Song by extras in Guru Dutt films

cricfan

Aug 5, 2003, 10:32:40 AM8/5/03
Hi,

Recently, my wife made an observation that Guru Dutt films [In which he acts
or directs] have at least one good song sung by an extra - a.k.a. junior
artiste. Has anyone made a list of those songs on RMIM before? Also, does
any other actor-director share this trait?

Arun

UVR

Aug 5, 2003, 2:39:37 PM8/5/03
"cricfan" <cri...@nothing.org> wrote in message news:<bgof6b$psjvi$1...@ID-146332.news.uni-berlin.de>...

What a strange coincidence! *My* wife made the SAME EXACT observation
this past Sunday as we were watching the songs 'kabhii aar kabhii paar'
and 'buujh meraa kyaa naa.Nv re' on a newly purchased 5-DVD set of
songs-through-the-ages released by Yash Raj films. We even agreed that
it would be good material for an RMIM song list-type discussion! :)

-UVR.

PS: BTW, the 5-DVD set I talked about contains a good number of
popular songs from the 40s through today (it contains songs from
Saathiya) -- I must say I liked the song selection.

cricfan

Aug 6, 2003, 11:19:09 AM8/6/03

"UVR" <u...@usa.net> wrote in message

> What a strange coincidence! *My* wife made the SAME EXACT observation
> this past Sunday as we were watching the songs 'kabhii aar kabhii paar'
> and 'buujh meraa kyaa naa.Nv re' on a newly purchased 5-DVD set of
> songs-through-the-ages released by Yash Raj films. We even agreed that
> it would be good material for an RMIM song list-type discussion! :)

:-) Maybe they are friends and we don't know about it :-)

Mr & Mrs 55 had "Aaj to ji hone laga kiski surat ka kaamna" [iirc]. I always
get confused between
the 'extra's" song in Mr & Mrs55 and the famous Madhubala song from
"Phagun".

Didn't the same film have a qawwali sung by someone on the street?

Cheers
Arun

Vijay Kumar K

Aug 7, 2003, 12:38:42 PM8/7/03
"cricfan" <cri...@nothing.org> wrote in message news:<bgr69h$r2s5t$1...@ID-146332.news.uni-berlin.de>...

"ab" to jii hone lagaa kisii kii suurat kaa saamana
gorii-gorii goriyo.n ko pa.De na kahii.n dil thaamana

The qawwali is Rafi's "merii duniyaa luT rahii thii aur mai.n khaamosh thaa"
an antakshari favourite as it ends with a "th". IIRC, there was a thread on
RMIM which pointed out that the qawwali singer was someone significant, and
not just some aira-gaira extra.

Vijay

Sudhir

Aug 7, 2003, 7:12:19 PM8/7/03
Mer Duniya Lut Rahi Thi, was post probably picturized on

Agha Harun

his name was in the titles. I could identify all other listed
actors, so by default I have assumed that he is the actor, associated
with this song. Guru Dutt treated the Junior actors very well. A case
in point is, actress TunTun, who had switched from singing to
acting and had changed her name from Uma Devi. However, Guru Dutt
insisted that her real name, Uma Devi should appear in titles.

Sudhir

--------------------

vijay...@my-deja.com (Vijay Kumar K) wro

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 8, 2003, 1:59:33 AM8/8/03

Sudhir wrote:

While I remember the qawwali and had also seen the
movie, I do not recall the picturization of the
song. However, the info provided by you is not quite
correct. There was no single character actor or
extra by the name of "Agha Haroon", as far as I know.
However, these were the names of two different
artistes. I think everyone knows the late Agha,
a very respected figure in the film industry who
had started out as a leading man. The other guy was
one Haroon, a small time actor who did brief comic
roles. One of his earliest films that I can recall
was "Kismat", the 1943 blockbuster, stg. Ashok
Kumar and Mumtaz Shanti. He was a thin, almost
emaciated guy, with sunken cheeks and usually
wore spectacles. Another "more recent" (or less
ancient !) film of his that I can tell you about
was "Kohinoor", a 1960 release. He plays the
role of Tun Tun's husband. Do you remember a
scene where Dilip Kumar cuts off Tun Tun's hair ?
If you watch the film again, I am sure you will
recognize Haroon.

Afzal

Sudhir

Aug 8, 2003, 11:54:43 AM8/8/03
Afzal Saheb:

2 plus 2 is 4, But 4 is not 2 + 2 only.

Agha Harun is not Agha + Harun, as two characters.

I am quite familiar with Mr. Agha, (who first complained: Oi
Amma Mein Kahe Ko Bazaar Gayi Thi and then requested: Phoolgendwa
Na Maro. I know his son also: Jalal Agha (aka: Sheikho)

I adon't know about Mr. Harun.

I suggest that you watch the titles of Mr & Mrs 55 and see, if
the name is spelled with a comma or as two lines.

Then you read my posting, which clearly states that I don't
know an actor by the name of Agha Harun, but have assigned
the screen credits by default.

Incidetally, the song picturization of this song: Meri Duniya
Lut Rahi Thi, is very good. Once you watch it, you will never
forget the song or the on-screen actor.

Mr. Agha Haroon, if he existed, might have been a professional
qawwali singer.

I haven't seen the films, but would like to know, who lip-synched
the following two qawwalis:

AZAD / Marna Bhi Mohabbat Mein Kisi Kaam Na Aaya / Ragunath Yadav
+ Party

Al-Hilal / Hamen To Loot Liya .... Kale Kale Gaalon Ne,
Gore Gore Ballon Ne / Ismail Azad & Party

Sudhir

------------------

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 8, 2003, 4:53:40 PM8/8/03

Sudhir wrote:

As I said before, I do not quite remember the
picturization of the song. But if I happen
to see the movie again, I think I will be able
to recognize the actor/s and also verify the
names mentioned in the film's titles.

As regards the qawwali from "Azaad", (1955),
one of the two on-screen singers is Balam. He
is the one with the moustache. He was also there
in the "Barsaat Ki Raat" qawwali "Na to kaarwaaN
ki talaash hai...". The other guy in the "Azaad"
qawwali is certainly NOT Haroon.

I will keep this question in mind as and when I
see the Guru Dutt movie again.

Afzal

Ashok

Aug 9, 2003, 1:44:43 AM8/9/03
In article <9c085b63.03080...@posting.google.com>, u...@usa.net says...

>"cricfan" <cri...@nothing.org> wrote in message news:<bgof6b$psjvi$1...@ID-146332.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Recently, my wife made an observation that Guru Dutt films [In which he acts
>> or directs] have at least one good song sung by an extra - a.k.a. junior
>> artiste. Has anyone made a list of those songs on RMIM before? Also, does
>> any other actor-director share this trait?
>>
>> Arun
>
>What a strange coincidence! *My* wife made the SAME EXACT observation

>-UVR.

Both of you "heN-pecked" husbands: Are you going to be satisfied with
just repeating what your respective spice told you, or are you going to present
some evidence--your own or given by your respective spice?

Ashok

UVR

Aug 9, 2003, 11:06:39 AM8/9/03
Ashok wrote:

> u...@usa.net says...
>
>>"cricfan" <cri...@nothing.org> wrote...

>>>Recently, my wife made an observation that Guru Dutt films [In which he acts
>>>or directs] have at least one good song sung by an extra - a.k.a. junior
>>>artiste. Has anyone made a list of those songs on RMIM before? Also, does
>>>any other actor-director share this trait?
>>>

>>What a strange coincidence! *My* wife made the SAME EXACT observation
>

> Both of you "heN-pecked" husbands: Are you going to be satisfied with
> just repeating what your respective spice told you, or are you going to present
> some evidence--your own or given by your respective spice?

Hey, who you callin' henpecked? ;)

The portion of the post you've quoted doesn't show it, but I did
actually offer two songs to start the discussion off. It's true
that I watched them in the enjoyable company of the one I share
my life with, but what difference does that make?

To tell the truth, I was hoping that this discussion would take
a different direction than the one it has. But that's what
happens in discussions. So, again, here are the songs mentioned
so far in the thread, and a few more. Hopefully, this is a good
enough 'seed' to put the discussion on a track where we'll end
up with a meaningful list of songs 'sung' by extras on screen in
Guru Dutt's films.

1. boojh meraa kyaa naam re (CID)
2. leke pehla pehla pyaar (CID)
3. kabhi aar kabhi paar (Aar Paar)
4. ab to ji hone laga kisi ki soorat kaa saamna (Mr & Mrs 55)
5. saaqiyaa aaj mujhe neend nahin aayegi (Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam)
6. san san san wo chali hawa (Kaaghaz ke Phool) [+]
7. aaj sajan mohe ang lagaa lo (Pyaasa)

Legend:
[+] Not entirely sung by extras

Some of the songs listed are picturized on people who may not
have been extras in their entire film career (e.g., Kumkum),
but they certainly were cast in an 'extra' capacity in the film
in question (AFAIK). This is why "are na na na na tauba tauba"
doesn't figure in the list. Also excluded are songs where, even
though extras figure prominently on screen, major parts of the
song are also sung by the hero/ine (muhabbat kar lo, ji bhar lo
(Aar Paar), chham chham chham chham ghuu.Nghar baaje (Baaz)).

-UVR.

Satish Kalra

Aug 9, 2003, 12:02:50 PM8/9/03
"UVR" <u...@usa.net> wrote in message

...snipped...

Another song in the [ + ] category is the Pyaasaa chorus song "ho.n laakh
musiibat raste me.n par saath na apnaa chhuuTay....". But the song was not
released on any records.

Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 9, 2003, 4:10:22 PM8/9/03

UVR wrote:To tell the truth, I was hoping that this discussion would take

> a different direction than the one it has. But that's what
> happens in discussions. So, again, here are the songs mentioned
> so far in the thread, and a few more. Hopefully, this is a good
> enough 'seed' to put the discussion on a track where we'll end
> up with a meaningful list of songs 'sung' by extras on screen in
> Guru Dutt's films.
>
> 1. boojh meraa kyaa naam re (CID)
> 2. leke pehla pehla pyaar (CID)
> 3. kabhi aar kabhi paar (Aar Paar)
> 4. ab to ji hone laga kisi ki soorat kaa saamna (Mr & Mrs 55)
> 5. saaqiyaa aaj mujhe neend nahin aayegi (Sahib Bibi aur Ghulam)
> 6. san san san wo chali hawa (Kaaghaz ke Phool) [+]
> 7. aaj sajan mohe ang lagaa lo (Pyaasa)
>
> Legend:
> [+] Not entirely sung by extras
>
> Some of the songs listed are picturized on people who may not
> have been extras in their entire film career (e.g., Kumkum),
> but they certainly were cast in an 'extra' capacity in the film
> in question (AFAIK). This is why "are na na na na tauba tauba"
> doesn't figure in the list. Also excluded are songs where, even
> though extras figure prominently on screen, major parts of the
> song are also sung by the hero/ine (muhabbat kar lo, ji bhar lo
> (Aar Paar), chham chham chham chham ghuu.Nghar baaje (Baaz)).
>
> -UVR.

I think we are using the term "extra/s" in a
very very loose sense here. "Extras" are usually
people who would normally go unrecognized by most
moviegoers, e.g. people in crowd scenes etc.
The "C.I.D." song (Boojh mera kya naaNv re) is
picturised on Minoo Mumtaz. She was a film dancer
of known repute and proper pedigree. She could
hardly be called "an extra". She also figures in the
"Sahib, Bibi, Ghulam" number "Saaqiya aaj mujhe...".
"O leke pehla pehla pyaar" was picturised on
Sheila Vaz and Habib. Sheila Vaz (in those days)
had sufficient recognition clout, and the main
artists' credit titles often ended with ---
"AND Sheila Vaz". She couldn't be called an
extra. KumKum too was a well-known and quite
versatile dancer. In fact, in the ten-year period
(early fifties to early sixties) this quartet
(Cuckoo, Helen, Minoo Mumtaz and KumKum) were the
foremost dancers in the film industry. To refer
to them as "Extras" is quite unfair.

Afzal

Ket...@att.net

Aug 9, 2003, 5:16:44 PM8/9/03
In article <3F35552C...@yahoo.com>, Afzal A. Khan says...

> I think we are using the term "extra/s" in a
> very very loose sense here. "Extras" are usually
> people who would normally go unrecognized by most
> moviegoers, e.g. people in crowd scenes etc.
> The "C.I.D." song (Boojh mera kya naaNv re) is
> picturised on Minoo Mumtaz. She was a film dancer
> of known repute and proper pedigree. She could
> hardly be called "an extra". She also figures in the

"C.I.D" was censored/released on 30/7/1956 and Minoo Mumtaz's name does not even
appear in the extensive list of actors in the HFGK. But maybe it's not
surprising. She had just recently made her debut in "Society"--censor/release
date of 13/12/1955, just about 7 months earlier. So it is possible that when her
song in C.I.D was shot, she was still an unknown, having nothing more than a
two-bit role. Was she a film dancer of known repute by the time C.I.D was
released? As for proper pedigree, I hope you are not suggesting that those with
one, cannot be extras. Amitabh was nothing more than an extra in her own
brother's movie "Garam Masala".

Ketan

Sudhir

Aug 9, 2003, 5:48:11 PM8/9/03
Since the baby (the missing link of Wife - Husband Teams)
is already rolling, can you please add the songs from
other films, which were directed by: Guru Dutt

It seems Jaal had few such numbers.

Sudhir

Sudhir

Aug 9, 2003, 5:56:12 PM8/9/03
Thank you Afzal Saheb for clearing the confusion.

You seems to have uncanny ability of creating two things from
a single item. I am certainly going to contact you, next time
I face the dilemma of making Double Omelette from a single
'Murgi Ka Anda'

Sudhir

------------------

UVR

Aug 9, 2003, 7:56:11 PM8/9/03
Afzal A. Khan wrote:

>>Some of the songs listed are picturized on people who may not
>>have been extras in their entire film career (e.g., Kumkum),
>>but they certainly were cast in an 'extra' capacity in the film
>>in question (AFAIK).
>
> I think we are using the term "extra/s" in a
> very very loose sense here.

Absolutely. That's precisely why I tried to 'define' the
term above using the explicit example of Kumkum (who has
even been the heroine in some films). The idea was to list
songs sung in Guru Dutt films by such actors and actresses
whose role in the movie made not even an iota of a difference
to the main plot. "boojh mera kyaa naa.Nv re" is such a song,
as is "kabhi aar kabhi paar", as well as "saaqiyaa aaj mujhe
nii.nd nahii.n aayegii". The songs might as well have been
sung by any extra who looked good enough and dance and emoted
appropriately.

This at least was the intent when my wife and I were talking
about these songs. I don't know for sure, but I feel that
Arun 'cricfan' Simha and his wife were talking about the same
kind of songs.

-UVR.

cricfan

Aug 10, 2003, 10:52:27 AM8/10/03

"UVR" <u...@usa.net> wrote in message
<snipped>

> This at least was the intent when my wife and I were talking
> about these songs. I don't know for sure, but I feel that
> Arun 'cricfan' Simha and his wife were talking about the same
> kind of songs.
>
> -UVR.

The term "extra" was used by my wife so that one could differentiate from
the currently popular term, "item". The "item" number is a song picturised
on a **famous** actress (never an actor) who sings the song. She never has
any other part in the film, nor does the song that she appears in fit into
the narrative. An example is the song from Chote Miyan, Bade Miyan, which
goes "Mera pyaar ka ras chakna, o makhna" (or something similar). This is
picturised on Madhuri Dixit. There is absolutely no relation of this song to
the narrative - whatever narrative exists in such films :-). Madhuri dances,
lip-syncs and is gone.

When we were referring to Guru Dutt films, we were referring to not so well
known performers - at least for the majority of our generation, which was
born in the very late 60's. These are the sort of actresses and *actors* who
would have to be identified by a knowledgeable veteran like Afzal Sahib or
we would have to read the credits or some film database to guess who the
lady/gent was. Alternatively, we would have to go through some torturously
"punny" articles written by Raju Bharatan :-)

Just consider that there have been many posts dedicated to identifying the
charming lady in "jaane kahaan mera jigar gaya ji", albeit she played a role
in the film.

Cheers
Arun Simha

cricfan

Aug 10, 2003, 11:04:40 AM8/10/03

"Sudhir" <maild...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Thank you Afzal Saheb for clearing the confusion.
>
> You seems to have uncanny ability of creating two things from
> a single item. I am certainly going to contact you, next time
> I face the dilemma of making Double Omelette from a single
> 'Murgi Ka Anda'
>

> Sudhir

Considering that Sudhir sahib has made a flurry of posts imploring his
fellow posters to provide dinner, omlette, toffee and other foods, I can
speculate that his better half has forced him to be on a diet. Therefore, he
has been recalling the following songs (composed by his favorite, SJ):

"Jiya Beqarar Hai"
"Yaad Kiya Dil Ne"
"Ehsaan Tera Hoga Mujh Par"
"Yaad Na Jaye"
"Dost Dost Na Raha"
"Tumhen Yaad Karte Karte"
"Jane Kahan Gaye Woh Din"

and his wife has been responding with:

"Aji Rooth kar Kahan Jaiyega" :-)

All in jest, Sudhir Sahib.

Cheers
Arun

Afzal A. Khan

Aug 10, 2003, 12:45:17 PM8/10/03

cricfan wrote:

As regards the original subject, my response
basically touched upon two points. I do not
feel very happy about the term "extra". The
word implies someone who is sort of "super -
numerary" (in Management terms) or someone
who is a sort of by-stander, one who can be
easily removed/eliminated. The term has a very
derogatory connotation. Even the film industry
people have come round to classifying them as
"junior artistes". In the fifties and also
thereafter, the credit titles included a
reference to "Extra Supplier" followed by the
name of the Agency.

My second point was that the actors/actresses
singing these songs need not be called "extras".
They were by no means anonymous figures.
KukKum, for example, had already appeared in
films before "Mr. & Mrs. '55". She danced to
the Ghulam Mohammed number "Chali pi ke nagar,
ab kaahe ka Dar" in "Mirza Ghalib" (a 1954
release). Of course, I do not remember the
credit titles of "Mr. & Mrs. '55", but I
seriously doubt that her name did NOT figure
in these titles. Similarly, I believe that
the name of Minoo Mumtaz must have figured in
the credit titles of "C.I.D.".

And, now, we have another term "item number".
This is of recent vintage. But I don't think
the definition provided above is complete or
wholly correct. The "sharaara sharaara" number
is no doubt an "item number" but the younger
Shetty sibling does not quite disappear from the
film, IIRC. Also, such songs are usually daring
and semi-erotic. As regards the "Chhote MiyaaN.."
song, Amitabh and Govinda cannot be considered as
"item number" artistes --- they were an important
part of the song, besides playing the two title
roles. The popular term for such instances is
"Guest Artistes" (e.g. Madhuri in "C.M.B.M..").

Lastly, I do concede that the younger generation
may not be familiar with some of the actors /
actresses figuring in old films, whether their
roles are just walk-ons or significantly large.
I daresay many of the younger folks would not
know the name of the leading lady of the '43
film "Kismat" --- unless they paid very close
attention to the titles. And nobody can blame
them at all. But, at the same time, we should'nt
label these artistes as "extras" simply because
we don't recognize them. I am reminded of the
last line from a well-known Milton sonnet :

"They also serve who only stand and wait"

Afzal

cricfan

Aug 10, 2003, 1:43:42 PM8/10/03

"Afzal A. Khan" <il_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> As regards the original subject, my response
> basically touched upon two points. I do not
> feel very happy about the term "extra". The
> word implies someone who is sort of "super -
> numerary" (in Management terms) or someone
> who is a sort of by-stander, one who can be
> easily removed/eliminated. The term has a very
> derogatory connotation. Even the film industry
> people have come round to classifying them as
> "junior artistes". In the fifties and also
> thereafter, the credit titles included a
> reference to "Extra Supplier" followed by the
> name of the Agency.

Which is why I said "Extras a.k.a Junior artistes" in my original post. Even
that would be incorrect, since junior artistes by definition appear in walla
walla scenes and are not mentioned in credits. While the persons I am
referring to, are mentioned in the credits.

> My second point was that the actors/actresses
> singing these songs need not be called "extras".
> They were by no means anonymous figures.
> KukKum, for example, had already appeared in
> films before "Mr. & Mrs. '55". She danced to
> the Ghulam Mohammed number "Chali pi ke nagar,
> ab kaahe ka Dar" in "Mirza Ghalib" (a 1954
> release). Of course, I do not remember the
> credit titles of "Mr. & Mrs. '55", but I
> seriously doubt that her name did NOT figure
> in these titles. Similarly, I believe that
> the name of Minoo Mumtaz must have figured in
> the credit titles of "C.I.D.".

That's my point. My argument was that there were other songs, that have been
mentioned that do not figure famous stars. While Kumkum was relatively well
known, I daresay that you will not find many people [outside of RMIM] who
are aware of Minoo Mumtaz. Remember, I am referring to "fame" here. Not a
person who is identifiable through credits. Sudhir and you have already been
having discussions regarding the identity of the qawwali singer.

Maybe, I should not have used the term that I used in the subject line. I
should've stated, "actors and actresses who were relatively obscure but
identifiable through credits ".

> And, now, we have another term "item number".
> This is of recent vintage. But I don't think
> the definition provided above is complete or
> wholly correct. The "sharaara sharaara" number
> is no doubt an "item number" but the younger
> Shetty sibling does not quite disappear from the
> film, IIRC. Also, such songs are usually daring
> and semi-erotic. As regards the "Chhote MiyaaN.."
> song, Amitabh and Govinda cannot be considered as
> "item number" artistes --- they were an important
> part of the song, besides playing the two title
> roles. The popular term for such instances is
> "Guest Artistes" (e.g. Madhuri in "C.M.B.M..").

I was referrring to Madhuri as the person doing the "item number". She does
not appear elsewhere in the film. The term "item" number is not used to
connotate a daring display, at least as far as the usage [in Mumbai, where
the term originated, iirc] is concerned. The term "item" was made famous by
Johnny Lever, India's first famous stand up comedian, to denote what the
western world calls "routine" [as in stand up routine]. The same term has
been carried over to the Hindi film industry to denote "a special appearance
by a famous actress for a song picturised on her". This is more of a
marketing vehicle than anything else. While the official term may be "guest
artistes", the Hindi film going 20 year old calls it "item number" :-)

Notice how "vulgarity" and "item" are used separately in the articles below.

For example:

--
The Hindu, Jan 27, 2003. Review of Dum by Rana Siddiqi
Those who have `dum' to watch three hours of this action-packed, violent

"That changes the relevance of the song. Chori pe chori is more of a
story-oriented song --- far more dramatic than I had originally planned ---
than a item number." The director has no intentions of publicising the song
before the film's release. "It won't be promoted as an item song like Ishq
kameena (in Shakti), because it isn't.
----

Interview with Ram Gopal Varma.
http://www.indiafm.com/interviews/02/ramgopal/index.shtml
You recently added a song to the film, which was picturised on Urmila. How
relevant is it to the film?
You can't call it a song. It is a symbolic way of portraying the feel of the
film. It's also not a run-of-the-mill kind of item-song. This song was
definitely an after-thought. In fact, everything in COMPANY is an
after-thought.

---

Anyway, let's get back to the original topic :-) This can go on ad nauseum.

Cheers
Arun

Ashok

Aug 10, 2003, 6:25:14 PM8/10/03
In article <vja3g3o...@corp.supernews.com>, u...@usa.net says...

>Hey, who you callin' henpecked? ;)
>
>-UVR.

Who said "henpecked"? You have forgotten your ITRANS!

Ashok

Surjit Singh

Aug 19, 2003, 1:27:17 AM8/19/03
Sudhir wrote:

> Mr. Agha Haroon, if he existed, might have been a professional
> qawwali singer.
>

> I haven't seen the films, but would like to know, who lip-synched
> the following two qawwalis:
>

> AZAD / Marna Bhi Mohabbat Mein Kisi Kaam Na Aaya / Ragunath Yadav
> + Party

Picturized on Balam (the one who loses to Bharat Bhushan in Barsat Ki
Rat) and Master Nisar (the one who sings tumhare hain tumase dayaa with
ratan in Boot Polish).

> Al-Hilal / Hamen To Loot Liya .... Kale Kale Gaalon Ne,
> Gore Gore Ballon Ne / Ismail Azad & Party

M. A. Shekh.

--
Surjit Singh, a diehard movie fan(atic), period.
http://hindi-movies-songs.com/index.html

Surjit Singh

Aug 19, 2003, 1:33:57 AM8/19/03

Afzal A. Khan wrote:

> While I remember the qawwali and had also seen the
> movie, I do not recall the picturization of the
> song. However, the info provided by you is not quite
> correct. There was no single character actor or
> extra by the name of "Agha Haroon", as far as I know.

HFGK vol 3 ed 2 correctly separates them as they are 2 people. Here are
all the males from Mr. & Mrs. 55:

gurudutt, johny walker, agha, harun,

and guest artistes (males) al nasir, bir sakhuja, moni chatterji.

I know all of them by face except harun. [Al nasir is the athletic type
that madhu is fidaa on before he goes abroad, bir sakhuja is the editor
who employs guru, moni is the bald bengali with big eyes almost as
ubiquitoyus as S. N. banerjee and Asit Sen]

The qawali gayak is most likely harun by elimination.

Sudhir

Aug 19, 2003, 11:19:41 PM8/19/03
Thanks Prof Saheb

The HFGK vol 3rd, 1st Editiona also has the artist's name with a
comma, i.e.: Agha, Harun

However, Film Titles list it as one person: Agha Harun.
Furthermore,
Mr. Agha, the comedian is not in the film. So, one has to assume
by default that Agha Harun is one person

Incidentally, do you know who played the 'Eager Beaver' charcater,
the personal assistant of Lalita Pawar. She was ready with her
notebook and
pencil, wheresoever Aunty ji went.

Sudhir

---------------------------

Satish Kalra

Aug 20, 2003, 9:48:11 AM8/20/03
"Surjit Singh" <surjit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

...snipped...

> and guest artistes (males) al nasir, bir sakhuja, moni chatterji.
>
> I know all of them by face except harun. [Al nasir is the athletic type
> that madhu is fidaa on before he goes abroad, bir sakhuja is the editor
> who employs guru, moni is the bald bengali with big eyes almost as
> ubiquitoyus as S. N. banerjee and Asit Sen]

For those who may not know who Bir Sakhuja and Moni Chatterji were: Bir
Sakhuja is the one who played the chief villain in C.I.D., and also played
Sunil Dutt's father in the comedy Ek Phool Chaar Kaante. He had a natural
limp due to an injury sustained while in the army in WW-II (?).

Moni Chatterji played "Paro's" husband in Bimal Roy's Devdas, and acted in
almost all Bimal-da's films. He was also an assistant director to Bimal-da
in many mvoies.

Happy Listenings.

Satish Kalra

Surjit Singh

Aug 20, 2003, 10:39:30 AM8/20/03
Sudhir wrote:

> Incidentally, do you know who played the 'Eager Beaver' charcater,
> the personal assistant of Lalita Pawar. She was ready with her
> notebook and
> pencil, wheresoever Aunty ji went.

OK. Here is the list of females: lalita pawar, yaasmina, kumakuma, uma
devii, cuckoo, raadhikaa, anavarii, guest artist: rooplaxmi.

I know lalita, kumakuma, uma devii, cuckoo, anavarii.

And, we RMIMers had concluded who yaasmina was (in jaane kahaa.N meraa
jigara gayaa jii). So this leaves us with raadhikaa and the guest
artist. Since the notebook lady was in many many scenes, I vote for her
being raadhikaa. I do not remember her from any other movie.

> Sudhir

Surjit Singh

Aug 20, 2003, 11:10:18 AM8/20/03
Afzal A. Khan wrote:
> of known repute and proper pedigree. She could
> hardly be called "an extra". She also figures in the
> "Sahib, Bibi, Ghulam" number "Saaqiya aaj mujhe...".
> "O leke pehla pehla pyaar" was picturised on
> Sheila Vaz and Habib. Sheila Vaz (in those days)

The male in the leke pahalaa 2 pyaara was shyaam kapuura. He can be seen
clearly in other movies, e.g. pyaasaa.

Habib is not mentioed in the bible. I do not recall habib he looked like.