Why was Kishore Kumar denied the National Award?

JK

Nov 8, 2001, 4:48:17 PM11/8/01
Why was Kishore Kumar denied the National Award? All the other old
school singers, Rafi, Mukesh, Manna Dey, Mahendra Kapoor,Hemant Kumar
all won, but one of the greatest of them all never won! Was Kishore
ever nominated? Is there some kind of list available with these
details?

Jai

Gaurav Sareen

Nov 8, 2001, 6:59:39 PM11/8/01
Why the fuss about these awards? That Kishore did not get a particular
award, whil Mahendra Kapoor did diminishes the stature of the award rather
than Kishore.

Looking at these awards for statistical or analytical purposes is
interesting(see thread FF awards), but to decide upon greatness using them
is lending them undeserved relevance.

"JK" <JaiKu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Abhay Jain

Nov 8, 2001, 10:28:29 PM11/8/01

"JK" <JaiKu...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

It may have something to do with him being in trouble
with the income tax department in 60s. In fact he owed
the most amount. Other personality in trouble was
Mala Sinha on which Kaka Hathrasi even had a
parody line:

'Mala Ke Male Mile Saat Lakh Ke Note"

Abhay Jain

ajit

Nov 9, 2001, 12:10:58 AM11/9/01
JaiKu...@hotmail.com (JK) wrote in message news:<c00b55b8.01110...@posting.google.com>...

I wonder if Rafi,Mukesh and Manna Dey HAVE won National awards!!!

Girish Bhat

Nov 9, 2001, 1:59:52 AM11/9/01

I second this request for a list of National Award winners with analsis.
Come on all you gurus, you know we are interested in this!
Pssst, Interesting that you missed on Talat Mehmood.

JK

Nov 9, 2001, 5:03:00 AM11/9/01
"Gaurav Sareen" <albel...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<L%EG7.3185$qK.1...@typhoon.austin.rr.com>...

> Why the fuss about these awards? That Kishore did not get a particular
> award, whil Mahendra Kapoor did diminishes the stature of the award rather
> than Kishore.
>
> Looking at these awards for statistical or analytical purposes is
> interesting(see thread FF awards), but to decide upon greatness using them
> is lending them undeserved relevance.

I agree that Awards are not a true indication of greatness. I also
don&#8217;t think anyone can doubt Kishore Kumar&#8217;s greatness. I
am quite intrigued by the fact that Kishore won the Filmfare Award a
record 8 times yet he couldn't register a single National Award win,
whilst his all contemporaries were able to win the National Award. I
am quite surprised that nothing from his repertoire was deemed worthy
of national honours.

JK

Nov 9, 2001, 7:36:42 AM11/9/01
> I second this request for a list of National Award winners with analsis.
> Come on all you gurus, you know we are interested in this!
> Pssst, Interesting that you missed on Talat Mehmood.

To my knowledge, Talat Mehmood was not awarded the National Award.
Probably because he had already sang his best songs before the
inception of the Awards.

Ajit - in response to your posting, Mahendra Kapoor won in 1967 for
Mere Desh Ki Dharti (Upkar), Manna Dey won twice for some song in 1968
or 1969,and also for Ae Bhai Zara Dekh Ke Chalo (Mera Naam Joker) in
1971. Hemant Kumar won in the early seventies for some bengali song I
think, Mukesh won in 1974 for Kahi Baar Yoon Bhi (Rajnigandha).
Mohammed Rafi won in 1977 for Kya Hua Tera Wada (Hum Kisise Kum
Nahin). But Kishore's name is absent.

Ket...@att.net

Nov 9, 2001, 1:26:26 PM11/9/01
In article <c00b55b8.01110...@posting.google.com>,
JaiKu...@hotmail.com says...

By 1975 Kishore had managed to get on the wrong side of the government and VC
Shukla for refusing to sing at a government rally or something. He was never
going to be considered for anything like a National award after that.

ajit

Nov 10, 2001, 3:36:40 AM11/10/01
> Ajit - in response to your posting, Mahendra Kapoor won in 1967 for
> Mere Desh Ki Dharti (Upkar), Manna Dey won twice for some song in 1968
> or 1969,and also for Ae Bhai Zara Dekh Ke Chalo (Mera Naam Joker) in
> 1971. Hemant Kumar won in the early seventies for some bengali song I
> think, Mukesh won in 1974 for Kahi Baar Yoon Bhi (Rajnigandha).
> Mohammed Rafi won in 1977 for Kya Hua Tera Wada (Hum Kisise Kum
> Nahin). But Kishore's name is absent.

Hello Jai:

I think these are all filmfare awards. Even http://mohdrafi.com says
that MR hasnt got a single national award.

Now the reason why KK didnt get a National award. I think national
awards have been given mostly for semiclassical songs. KK has hardly
done anything of that sort.Thats a probable reason.

Yet I dont know why Lata got the national award for "roothhE roothhE
piyA" in 1975 amongst all songs like "rukE rukE sE qadam". And
surprisingly she got none for Pakeezah. PS got it that year for "Paal
polave", a song for MS Viswanathan.

I also cannot understand why Ijaazat was chosen for NA. Neither has
Asha sung those well(IMHO) nor were they good comp. and as for the
lyrics ... ummmmm.

I think South Indian artists have got more NA in general. Nothing from
the HFM sidecould have been even a contestant for the same in 1973
when Vani Jairam got it for a truly epic Tamil song "ezhu
swarangalukkul". Her performance in this song was TERRRRRRRRRRRRIFIC.

Singer no of national awards

LM - 3
ASHA -2
KJY -7
SPB -6
VANI JAIRAM - 3
P Susheela - 5
Chitra - 5
Janaki - 2??

JK

Nov 10, 2001, 3:33:53 PM11/10/01
ajit...@hotmail.com (ajit) wrote in message news:<c5161e15.01111...@posting.google.com>...

Ajit, the songs I mentioned were wins for National Awards. I have
checked on www.BollywoodSoundtracks.com, where they list all Filmfare
Award winners in music and some of these songs did in fact win
Filmfare Awards too.

On this website, there is also a Bollywood Legends sections where
there is a short page devoted to singers/actors. On the Mohammed Rafi
page it states Rafi won both the National Award and Filmfare Award for
Kya Hua Tera Wada. My friend also has a CD of Rafi live in concert
and the compere also says Rafi won both awards for that song. And I
have also seen a picture on the net somewhere showing Rafi receiving
the NA. I am sure

As for the NA going for mostly Semi-Classical songs, I am not sure
this is correct, as I don't think any of the songs I mentioned were
classical style. Ketand's posting about Kishore getting on the wrong
side of the government in 1975 seems plausible. But what about the
work between 1969-1974, where gems like Chingari Koi Bhadke and Mera
Jeevan Kora Kagaz have been overlooked. It's scandalous!

ajit

Nov 11, 2001, 6:04:45 AM11/11/01
Jai:

Well thanks for giving me the info!! Twas news for me!!

Now about NA going for semiclassical songs would be true. U might
notice that a huge chunk of NA has goone to South Indian artists. If u
listen to all the songs for which Yesudas and SPB hav won NA then
songs like "chingari koi bhadke" and "mera jeevan kora kaagaz" seem
really NOTHING. I think I'll try to obtain a complete list of NA for
singers and ascertain that for u.

Well out of the 5 NA for KS Chitra, 4 have been for semiclassical ones
- the best being "padarayEn" from Sindhubhairavi. Vani Jairam got it
for "manasa sanchararE", "aanathi neeyarA" and "ezhu swarangalukkul"
(films - shankarabharanam,swathikiranam,appoorva raagangal) - all
semiclassical.

Asha got it for Umrao Jaan (semi-cl..) and Ijaazat.
Lata got it for "beeti na bitayi" and "yaara sili sili" (all
semi-cl...)

I dont think KKs being on the wrong side of the govt. is the reason.

The songs sung by South Indian artists were WAAYYYYYY better, esp. on
the male side. I am really surprised Rafi got it for "kya hua tera
waada"!!!!!

BTW - I am pretty surprised Yesudas did get NO award for
"hairmuraliravam" and "pramadhavanam" (films - aaram thampooran and
his highness abdullah - mallu songs).

Ket...@att.net

Nov 12, 2001, 12:07:06 PM11/12/01
In article <c5161e15.0111...@posting.google.com>,
ajit...@hotmail.com says...

>BTW - I am pretty surprised Yesudas did get NO award for
>"hairmuraliravam" and "pramadhavanam" (films - aaram thampooran and
>his highness abdullah - mallu songs).

Amen! To 'pramadhavanam' from His Highness Abdullah! As far as singing ability
and vocal wizadry go, I would not hesitate to put this in my all time top 10
list.

Ketan

Suresh

Nov 12, 2001, 9:30:40 PM11/12/01
> >BTW - I am pretty surprised Yesudas did get NO award for
> >"hairmuraliravam" and "pramadhavanam" (films - aaram thampooran and
> >his highness abdullah - mallu songs).

Both are magnificent melodies - but "Pramadhavanam" is in a seperate
class altogether. Quite an amazing rendition . In fact, th ewhole
soundtrack is studded with fantastc songs - "Deva sabha thalam",
"Madaroopini" and "Gopika vasantham" are all as good as they come. And
the less-liked "Tu badi masha Allah" is much better than any Hindi
film song I have heard in recent years.
I also recommend "Bharatham", "Dhwani" (a Naushad musical - so I warn
a few of my felow comrades here :-). But its got some very fine songs
like "Janai jane" and "Rathisukha") and any idea which film this
wonderful song is : "Souparnikaamritha" ? It stars Mohanlal I know.

Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Nov 12, 2001, 10:27:03 PM11/12/01
Ket...@att.net wrote in message news:<9sovj...@drn.newsguy.com>...

Um, are you sure he got no award for Pramadavanam? I thought he did
get one (in the early '90s or so)...Ramesh Hariharan, where are you?

Sanjeev

ajit

Nov 13, 2001, 4:17:20 AM11/13/01
Ket...@att.net wrote in message news:<9sovj...@drn.newsguy.com>...

Which year is "Pramadhanvanam" from? Did KJY get NA for it?

Also what about "harimuraliravam"?

Great violin pieces in the latter.

JK

Nov 13, 2001, 5:07:06 AM11/13/01
ajit...@hotmail.com (ajit) wrote in message news:<c5161e15.0111...@posting.google.com>...
> Jai:
>
> Now about NA going for semiclassical songs would be true. I think I'll try to > obtain a complete list of NA for singers and ascertain that for u.

Ajit you are right about a lot of semi classical songs winning the NA,
but I think we can equally say many of the winning songs were not
classically oriented, recent winners e.g. Alka Yagnik - Kuch Kuch Hota
Hai in 1998 or previous ones like Rafi. Surely a song of Kishore must
have been considered if others like the above have won.

You are right about most of the winners being South Indian, I think
only a handful of Hindi songs/soundtracks have won the award. It
would be great if you or anyone else could obtain a complete list of
winners (and nominees) in the music categories.

ajit

Nov 13, 2001, 7:46:55 AM11/13/01
.
> I also recommend "Bharatham", "Dhwani" (a Naushad musical - so I warn
> a few of my felow comrades here :-). But its got some very fine songs
> like "Janai jane" and "Rathisukha") and any idea which film this
> wonderful song is : "Souparnikaamritha" ? It stars Mohanlal I know.

A Naushad musical in Malayalam ?????

Could I have more info??

ajit

Nov 13, 2001, 7:57:05 AM11/13/01
Sanjeev and Suresh:

Raveendran is a really great composer. I just cant get enough of the
violin interludes in all the songs u mentioned.

Those violin pieces seem like a mixture of Indian and western to me.

Suresh

Nov 15, 2001, 1:04:21 AM11/15/01
> A Naushad musical in Malayalam ?????
>
> Could I have more info??

Cant give too much info - not being a Malayali myself, dont know much
abt the film part of it. The film's name is "Dhwani", starred Shobana
and Jayaraman I think. Had a whole host of Yesudas and Chitra stunners
-
Janaki jane - KJY (Too good)
Aankuyile thenkuyile - KJY (Superb number)
A duet by KJY and P.Susheela
And my great favourite - Rathisukha kaaramai.. kalakaran. Great
number.

Suresh

Suresh

Nov 15, 2001, 1:05:55 AM11/15/01
> Which year is "Pramadhanvanam" from? Did KJY get NA for it?
>
> Also what about "harimuraliravam"?
>
> Great violin pieces in the latter.

Think "His Highness Abdullah" ("Pramadhavan vendum") was released in
1992-93, while "Aaram thampuran" ("Hari muraliravam") in 1998-99.

Both stunners - but the former takes the cake.

Suresh

sajjadmq

Nov 15, 2001, 3:26:02 PM11/15/01
POLITICS!!!!!

SAJJAD.

mohdsha...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2018, 9:18:29 AM4/2/18
This is very sad that a good singer of india who has won 8 times fim fare awards is still far away from a single National Award. I really don't know whats the true fact about it.But when i tried to know about this then few old guys said that some problem were going at thoes time between KK n goverment of India. But i don't think that KK is less than anybody. As the great singer or we can say A Man of GOLDEN voice of INDIA Mohd Rafi Sahab has won 2 times national award for Neel Kamal n Hum Kisi Se Kam Nahi.Kishoar da also deserve it

sidd...@sikdar.in

Apr 2, 2018, 11:37:37 PM4/2/18
To the original question in this chain:

Few years back I was talking about this to Bharti Jaffrey, eldest child of Ashok Kumar. She brought out a lot of facts tucked in the family history. 'Kaka' was openly critical of the Emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi. On one occasion, various film actors and singers were called to perform at a government organised event. Kishore Kumar refused to attend the event.

This did not go down well and soon enough all his songs were stopped playing on Vividh Bharati and all other state-controlled media - which was the media at that time.

If he was denied a national award during this period, it is likely those are for reasons o opposition to Emergency. Before this period or after, can't say.

prashant kadam

Jul 8, 2022, 2:04:18 PM7/8/22
No Doubt , the Best Male Singer India ever produced was Kishore Kumar ( the only singer to sing in the straight Actor's Note ). Well he had problems with the Income tax department from 1960, then he was barred from All India Radio association coz he denied singing for free for Sanjay Gandhi. It had to do with the government in power which was Congress ( Anti hindu, corrupt , dynasty focused, no proper leader to take care of the house India , Pakistan infiltrating from the north , China from the east, Nehru busy with his girlfriend, couldn't manage to take care of the house.) Sooner or later Justice will prevail.

Santhanakrishnan Srinivasan

Jul 19, 2022, 11:11:26 AM7/19/22
Kishore Kumar during the Emergency refused part take in a program organized by Sanjay Gandhi and Youth Congress), and as an action against him AIR banned playing Kishore Kumar songs - till the Janata government was formed. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe14p_UwSjo) Probably this was a reason why subsequent Congress governments did not consider giving him an award. Other governments were around for a short time, during Kishore Kumar's life time.
S Santhanakrishnan