Lyrics for three film songs

Dan

Apr 10, 2005, 8:44:39 PM4/10/05
I am looking for lyrics (translated into English) for three old film
songs. Perhaps you know of a source for me? Perhaps some web site?
These are the songs:

Bedardi Mere Saiyan -- from the film Chaudhvin Ka Chand

Piya Aiso Jiya Mein -- from the film Sahim Bibi Aur Ghulam

Dil Ki Kahani Rang Lai Hai -- from the film Chaudhvin Ka Chand

Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhag Si -- from the film Chalti Ka Nam Gaadi

Daniel Kazez
Please delete the three letters

dka...@YYYwittenberg.edu

Professor of Music, Wittenberg University

Afzal A. Khan

Apr 11, 2005, 9:45:03 AM4/11/05

Dear Dan,

I am sure some of us can readily provide the lyrics
(and rough English renditions) of all four songs
without much difficulty. But surely, there is a
purpose behind your request. And if you share that with
us, perhaps we can also provide a detailed background
of these songs --- language-wise, film'situation-wise
and (generally) culture-wise. In the absence of these
details, the purpose you have in mind may not be fully
served.

Sincerely,

Afzal

V S Rawat

Apr 13, 2005, 11:15:54 AM4/13/05

Hi Professor,

Nice to see another professor in the list. Where is
Wittenberg. Sounds German.

I am doing the translation of the second one in your list,
"Piya Aiso Jiya Mein -- from the film Sahim Bibi Aur Ghulam".

Keep on reminding me. I will try to attend the other ones
sometimes in future, though I am not feeling very motivated
to the two mediocre songs by Ravi (1, 3). Maybe, some other
member does that. We indeed have some fans of Kishor Kumar &
SDB here (4th song).

Read on.
--
Rawat

1450.isb
%
\startsong
\stitle{piyaa aiso jiyaa me.n samaay gayo re}%
\film{Sahib Biwi Aur Ghulam}%
\year{1962}%
\starring{Guru Dutt, Rehman, Meena Kumari, Waheeda}%
\singer{Geeta}%
\music{Hemant}%
\lyrics{Shakeel}%
%
% Contributor:
% Transliterator: Avinash Chopde (avi...@acm.org)
% Credits: rec.music.indian.misc (USENET newsgroup)
% Vandana Venkatesan (van...@ece.scarolina.edu)
% C.S. Sudarshana Bhat (cein...@utacnvx.uta.edu)
% Preetham Gopalaswamy (pree...@src.umd.edu)
% Editor: Anurag Shankar (anu...@astro.indiana.edu)
%
\printtitle
#indian
%
% Geeta (known as Geeta Roy before she married Guru Dutt)
% was one of the singers who could sing for any mood: be it
% naughty (Jahan kahan mera jigar gaya ji, Mera naam
chinchinchu),
% sad (Na jao saiyan), vampish (Jaata kahan hai deewane) or
plain
% romantic and sound as fresh as ever unlike today's singers who
% start sounding monotonous after the third song!
% She is definitely my favorite among the female singers!
%
% This song is from Sahib, Biwi aur Gulaam, a landmark movie
% in Guru Dutt's direction, in which Guru Dutt himself, Meena
% Kumari, Waheeda and Rehman have given memorable performances.
%
%
(piyaa aiso jiyaa me.n samaay gayo re

- The beloved has got immersed in the soul in such a way

ki mai.n tan man kii sudh budh gavaa.N baiThii ) \- 2

- that I have forgotten the awareness of (my) body and mind

har aahaT pe samajhii vo aay gayo re

- on hearing any sound that came to me, I though he has arrived

jhaT ghuu.NghaT me.n mukha.Daa chhupaa baiThii

- and I instantly hide (my) face in the facecover

piyaa aiso jiyaa me.n samaay gayo re \threedots

(more a.nganaa me.n jab puravayyaa chalii

- when the wind coming from east passed through the
quadrangle in my house

more dvaare kii khul gaI kivaa.Diyaa.n ) \- 2

- the door of the enterance to my house got opened.

o daiyaa! dvaare kii khul gaI kivaa.Diyaa.n

- oh, god! (repeat)

maine jaanaa ki aa gaye saa.nvariyaa more \- 2

- I took it to mean that my husband has come

jhaT phuulan kii sejiyaa pe jaa baiThii

- and I instantly went to sit on the bed of flowers

piyaa aiso jiyaa me.n samaay gayo re \threedots

(maine si.nduur se maa.Ng apanii bharii

- I have filled the part between my hairs with si.nduur

ruup saiyaa.N ke kaaraN sajaayaa ) \- 2

- and had made up myself to highlight my beauty, just for my
husband

o maine saiyaa.N ke kaaraN sajaayaa
is dar se kisii kii nazar na lage \- 2

- fearing that I may become target of some evil eye

jhaT nainan me.n kajaraa lagaa baiThii

- I instantly put the blackpaste in (my) eyes

piyaa aiso jiyaa me.n samaay gayo re \threedots
%
#endindian
\endsong
%
-------------

Fantine Reid

Dec 30, 2021, 11:45:15 PM12/30/21
Hi, here are the lyrics. I've done it stanza-by-stanza instead of line-by-line, hope that's alright.

Piya Aiso Jiya Mein

Piya aiso jiya mein samaaye gayo re

Ki main tan-mann ki sudh-budh gava baithi

Har aahat pe samjhi woh aaye gayo re

Jhat ghoonghat mein mukhda chhupa baithi

Piya aiso jiya mein samaaye gayo re...

My beloved has entered my heart in such a way

That I have lost consciousness of my body and mind

Every sound I hear, I mistake for his coming

And quickly hide my face in my veil

My beloved has entered my heart in such a way...

More angna mein jab purbaiya chali, more dwaare ki khul gayin kiwaadiyaan

Maine jaana ki aa gaye saanwariya more, jhat phoolan ki sajiya pe ja baithi

Piya aiso jiya mein samaaye gayo re...

When the wind blew in my garden, it opened the doors of my house

I thought that my beloved had come and quickly sat on my flower-covered bed

My beloved has entered my heart in such a way...

Maine sindoori se maang apni bhari, roop saiyaan ke kaaran sajaaya

Iss dar se ke pee ki nazar na lage, jhat nainan mein kajra laga baithi

Piya aiso jiya mein samaaye gayo re...

I filled my parting with vermillion and decked myself up for my beloved

Out of fear that he may cast his gaze upon me, I quickly lined my eyes with kohl

My beloved has entered my heart in such a way...

Notes: In Hindu custom, married women fill the parting of their hair with red vermillion powder. Here, the vermillion holds a special importance, because Chhoti Bahu (the youngest bride), the character singing this, believes that a special type of vermillion will bring back her husband to her- he usually spends his nights with prostitutes and alcohol.

Nazar means gaze, but in India, it also refers to an evil eye that brings about bad luck. To keep it away, women apply a dark spot or a lining of kohl. Chhoti Bahu has done the latter here, but I haven't called it an evil eye, although that is a possible meaning.

Ek Ladki Bheegi Bhaagi Si

Ek ladki, bheegi bhaagi si
Soti raaton mein jaagi si
Mili ek ajnabi se, koi aage, na peechhe
Tum hi kaho, yeh koi baat hai?

A girl, drenched to the core
Awake on sleepy nights
She met a stranger, with no one else around
Tell me, is this the way to go?

Dil hi dil mein jali jaati hai
Bigdi bigdi, chali aati hai
Jhunjhlaati hui, balkhaati hui, saawan ki sooni raat mein

She burns in her heart of hearts
She comes in a bad mood
Annoyed and huffy, on this quiet monsoon night

Dagmag dagmag, lehki lehki
Bhooli bhatki, behki behki
Machli machli, ghar se nikli, pagli si, kaali raat mein

She stumbles, she sways
She wanders around, lost
Restless, she left her home, like a madwoman in this pitch black night

Tan bheega hai, sar geela hai
Uska koi pench bhi dheela hai
Tanti, jhukti, chalti, rukti, nikli andheri raat mein

Her body is drenched, her head, wet
One of her screws is loose, too
She flounces, then recoils; she walks, then stops as she goes out on a dark night

Note: 'Pagli' can also be used to describe a woman who did something idiotic, but it is derived from the word 'paagal', which means mad, so I've used madwoman as the meaning here.

Dil Ki Kahaani Rang Laayi Hai

Kabhi raaz-e-mohabbat chhup nahi sakta, chhupaane se

Yeh woh toofan hai jo aur ubhrega dabaane se

Mere sarkaar, jis uljhan ko lekar aaye ho dil mein

Woh uljhan jaan lee hamne, tumhaare sar jhukaane se

The secret of love can never be concealed, even if you try to do so

It is the strong that becomes stronger the more you try to suppress it

My master, the confusion in your heart which you have brought here

I know what it is by the way your head is bowed

Dil ki kahaani rang laayi hai

Allah duhaai hai, Allah duhaai hai

Saans hai halki halki, aankhen hain chhalki chhalki

Aaj toh jaan pe ban aayi hai

The story of the heart has shown its true colours

Oh God, oh God

Your breath is softer, your eyes brim with tears

It is a matter of life for you today

Kisi ko bhi mohabbat ke na phande mein khuda daale

Yeh jab chaahe bana daale, yeh jab chaahe mita daale

Koi iska bharosa nahi, na kuchh iska thikaana hai

Kisi ko zindagi de de, kisi ka ghar jala daale

Kyonki wallah, yeh bada harjaai hai

May God not tie the noose of love around anyone

For it can create when it wants, and erase when it wants

It cannot be trusted, it cannot be counted on

It gives life to someone, it burns someone's adobe

Because, oh God, love is fickle

Hamesha zindagi se khelte hain ishq ke maare

Yeh apni apni kismat hai, koi jeete, koi haare

Are tauba, yeh dastoor-e-mohabbat bhi qayaamat hai

Rahe khaamosh, toh dil ko jalaaye gham ke angaare

Aur aahen bhare toh rusvaai hai

Lovers always risk their lives

It is in their fate to either win or lose

Oh, this custom of love is a disaster

If one is quiet, the embers of sorrow burn their heart

And if they sigh, it is considered a disgrace

Note: The phrase 'Allah duhaai hai' literally translates to 'God, I complain to you'.

Hope this was helpful, let me know if there's anything else you need!

Fantine Reid

Dec 30, 2021, 11:59:39 PM12/30/21
Sorry, I almost forgot. Here are the lyrics of the fourth song.

Bedardi Mere Saiyaan

Bedardi mere saiyaan, kabhi shabnam, kabhi shole
Andar se bade zaalim, baahar se bade bhole

My heartless lover is sometimes moonlight, sometimes a flame
He is cruel on the inside, but appears innocent on the outside

Matlab ke hain rasiya
Haai, koi inhe kya samjhe?
Yeh khud bhi nahi apne
Bas inko khuda samjhe
Dam bhar mein yeh tola hain, dam bhar mein yeh maasha hain
Banaate hain tamaasha, aur khud hi yeh tamaasha hain
Reh-reh ke badalte hain din-raat naye chole

He falls in love only when it benefits him
Oh, what could anyone possibly think of him?
He isn't even loyal to himself
Only God understands him
He blows hot and cold
He creates a ruckus, and is a ruckus himself
He switches disguises day and night

Har ek ada mere baalam ki niraali hai
Baatein mohabbat ki magar pyaar se khaali hain
Aadat se hain bade chanchal, soorat hai badi saada
Aaj isko diya, kal usse kiya wada
Harjaai hain, inse na koi bole

My lover's every gesture is unique
But his words of love are devoid of love
His ways are mischievous, his looks are plain
He promises one today, and another tomorrow
He is fickle, nobody must speak to him

Note: 'Tola' and 'masha' are terms generally used for measurement. However, they may also be used as a metaphor, which is the case here.

Fantine Reid

Jan 3, 2022, 1:24:28 AM1/3/22
> He is a fairweather lover

Fantine Reid