Thiygaraja - Maru Balka

Bhuvana Ramachandran

Nov 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/13/99
Can anybody give me the lyrics for Maru Balka and its meaning

thanks in advance

RMPD

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
Pallavi:
MaaruBalka KunnaVemira? Ma MaNoRamana!
Anupallavi:
Jara Chora Bhajana ChesiTina? SaKetha Vadana!
Charanam:
dooraBharaMandu Naa HridaYaraVindaMandu, NelakoNNa
dariNerigi SanThaSilliNatti- TyaGaraJaNuTha!

I think that is it!
rama bommaraju

sha...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
You sound like a Telugu-speaking person. So it indeed comes as a
surprise that in the Anupallavi you say "Saketa Vadana". Saketa means
Ayodhya and Vadana is Face. How can Rama be described as one who has the
Face of Ayodhya?!!! The right words are "Saketa Sadana".

Shanti R

In article <80ls2m$rva$1...@nntp2.atl.mindspring.net>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RMPD

Nov 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/14/99
You are right! It is Saketha Sadana! Sorry for the goof!

Kommu Srinivas

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99
And I believe the first line should be split as

maarubalka kunnaavEmi - ramaa manOramaNa

The 'ra' should go with the 'ramaa manOramaNa', meaning the husband
of Lakshmi. The original request
was for the meaning also. I could not really get the meaning of the
charaNam but here are the pallavi and anupallavi:

"why don't you reply, raama?"
"Did I (all along) worship a thief and vyabhichaari?" (referring to
Lord Krishna)

If the first word in the charaNam is "durbharamandu", then tyagaraja
is quite surprised at Rama finding his way into his "unbearable"
heart.

any corrections?
srinivas

ramapr...@my-deja.com

Nov 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/16/99

"mA " also infers Lakshmi - So mA manO ramaNa is Vishnu again !

Ramaprasad K V

In article <80sbdo$ep5$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Eswar Josyula

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99

Kommu Srinivas wrote:

> And I believe the first line should be split as
>
> maarubalka kunnaavEmi - ramaa manOramaNa
>
> The 'ra' should go with the 'ramaa manOramaNa', meaning the husband
> of Lakshmi. The original request
> was for the meaning also. I could not really get the meaning of the
> charaNam but here are the pallavi and anupallavi:
>
> "why don't you reply, raama?"
> "Did I (all along) worship a thief and vyabhichaari?" (referring to
> Lord Krishna)

I took "jaara chOra bhajana chesitina" as, "did I worship dishonest
people?" suggesting that, "did I worship dishonest people for material
gains? I want you and none else."

> If the first word in the charaNam is "durbharamandu", then tyagaraja
> is quite surprised at Rama finding his way into his "unbearable"
> heart.

Charanam: doora bharamandu - from far, naahridayavindamandu - in the
lotus of my heartyou are always in the lotus of my heart wherever you
are. I now know the way, Thyagaraja is pleased at this.

Nagendra

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
"RMPD" <ramabommaraju_nospam_sprynet.com> wrote:
> Pallavi:
> MaaruBalka KunnaVemira? Ma MaNoRamana!
> Anupallavi:
> Jara Chora Bhajana ChesiTina? SaKetha Vadana!
> Charanam:
> dooraBharaMandu Naa HridaYaraVindaMandu, NelakoNNa
> dariNerigi SanThaSilliNatti- TyaGaraJaNuTha!
>
> I think that is it!
> rama bommaraju

It is a good idea to follow the "standard
transliteration scheme" when giving the lyrics
of any krithi. It helps in pronouncing words
correctly and (possibly) identify the right
bhAva behind the krithi.

Here is the lyric in the transliteration scheme.

pallavi :
mAru balka kunnAvEmirA ? mA manOramaNa

anupallavi:
jAra chOra bhajana chEsitinA ? sAkEta sadana !

charaNam :
dUrabhAramandu nA hridayAravindamandu nelakonna
dArinerigi santasillinatti tyAgarAjanuta !

I've assumed here that it is "mA manOramaNa"
and not "ramA manOramaNa". I'm not sure whether
I'm right.

Please look into the Carnatic Music Home Page
for more on the standard transliteration scheme.

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~sundar/carnatic/

The discussions on the correct bhAva of the
krithi are interesting.

Regards,
Nagendra

Savithri Machiraju

Nov 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/21/99

Nagendra wrote in message <8108v2$7c8$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...
I don't know if the person who initially posed the question knows Telugu or
not, but I am baffled by the amount of speculation on the meaning of this
fairly simple (language wise) song. Assuming it is because of lack of
familiarity with Telugu, here goes:

>pallavi :
>mAru balka kunnAvEmirA ?

Why don't you respond to me (when I call you)?

And yes, the "rA" does belong at the end of this phrase, not the beginning
of the next one; it indicates that the singer is addressing rAmA in a very
familiar, intimate way. (I will have to look up in a grammar book to give
you all the details of case endings, etc., but I doubt if anyone really
wants them).

mA manOramaNa

You, who charm my heart

>anupallavi:
>jAra chOra bhajana chEsitinA ?

After all, have I been a follower of cheats and liars? [i.e., I have not]

sAkEta sadana !

You, who live in Ayodhya

repeat pallavi

(so) why don't you respond to me?

>charaNam :
>dUrabhAramandu nA hridayAravindamandu nelakonna
>dArinerigi santasillinatti tyAgarAjanuta !

Though I am far from you (literally, "at a great distance from you"), I am
content to follow your path which is in my heart (literally, the "lotus of
my heart")

repeat pallavi

(so) why don't you respond to me?

Hope that helps.

Savithri Machiraju

tmadan...@gmail.com

Jul 25, 2020, 8:46:30 AM7/25/20
On Saturday, November 13, 1999 at 1:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Bhuvana Ramachandran wrote:
> Can anybody give me the lyrics for Maru Balka and its meaning
>
> thanks in advance

Pallavi:
mārubalka kunna- vēmirā mā manōramaṇa

Anupallavi:
jāracōra bhajana jēsitinā sākēta sadana

Charanam:
dūra bhāramandu nā hṛdayāravindam
andu nelakonna
dAri nerigi santasilli naTTi ...
tyAgarAjanuta aaaa rajanutaaaaaaa .......

Meaning:
One who adorns the heart of Sita! Why should you not condescend to give me a reply to my persistent appeal? O Lord of Ayodhya! Tell me if I have not been meditating on you, worshiping you and praying to you only. Have I sung praises of rich unworthy men? I have realized that you are everywhere just as you are in my heart. The path is now clear to me and I shall follow it gladly. A gentle word from you will however buttress my faith in you and in the path I propose to follow unwaveringly.