Help with Bihag Bada Khayal Lyrics

Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Nov 13, 2010, 10:13:31 PM11/13/10
RMICers,

There's a 1956 recording of Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan which includes
a pair of khayals and a tarana in Bihag. The drut is the well-known
"Ab To Rat Laagi" - as far as the vilambit goes, I can make out some
words (moreso in the antara, which begins "Dagamag Dole Chalat
Gajagamini...") but was wondering if others familiar with the bandish
can help with the sthayi.

Thanks in advance,

Sanjeev

djames

Nov 15, 2010, 11:36:21 AM11/15/10
On Nov 13, 7:13 pm, Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Sanjeev, It is in Malti Gilani's book on BGAK and it goes "he kaan mo
karan phool chab det hei, dag mag dole chalat gaj gamini, nevar
ki jhankar parat hei charan nirakh ras let hei james

Abhik Majumdar

Nov 15, 2010, 11:41:05 PM11/15/10
> Sanjeev,  It is in Malti Gilani's book on BGAK and it goes "he kaan mo karan phool chab det hei, dag mag dole chalat gaj gamini, nevar ki jhankar parat hei  charan nirakh ras let hei

No reference to 'Sabarang' in the Bandish?

Abhik

djames

Nov 16, 2010, 2:02:19 AM11/16/10

no

Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Nov 16, 2010, 10:54:00 AM11/16/10

Thanks James - yup, no reference to Sabrang that I could hear. The
words/syllables are what I hear, just had some trouble parsing. The
(a)sthayi also contains (in this rendition anyway) the words "man
hamaro..." something.

Sanjeev

Abhik Majumdar

Nov 17, 2010, 2:47:19 AM11/17/10
> (a)sthayi also contains (in this rendition anyway) the words "man hamaro..." something.

Just crosschecked with the recording uploaded on this
sangeethamshare.com page:

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/murthy/154-Bade-Ghulam-Ali-Khan-10-renditions/

The Astayi there does contain the words you mention. So far as I can
make out, it goes: E kaan mo karan phool chhab det hai, man hamaro
hara let hai.

No mention of Sabarang, James's right. Surprising, though, because
BGAK was pretty particular about stamping his takhallus on his
compositions.

Abhik

djames

Nov 17, 2010, 4:03:36 AM11/17/10
On Nov 16, 11:47 pm, Abhik Majumdar <abhik.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > (a)sthayi also contains (in this rendition anyway) the words "man hamaro..." something.
>
> Just crosschecked with the recording uploaded on this
> sangeethamshare.com page:
>
> http://www.sangeethamshare.org/murthy/154-Bade-Ghulam-Ali-Khan-10-ren...

> The Astayi there does contain the words you mention. So far as I can
> make out, it goes: E kaan mo karan phool chhab det hai, man hamaro
> hara let hai.
>
> No mention of Sabarang, James's right. Surprising, though, because
> BGAK was pretty particular about stamping his takhallus on his
> compositions.
>
> Abhik

BGAK was pretty particular about stamping his takhallus on his
> compositions

There are many compositions in this book that do not have his
takhallus, including all the taranas. This is a compilation of
compositions by Manorma Ahuja in the chapter called "compositions of
Sabrang" which I suppose could mean compositions he sang as well as
ones he composed. For example did he compose "lat ulajhi sulajha ja
balama" in bihag? or marwa vilambit "piya mori kahu ko"in which
adarang's name is in the antara? Is "hari om tatsat" his composition?
It also seems that his name does not come in most of the thumris.
James

Sundeep Dougal

Nov 16, 2022, 6:51:00 AM11/16/22
I am sorry for butting into this thread, mainly because there was a mention of "अब तो रट लागी लागी मोरी"

Briefly, I am looking for the lyrics in this recording of BGAK's Bihagda.

Since this thread has people conversant with BGAK, I thought I would take the liberty of posting this query here as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D79ii9_sD3c

In this recording, the first bandish is clear enough (though this too is not in Mati Gilani/Quratulain Hyder book):

हे चन्दा छुप जा
चाँदनी तोरी मन को दुखाये
सगरी रैन मोरी तरपत बीती
सबरंग पिया बिन
कछू ना भाये

It is in the second part, from about 27:45 onwards that I can't make out any of the words, other than the phrase from the popular "अब तो रट लागी लागी मोरी" in Bihag but the rest of it is mostly a variation on "kamal ban...something something" "is paapi ko...something".

I would be grateful for any help.

With regards,
Sundeep