Kishore and Madan Mohan

anand_tiwari

Oct 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/24/97

I am looking for songs composed by Madan Mohan and sung by
Kishore Kumar. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).

I know MM held Kishore in very low esteem but the above song is
wonderfully sung by Kishore. I am looking for solos or duets sung by
Kishore under the baton of MM. Any help will be appreciated.

regards
anand (a kishore fan.... forever)

Ajay P Nerurkar

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Anand Tiwari wrote:

: I am looking for songs composed by Madan Mohan and sung by

: Kishore Kumar. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
: comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
: lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).

CZ has :

(i) The Kishore solo

des chhuDaae, bhes chhuDae
kya kya kare na preet raamaa

where KK gives full rein to his natural talent for comedy and his
almost pathological imitative tendencies. Various "movements" of this song
are sung in operatic and Middle Eastern styles and a whole three minutes
consist of an at times jarring performance of the nursery rhyme "Jack and
Jill". The refrain, however, is always filmed with KK devotedly hugging
the tanpura.

(ii) The Kishore-Lata duet

bach gaye hum dono phanste phanste
tum bhi chalo hum bhi chalen ab apne apne raste
tera mera chacha zindaabaad

A delightful song. It is obvious that Lata's voice is at its absolute
zenith in this movie.

(iii) Another duet

baDi cheez hai pyaar mohabbat
aisi taisi jhagDe ki

A most memorable song for Lata's spontaneous laughter towards the end

The song you mention is actually the least interesting. Mention has to
be made of "Preetam daras dikhaao" which features some exquisite taanbaazi
by Lata, ably supported by Manna Dey. The Lata solo "Bairan neend na aae"
while not a waste of time, is vapid in comparison.

Ajay

Arun Verma

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

In article <62r05g$d...@drn.zippo.com>, <Anand Tiwari> wrote:

>Hi,

>I am looking for songs composed by Madan Mohan and sung by
>Kishore Kumar. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
>comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
>lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).
>
>I know MM held Kishore in very low esteem but the above song is
>wonderfully sung by Kishore. I am looking for solos or duets sung by
>Kishore under the baton of MM. Any help will be appreciated.
>
>regards
> anand (a kishore fan.... forever)

Here are the songs I am aware of :

Film Song
-------------------------------------
Chacha Zindabad Aye Haseenon
Ek Mutthi Aasmaan Har Koi Chahta
Man Mauji Zaroorat Hai
Memsahib Dil Dil Se Milakar
Parwana Simti Si Sharmai si
Man Mauji Bura Lagta Hai Tu
Sahib Bahadur Raahi Tha Main Aawara

I think there are more in Chacha Zindabad, Aankhen(1950), ManMauji, Memsahib, Ladki,
any more??

Arun

Venugopal V. Iyer

Oct 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/25/97

Anand, Tiwari wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for songs composed by Madan Mohan and sung by
> Kishore Kumar. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
> comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
> lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).
>
> I know MM held Kishore in very low esteem but the above song is
> wonderfully sung by Kishore. I am looking for solos or duets sung by
> Kishore under the baton of MM. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> regards
> anand (a kishore fan.... forever)

another film where MM used KK is Parwana (amitabh,navin nischol), it has
some somgs
worth humming like simti si sharmai si kis duniya se.. and yu na ?? ....
apni gori gori bahen...
etc. I do not remember any other film except for Chacha Zindabad and
Parwana with the
above two together.

Venu
( a rafian)

--
zindagii to bevafaa hai ek din Thukaraaegii
maut mahabuubaa hai apane saath lekar jaaegii

SKalra902

Oct 26, 1997, 2:00:00 AM10/26/97

>) IMO, Bachna aie hasiinoN is a

What I meant was "Ai hasiinoN, nazniinoN".. ;)))

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

SKalra902

Oct 26, 1997, 2:00:00 AM10/26/97

>Another film from the mid-sixties, Ladka Ladki, had two songs by KK, a double
> sided (on 78rpm's) "Suniye suniye, aajkal ki lakdiyoN ka program", in which
>KK

Please read that as "suniye suniye aajkal ki LADKIYON ka program".

My apologies for all the typos.

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

SKalra902

Oct 26, 1997, 2:00:00 AM10/26/97

>. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
>: comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
>: lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).

Wel, that's a matter of personal opinion. :-)) IMO, Bachna aie hasiinoN is a
gem of a song, singing and composition wise, both.

Another film from the mid-sixties, Ladka Ladki, had two songs by KK, a double
sided (on 78rpm's) "Suniye suniye, aajkal ki lakdiyoN ka program", in which KK

acts the role of a girl and a boy simultaneously, with make up and costume of
a boy on one side of the body & face, and a girl's on the other. Only KK
could dare to do that and pull it off convinicingly, too. LL also had a
KK/Usha Mangeshkar duet "Seekh lo, seekh lo, ghum ke maao muskurana siikh lo,
gungunaana siikh lo". (KK gave some excellent duets with Usha, remember the
one from Begunaah, aaja raat beeti jaaye shama tarap ke bujhh na jaye; MD Sh.
Jaikishan).

From the early fifties, Madan Mohan used KK for a duet with Shamshad Begum in
Aashiana (of the "Main paagal mera manawa paagal" fame); it went like "O
madam, o o o madam, do se ho gaye eik hum na faaka na ghum, o madam",
picturized on the character artiste Randheer and ???. This was at a time when
KK used to playback for any one.

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

SKalra902

Oct 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/27/97

>Yes -- I have this CD "Hidden treasures of Madan Mohan" (songs which never
>made
>their way into any movie...from incomplete movies etc). This Kishore solo is
>good,
>there are a couple of Lata solos which I like, and I adore the Talat song you
>mention.
>
>But overall, this album is very very mediocre(IMHO)...FYI, this album has 12
>songs
>in total, Other songs are mostly by Lata with I think 1 song each by Rafi and
>Asha.
>

>Later,
>Arun

Wow, 12 songs! My lp album has only 10, so could you send me the mukhdas of
each song from this Cd, please. Any songs of Madan Mohan can be superior to
the trash being dished out today. :-)))

Happy listenings.

Satish Kalra

Ajay P Nerurkar

Nov 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/4/97

Our Emperor Ashoka of DC never seems to give up trying to get a healthy
flame war going. He can be expected to continue on this path till he
meets his Kalinga.

Ashoka wrote:

: Wow, wow! On one side is Lata, who holds "bairan neend na aae mohe" in
: special regard. Accoridng to Harish Bhimani's book, Lata can't bear to hear
: a large number of her songs, because while listening she detects where she
: could have improved her singing. An exception is this song from 'Chacha
: Zindabad', which meets with her own approval as being flawlessly sung by her.

This point is -- Oh, what's the pompous-sounding word I am looking for here ?
-- Ah!-- ORTHOGONAL to the quality of the song itself. This is also amply
clear from the list of Lata favourites posted by Satish. And, in any case
my evaluation of this song was relative to the masterpiece "Preetam daras
dikhaao".

: PS: Let me admit that I do find "preetam daras dikhaao" more appealing than
: "bairan neend na aae." :)

Thank you very much.

Ajay

Ashok

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

I am not sure what our unconquered buffaloan is implying here.

In article <63nk75$f7t$1...@prometheus.acsu.buffalo.edu>, a...@cs.buffalo.edu says...

>This point is -- Oh, what's the pompous-sounding word I am looking for here ?
>-- Ah!-- ORTHOGONAL to the quality of the song itself.

Looks like the result of repeated viewing of Nova's "Fermat Enigma"!

>This is also amply
>clear from the list of Lata favourites posted by Satish.

What is clear? That the quality of Lata songs is, uhm, orthogonal to
how much Lata likes them (or claims to like them)? That means, according
to you, Lata is a very poor judge of her own songs! (Of course, there is
the other possibility: that she is using her list of favourites rather
strategically for nefarious end.) I myself have some sympathies with
these views, but it is by no means "amply clear". Elaborate.

>And, in any case
>my evaluation of this song was relative to the masterpiece "Preetam daras
>dikhaao".
>

>Ajay

How do you expect to get away with saying that a Manna Dey-Lata song is
better than a Lata-Lata song in this day and age, when the three musketeers
of Bay area, using a 1-2 formation, are leading the charge against Manna Dey?

Ashok

Ketan

Nov 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/6/97

In article <63asur$6...@news1.zippo.com>, ADhar...@WorldBank.Org says...

>How do you know, Anand, that Madan Mohan held Kishore in very
>low esteem? He is one of the few MDs that have worked with Kishore
>in all three of his phases: the first playback-singer period of the early
>1950s, the actor-singer phase, and the second playback-singer era
>after 'Aradhana.' (I can think of only two other MDs like that: SDB
>and CR.) Madan Mohan didn't have many films during the third phase,

This particular fact of KK having worked with only 3 MD's in his 3 phases got me
thinking. I asked myself, how many MD's are there for whom KK has worked in 3
phases overall.

Phase 1 Playback singing in Pre-Aradhana days when he sung playback for any and
every actor.
Phase 2 when he was an actor-singer
Phase 3 Post Aradhana phase.

After considerable pacing on the carpet, and frying my neurons, the light bulb
over my head was illuminated. I was a little annoyed at myself for not having
got the answer sooner. {Right now I am even more annoyed, since while typing
this, I remembered one more of my favourite MD's). :)

MD # 1 : RDB. We have KK singing "Jaago sonewalo" for Mehmood, for KK himself in
Padosan which is a 1968 release and ofcourse Post Aradhana.

MD # 2 : Salil Chaudhary. Ofcourse as an actor singer he has sung for Salil in
Half Ticket, and Musafir and post Aradhana in Annadata etc. I did not know if he
had sung playback for Salil in a movie in which KK had not acted, and then a few
minutes back something told me--isn't there a KK song in the movie Parivar? KK
does not even act in the movie at all. I think there is a KK song.. and if so,
we would have 2 more to the list of MD's of KK in his 3 phases.

Ashok, could you please list KK's songs/movies with CR in the 3 phases? I did
not know KK had worked with CR in the post Aradhana phase. I am curious to see,
if SJ could fit into the 3 phases that I have outlined above or even Ashok's 3
phases. Dunno, if there is a KK song for SJ in the early 50's.

Thanks for taking the time off to read this post. I am sure you are eager to hit
the "next" button and get back to the wars. :)

Ketan

A Burman fan(atic)

PS: Er... does one oil one's swords? I thought you only kept them sharp. Sad to
see such low tech weaponry in this era of laser guided missiles. :)

Ajay P Nerurkar

Nov 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/7/97

Ashoka wrote:

: What is clear? That the quality of Lata songs is, uhm, orthogonal to

: how much Lata likes them (or claims to like them)? That means, according
: to you, Lata is a very poor judge of her own songs! (Of course, there is
: the other possibility: that she is using her list of favourites rather
: strategically for nefarious end.) I myself have some sympathies with
: these views, but it is by no means "amply clear". Elaborate.

Well, why her picks are so off base in some cases, we may never know for
certain, since singing is such an intensely personal experience. How she
feels about a particular song is no doubt a function of how she felt that
day in the recording room. For example, I feel "O basanti pawan paagal"
(Jis Desh Mein Ganga Behti Hai) is among Lata's best for any MD but if
I recall correctly wasn't included in her SJ list.

Even so, I have always felt that she is less than honest in this respect,
letting her prejudices get in the way of an impartial appraisal of her work.
A case in point : 7 Hridaynath compositions on that album. I'd be the last
one to complain of any bias towards Hridaynath but one must never abandon
one's sense of fairplay.

A couple of quickie examples should suffice (taken from Satish's postings)

Roshan
------

1. Duniya kare sawaal (Bahu Begum)
2. Raat ki mehfil sooni sooni (Noor Jehan)
3. Paaon chhoo lene do (Taj Mahal)

Also Roshan's "duniya
kare sawaal" stands already named by Lata as among her '25
Favourites' in Filmfare.

Now, come on! "Duniya kare sawaal" among her 25 favourites ? Is this
song even in the same zipcode as "Yehi bahaar hai" (Raag Rang) ?

RD Burman
---------

1. Dilbar dil se pyaare Dilbar (Caravan)
2. Na jaa mere humdum (Pyar Ka Mausam)
3. Tere liye palkon ki jhalar (Harjaae)

Anyone who can say (without snickering) that these represent Lata's best
for RD ahead of "Ghar aaja ghir aai" (Chhote Nawaab), "Raina beeti jaae"
(Amar Prem), "Naam gum jaaega" (Kinara), "Ae ri pawan" (Bemisaal) and
"Saawan ke jhoole pade" (Jurmaana), please get in touch with me.

: How do you expect to get away with saying that a Manna Dey-Lata song is

: better than a Lata-Lata song in this day and age, when the three musketeers
: of Bay area, using a 1-2 formation, are leading the charge against Manna Dey?

Unfortunately, they are a man short at present. Sri P. Rajan is visiting
sleepy Goa in the western part of India.

Ajay

sangeetag...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2017, 2:46:14 PM4/13/17
On Friday, October 24, 1997 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, anand_tiwari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for songs composed by Madan Mohan and sung by
> Kishore Kumar. I cannot remember many and the one which instantly
> comes to my mind is "Aey haseenon naazneenon, main dil hatehli pe
> lekar aa raha hoon" from "Chacha Zindabad" (?).
>
> I know MM held Kishore in very low esteem but the above song is
> wonderfully sung by Kishore. I am looking for solos or duets sung by
> Kishore under the baton of MM. Any help will be appreciated.
>
> regards
> anand (a kishore fan.... forever)

It is incorrect to say that Madan Mohan held Kishore Kumar in low esteem. Madan Mohan scored music for 7 films starring Kishore Kumar, which included Ilzaam in 1954, Bhai Bhai in 1956, Mem Sahib 1956, Chandan 1958, Chacha Zindabad 1959, ManMauji 1962, Ladka Ladki 1966. Kishore Kumar and Madan Mohan combined even the last film that released after Madan Mohan passed away in 1975 - Sahib Bahadur...Few of the well songs of the combine are 1. Mera naam abdul rehman - Bhai Bhai 2. Dil dil se milakar Dekho - Mem Sahib, 3. Aye Haseeno - Chacha Zindabad, 4. Zaroorat Hai - Manmauji, 5. Ik Tha Abdul Rehman - duet with Lata Mangeshkar - Manmauji 6. Suniye suniye aaj kal ki - Ladka Ladki, 7. Simti Si - Parwana, 8. Yun na sharma with Asha Bhosle - Parwana, 9. Bhor aayi gaya andhiyara - Bawarchi, 10. Har Koi chahta hai ik muthi aasman 11. Pyar kabhi kam na karna sanam with Vani Jairam 12, Rahi tha main awara and Raat ko aayiga from Sahib Bahadur among many other songs.