Amit Kumar and Kumar Sanu

vinay sathe

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96

<< Sanjay Joshi's article about Amit Kumar edited >>

> anyway. I also tried to get "Mad" while in Bombay, but couldn't. Hope he
> starts singing in movies again. Till then Kumar Sanu is our fate!!!

> Sanjay

Sanjay,
I know you like Amit Kumar. So do I. However, after listening to his version of
"Is tarah ashiqui ka" from Imtihaan [new] on CD, I am glad to know that he
has retired. Please listen to this CD and compare with Kumar Sanu's version of the
same song on it. Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Vinay Sathe
Vinay Sathe
General Instrument
vsa...@gi.com

Sanjay Joshi

Jan 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/30/96
On 30 Jan 1996, vinay sathe wrote:

> << Sanjay Joshi's article about Amit Kumar edited >> >

> > anyway. I also tried to get "Mad" while in Bombay, but couldn't. Hope
>he starts singing in movies again. Till then Kumar Sanu is our fate!!!
> Sanjay > > >

>Sanjay,

>I know you like Amit Kumar. So do I. However, after listening to his
>version of "Is tarah ashiqui ka" from Imtihaan [new] on CD, I am glad to
>know that he has retired. Please listen to this CD and compare with Kumar
>Sanu's version of the same song on it. Let me know what you think.

Hi Vinay,

I have listened to Amit Kumar's "Is tarah..." from Imtihaan and to
tell you the truth, I liked it a lot. I haven't listened to Kumar Sanu's
version and so I can't comment on it. But I'll try to as soon as possible.
I feel that Amit's stength is that he is able to retain control and the
"zangyness" of his voice at low pitches as well on high pitches, while
Sanu tends to get nasal at the higher pitches. I would like to know
everybody else's views on these songs.

Regards,

Sanjay (An Amit and KK fan)

som...@somemachine.somewhere.someuniversity

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
Sanjay Joshi <jo...@eesun1.tamu.edu> wrote:

>>Sanjay,

>Hi Vinay,

>Regards,

Amit Kumar wins heads over Kumar Sanu. He has sung many memorable
songs under the great RD. Listen to them and then decide.

Ciao

som...@somemachine.somewhere.someuniversity

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96

test

Rahul Rana

Jan 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/31/96
In article <4emooj$i...@qualcomm.com>,
<som...@somemachine.somewhere.someuniversity> wrote:

>Amit Kumar wins heads over Kumar Sanu. He has sung many memorable
>songs under the great RD. Listen to them and then decide.
>
>Ciao

I am a big fan of Amit Kumar too and I like him much more than
Kumar Sanu. Sad part however is that he was never a favourite of a
'hit' music director. He sung for RDB, LP and Rajesh Roshan and gave
some very good songs in movies like: "Love story", "Teri Kasam", "Tezaab",
"Kishan-Kanhaiya", and "Khel" etc. But he was never given much chance by,
for example, Nadeem Shravan and Anu Malik who gave strings of hits recently.
Now, imho, the situation is that if a music director has a catchy tune,
he likes to get Kumar Sanu to sing for it.

I like Kumar Sanu also (after all he has given just too many hits!!). I feel
that Kumar Sanu has more mature voice which probably is better for some songs
like 'Tujhe dekha to', 'Ik ladki ko dekha', 'Baazigar o baazigar' etc but
Amit Kumar can sing songs like 'Rooth na jana' (1942), 'Ye kali kali aankhen',
'Jaati hoon main', songs of "Phir teri kahani .." and "Sir" much better.

.. comments welcome.

--R

PS: Among the recent songs, some of my favourites of Amit Kumar are:
'Kah do ke tum' (Tezaab), 'Aap ko dekh ke' (Kishan Kanhaiya),
'Soone shaam savere' (Khel). (Someone wants to add to list ..?)

Kuntal Shah

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

Sanjay> Hi Vinay,

Sanjay> I have listened to Amit Kumar's "Is tarah..." from
Sanjay> Imtihaan and to tell you the truth, I liked it a lot. I
Sanjay> haven't listened to Kumar Sanu's version and so I can't
Sanjay> comment on it. But I'll try to as soon as possible. I
Sanjay> feel that Amit's stength is that he is able to retain
Sanjay> control and the "zangyness" of his voice at low pitches as
Sanjay> well on high pitches, while Sanu tends to get nasal at the
Sanjay> higher pitches. I would like to know everybody else's
Sanjay> views on these songs.

I did not get to read Vinay's original post. But my opinion about this
song is same as Sanjay's. I have listened to both versions.

Vinay, if you still have doubts, try to imagine Kumar Sanu singing
"Deewana dil Deewana" from KHKN or "Keh do ke tum ho meri varna" from
Tezaab.

--
Kuntal.
| humeN kya khabar thi kisi moD par yuuN milega humeN bhi koi ajnabi |

vinay sathe

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96

>In article <4emooj$i...@qualcomm.com> som...@somemachine.somewhere.someuniversity writes:
>
> Amit Kumar wins heads over Kumar Sanu. He has sung many memorable
> songs under the great RD. Listen to them and then decide.
>
> Ciao

There is no doubt that Amit Kumar has sung a few good songs, not just under
RD but Bappi Lahiri [Afsana pyar ka] and others. I also thought that he had
an upper hand on Sanu in terms of quality of his voice UNTIL I heard the
CD of Imtihan. You have to listen to the CD, not the tape. The CD recording
is very clear. In fact, it is so clear that you can listen to both
AK and KS breathe during their songs. Amit Kumar's voice is HORRENDOUS in
that song.

From you post, it seems that you work in Qualcomm, which is just down the
road from where I work. If you had signed your name identifying yourself,
I could have let you borrow my CD, in case you haven't heard it.

Take care.

Vinay

Sanjay Joshi

Feb 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/6/96
On 2 Feb 1996, vinay sathe wrote:

> >In article <4emooj$i...@qualcomm.com> som...@somemachine.somewhere.someuniversity writes:
> >
> > Amit Kumar wins heads over Kumar Sanu. He has sung many memorable
> > songs under the great RD. Listen to them and then decide.
> >
> > Ciao
>
> There is no doubt that Amit Kumar has sung a few good songs, not just under
> RD but Bappi Lahiri [Afsana pyar ka] and others. I also thought that he had
> an upper hand on Sanu in terms of quality of his voice UNTIL I heard the
> CD of Imtihan. You have to listen to the CD, not the tape. The CD recording
> is very clear. In fact, it is so clear that you can listen to both
> AK and KS breathe during their songs. Amit Kumar's voice is HORRENDOUS in
> that song.

OK. That is your opinion. But come on Vinay, you can't say that Amit
should have retired just because of one "horrendous" song. You yourself
admit that he is good and has sung many good songs. Tell me your honest
opinion; who is better in terms of voice, control and style? You should
consider all songs sung by these two.
Tell me...
Bye,

Sanjay

vinay sathe

Feb 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/8/96
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960206225024.29376A-100000-100000@eesun2> Sanjay Joshi <jo...@eesun1.tamu.edu> writes:

> OK. That is your opinion. But come on Vinay, you can't say that Amit
> should have retired just because of one "horrendous" song. You yourself
> admit that he is good and has sung many good songs. Tell me your honest
> opinion; who is better in terms of voice, control and style? You should
> consider all songs sung by these two.
> Tell me...
> Bye,

> Sanjay

O.K. O.K.... now that you have put me on the spot, I must admit that
purely in terms of quality of voice, I think that Amit Kumar has
the edge over Sanu [something to do with heredity, I guess]. HOWEVER,
in control and style, I think Sanu wins over Amit Kumar. I have
noticed recently that AmitKumar tends to go besuur quite often.
Maybe he is not disciplined enough? Does anyone know what he does
for a living? Or is he just living off KK's wealth? I guess my
point is that his level of motivation is probably lower than Sanu's.

Sanjay Joshi

Feb 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/14/96
On 8 Feb 1996, vinay sathe wrote:

> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.960206225024.29376A-100000-100000@eesun2> Sanjay Joshi <jo...@eesun1.tamu.edu> writes:
>

> > OK. That is your opinion. But come on Vinay, you can't say that Amit
> > should have retired just because of one "horrendous" song. You yourself
> > admit that he is good and has sung many good songs. Tell me your honest
> > opinion; who is better in terms of voice, control and style? You should
> > consider all songs sung by these two.
> > Tell me...
> > Bye,
>
> > Sanjay
>

> O.K. O.K.... now that you have put me on the spot, I must admit that
> purely in terms of quality of voice, I think that Amit Kumar has
> the edge over Sanu [something to do with heredity, I guess]. HOWEVER,
> in control and style, I think Sanu wins over Amit Kumar. I have
> noticed recently that AmitKumar tends to go besuur quite often.
> Maybe he is not disciplined enough? Does anyone know what he does
> for a living? Or is he just living off KK's wealth? I guess my
> point is that his level of motivation is probably lower than Sanu's.
>
> Vinay

OK but I still think that Amit has a better quality of voice and control.
You can see that especially in the yodelling parts of songs.
But I agree 100% with the second part. Amit Kumar is not too professional
and doesn't seem to have too much motivation while K.Sanu has been the
smart one. He had it made in 1988 with hit songs and no competition, but
he just blew it. I really wonder what he does nowadays...

Sanjay