Raga of Purandara Dasa Krithi

Skip to the first unread message

s...@inetinc.com

4 Aug 1997, 3:00:00 am4/8/97

I wanted to know the raga of the following purandara dasa krithi :

EE pariya sobagu Innava Devarali kaaNe
Gopi jana priya gopaalagallade......

And also the taala to which it is set.

Thanks,
Sunil

ramaprasad_k_v

4 Aug 1997, 3:00:00 am4/8/97

Since the original rAga in which Purandara dAsa sang his dEvara nAmas
is not known, any od his kritis may be sung in different rAgas ( exeptions
being his gItes)

So which version ( artist) you are listening to ? I can make a guess.

2 popualr maTTu for this dEvara nAma are in hamsAnadi ( BalamuraLi sings
in this way ) and Bilahari . Both are quite popular.

Meanwhile, if you feel that kalyANi or karna ranjni suits it better , nobody to
prevent you from singing in it :-))

And the tAla is khanda chApu or mis'ra jampe.

Ramaprasad K V

In article , s...@inetinc.com says...

Ramesh Srinivasaraghavan

4 Aug 1997, 3:00:00 am4/8/97
to s...@inetinc.com

s...@inetinc.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wanted to know the raga of the following purandara dasa krithi :
>
> EE pariya sobagu Innava Devarali kaaNe
> Gopi jana priya gopaalagallade......
>
> And also the taala to which it is set.
>
> Thanks,
> Sunil

I have heard Dr M. Balamuralikrishna render it in
Hamsanandi. I have also heard T.V.Shankaranarayanan
sing it as a Ragamalika in a concert, starting off
with methinks Saranga.

Ramesh

Geetha Sampath

4 May 2022, 3:31:56 am4/5/22
On Monday, August 4, 1997 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, ramaprasad_k_v wrote:
> Since the original rAga in which Purandara dAsa sang his dEvara nAmas
> is not known, any od his kritis may be sung in different rAgas ( exeptions
> being his gItes)
> So which version ( artist) you are listening to ? I can make a guess.
> 2 popualr maTTu for this dEvara nAma are in hamsAnadi ( BalamuraLi sings
> in this way ) and Bilahari . Both are quite popular.
> Meanwhile, if you feel that kalyANi or karna ranjni suits it better , nobody to
> prevent you from singing in it :-))
> And the tAla is khanda chApu or mis'ra jampe.
> Ramaprasad K V
> In article , s...@inetinc.com says...
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >I wanted to know the raga of the following purandara dasa krithi :
> >
> >EE pariya sobagu Innava Devarali kaaNe
> >Gopi jana priya gopaalagallade......
> >
> >And also the taala to which it is set.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Sunil

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Post to Usenet

Thanks for enlighting with raaga name. Please enlighten us with few details on How Violinist follows exact swaras & voice modulations that singer presents live .