Filmography of Amarnath, Husnlal and Bhagatram

naniwadekar

Apr 14, 2003, 3:55:54 AM4/14/03

Filmography of Amarnath, Husnlal and Bhagatram.

So far as I know, Amarnath was the eldest among the three
composer brothers. But it was Bhagatram who made his
debut first, in 1939. Amarnath would make his debut as MD
only in 1942. Husnlal made his debut in 1944 with brother
Bhagatram. S D Batish, their cousin, composed music for
films, too, and was a singer. Husnlal had sung a song
in Pyaar Kii Manzil (1950). I am not aware of any other
film song in his voice. He was a very highly accomplished
classical singer and violinist though his vocal recordings are
extremely rare. I don't know whether any violin samplers by
Husnlal survive. For his short vocal clip, see the Jogkauns
article at www.sawf.org/rajan .

Bhagatram did 9 films in 1939 and 1940, some of them
alone, some as joint MD. But none of these films had any
association with Husnlal as MD. The list comes to us
courtesy Gurcharan Sandhu.

---------------------------------------
Filmography of Bhagatram Batish before Husnlal joined him as partner
---------------------------------------

1939:
Bahaadur Ramesh
Bhedi Kumar
Chashmaawaali
Midnight Mail

1940:
Deepak Mahal (with Ramgopal Pande)
Hamaaraa Desh
Hatimtai Ki Beti (with Madhulal Damodar Master)
Sandeshaa
Thief of Taatar (Taataar Kaa Chor) (with Ramgopal Pande)

Bhagatram did not compose music for any film in 1941-1943
period. Husnlal-Bhagatram made their debut as a
composer-team with Chaand in 1944. I don't think Husnlal
ever scored music for any film without Bhagatram. And
Bhagatram did not do any film without Husnlal after their
debut as a team in 1944, AFAIK.

Does anybody know their years of birth?
Amarnath died around 1947.
Husnlal died on 28 December 1968.
Bhagatram died in November 1973.

The filmography of Husnlal & Bhagatram was posted on rmim
on 14 June 1996. I am reproducing it here.

---------------------------------------
Filmography of Husnlal-Bhagatram
---------------------------------------

1944 Chand
1946 Hum Ek Hain
Nargis
1947 Heera
Mirza Sahiban
Mohan
Romeo Juliet
1948 Aaj Ki Raat
Lakhpati
Pyar Ki Jeet
1949 Amar Kahani
Balam
Badi Bahen
Bansaria
Hamari Manzil
Jal Tarang
Naach
Raakhi
Sawan Bhadon
1950 Adhi Raat
Apni Chhaya
Birha Ki Raat
Chhoti Bhabhi
Gauna
Meena Bazaar
Pyar Ki Manzil
Sartaj
Surajmukhi
1951 Afsana
Sanam
Shagun
Stage
1952 Kafila
Raja Harishchandra
1953 Aansoo
Farmaish
1954 Shama Parwana
1955 Adl-e-Jahangir
Kanchan
Mr. Chakram
1956 Aan Baan
1957 Trolley Driver
1961 Apsara
1963 Shaheed Bhagat Singh
1965 Tarzan and the Circus
1966 Sher Afghan

Amarnath's filmography was supplied to me by Hamraaz.
Amarnath's span in films was quite brief. He made debut
as MD in 1942. He died in 1947 (or thereabouts). A few of
his films were released after his death, it seems.

---------------------------------------
Filmography of Amarnath
---------------------------------------

Nishaanii/1942
Paapii/1943
Daasii/1944
Irada/1944
Panchhi/1944
Dhamki/1945
Kaise Kahun/1945
Ragini/1945
Shirin Farhad/1945
Aai Bahar/1946
Jhumke/1946
Shahar Se Door/1946
Shalimar/1946
Sham Savera/1946
Mirza Sahiban/1947 (Some songs were recorded after
Amarnath's death by Husnlal-Bhagatram. But the tunes
were probably Amarnath's only.)
Roop Rekha/1948 (with Vidya Seth and S D Batish)
However, according to S D Batish, he never composed
music for any film as part of team.
Ek Teri Nishani/1949 (with Sardul Kwatra)
Naagan - 1940s. (with Harbanslal) - see the note below.

Alert - Garam Coat (1955) was not by this Amarnath. See
the note below.

The film Naagan and Kaaminii (MDed by Vinod) are 1940s
films which were not released. But both the films are
missing from the 1940s hfgk. They were included in the
1950s hfgk, edition one, by mistake. They have been
removed from edition two. Check the footnote on page 593
of the 1950s hfgk, edition two, for this information.

There was one more MD named Amarnath. He was a classical
singer and a disciple of Amir Khan Sahab. He scored music
for Garam Coat in 1955. I have no idea whether he scored
music for any other film or was just one-film wonder.

- dn

KIAnwar

Apr 14, 2003, 8:17:55 AM4/14/03

Pandit Amarnath composed one song in
PAGDANDI(1947) also -
tum jug jug jioo jahaN mein maaN ke jaaey
bhagwaan umeriya meri tumhein lagaaey
sung by Zeenat Begum.

Irfan

naniwadekar

Apr 14, 2003, 1:03:06 PM4/14/03

"KIAnwar" <kia...@aol.com> wrote -

Goodness; how could I forget about that additional piece
of information which was discussed on rmim last year. It
was even published in the Listeners' Bulletin (LB) as my discovery
though the real credit should go to Urzung Khan. Thanks,
Irfan Sahab, for the reminder. And, of course, Amarnath
even scored background music for Pagdandi.

Now that we are at it, let me add that Amarnath composed
most, probably all, of Master Madan's songs. Recently, the
bozos Gulzar and Jagjit Singh (IIRC) put together a CD
release of a collection of ghazals. The release claims that
Master Madan had himself composed his songs . That claim
is simply not true. A recent issue of LB had presented
a well-researched article on Master Madan in which Amarnath's
role as composer for the ill-fated boy's 78s was mentioned.
Master Madan was rather young when he died and he may
never have tried his hand at composing in any significant
manner in his much-hyped short life.

According to S D Batish, Amarnath was given the assignment
for Pancholi Art's film Patjhad (1948) but Pancholi and
Amarnath parted ways following some differences. The bible
credits the film to Ghulam Haider and S D Batish as joint MDs.
According to Batish, he did not compose anything for the film
and all songs must have been Ghulam Haider's only.

Does anybody have a partial/full list of Punjabi films for
which Amarnath, Husnlal or Bhagatram composed music?

In 1941, Prabhat Films released a film Padosi in Hindi.
Its Marathi version was named Shejaarii. The film was
made into Punjabi, too, under the name Govandhi (year
not known to me). Amarnath was its MD. I know of
three songs in the film. (Was this a Pancholi production?)

pagdi sambhal jattaa - S D Batish
gham dil na lagaa rakhi hai - Batish
maaze vich saaN - Zeenat Begum

- dn

Gurcharan Sandhu

Apr 14, 2003, 4:05:58 PM4/14/03
Pandit Amarnath's Punjabi films were

1. 'Gowaandi' (1942) which means neighbour from Cine Studios, Lahore, and
2. ' Koel' (1944) from Shorey Pictures, Lahore. Another film of the same
title
was produced in Pakistan in 1959 MDed by Khurshid Anwar.

Whereas Husnlal - Bhagatram's team had only 'Shah Ji' (1954) by Darbar
Theatres.

-gss

"naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Satish Kalra

Apr 14, 2003, 8:16:46 PM4/14/03
"naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

...snipped...

> Now that we are at it, let me add that Amarnath composed
> most, probably all, of Master Madan's songs. Recently, the
> bozos Gulzar and Jagjit Singh (IIRC) put together a CD
> release of a collection of ghazals.

Come on, Nani! You may not like their compositions/lyrics/singing -
whatever, but it still does not merit them to be called bozos.

They do have talent, immense talent - if I may say that. It may not be to
everybody's liking, but then that is what music is all about. Not everyone
likes everything. To each his own. Live and Let Live! :-)

...rest snipped too...

--
Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra

naniwadekar

Apr 14, 2003, 9:03:18 PM4/14/03

"Satish Kalra" <Satish...@verizon.net> wrote -

> > Now that we are at it, let me add that Amarnath composed
> > most, probably all, of Master Madan's songs. Recently, the
> > bozos Gulzar and Jagjit Singh (IIRC) put together a CD
> > release of a collection of ghazals.
>
> Come on, Nani! You may not like their compositions/lyrics/singing -
> whatever, but it still does not merit them to be called bozos.

Let me clarify. I called them bozos only because they made
such a major blunder of crediting Master Madan of having
composed his own songs when he was so young. It has been
known for quite some time that Amarnath had composed
the songs included by Jagjit Singh and Gulzar in their release.
But then announcing that the boy had composed his songs
himself offers easy route, you don't need to check that credits
are correct, the boy is invested with a halo and even the
compilers can bask in its reflection. Everyone is happy that
way; facts be damned.

Gulzar - I know very little about him except that he is made
fun of quite often on rmim.

Jagjit Singh is not without talent; I agree.

- dn

Satish Kalra

Apr 14, 2003, 9:36:51 PM4/14/03

> "Satish Kalra" <Satish...@verizon.net> wrote -
> > >
> > > Now that we are at it, let me add that Amarnath composed
> > > most, probably all, of Master Madan's songs. Recently, the
> > > bozos Gulzar and Jagjit Singh (IIRC) put together a CD
> > > release of a collection of ghazals.
> >
> > Come on, Nani! You may not like their compositions/lyrics/singing -
> > whatever, but it still does not merit them to be called bozos.
> >

> Let me clarify. I called them bozos only because they made
> such a major blunder of crediting Master Madan of having
> composed his own songs when he was so young. It has been
> known for quite some time that Amarnath had composed
> the songs included by Jagjit Singh and Gulzar in their release.

I would suspect that the information about who composed what might have been
fed to them by the music company that released those CDs/tapes, which in
this case most likely would be HMV. And most RMIMers know how much to trust
them, especially when related to classics, etc.

...snipped...

> Gulzar - I know very little about him except that he is made
> fun of quite often on rmim.

At the same time, also very much liked and to quite an extent, reverred too,
at least by yours truly. I like him for his sheer imagination, e.g., in the
song, "hawaaon pelikh do.......shaakh par jab dhuup aayii haath chhuune ke
liye, chaanv jhat se niiche kuudii, hans ke bolii aa_iiye, yahaan subaha se
khelaa karatii hai shaam....", in Do Dooni Chaar, sung by Kishore Kumar,
lyricist Gulzar, music Hemant Kumar.

Sorry, couldn't resist that reference to the rhyming names of the singer,
lyricist, MD and the film's name. :-)

All the poet is saying that the sun has risen and is shining brightly on the
trees/branches. But what a beautiful way to convey the same.

Similarly, in the Khushboo song, "bechaaraa dil kyaa kare...", the poet
builds up the beating of the heart "ik pal ruke ik pal chale..." seamlessly
into the waiting game of "do pal kii raah nahiin...".

...rest snipped...

Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra

Surjit Singh

Apr 16, 2003, 2:09:19 AM4/16/03
naniwadekar wrote:

> Gulzar - I know very little about him except that he is made
> fun of quite often on rmim.

Lots of people are made fun of quite often on rmim, including you and
yours truly. But gulzar is worshipped too!

I am very ignorant about poetry; when people say sahir was the best or
when majarooh says he is as good as sahir, I don't know. So cannot say
much about gulzar's poetry, that's what is made fun of often.

But, in my opinion, as far as direction is concerned, gulzar is a very
worthy successor to the chain barua -> bimal roy -> H. mukherjee

--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html

naniwadekar

Apr 16, 2003, 3:52:14 AM4/16/03

"Surjit Singh" <surjit...@yahoo.com> wrote -

> I am very ignorant about poetry; when people say sahir was the best or
> when majarooh says he is as good as sahir, I don't know.

If I recall correctly, you had suggested that lyricists should
be represented when choosing the top 10 personalities in
the world of Hindi film music. I am now surprised that you
consider yourself ignorant about film poetry. Did you make
that suggestion, and correct me if you did not do so, out of
a wish to be even-handed?

An aside - If at all I play the game of choosing top-ten names,
Lata will of course walk in. For the remaining nine, Saigal would
be in for historical reasons; of course his case can be argued on
sheer merit, too. I should strongly consider selecting only
the music directors for the remaining 8 spots and I say this in spite
of my ignorance about film poetry. Poets may have contributed
to whatever extent they have. Singers have certainly contributed.
But the story of film music's glory years is primarily about our
incredible assembly line of truly great composers. All the singers
(except Lata) and all the lyricists can be replaced by a lesser
batch of deputies. And the MDs would still know how to craft
masterpieces out of the resources available to them.

- dn

Nimish

Apr 16, 2003, 3:55:33 AM4/16/03
"Satish Kalra" <Satish...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "naniwadekar" <nani3...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Gulzar - I know very little about him except that he is made
> > fun of quite often on rmim.
>
> At the same time, also very much liked and to quite an extent,
reverred too,
> at least by yours truly. I like him for his sheer imagination,
e.g., in the
> song, "hawaaon pelikh do.......shaakh par jab dhuup aayii haath
chhuune ke
> liye, chaanv jhat se niiche kuudii, hans ke bolii aa_iiye, yahaan
subaha se
> khelaa karatii hai shaam....", in Do Dooni Chaar, sung by Kishore
Kumar,
> lyricist Gulzar, music Hemant Kumar.
>
> Sorry, couldn't resist that reference to the rhyming names of the
singer,
> lyricist, MD and the film's name. :-)
>
> All the poet is saying that the sun has risen and is shining
brightly on the
> trees/branches. But what a beautiful way to convey the same.
>
> Similarly, in the Khushboo song, "bechaaraa dil kyaa kare...", the
poet
> builds up the beating of the heart "ik pal ruke ik pal chale..."
seamlessly
> into the waiting game of "do pal kii raah nahiin...".

Gulzar is definitely worthy of admiration as a poet and lyricist, IMO.
He does have some weird ways of conveying his thoughts at times. But
many times he shows enough intellect to pull of such stunts. His works
for Jagjit Singh's album Marasim is definitely commedable and ranks
among my personal favorites.

His overuse of strange expressions such as "gilii ha.Nsii", "namak
bhare samu.ndar" etc. put me off. However, recently in one of the
Sathiyaa songs he has used the expression "kaale kos" for describing
painful distances which amuses me.

Many lyricists have before used famous Ghazals of famous shairs to
manipulate and make them sound like song lyrics. Gulzar's way of doing
this rather unique. He often keeps the original Ghazal in an overtly
identifiable form. [For example "dil Dhuu.NDhataa hai phir vohii" or
recently alluded "zi-haal-e-maskii.n"] I like his way of doing it. He
does not try to hide the fact that he has been positively inspired by
someone's work. At the same time he makes sure that he puts in enough
spark of his own for those poems to bear his distinct mark.

His association with RDB has now been stamped by HMV with "For Sale".
Albums have been released in which Gulzar talks about RDB in a pensive
mood. These things have never appealed me and they tend to turn me
against the RDB/Gulzar hype even more. I hope they stop this before I
have to black list Gulzar.

- Nimish

Sudhir

Apr 16, 2003, 6:21:17 AM4/16/03
For Husnlal Bhagatram
=====================

Please add 2 songs from the 50s un-released film: Kya Baat Hai

They are listed at the end in HFGK / Vol 3 / 1st Edition

Sudhir

naniwadekar

Apr 16, 2003, 6:51:31 AM4/16/03

"Sudhir" <maild...@yahoo.com> wrote -

> Please add 2 songs from the 50s un-released film: Kya Baat Hai
> They are listed at the end in HFGK / Vol 3 / 1st Edition

And 4 songs from Baambii, listed near the end of HFGK, vol 2.
It was a 1940s unreleased fim.

I had just cut-pasted the Husnlal-Bhagatram filmography.
But I have just run an eye over it and I must add that the
inclusion of Mirza Sahiban (1947) in their filmography
should carry a big asterisk as it was an Amarnath film.

Laxmi-Pyare's Daastaan had re-used Husnlal-Bhagatram's
short song 'abhii to mai.n jawaan huu.N' from Afsana. I don't
know whether the hfgk entry for Daastaan mentions this.
But however that might be, I guess we can ignore that bit.

- dn

Surjit Singh

Apr 17, 2003, 12:09:43 AM4/17/03
naniwadekar wrote:
> "Surjit Singh" <surjit...@yahoo.com> wrote -
>
>>I am very ignorant about poetry; when people say sahir was the best or
>>when majarooh says he is as good as sahir, I don't know.
>>

> If I recall correctly, you had suggested that lyricists should
> be represented when choosing the top 10 personalities in
> the world of Hindi film music. I am now surprised that you
> consider yourself ignorant about film poetry. Did you make
> that suggestion, and correct me if you did not do so, out of
> a wish to be even-handed?

Yes, fairness. People like UVR like songs because of poetry and lyrics
and others like Malini have memorized hundreds (if not more) lyrics.

About top 10. I think there are too many Hindi movies and film
personalities. So we should probably make a list of top 10 from every
HFGK volme or even every year. I had been declaring songs and movies to
be in my top ten list when Srinivas Ganti caught me being close to 10. I
had to declare that I have many top 10 lists!

About my abilities. If we rank poets/lyricists from 1 to 10, I can
easily distinguish between a 1 (say bakshi) and an 10 (say sahir), but
not between a 7 (say gulzar) and a 10 (say sahir).

> An aside - If at all I play the game of choosing top-ten names,
> Lata will of course walk in. For the remaining nine, Saigal would
> be in for historical reasons; of course his case can be argued on
> sheer merit, too. I should strongly consider selecting only
> the music directors for the remaining 8 spots and I say this in spite
> of my ignorance about film poetry. Poets may have contributed
> to whatever extent they have. Singers have certainly contributed.
> But the story of film music's glory years is primarily about our
> incredible assembly line of truly great composers. All the singers
> (except Lata) and all the lyricists can be replaced by a lesser
> batch of deputies. And the MDs would still know how to craft
> masterpieces out of the resources available to them.
>
> - dn

Urzung Khan

May 2, 2003, 9:50:09 AM5/2/03

naniwadekar wrote:

> "KIAnwar" <kia...@aol.com> wrote -
> >
> > Pandit Amarnath composed one song in
> > PAGDANDI(1947) also -
> > tum jug jug jioo jahaN mein maaN ke jaaey
> > bhagwaan umeriya meri tumhein lagaaey
> > sung by Zeenat Begum.
> >
> > Irfan
> >

> Goodness; how could I forget about that additional piece
> of information which was discussed on rmim last year. It
> was even published in the Listeners' Bulletin (LB) as my discovery
> though the real credit should go to Urzung Khan. Thanks,
> Irfan Sahab, for the reminder. And, of course, Amarnath
> even scored background music for Pagdandi.

Evedently LB mentions only reliable sources :)

> According to S D Batish, Amarnath was given the assignment
> for Pancholi Art's film Patjhad (1948) but Pancholi and
> Amarnath parted ways following some differences. The bible
> credits the film to Ghulam Haider and S D Batish as joint MDs.
> According to Batish, he did not compose anything for the film
> and all songs must have been Ghulam Haider's only.

Perhaps there is some confusion about the name Amarnath here.
One Amarnath who certainly was not Amarnath,the MD, acted as
hero in this movie.

> In 1941, Prabhat Films released a film Padosi in Hindi.
> Its Marathi version was named Shejaarii. The film was
> made into Punjabi, too, under the name Govandhi (year
> not known to me). Amarnath was its MD. I know of
> three songs in the film. (Was this a Pancholi production?)

No.

Urzung Khan