Kishore Kumar in a 'classical' mood?

Jav

Dec 9, 2003, 5:42:30 AM12/9/03
Hi

It has been well-documented that Kishore Kumar didn't know Indian
classical music. However, I believe that he did sing some songs which
had a classical 'feel', such as Payal Wali Dekh Na. Does anyone know
of other examples?

Satya Thakkar

Dec 9, 2003, 3:20:21 PM12/9/03

There was one in Padosan, Ek Chatur naar, where he competed pretty well with
Manna Dey. However, the best example of Kishoreda in Classical song would be
an R. D. Burman number, Mere Naina Saawan Bhaadon. Superb rendition! I guess
there are some other songs also which are semi classical type, however these
are the two that pop up right now.

"Jav" <javid...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

yeskay

Dec 9, 2003, 3:21:42 PM12/9/03

On 12/09/03 03:20 PM, Satya Thakkar wrote:
> Hi,

> However, the best example of Kishoreda in Classical song would be
> an R. D. Burman number, Mere Naina Saawan Bhaadon.

Legned has it that RDB was fed up with KK messing up the song so much,
asked Lata to sing the song first and then asked KK to sing just like
that.

yeskay

Dec 9, 2003, 3:22:48 PM12/9/03

On 12/09/03 03:21 PM, yeskay wrote:

> On 12/09/03 03:20 PM, Satya Thakkar wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>However, the best example of Kishoreda in Classical song would be
>>an R. D. Burman number, Mere Naina Saawan Bhaadon.
>

> Legned has it that RDB was fed up with KK messing up the song so much,

^^^^^^

The word you are looking for is "Legend'.

Animesh Kumar

Dec 9, 2003, 8:01:25 PM12/9/03

yeskay wrote:

> On 12/09/03 03:21 PM, yeskay wrote:
>
>>On 12/09/03 03:20 PM, Satya Thakkar wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>However, the best example of Kishoreda in Classical song would be
>>>an R. D. Burman number, Mere Naina Saawan Bhaadon.
>>

>>Legned has it that RDB was fed up with KK messing up the song so much,
>
> ^^^^^^
>
> The word you are looking for is "Legend'.

God knows the truth but based on a Pancham, Gulzar, Asha discussion
posted by Vinay, the story is like this

Kishore refused to sing when RDB said it is in a classical raag. RDB
said you have finished singing all the songs, who will sing if you will
not. Kishore replied, remove the raag or else I will not sing, I dont
know about the raag. SO they struck out a deal that Lata will sing
first, Kishore will listen and imitate it

best regards
Animesh

Ashok

Dec 10, 2003, 4:15:48 AM12/10/03
In article <3FD62ED6...@nowhere.com>, yes...@nowhere.com says...

In article <3FD62F18...@nowhere.com>, yes...@nowhere.com says...

>> Legned has it that RDB was fed up with KK messing up the song so much,
> ^^^^^^
>
>The word you are looking for is "Legend'.
>
>> asked Lata to sing the song first and then asked KK to sing just like
>> that.

Who is looking for the word and who is doing the pointing out?

Ashok

Shree

Dec 10, 2003, 4:35:41 AM12/10/03
Animesh Kumar <ani...@eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message news:<br5r96$1qo4$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>...

I can't see what the fuss is about ! KK has sung so many other songs
that are classical based, and most of the filmy songs are based on
this-or-that raga anyway.

--Shree

Abhay Phadnis

Dec 10, 2003, 4:42:15 AM12/10/03
"Animesh Kumar" <ani...@eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
(snip)

> God knows the truth but based on a Pancham, Gulzar, Asha discussion
> posted by Vinay, the story is like this
>
> Kishore refused to sing when RDB said it is in a classical raag. RDB
> said you have finished singing all the songs, who will sing if you will
> not. Kishore replied, remove the raag or else I will not sing, I dont

Er...exactly how would one 'remove the raag' from the song?

Note to the initiator of this thread: one way of finding Kishore Kumar's
classical numbers would be to go to the RMIC archives and search for posts
by Rajan Parrikar that include KK's name. (You could also try searching for
"Khandwa gharana"! :))

Warm regards,
Abhay

Sudhir

Dec 10, 2003, 4:57:29 AM12/10/03
Q: How about KUDRAT's / Hamen Tum Se Pyar Kitna

Is it based on some Raag ?

Sudhir

----------------------------

SM246

Dec 10, 2003, 6:28:57 AM12/10/03
I heard the Pancham, Gulzar, Asha discussion myself on Vividh Bharti in
the late '80s, and I can confirm that Vinay has captured it verbatim.
The trio used to chat on Vividh Bharti every morning from about 7:15am
for about 15/20 minutes and was really great. I just wish they will
release the recordings some day.

Regards,
Sharad

Abhay Jain

Dec 10, 2003, 8:37:22 AM12/10/03

"Ashok" <adhar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

That was a good catch Ashok. It is the same guy.

UVR

Dec 10, 2003, 9:57:41 AM12/10/03
Abhay Phadnis wrote:
> "Animesh Kumar" <ani...@eecs.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
> (snip)
>
>>God knows the truth but based on a Pancham, Gulzar, Asha discussion
>>posted by Vinay, the story is like this
>>
>> Kishore refused to sing when RDB said it is in a classical raag. RDB
>>said you have finished singing all the songs, who will sing if you will
>>not. Kishore replied, remove the raag or else I will not sing, I dont
>>know about the raag. SO they struck out a deal that Lata will sing
>>first, Kishore will listen and imitate it
>
> Er...exactly how would one 'remove the raag' from the song?

Methinks you're taking a rather pedantic view of the word 'raag'.

In common parlance, the word 'raag' also refers to short aalaaps
and/or extended aa-aa, o-o segments, such as those that occur in
some film songs. Specifically in 'mere nainaa', observe the
difference between how the Lata and Kishore vesions start off --
in the former there is an extended "o~ o~ o~" segment, there is
but a "hmm hmm ... aa haa haa" in the latter. I'm pretty sure
Kishore and RDB were talking about 'raag' in this sense and, not
only did Kishore request it, but RDB also did 'remove the raag'
from the Kishore version.

Then again, if Kishore said he would 'listen [to] and imitate'
Lata, why didn't he? [FWIW, I think the Kishore version of the
song is the better one.]

-UVR.

Uttam

Dec 13, 2003, 11:59:38 PM12/13/03
By RDB's own admission (I heard this on some tape I have), when KK
heard the tune, he said that he was incapable of rendering the song.
When he was told that there was to be a Lata version too, he asked RDB
to record Lata's version first, then he would simply sing exactly (in
RDB's Bambaiya Hindi "Vaisehich gaaunga") in the same way that Lata
had sung.

IMHO, Lata is technically beautiful in the song, but the "dard" in the
voice of KK is unrivalled!

Oddly enough from Kazaa, someone downloaded an on stage recording of
KK rendering this song. Equally beautiful but completely devoid of
the "dard" in keeping with the atmosphere - light, evening of good
music.

KK WAS INDEED A GENIUS!

Cheers!

Uttam

========================

kcp

Dec 20, 2003, 3:46:21 AM12/20/03
RDB -
Ye Gaana Latabai Ne Bhi Gaayi Aur Kishoreda Ne Bhi Gaaya..Kishoreda
Aise Singer The Jo I Mean, God Gifted Singer Bola Jaata Hai Unhone
Kabhi Kahin Se Seekha Bhai Nahi Koyi Cheez...Jo Sun Lete The Woh By
Heart Kar Lete The Aur Gaate The....To Maine Jab Ye Gaana Sunaaya To
Pehle Kishoreda Ne Kaha Ki Nahi Bhai Ye To Mujhse Hoga Nahi Main
Gaaoonga Hi Nahi..Ye Gaana Main Gaa Nahi Sakta Hoon Tum Lata Ko Pehle
Record Karaaoo...Maine Lata Ke Paas Jaake Request Kiya To She Sang
This Song...
Maine Kaha Ki Ye Shivranjani Raag Hai..To Woh Bole Ke Raag Ki Aisi Ki
Taisi... Mujhe Woh Gaana Sunaaoo Main By Heart Karke Waisa Hich
Gaaoonga...To Unhone Woh Gaana Suna Aur Sunke Kam Se Kam Saat Din
Sune..Kitna Sincere The Zara Sochiye...Jis Din Aake Gaaye Aisa Nahi
Lag Raha Tha Ki Woh Sekh Ke Gaaye Lag Raha Tha Ki Woh Man Se Hi Gaa
Rahe Hai.

kcp

Jan 11, 2004, 8:11:15 AM1/11/04
apne jeevan ki uljhan ko ahir bhairav
apna dard chhupana hain to bhairavi
beqaraar dil tu gaaye jaa bhairavi
chali re chali re gori pania bharan ko bhairavi
chingari koyi bhadke bhairavi
dil aaj shaayar hain bhairavi
ek din aaro gelo bhairavi
hume tumse pyar kitna bhairavi
humraahi manzil ke bhairavi
ik raasta hain zindagi bhairavi
jaago sonewaalo bhairavi
koyi hota jisko apna bhairavi
mere mehboob qayamat hogi bhairavi
rimjhim gire sawan bhairavi
thoda hain thode ki bhairavi
thodi si jo pee lee hain bhairavi
yaadon ki baraat bhairavi
yaadon mein woh bhairavi
zindagi pyar ka geet hain bhairavi
khilte hain gul yahan bhimpalasi
zindagi ke safar mein guzar jaate hain bihag
yeh duniya waale poochhenge bihag based
bhalobashar aagun jwele bihag-based - bengali ( composed by kk )
rungoli sajaao re bilawal based
kabhi beqasi ne maara darbari
ke pagh ghungroo darbari
woh dekhen to unki inayaat gaud sarang based
ek chatur naar jhinjhoti ( deviates to tilang (are dekhi teri
chaturai) & nat-bilawal (kaaga re jaa re jaa re) )
koyi humdum na raha jhinjhoti
bujhte naari naari ki chaye kafi ( bengali )
naghma-e-sher kalavati
chhalaki chhalaki man khamaj ( bengali )
pathbhula ek aaya musafir khamaj ( composed by KK )
amaar moner ei mayur mahale malgunji ( bengali )
jeevan se bhari malgunji
payalwaali dekhna marubihag
noyon shoroshi keno mishra bhairavi ( bengali )
kuchh to log kahenge mishra khamaj
tere mere milan ke yeh raina mishra khamaj
panthi hoon main mishra pilu
roop tera aisa darpan mein na samaay nand & hameer based
ankhon mein humne aapke pahadi
chandni raat mein pahadi
jeevan se na haar jeene waale pahadi
kanchi re kanchi pahadi
karwaten badalte rahen pahadi
kitni khubsoorat yeh tasveer hain pahadi
kora kaagaz tha yeh man pahadi
machalti hui hawa mein pahadi
phoolon ke rang se pahadi
phoolon ki zubaan pahadi
tere phoolon jaise rang pahadi
hasrat hi rahi humse bhi kahin pilu
khushi do ghadi ki pilu
meri neendon mein tum pilu
miltey hi nazar pilu
yeh raaten yeh mausam pilu
amaar dweep nebhano raat puriya kalyan ( bengali )
hamaari zid hain ke puriya kalyan
asha chhilo shivaranjani ( bengali )
mere naina sawan bhado shivaranjani
yun neend se who jaane chaman shyam kalyan
kaise kahen hum pyar ne humko tilang
aap ke anurodh pe yaman kalyan
aap ki aankhon mein kuchh yaman kalyan
jaane kya sochkar nahin guzra yaman kalyan
log kehte hain main sharaabi hoon yaman kalyan
salaam-e-ishq yaman kalyan
savere ka suraj yaman kalyan
woh shaam kuchh ajeeb thi yaman kalyan
Aa mohabbat ki basti Yaman Kalyan ( Has a touch of puriya kalyan - the
concluding flute-piece where the komal rishabh is touched )
Aaj madhosh hua jaaye Yaman Kalyan
Aaj Mujhe Jal Jaane Malkauns
Aaye tum yaad mujhe Ahir Bhairav + Bhairavi
Ankhiyon Ka Kajra Jayjayvanti
Apni to Jaise Taise Bhairavi
Bidhir Bandhon Khamaj ( bengali )
Chalte Chalte Peeche Madmaad Sarang
Chehra Hai Ya Bhairavi
Dekha ek khwaab to Pahadi
Dekho o diwaano Bhairavi
Gaata Rahe Mera Dil Pahari
Ghungaroo Ki Tarah Jhinjoti
Gori Gori Gaaon Ki Gori Re Tilang + Khamaj
Hamein Tumse Pyaar Kitna Bhairawi
Hawaon Pe Likh Do Malkauns
Hum dono do premi Madmad Sarang
Husn Bhi Udaas Hai Bagesri
Is mod se jaate hain Yaman
Jagamag jagmag karta Maalgunji
Jeevan ke safar mein Yaman Kalyan
Jin raaton ki bhor nahi Bhairavi
Kabke Bichhde Shivranjini
Kahdo kehdo Yaman
Khushiyan Yahi Pe Milengi Shankara + Bhoopali
Kuch Log Mohabbat Karke Todi
Kya nazaare Raageshri + Maalgunji
Maine Dekha Tujeh Gara
Marne ki duayen kyon Jayjayvanti + Gara
Mere Deewanepan Ki Tilang
Mere nasseb mein aye dost Yaman Kalyan ?
Meri bheegi bheegi si Bhairavi
Na Jane Din Kaise Yaman
Priye Praneshwari Kafi + Pilu
Roop Tera Aisa Nand + Hameer + Bihag
Sa Re ke Sa Re Ga Ma ko Alaiyya Bilawal
Shaayad meri shaadi Bhairavi
Tera Chehra Muzhe Gulaab Lage Kalyan
Tere Chehre se nazar Bhairavi
Tu Ne Hame Kya Diya Piloo
Tum aa gaye ho Khamaj ?
Tum Jahan Jahan Bhairavi
Tum Meri Zindagi Mein Kuch Is Tarah Nat ?
Ulfat Mein Zamane Kalavati
Yeh Pardes Apna Shankara
Zindagi aa raha hoon main Yaman

...and hundreds more :D