Bihari Kalyan vs. Shuddha Nat

MAUSAM

Nov 26, 2004, 2:24:43 AM11/26/04
I was listening to Vilayat Hussain Khan singing Bihari Kalyan (from the
AIR release). His rendition sounded awfully close to Mallikarjun Mansur's
Shuddha Nat (ankhan mori lagi). Especially the repetition of M,GRG,RSR
phrase in both these. Are the raags Bihari Kalyan and Shuddha Nat similar?
What are their chalans?

Mausam

Akash

Nov 26, 2004, 12:26:15 PM11/26/04
MAUSAM <mau...@cs.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.58L.04...@gerhilde.cs.washington.edu>...

Check this link on sawf. Rajan has posted some examples of this.
http://www.sawf.org/Newedit/edit04302001/musicarts1.asp

BTW- Bihari Kalyan by VHK is called as Sar Nat by Babanrao Haldankar.
They both sing same bandish (raga is same too) and belong to same
gharana, but name the raga differently.

Thanx.
AG

Abhik Majumdar

Nov 27, 2004, 5:54:28 PM11/27/04
> They both sing same bandish (raga is same too) and belong to same
> gharana, but name the raga differently.

Name the Raga differently? As in 'I dub thee Saar Nat'?

Abhik

Adwait Joshi

Nov 30, 2004, 4:54:04 PM11/30/04
a.maj...@mailinator.com (Abhik Majumdar) wrote in message news:<5abf2e71.04112...@posting.google.com>...

Abhik,
I think this is also true with Raag Haunsdhwani and Kaushi Dhwani.
Both are same raags named differently! May be because Haunsdhwani is
originating from Carnatic style.
Adwait

Warren Senders

Dec 1, 2004, 11:42:14 AM12/1/04
> I think this is also true with Raag Haunsdhwani and Kaushi Dhwani.
> Both are same raags named differently! May be because Haunsdhwani is
> originating from Carnatic style.
> Adwait

The two raags are not identical at all.

WS

Adwait Joshi

Dec 1, 2004, 10:11:06 PM12/1/04
war...@aol.com (Warren Senders) wrote in message news:<c9b38280.04120...@posting.google.com>...

Warren,
Could you please point out the differences between the two above
raags. May be I am wrong on the names!
Adwait

gir...@dslextreme.com

Dec 1, 2004, 11:52:20 PM12/1/04

I think he means Bhinna Shadja and Kaushik Dhwani...

Warren

Dec 2, 2004, 9:09:30 AM12/2/04

in essence:

Hamsdhwani: S R G P N s

Kaushik Dhwani: S G M D N s

If Adwait really meant Bhinna Shadja and Kaushik Dhwani,
those two scales are the same, although there has been
much learned dispute about chalan differences, etc.

WS

MAUSAM

Dec 2, 2004, 1:33:12 PM12/2/04
On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Warren wrote:

> If Adwait really meant Bhinna Shadja and Kaushik Dhwani,
> those two scales are the same, although there has been
> much learned dispute about chalan differences, etc.
>
> WS

And there is a "Hindoli" too. I think that is very similar to Bhinna
Shadja. So probably that might be a better example for same raag named
differently. Another example to the point is "Bheem" and "Gavati".

Mausam

mysticmusician

Dec 2, 2004, 7:17:46 AM12/2/04

CRAP!!!!! Yes I mean Bhinna Shadja and Kaushik Dhwani :))) I am sorry I
dont know what I was thinking.

MAUSAM

Dec 2, 2004, 11:27:45 PM12/2/04
I have heard Yashwant Bua remark once (when farmaished for Bheem) ki
"instrumental wale use Gavati bolte hain" or something like that.

Warren, is there any recording of Bheem with komal gandhar in taar saptak?

Mausam

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Abhay Phadnis wrote:

> Warren Senders wrote:
> (snip)
> > And Bhim and Gavati are not exactly identical; Bhim uses
> > komal ga in a few tar saptak phrases (presumably to
> > ensure that it's not confused with Gavati).
>
> FWIW: In a concert in Pune two years ago, Prabhakar Karekar prefaced his
> Gavati with the remark that he had been taught the raga under the name
> Bhim ("aamhaalaa haa raag bheem mhaNuun shikavalaa, aataa aamhii to
> gaavatii mhaNuun gaato").
>
> Warm regards,
> Abhay

Abhay Phadnis

Dec 2, 2004, 10:09:11 PM12/2/04

Warren Senders

naniwadekar

Dec 2, 2004, 7:56:21 PM12/2/04

"Warren Senders" <war...@aol.com> wrote -

> Hindoli, IIRC, is sometimes known as Hindolika.

I am not aware of Hindoli being referred to as Hindolika.
Perhaps you are thinking of 'Hindolita'? Bhimsen had set
his Todi 45 rpm cheez 'ai ri mai aaj shubh-mangal gaao'
in a totally different (and new?) raag and he used to sing it
a lot in late '80s. I have read that raag being called Hindolita
(Hindol + Lalit) in a newspaper concert review, presumably
after getting the name from Bhimsen himself.

- dn

Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Dec 3, 2004, 10:15:30 AM12/3/04
MAUSAM <mau...@cs.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.58L.0...@gerhilde.cs.washington.edu>...

> I have heard Yashwant Bua remark once (when farmaished for Bheem) ki
> "instrumental wale use Gavati bolte hain" or something like that.
>
> Warren, is there any recording of Bheem with komal gandhar in taar saptak?
>
> Mausam

At least one, a flute-violin duet between Ronu Majumdar and Sangeeta Shankar.

Sanjeev

A Pavan

Dec 3, 2004, 4:25:08 PM12/3/04
sanj...@aol.com (Sanjeev Ramabhadran) wrote in message news:<5ed58637.04120...@posting.google.com>...

Ronu also has a solo recording of Bheem with Sukhwinder Namadhari on
the Tabla.

Veena Sahasrabuddhe has a nice recording of Bheem on the "Bandish"
Double Album (Vol 1 of 2).

Not sure about the komal G bit - will have to listen to them again.

Pavan

Warren Senders

Dec 3, 2004, 5:03:31 PM12/3/04
MAUSAM <mau...@cs.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<Pine.LNX.4.58L.0...@gerhilde.cs.washington.edu>...

> I have heard Yashwant Bua remark once (when farmaished for Bheem) ki
> "instrumental wale use Gavati bolte hain" or something like that.
>
> Warren, is there any recording of Bheem with komal gandhar in taar saptak?
>
> Mausam

I have recordings in my collection of Khadim Hussain Khan
at T. D. Janorikar singing the raag, which in both cases is
Romanized as "Bhim," BTW. The Janorikar is a commercial
tape. I would have to listen to confirm the use of the tar saptak
komal gandhar...and I will, but not right now.

WS