Raag Dhaani

Niranjan Kale

Apr 28, 1992, 1:13:12 AM4/28/92
I have a question for "Rasik" netters. I listened to a khyal in Raag Dhaani
by Laxmi Shankar a few days ago. I found it to have a strong resemblence to
"BhimPalasi" in some parts and to "MalKaunsa" in some parts (Specially a
recurring use of Ni_ Sa Ga_ Ma Ga_ Sa Ni_ Ga_ Sa.) The part that resembled
"BhimPalasi" was "Sa Ga_ Ma Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ni_ Sa Ni_ Pa Ma_ Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ma Ga_
Re Sa".

I found the Raag very sweet and melodious and Laxmi Shankar's rendition was
exquisite. Can some knowledgeble netter (Mr. Rajan Parrikar, I hope you would
come through) explain the Aaroha, Avaroha and Pakad of Dhaani? Also some
info on Laxmi Shankar would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Niranjan

Krishna Kunchithapadam

Apr 29, 1992, 12:03:59 PM4/29/92
In his article ni...@persoft.com (Niranjan Kale) writes:

>I have a question for "Rasik" netters. I listened to a khyal in Raag Dhaani
>by Laxmi Shankar a few days ago. I found it to have a strong resemblence to
>"BhimPalasi" in some parts and to "MalKaunsa" in some parts (Specially a
>recurring use of Ni_ Sa Ga_ Ma Ga_ Sa Ni_ Ga_ Sa.) The part that resembled
>"BhimPalasi" was "Sa Ga_ Ma Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ni_ Sa Ni_ Pa Ma_ Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ma Ga_
>Re Sa".
>
>-Niranjan

I am not very familiar with the Hindusthani system of music, but
I believe raga Dhani was one of the ragas in the Music Today
(Dawn to Dusk) series. There is a 15+ piece by Shaheed Parvez on
the sitar in this raga.

To my ear, it sounded very very much like the Carnatic raga -
Sudha Dhanyasi. The name Dhani also suggests a resemblance to
the Carnatic scale. Sudha Dhanyasi is a janya of Kharaharapriya,
this would translate to the Kafi That in Hindusthani music.

Sudha Dhanyasi has a pentatonic scale. I was able to discern many
of the ranjaka prayogas of Sudha Dhanyasi in the piece in raga
Dhani. Except for a certain peculiar prayoga, the scale of Dhani
also seemed to be pentatonic and coincide exactly with that of
Sudha Dhanyasi.

The scale as reckoned in Carnatic music is:

s g2 m1 p n2 S S n2 p m1 g2 s

I am using the Carnatic notation for the notes. In Hindusthani
nomenclature, this would be, Shadja, Komal Gandhara, Sudha
Madhyama, Panchama, Komal Nishada.

I might also be able to give an explanation for the resemblance
of Dhani to Bhimplasi and Malkauns from a Carnatic view point.

Raga Bhimplasi is considered a close counter-part of the Carnatic
raga Abheri. The Arohana of Abheri is exactly that of Sudha
Dhanyasi. This could account for the resemblance in the phrases
that use only the 5 notes of the scale of Dhani. Abheri also uses
the Dhaivata notes, but in prayogas where the Dhaivata is absent,
there does exist a strong resemblance to Sudha Dhanyasi.

Raga Malkauns is considered an almost exact equivalent of raga
Hindolam of Carnatic music. Sudha Dhanyasi and Hindolam differ in
exactly one note -- the former has a Panchama and is Dhaivata
varja while the situation is reversed for Hindolam. Another
interesting relationship between these two ragas is that
Grahabedham on one will give the other. If the Madhyama of
Hindolam is chosen as the tonic note, the scale of Sudha Dhanyasi
would result.

I am not sure of the above naive interpretation of the
similarities between Dhani and Sudha Dhanyasi are valid. I
request further postings on this topic. Could someone also
confirm if Dhani and Sudha Dhanyasi are indeed counterparts (to
at least a first approximation);

-- Krishna

| Krishna Kunchithapadam kri...@cham.cs.wisc.edu |
| Department of Computer Sciences |
| University of Wisconsin, Madison |

Rajan Parrikar

Apr 29, 1992, 12:26:31 PM4/29/92
In article <1992Apr28.0...@persoft.com> ni...@persoft.com (Niranjan Kale) writes:
>I have a question for "Rasik" netters. I listened to a khyal in Raag Dhaani
>by Laxmi Shankar a few days ago. I found it to have a strong resemblence to
>"BhimPalasi" in some parts and to "MalKaunsa" in some parts (Specially a
>recurring use of Ni_ Sa Ga_ Ma Ga_ Sa Ni_ Ga_ Sa.) The part that resembled
>"BhimPalasi" was "Sa Ga_ Ma Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ni_ Sa Ni_ Pa Ma_ Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ma Ga_
>Re Sa".

Yes, Raga Dhaani is very close to Bhimpalasi, the only major difference
being the ommision of dhaivat in the former.

Aroha: n' S g M P n S"
Avaroha: S" n P M g M g R S
Vaadi: g Samvaadi: n
Pakkad: P n S" n P g M g R S
Notice that inclusion of D in the Aroha yields Bhimpalasi.

>I found the Raag very sweet and melodious and Laxmi Shankar's rendition was

The only 'light' music composition in Raga Dhaani I've come across is
a Marathi natyageet composed by Pandit Jitendra Abhiseki and rendered
by Pt. Vasantrao Deshpande - Ghheyi chand makarand, priya ha milind... in
Teentaal.
(Note: Abhiseki has composed and sung the same song in Raga Salagvarali
....in Jhaptaal..).
Both the versions are beautiful .... Abhiseki is a great composer...

>come through) explain the Aaroha, Avaroha and Pakad of Dhaani? Also some
>info on Laxmi Shankar would be greatly appreciated.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very accomplished singer...Sister-in-law of Ravi Shankar..

Rajan Parrikar
==============
email: parr...@mimicad.colorado.edu

Jay Naik

Apr 30, 1992, 12:43:28 AM4/30/92

ni...@persoft.com (Niranjan Kale) :
>..........................Aaroha, Avaroha and Pakad of Dhaani? Also some

>info on Laxmi Shankar would be greatly appreciated.

"The magic of her magnificent voice, her sense of proportion
and the emotional content of her singing are only some of the qualities
that have made Lakshmi Shankar one of the foremost and popular vocalists
of India". She was born in Jamshedpur in 1926, and her family was from
Tamilnadu. She became an accomplished Bharatanaatya dancer at an early
age and joined UdayShankar's troupe in 1940. During this time, she
came to know the great Allauddin Khan, Ali Akbar Khan and Ravi Shankar,
and went on to become an acclaimed dancer and occasionally sang for
films. Pleurisy forced her to abandon her dancing career and she started
formal training in Hindustani music under Ustad Abdul Rehman Khan (of
Patiala gharaana) in 1954 and later studied under Prof. Deodhar(a student
of Vishnu Digambar), and quickly rose to fame. Then she continued under
the aegis of RaviShankar (she married his brother, RajendraShankar) and
her musical association with RaviS. has expanded her musical horizon. She
sang in "Gandhi", for which RS scored the music. The richness of her voice,
precision of expression and refinement in ornamentation have captivated
millions.

[Sources: from "Hamaare Sangeet Rathne" and liner notes from her CD's]

Some of my favorites: Her khyaal in Hamsadhwani, "aaj more ghar aay",
Thumris, "shyaam bina nahin chaen", "raina bina mohe shayaam" in piloo,
Bhajans, "maati kahe kumhaar se", "ab ke maadhav mohi udhaar" (reminds
me of Vividh Bharati!) and that soul-stirring rendition of "vaishnava
jana to" in "Gandhi".
Her Sanskrit diction is perhaps the best among all the vocalists.
Two of her Sanskrit renditions that I often listen to: Jugalapriya's
"jaya jayati jaya raghuvamshabhooshaNa raama raajeevalochanam" in
hamsadhwani-roopak taal and Jayadeva's "ehi muraare kunja vihaare ehi
praNatajana bandho" - this one is from an excellent LP produced and
arranged by L. Subramaniam, in which he blends Indian instruments
(tabla,dholak,khol-Zakir H., sitar-Shubho Shankar, violin-L. Subramaniam)
and Western one's (guitar, bass, Emil Richards on percussion, Marimba).
I have had the pleasure of attending one of Lakshmi Shankar's private
concerts in NYC a year ago; she is a very unassuming lady!

------------------------------
Jayant Naik

new user

May 1, 1992, 5:59:06 PM5/1/92
In article <1992Apr30.0...@nynexst.com>, na...@nynexst.com (Jay Naik) writes:

|> ni...@persoft.com (Niranjan Kale) :
|> >..........................Aaroha, Avaroha and Pakad of Dhaani? Also some
|> >info on Laxmi Shankar would be greatly appreciated.
|>

|> Her Sanskrit diction is perhaps the best among all the vocalists.
|> Two of her Sanskrit renditions that I often listen to: Jugalapriya's
|> "jaya jayati jaya raghuvamshabhooshaNa raama raajeevalochanam" in
|> hamsadhwani-roopak taal and Jayadeva's "ehi muraare kunja vihaare ehi
|> praNatajana bandho" - this one is from an excellent LP produced and
|> arranged by L. Subramaniam, in which he blends Indian instruments
|> (tabla,dholak,khol-Zakir H., sitar-Shubho Shankar, violin-L. Subramaniam)
|> and Western one's (guitar, bass, Emil Richards on percussion, Marimba).
|> I have had the pleasure of attending one of Lakshmi Shankar's private
|> concerts in NYC a year ago; she is a very unassuming lady!
|>
|> ------------------------------
|> Jayant Naik

BTW, L.Subramaniam is Lakshmi Shankar's son-in-law !

Jagadisan Shivakumar

RAVI GUDI

May 3, 1992, 7:52:50 PM5/3/92
In article <1992Apr29....@colorado.edu>, parr...@csn.org (Rajan Parrikar) writes:
>In article <1992Apr28.0...@persoft.com> ni...@persoft.com (Niranjan Kale) writes:
>>I have a question for "Rasik" netters. I listened to a khyal in Raag Dhaani
>>by Laxmi Shankar a few days ago. I found it to have a strong resemblence to
>>"BhimPalasi" in some parts and to "MalKaunsa" in some parts (Specially a
>>recurring use of Ni_ Sa Ga_ Ma Ga_ Sa Ni_ Ga_ Sa.) The part that resembled
>>"BhimPalasi" was "Sa Ga_ Ma Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ni_ Sa Ni_ Pa Ma_ Pa Ga_ Ma Pa Ma Ga_
>>Re Sa".
>
>Yes, Raga Dhaani is very close to Bhimpalasi, the only major difference
>being the ommision of dhaivat in the former.
>
>Aroha: n' S g M P n S"
>Avaroha: S" n P M g M g R S
>Vaadi: g Samvaadi: n
>Pakkad: P n S" n P g M g R S
>Notice that inclusion of D in the Aroha yields Bhimpalasi.
>

>>I found the Raag very sweet and melodious and Laxmi Shankar's rendition was
>
>The only 'light' music composition in Raga Dhaani I've come across is
>a Marathi natyageet composed by Pandit Jitendra Abhiseki and rendered
>by Pt. Vasantrao Deshpande - Ghheyi chand makarand, priya ha milind... in
>Teentaal.
>(Note: Abhiseki has composed and sung the same song in Raga Salagvarali
>....in Jhaptaal..).
>Both the versions are beautiful .... Abhiseki is a great composer...

Isn't the song "Goree Tera Gaon Bada Pyaara" by Yesudas
from film Chitchor also in Raag Dhani ?

Ravi Gudi

>>come through) explain the Aaroha, Avaroha and Pakad of Dhaani? Also some
>>info on Laxmi Shankar would be greatly appreciated.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Very accomplished singer...Sister-in-law of Ravi Shankar..
>
>Rajan Parrikar
>==============
>email: parr...@mimicad.colorado.edu

Ravi Gudi

Rajan Parrikar

May 14, 1992, 10:51:08 PM5/14/92

***discussion on Raga Dhaani deleted*****

>Isn't the song "Goree Tera Gaon Bada Pyaara" by Yesudas
>from film Chitchor also in Raag Dhani ?
>
>Ravi Gudi

Yessssss!!!! It does have a base in Raga Dhaani. Thanks for pointing
it out.

Rajan
=====

vithalc...@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2016, 1:18:44 PM7/29/16
There another variety of Dhani in folk music especially in the North-Eastern folk melodies which makes use of the haunting lyrical pentatonic notes in a characteristically tremulous way. I will try and provide links to this Kaushik dhani mode as seen in the music of Bhupen Hazarika and other stalwarts:
Another striking Dhani in the film music of the north is in Prabhu tero naam song by Lataji in the movie Hum Dono

Mahendra Paralkar

Jul 28, 2019, 2:46:00 AM7/28/19
The Marathi abhang penned by Sant Gora Kumbhar "Nirgunacha sang, dharila jo avadi" is also based on Raaga Dhani and so is the number from the Marathi film, Suvasini - "Yenaar naath ata"

Mahendra Paralkar
9820982052

ChristianAMR

Feb 2, 2023, 2:25:34 PM2/2/23