mat kalyan

nilanjan

Mar 5, 2003, 7:14:41 PM3/5/03
Need some info on MatKalyan or NatKalyan ?
Ever heard of it ?

I heard it is something like SRGPDnS ?? any ideas ?

Sajjad Khaliq

Mar 6, 2003, 4:05:59 PM3/6/03
nilanjan (nilanja...@hotmail.com) wrote:

: Need some info on MatKalyan or NatKalyan ?

: Ever heard of it ?

The late Ustad's Nazakat and Salamat Ali Khan used to sing Madh
Kalayan.

Bosma

Mar 8, 2003, 3:10:47 PM3/8/03
> The late Ustads Nazakat and Salamat Ali Khan used to sing Madh
> Kalayan.

I heard Salamat Ali Khan sing this raga and I had the impression it
was a self composed one or at least something only sung within his
gharana. The scale is like this:
SRGPDnS"/S"nDPGRS. On the recordings that I have the R is skipped very
often in aroha (but not always) which brings it very close to
Kalavati. The bandish sung by Salamat Ali Khan in Kalavati (lagan more
laage) is sung in Madh Kalyan as well but then with some R thrown in
once in a while. From what I hear Pa seems to be vadi.
One thing which strikes me as quite bizarre is the presence of meeds
which actually point out r and g like this: GRrS and GgRS. This does
not particularly please me in fact. It's only once or twice but it
sounds strange indeed. I have not heard or seen it described anywhere
else.

Hans Bosma
France

nilanjan

Mar 10, 2003, 3:21:16 PM3/10/03
Thanks ...
In fact Salamat Ali Khan's Son Sukhawat Ali Khan who lives in the SF
Bay area is the one who introduced me to this raga.
I was wondering if there are compositions which I could listen to or
download from anywhere...
[ I consider myself just a appreciator and I am definitely not an
expert on the technicalities of music ]

ChristianAMR

May 26, 2023, 9:37:14 AM5/26/23
Madh Kalyan - U Salamat & Sharafat Ali Khan ( tarana )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx3kV-yl3YU

Madha Kalyan at Ocean . For them , mix of Shuddhakalyan + Kalavati , sim. to Janasammohini .