Swati Tirunal's Hindustani compositions

Rajan P. Parrikar

May 25, 2003, 4:12:01 PM5/25/03
This file was made available by Dr. Arun Gupta. I think
Jitendra Abhisheki and K.G. Ginde have worked on/recorded
some (or all?) of these compositions.

http://www.parrikar.org/misc/Swati_Tirunal_01.pdf

Warm regards,

Nayakan

May 26, 2003, 12:57:52 PM5/26/03
Rajan P. Parrikar <mylas...@yaaaahoo.com> wrote in message news:<bar82...@drn.newsguy.com>...

Interesting. Some of ST's Hindi compositions are widely
prevalent in Carnatic music; yet they are listed with
different ragas here. For example, "vishvEshvara darshana"
is always sung in raga sindhubhairavI in Carnatic music,
and has been for years, but this lists it as being in
Dhanyasi. This is a bit puzzling.

Kumar

shalak

May 26, 2003, 5:02:55 PM5/26/03
The raga listed in the book is dhanAsarI - not dhanyAsi.

Nayakan

May 26, 2003, 5:24:22 PM5/26/03
I went back and checked again ... it seems to be
dhanyAshI (with sh instead of s as is usually
used), not dhanAshRI. You might want to
look again and confirm. Either way, my point
stands. The rAga used in Carnatic music concerts
is consistently sindhubhairavI, not either of these.

BTW, thinking of dhanAshRI, the book does not
contain another popular composition of ST,
which is often sung in Carnatic concerts...
the tillAnA, "dhIm ta dhuniku taka dhIm, ta
dhuniku taka dhIm, nAca rahE gOri", a very
common 'tukDA' in Carnatic concerts. (at
least I didn't see it in the document in
my first reading of it ... I was looking for
it.)

Regards,

Kumar

Itu Chaudhuri

May 28, 2003, 10:01:11 AM5/28/03
sku...@crsim.utah.edu (Nayakan) wrote

For example, "vishvEshvara darshana"
> is always sung in raga sindhubhairavI in Carnatic music,
> and has been for years,

Yes, it is a beauty, too, a personal favourite. Do you have the
sahitya and can someone post a recording? Or point to a good published
rendering?

Itu

shalak

May 28, 2003, 6:30:10 PM5/28/03
vishvEshvara darshana. rAgA: dhanAshrI/bhairavi (hindustAni).
ChautAl/rUpaka tALA.

P: vishvEshvara darsan kar calO man tum kAsI
A: vishvEshvara darsan jab kInhO bahu prEma sahita
kATE karuNa nidhAna janan maraNa fAsI
C1: cahati jinkE purI mO gangA paya kE samAn vAkE taT ghAt ghAt bhar rahE
sanyAsI
2: bhasma anga bhuja trishUl ur mE lasE nAg mAl girijA ardhang dharE
tribhuvan jin dAsI
3: padmanAbha kamala nayana trinayana shambhu mahEsh bhajlE ina dO
svarUpa rahiyE avinAshI

Shree

May 29, 2003, 4:21:50 AM5/29/03
shalak <sha...@porchlight.ca> wrote in message news:<3ED53871...@porchlight.ca>...

> vishvEshvara darshana. rAgA: dhanAshrI/bhairavi (hindustAni).
> ChautAl/rUpaka tALA.
>
> P: vishvEshvara darsan kar calO man tum kAsI
> A: vishvEshvara darsan jab kInhO bahu prEma sahita
> kATE karuNa nidhAna janan maraNa fAsI
> C1: cahati jinkE purI mO gangA paya kE samAn vAkE taT ghAt ghAt bhar rahE
> sanyAsI
> 2: bhasma anga bhuja trishUl ur mE lasE nAg mAl girijA ardhang dharE
> tribhuvan jin dAsI
> 3: padmanAbha kamala nayana trinayana shambhu mahEsh bhajlE ina dO
> svarUpa rahiyE avinAshI

I have never come across any references to Shiva as padmanaabha (and
also, kamala nayana, though that can be used to describe to anyone's
eyes).

Could anyone please explain?

--Shree

Abhay Phadnis

May 29, 2003, 6:02:11 AM5/29/03
"Shree" <maz...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> shalak <sha...@porchlight.ca> wrote in message
(snip)

> > 3: padmanAbha kamala nayana trinayana shambhu mahEsh bhajlE ina dO
> > svarUpa rahiyE avinAshI
> >

> I have never come across any references to Shiva as padmanaabha (and
> also, kamala nayana, though that can be used to describe to anyone's
> eyes).
>
> Could anyone please explain?
>
> --Shree

'padmanaabha' was Swati Tirunal's colophon.

Warm regards,
Abhay

Rajan P. Parrikar

May 29, 2003, 10:59:51 AM5/29/03

Dr. Gupta sends the following rejoinder.

- Begin Quote -

Dr. N.E.V. Aiyar wrote in his book :

The only complete and available edition of these songs is in
Malayalam script. Though Sri Chidambara Vadhyar has taken
much pains to edit the book, the text has been badly misspelt.
Some years back, Sri N. Venkiteswara Sarma of Trippunithura
had published the collection in Nagari script in a quarterly,
Nagari Pracharini Patrika. My attempt has been to do justice
to the text of these songs. ...The headings and other musical
names have been given in consultation with Vidvan K. Narayanan
(Gana bhushana) who has been writing a good number of learned
articles in Hindi about music in the south and the north.

I gratefully acknowledge the help I got from the following
books and articles :

1. Musical compositions of Swati Tirunal (Malayalam)
by Sri K Chidambara Vadhyar
Printed at Govt Press, Trivandrum, 1916

2. Swati Tirunal (Tamil Translation)
by Sri Suranad Kunjan Pillai
Translated by P.S. Narayanaswami
Published by Travancore University

3. The Maratha Rajas of Tanjore
by Sri K. R. Subramoniam M.A.
published by author from Madras, 1928

4. Balamritam
by Ranga Bhagavathar
published in 1917

5. Articles
by Sri K. Venkitasubramonia Aiyar
in the Journal of the Madras Music Academy

-End Quote -

Warm regards,

Narayanan

May 29, 2003, 10:20:54 PM5/29/03

"Abhay Phadnis" <aphadnis...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And he also used Jalajanabha as his mudra. The Kamboji
ata tala varnam is attributed to Swati Thirunal by many. I
seem remember, my Varnam book by Panchapakaesa Iyer
attributes it to Vadivelu.

N-

Arun Gupta

May 29, 2003, 10:25:07 PM5/29/03
> 3: padmanAbha kamala nayana trinayana shambhu mahEsh bhajlE ina dO
> svarUpa rahiyE avinAshI
> >
> > I have never come across any references to Shiva as padmanaabha (and
> > also, kamala nayana, though that can be used to describe to anyone's
> > eyes).
> >
> > Could anyone please explain?

The line means : Lotus-eyed Padmanabha and three-eyed Shiva - sing bhajans to
these two [bhajiye in do ] eternal forms.

-Arun Gupta

Arun Gupta

May 31, 2003, 11:44:11 AM5/31/03
--- Cross post from INDOLOGY group --

There's also another scholarly view about Swathi Tirunal's
compositions. Chemmangudi Srinivaiyar, employed by Trivandrum royalty
and visiting from Madras, was popularising about Swati Tirunal's
compositions in many languages of India. The Maharaja died
when he was in his early 30s. But S. Venkitasubramonia
Iyer, with all his native roots in Trivandrum, Kerala,
published in his PhD thesis that many of the attributions
are really works of other music composers visiting the royal court.
Sri. Venkitasubramonia Iyer talks about the contributions
by Tanjore Quartet. The Tanjore Quartet (Thanjai Naalvar)
are Ponnaiyah, Vadivelu, Kittappa, Sivanandam Pillais,
traditional musician Othuvaar family originally from Tirunelveli.
Vadivelu played an important role in making the violin
a Carnatic music instrument, and it's the 4 brothers
who set the paddhati of present day Bharatanaatyam recitals.
Tanjore Quartet was close to Muttusaamy Diikshitar family also.

The Kerala musicologist, Venkitasubramonia Iyer's nephew
was my classmate (Chidambaram Subramanian, now at Washington, D.C.,).
And, I recall him telling how his uncle
waited until Chemmangudi, after a few years, left & then
published his findings. Probably all this in Venkitasubramonia
Iyer's PhD dissertation. Pl. also check
Venkitasubramonia Iyer, S., Swati Tirunal and his music.
College book house, 1975, Trivandrum.

---

In India, oftentimes we hear about works attributed to rulers.
A tamil example from literature is Tempavani. Supposed to
be written by Beschi, a Jesuit priest from Italy of the
17th century. M. Arunachalam, who the most descriptive
History of tamil literature till date and a prof. of Saiva
Siddhanta at Benaras Hindu university, has written many
articles in 1960s-70s in The Hindu, and in books, that
Supradeepa Kaviraayar is the real author of the Christian epic.
While, Viiramaamuni(Beschi) might have given the story
and told in prose, to compose 3000+ tamil verses
(that has intricate prAsam (same second syllable in each viruttam
verse) is not easy. We don't know anyone who has done
it ever since. It's noteworthy that Beschi himself didn't publish
Tempavani, it was done by Sir Walter Elliott (author
of Coins of Tinnevelly, & we have "Elliot marbles"
at the British museum taken from South India).

Regards,
N. Ganesan

Ramakrishnan G

Jun 10, 2003, 10:04:09 AM6/10/03

"Narayanan" <tiger_va...@yahoo.com.spamnot> wrote in message

> > 'padmanaabha' was Swati Tirunal's colophon.
>
> And he also used Jalajanabha as his mudra.

Not just Jalajanabha. Also, Sarojanabha ( gopalaka -- revagupti) ,
Pankajanabha ( here I cant think of a kriti of the top of my head).

> The Kamboji
> ata tala varnam is attributed to Swati Thirunal by many. I
> seem remember, my Varnam book by Panchapakaesa Iyer
> attributes it to Vadivelu.

But its still under dispute, isnt it?

> N-

Ganesh Sriram

Jun 10, 2003, 3:06:47 PM6/10/03
"Ramakrishnan G" <gra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<bc4ogr$fhbnl$1...@ID-188547.news.dfncis.de>...

> "Narayanan" <tiger_va...@yahoo.com.spamnot> wrote in message
> >

> > > 'padmanaabha' was Swati Tirunal's colophon.
> >
> > And he also used Jalajanabha as his mudra.
>
> Not just Jalajanabha. Also, Sarojanabha ( gopalaka -- revagupti) ,
> Pankajanabha ( here I cant think of a kriti of the top of my head).

For pankajanAbha, there is the kRti that starts 'pankajanAbha' in
kalyANi. He also used vArijanAbha (rAma rAma guNasIma - simhEndra
madhyamam), sarasijanAbha (chalamEla - shankarAbharaNam) and
sArasanAbhan (kanta tava - aTHANA, malayALam padam). I also vaguely
remember a rAgamAlikA swarajati whose lyrics actually contains his
name, 'svAti nRpa'.

Ganesh.

Arun Gupta

Jun 12, 2003, 9:24:16 PM6/12/03
Swathi Thirunal web-site :

http://www.swathithirunal.org/

A work in progress, but interesting nonetheless.

V.Chandrasekaran

Jun 12, 2003, 11:15:47 PM6/12/03
A beautiful rendition of this is available at the following carnatic
website. The
rendition is by Alathur Brothers.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dsivakumar/music/intromus_toc.htm

Select "Music Categories" -> "Carnatic Vocal" -> Alathur Brothers from
Artists-wise alphabetical sorting. The krithi is available in the
subsequent page.

-chandra.

V.Chandrasekaran

Jun 13, 2003, 11:00:02 PM6/13/03
Is this file still available for download? Please let me know. Can't access it
at this time.

Thanks,
chandra.

Hari Kumar

Jun 14, 2003, 12:01:55 PM6/14/03
I found this web site pretty informative:
http://www.geocities.com/promiserani2/

It has lyrics and notations for a lot of kritis including those by
Swathi thirunal. I believe "Vishweshwar darshan" was originally
composed in raga dhanashri but the late DR. MLV tuned it in
Sindhubhairavi. RPG has a recording by MLV in the "Legends" series.

regards,
Hari

Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan

Jun 16, 2003, 9:57:28 PM6/16/03

A new website http://www.swathithirunal.org has the life and works of
Maharaja Swathi Thirunal in great detail.

--
Ramakrishnan

--
--... ...--
Ramakrishnan

Narayanan

Jun 19, 2003, 7:59:10 PM6/19/03

"Ramakrishnan G" <gra...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Not that I know. AFAIK, this one varnam has always been
attributed to Vadivelu. I vaguely remember this varnam being
attributed to Vadivelu even in Prof. Sambamoorthy's book.
Only in some of the websites, I came across this attribution to
Swati Thirunal. This is not the same debate Balachandar kicked
off by claiming Swati Thurinal himself was a bogus.

N-

Lakshman Ragde

Sep 9, 2017, 5:22:38 PM9/9/17
This thread is quite old. However, I managed to obtain a copy of the hindustani compositiuons of Svati Tirunal, in Hindi, with notations a couple of years back. A few pages are missing but many notations are available. If anyone is interested please contact me. Thanks.

ajit...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2019, 5:57:58 AM7/25/19
If you have the notation of Hindustani compositions of maharaja Swati Tirunal please send me a PDF to ajit...@gmail.com

ajit...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2019, 6:03:30 AM7/25/19

> I have never come across any references to Shiva as padmanaabha (and
> also, kamala nayana, though that can be used to describe to anyone's
> eyes).

Meanng is :

Padmanabha with kamalanayana(Eyes like lotus) and SIva with Trinetra(Three eye)the both are same and those who is the reason to get moksha or the avinash stage

Tanmay Joshi

Mar 20, 2022, 10:02:26 AM3/20/22
On Sunday, September 10, 2017 at 2:52:38 AM UTC+5:30, luzchurch wrote:
> This thread is quite old. However, I managed to obtain a copy of the hindustani compositiuons of Svati Tirunal, in Hindi, with notations a couple of years back. A few pages are missing but many notations are available. If anyone is interested please contact me. Thanks.

@luzchurch
Please share the document to tanmayj...@gmail.com
Thank you.

luzchurch

Mar 24, 2022, 4:28:17 PM3/24/22

Kuldeep More

Mar 25, 2022, 6:43:29 AM3/25/22
Thanl you very much @luzchurch

Ajith Kumar A

Dec 6, 2022, 12:21:34 AM12/6/22
He refers Padmanabha as with Kamalanayana-eyes like lotus and Shambhu asa Trinayana-with Three eyes and says that you Bhaja/meditate on both as a single deity or SankaraNarayana