Ghazal from PAKEEZAH ... who sang it ?

Muzafar Mirza

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Hello All -

Can someone help ... ???

There's a song in the film Pakeezah called 'Yeh Duhan Kahan Se Uthta Hai' -
it's the background song when Meena Kumari goes to meet her friend (Bibban)
and they discuss the letter that she found ...
anyway - the song isn't on ANY of the numerous soundtrack albums
released -so I was wondering if anyone knows who sang it and if it is
available anywhere ... !!!

Many thanks in advance.

S44218

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
I thought it was Parveen Sultana who sang that ghazal. I remember it being sung
a long time back by Mehdi Hassan (same tune, but different style). I am
thinking it might have been Shobha Gurtu, but I am pretty sure it was Parveen.

Yours,
Sandip.

Muzafar Mirza

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
Thanks you Sandip -

I thought that someone has re-sung it - It's a shame because it's my
favourite song from the film - it's sung so beutifully - but I've never
heard it in it's entirety ... if anyone know where I can get hold of a full
version of this Ghazal please could you get in touch !

Many thanks.

S44218 <s44...@aol.com> wrote in message

Ashok

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
In article <852v77$b1g$1...@nclient13-gui.server.virgin.net>, muzafa...@virgin.net
says...

'Pakeezah' soundtrack is a veritable treasurehouse of music. In addition
to the wonderful songs presented in the customary straightforward style,
in their entirety, a large number of songs were embedded in the in the
soundscript throughout. Quite often more than one song can be heard at
the same time! e.g., A song playing in the bazaar with a different melody
wafting in from a nearby kotha or more than one singer doing riyaaz.

In 1977, HMV released an LP title 'Pakeezah Rang Birang', consisting of
a number of such songs and a variant recording--solo version of "chalo
dildaar chalo" and a recitation by Meena Kumari. I was very pleased when
finally I got my hands on it through the CD that packaged the two together
(minus a Shamshad Begum song from Rang Birang). It presents full versions
of a number of gems that one gets to hear only in snatches, often underlying
dialogue or commentary, while watching the film.

But Rang Birang includes only a part of this treasure. For example, it
omits even the lovely taan by Lata during the film credits. If you try
to record onto audio using the video version of the film and include all
portions that have interesting music, it runs to far in excess of an
hour and you get only bits and pieces of many beautiful songs. Assuming
that all the songs were recorded in full before being used as background
sound material, I think one would need two full-length CDs to present
all the music (perhaps more). I personally think it would be a more
worthwhile project for Naushad to undertake than some of his recent
efforts.

{Another film that was Hollywood-ish in presenting songs in fragments
as part of the background score was the mid-1970s 'Shaq', the last
soundtrack of Vasant Desai with lyrics by Gulzar. Some of the fragments
were exquisite. It's another film for which I would like to see the
filmmakers and HMV take the next Hollywood step of releaseing the
soundtrack as CD/cassette with complete versions of these songs.)

One of the gems from 'Pakeezah' yet to be heard in full is the
Mir ghazal "ye dhuaa.N saa kahaa.N se uThataa hai". Not sure who
sings it. The scene starts with "kaun gali gayo shyaam" in the
background, which segues into this song. I don't remember if the
film credits gave a complete list of playback singers, but just based
on the released songs, the soundtrack features quite a few female
singers. In addition to Lata, we have: Suman, Vani Jairam, Rajkumari,
Shamshad, Parveen, and Shobha Gurtu. (Have I left out any?)

I have never heard a full version of the ghazal. The following exchange
--between Vijay (he of the vijaykuma_r persuasion!) and Yogesh Sethi on
ALUP--gives yoy a potential soucrce. The opening sher was also discussed
by Abhay Avachat, he of the legendary ASAS series. (Where is he now?)

Ashok

---------------------------
This is the half-century of this series !

And keeping with the tradition (!), it's time for a Sher praising a
great Shayar and also for a Sher by GHalib. Of course, both the
objectives can be met as usual in one Sher :-)

Mehdi Hasan has done a truely fanastic job with this GHazal.

dekh to, dil ki jaaN se uTHataa hai
ye dhuaaN sa, kahaaN se uTHataa hai

So much 'dard' in just one Sher is possible only with 'Mir' Taqi Mir !

But very surprisingly, there are very very few GHazals by Mir which have
been sung ! I don't remember anybody except Mehdi Hasan singing a GHazal
by Mir. What surprises me, is not just because of the fact that Mir is
perhaps the greatest of all the Shayars. But his GHazals are amazingly
simple to understand and appreciate. Also, *music* is integral part of
Mir's Shayari. His style was conversationalist, using more of Urdu and
Hindi than Farasi. And the fluidity, the rhythm is always present.

About his style, the great Zauk (a contemporary of GHalib) said ...

na huaa, par na huaa, 'Mir' ka andaaz naseeb !
'Zauk', yaaroN ne bahut zor, GHazal me maaraa !!

In his compilation of "Deewan-e-Mir", Ali Sardar Jafferey says a lot
about Mir's greatness in just one paragraph. I cannot resist the
temptation of loosely translating it.

Shayar has been given the status of "KHuda ka shishya", and has been
placed as "Paigambar" too. But Mir Taqi Mir is the only Shayar who
is called as "Shayari ka KHuda" !! Mir is not the only one to be
called as the greatest ever. But still it's a fact that Mir tops the
list of Urdu Shayars. Today, Ghalib and Iqbal are more popular than
Mir. Their books sell more, their Shers are more known. But the
greatness of Ghalib and Iqbal has been challenged. But no Shayar in
any period has dared to challenge Mir's greatness.

What a praise !

And if you are not yet convinced, here is one by GHalib ...

aqeedaa = belief
bakaule-'Naasikh' = according to Naasikh (another poet)
be-bahara = unfortunate/stupid
motakid-e-'Mir' = Mir ke prati shraddha rakhane_waale

'GHalib', apanaa to aqeedaa hai bakaule-'Naasikh'
aap be-bahara haiN, jo motakid-e-'Mir' nahiN

Forget the Urdu, what GHalib says is - if you are not a worshiper of
Mir, then you are stupid !!

Now you can sure appreciate, why Mir is so respected !
I would try to find every excuse to post a Mir's sher. Promise.

- Abhay.
ASAD _also_ stands for "A Sher A Day" !
-----------------------

Way back, I think in 1981, I attneded a live concert of Mehdi Hassan
in Manchester, UK. He opened 'yeh dhUaaN sa kahaN se uthta hai' with a
dohaa by Miira. I can't remember the words but it was a very
impressive mix of shudh hindi merging 'dhUaaN like' into urdu. Never
heard it on any recording since.

Vijay Kumar

In article <7vq2gf$9ua$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
yogesh...@my-deja.com wrote:

After such a glowing description, my curiosity was aroused! I finally
located, at least, a similar rendition. It was worth the trouble.
Mehdi Hassan is at his very best here and the blending part is indeed quite
extraordinary. The transition from 'dukh' to dekh' gives it a very
smooth touch. Here is how the opening goes:

bastii
bastii khaak bhii hai
ja.ngal me.n
ja.ngal me.n aa mitu_aa
balkhaataa uThe jaise kaale naag
dukh to dil ke jaa.n se uThataa hai

dekh to dil ke jaa.n se uThataa hai
ye dhu_aa.n saa kahaa.n se uThataa hai

There does not appear to be much in the initial words. But listening
to it, from the master, is another experience. I found this remarkable
composition under the title 'The best of Mehdi Hassan', Music India,
CDNF 031, 1996.

Regards,
Yogesh Sethi

Excellent Yogesh sahib, excellent. I have heard this version but could
never make out the words of the opener. I am still not quite clear
about the first line and a half. But I agree that that the transition
to 'dekh to dil ke jaaN se uthta hai' is magical. Would anyone happen
to know if the words occur in same or similar form in any dohaa by
Miiraa? It is more than likely that this is the version Mehdii Hassan
sang in the concert I alluded to. BTW, isn't it 'Bastii bastii
Khak 'uRe' hai'?

Thanks,

Respectfully,

Vijay Kumar
--------------------------

Sydney Assbasket

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
>In 1977, HMV released an LP title 'Pakeezah Rang Birang', consisting of
>a number of such songs and a variant recording--solo version of "chalo
>dildaar chalo" and a recitation by Meena Kumari. I was very pleased when
>finally I got my hands on it through the CD that packaged the two together
>(minus a Shamshad Begum song from Rang Birang). It presents full versions
>of a number of gems that one gets to hear only in snatches, often underlying
>dialogue or commentary, while watching the film.

I have 2 questions:

1) What is the exact title and serial number of the CD that you said packaged
the two together?

2) Is there some place where I can find the original "Pakeezah Rang Birang" LP?

The Indian DVD Resource: http://www.fly.to/indiadvd

teamdiscov...@hotmail.com

Remove "bination" to reply.

TONY PABLA

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
TRY FRIENDSE...@USA.NET
THEY ARE BASED IN THE UK. THEY SHOULD BE ABLE TO HELP YOU.

Muzafar Mirza <muzafa...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Muzafar Mirza

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Ashok -

Thanks a million !!!

The information is fantastic ... and extremly interesting.

Thanks for your response.

Muzafar.

--------------

Hi Sydney -

I already have two copies of this CD - both which have been packaged
differently. The first CD is titled Pakeezah & Pakeezah Rang Barang (CD
PMLP 5523) - 17 tracks (9 from the Pakeezah Soundtrack and 7 from Pakeezah
Rang Barang) ... The next CD comes under the 'Classic Films' range of CDs
and is tiled 'Pakeezah' (CDNF 130031) - it has exactly the same track
listing as the first CD (Both released by HMV). My main reason for buying
the second CD was simply because I had hoped that HMV may have cleaned the
sound up as the first CD is pretty horrific - but to my dissapointment
inside the nice new packaging was exactly the same CD as before - with
exactly the same label but a different cat. no ... oh well ! - I've been
looking all over the Uk for the original LP of Pakeezah Rang Barang - as I'm
sure it will be better quality than the CD - but I've had no luck so far.
My Dad remember's seeing it in a local shop sometime in the mid-seventies -
and bless him he declined buying it - favouring a fantastic K.L. Saigal
album over it !!!

Anyway - if you have any luck finding it please let me know - also I have
mailed HMV several times about releasing the entire Pakeezah soundtrack ...
but they have never replied ... the only track missing from the 5 (!!!)
different CDs available for Pakeezah is the Ghazal that my query was about

Thanks for your enquiry and response.

Muzafar.

Sydney Assbasket <drag...@aol.combination> wrote in message

> >In 1977, HMV released an LP title 'Pakeezah Rang Birang', consisting of
> >a number of such songs and a variant recording--solo version of "chalo
> >dildaar chalo" and a recitation by Meena Kumari. I was very pleased when
> >finally I got my hands on it through the CD that packaged the two
together
> >(minus a Shamshad Begum song from Rang Birang). It presents full
versions
> >of a number of gems that one gets to hear only in snatches, often
underlying
> >dialogue or commentary, while watching the film.

SKalra902

Jan 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/22/00
OK. I"ll have to dig out my Paakeezah Rang Birang LP and ...........
Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

Shafik Khan

Nov 10, 2020, 2:16:27 PM11/10/20
On Thursday, 6 January 2000 at 03:00:00 UTC-5, Muzafar Mirza wrote:
> Hello All -
> Can someone help ... ???
> There's a song in the film Pakeezah called 'Yeh Duhan Kahan Se Uthta Hai' -
> it's the background song when Meena Kumari goes to meet her friend (Bibban)
> and they discuss the letter that she found ...
> anyway - the song isn't on ANY of the numerous soundtrack albums
> released -so I was wondering if anyone knows who sang it and if it is
> available anywhere ... !!!
> Many thanks in advance.

HELLO ALL,
'Ye Dhuan sa kaha se oothta hai' sung by NASREEN BANO CHOPRA for Pakeezah movie. And her voice took this kalam to a diffrent level, Ek aah si thi uski awaz mai, ek kasak aur tadap ki shikayat. Mehdi saheb ne Nasreen ki tarz ko hi follow kiya tha ya yu kahiye ki unse inspire hoker apni awaz mai Nasreen ki tarz per gayee thi.