Rag in Bengali songs

Amitabha Lahiri

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
Sometime ago somebody mooted the idea (approximately) of making a database
of Bengali songs based on various rags. All discussion on that seems to
have ceased. Would somebody capable please resurrect the discussion?

(At least it will bring some relief from unrelated discussions.)

Amitabha
--
Amitabha Lahiri MAPS University of Sussex A.La...@central.susx.ac.uk
No one else is responsible for what I say and vice versa.

arg...@math.umbc.edu

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
Well, here we go:

"PurAno sei diner kotha" (Rabindra Sangeet) : raga Bhupali (Infact it's the mixture
of raga Bhupali and some scottish ballad)

"AnandadhArA bohiche bhubone" (rabindra sangeet) : raga Malkoush

"Tribeni tirthopothe ke gAhilo gAn" (Adhunik) : have forgotton the name of the
raga.

Sambit Basu

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
mp...@central.susx.ac.uk (Amitabha Lahiri) writes:

>Sometime ago somebody mooted the idea (approximately) of making a database
>of Bengali songs based on various rags. All discussion on that seems to
>have ceased. Would somebody capable please resurrect the discussion?

>(At least it will bring some relief from unrelated discussions.)

>Amitabha

Oi osot-karjer paapi ami chhilum. Rabindrasangeet aar Adhunik-er
duto file maintain korchhi. Niche juDe dilum. Adhunik-er list-er
raag-bichar amar kora - sutorang bhul thakar sombhobona bistor.

Anyway, ami Chitrogupto-r bhumika palon korchhi. Apnara gaan
juDte thakun, ami file update kore jachchhi.

Regards,
Sambit
RABINDRASANGEET
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amar nayano bhulano eley Aleya

Ananda dhara bohichhe bhubone Malkosh
Shorge tomay niye jaabe uDiye Malkosh

Esho shyamolo shundaro Desh
Guru guru guru guru ghono megh goroje Desh
Ke dibe aaj shantona Desh

Modhuro dhwani baje hridaya kamala bono majhe Yaman

Srabanero pabane akul bi-shonno sandhya Kedara
Seemar maajhe aseem tumi Kedara
Prabhu amar priyo amar Kedara
Ke dilo abar aghat Kedara

Swapne amar mone holo -gha dile amar dare Hambir
Modhyo dine jobe gaan bondho kore pakhi Hambir

Aaji komolo mukulo dolo khulilo Bahar
Aaji basanta jagroto dware Bahar
Aaji momo mono chahe Bahar

Shei to basanta phire elo Basant Bahar

E porobashe robe ke hay Sindhu Kafi

(this last one is a bit controvertial but i heard a classical
song exactly similar to "e porobashe" on radio (in India)
which was announced to be sindhu kafi - Joyoni).

Kano cheye aachho go ma Kaafi
Kano pantho e choncholota Kaafi
Maajhe maajhe tobo dakha pai Kaafi

Shakal balay alo-y baje biday byatha-r bhoirobi Bhairavi
Charano rekha tobo je pathe gele lekhi Bhairavi
kano yamini na hote jagale na, bela holo Bhairavi
omolo dhobolo paale legechhe mondo modhuro Bhairavi
Sunil sagare shyamal kinare Bhairavi

Aaji e anondo sondhya Purvi
Asru nadi sudur paare Purvi
Nibhrito praaner debota jekhane jaagen Purvi

Olpo loiya thaki tai Chhayanat
Jotobaar aalo jwalate chai Chhayanat
Tomaari jhornatolar nirjone Chhayanat
Gaaner surer ashonkhani Chhayanat

Shedin dujone dulechhinu bone Pilu
Esho neepobone Pilu
Era por-ke aapon kore Pilu

Bipul torngo re Bhimpolosri
Amar praaner pore chole galo ke Bhimpolosri
Ere bhikhari sajaye ki rongo Bhimpolosri

Amare koro jeebon daan Shankara

Nishitho shoyone bhebe raakhi mone Bageshri
Je raate mor duaar-guli Bageshri

Baani tobo dhay ADana
Mondire momo ke ADana

Jogote anondo jNogye Sarparda

Nath he prempothe shob badha Darbaari

Contributors: Amitabha Lahiri, Joyoni Dey, Mandar Mitra, Sambarta Rakshit,
Sambit Basu.

---------------------------------------
ADHUNIK
^^^^^^^

*E to raag noy, e je obhimaan Manna Durga
*Durga dukhoharini Gyan Goswami Durga

*Poth chhaDo ogo shyam Sandhya Desh

*Jhanana jhanan baaje Dhananjay Kalavati
*Ni-sa-ga-ma-pa...ga, ga re pakhi Sandhya Kalavati
*Chholona jaani tobu paari na Ajay Kalavati

*Ki holo chNad kano Sagar Behag
*Addin-e duijon-e ghor chheDe Anup (GBFE) Behag

*Jago jago priyo rojoni pohay Akhilbondhu Bhatiyar
*E kon sokaal, raater cheye Jotileshwar Bhatiyar

*Phuler din holo je oboshaan Vismadev Jayjayanti
*Damini domoke jamini jagay Akhilbondhu Jayjayanti

*Kamon-e janabo bolo shyamarai Akhilbondhu Tilok-kamod
*Chhonde chhonde naache nondodulal Gyan Goswami Tilok-kamod

*Shyam-bihone brindabon-e Akhilbondhu Pilu

*Nobaruno raage tumi saathi Vismadev Bhairavi
*Jete jete she churi kore chay Akhilbondhu Bhairavi

*Kano meghero chhaya aaji Gyan Goswami Darbari
*Premer samadhi teere Sachindev Darbari

*Alochhaya dola Sachindev Bahar
*Bone bone papiya bole Tarapodo Chak. Bahar

*Kholo kholo mondiro dwar Tarapodo Chak. Tilang
*Ogo kajol noyona horini Hemanta Tilong

*Chanchala mouri e raat Lata Jaunpuri

*Jeona dNaDao bondhu Hemanta Kedar

Sarbari T Biswas

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
arg...@math.umbc.edu wrote:
: Well, here we go:

: "PurAno sei diner kotha" (Rabindra Sangeet) : raga Bhupali (Infact it's the mixture
: of raga Bhupali and some scottish ballad)

Yes, it's based on "Auld Lang Syne."

_/_/_/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/ Sarbari Tina Biswas
_/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ _/ sar...@eniac.seas.upenn.edu
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/_/_/ Box 18 Harrison House
_/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ 3910 Irving Street
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ Philadelphia, PA 19104-6007

Arghya Chatterjee

May 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/30/95
Two morw Nazrul geeti:

"arun kAnti ke go yogi bhikAri" - raga: Ahir bhairabi
"anjali laho more, sangeet e" - AddhA tilang

Arghya

utpal chattopadhyay

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
Arghya Chatterjee (arg...@math.umbc.edu) wrote:
: Two morw Nazrul geeti:
:
: "arun kAnti ke go yogi bhikAri" - raga: Ahir bhairabi
: "anjali laho more, sangeet e" - AddhA tilang
:
: Arghya

The first one is based on 'Ahir Bhairab' instead of 'Ahir Bhairabi'
as mentioned above. Ahir Bhairab has the following notes
Sa,Re(komol),ga,ma,pa,dha,ni(komol).

Utpal

Siddhartha Chatterjee

May 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/31/95
In article <3qg4on$b...@news.umbc.edu>, Arghya Chatterjee <arg...@math.umbc.edu> writes:
|> "arun kAnti ke go yogi bhikAri" - raga: Ahir bhairabi

Ahir Bhairav.

|> "anjali laho more, sangeet e" - AddhA tilang

Addha is a taal. The raag is Mishra Tilang, and the taal is given as addha
kawali.

--
Siddhartha Chatterjee, Assistant Professor http://www.cs.unc.edu/~sc
Department of Computer Science s...@cs.unc.edu

Arghya Chatterjee

Jun 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/1/95
I must apologize for putting the wrong info. There is no such raga like
Ahir Bhairabi. That should be Ahir Bhairav. And "Anjali laho more,
Sangeet e" should be Tilang . AddhA KAwAli is a tala.

I have collected some more. This time I have verified all the ragas.
Still, correct me if I am wrong.

RABINDRA SANGEET :

Mono jAgo Mangaloloke - Bhairav
Maha Biswe mahakAshe - Iman Kalyan
Biswa sAthe joge jethAy bihAr- Bhairabi
Jeebane jata pujA holo nA sArA - Bhairabi
HAy re ore jAi nA ki jAnA - Bhairabi
Aji ea AnandasandhyAy - Purabi
ashrunodir Sudur pAde- Purabi

NAZRUL GEETI :

eso priyo Aro kAche : Deshi tori
sandhyA godhuli lagone ke - sAon kalyan
Palash phule mou piye oi - samkara(sankarA)
chokher neshAr bhalobAsA- bAgeshri
he mAdhab, he mAdhab,.., - Bhairabi
barashA oi elo barashA - Megh malhAr
megha meduro barashAi - jay jayanti
bhubane bhubane Aji chariye geche rang- kAfi
sur-e o bANeer mAlA diye tumi - pilu
Elo oi banante pAgol Basonto - paraj basonto
ChaitAli cha(n)dnee rAte- madhu mAdhabee sAram(sarang)
Sh(m)ashane jAgiche shyAmA - Koushik
bol re jabA bol- Mishra desh
kAlo meyer pAyer talAy - Mishra Ashabaree
uchatana mana ghare rai nA- Mishra khambaj
Brojogopi khale hori - kAfee
khelicho e biswa loye- Bhairabi
nishi nijhum ghum nAhi Ase - behAg
meghabiheen khara boishakhe - Sabanta sArang
Ajo ka(n)de kAnone - Hambeer

ADHUNIK:

Tribenee tirthopothe ke gAhilo GAn- Patdeep
dAgoro nayone - Mishra Rageshree
phule phAlgune- Mixture of Basant BAhAr and BehAg
elo barasha - Mi(n)ya Malhar
kAre bA jAnAi balo- Mishra Bhairabi
pAkhi kyAno gAhe nA- Mishra Bhairabi
je AkAshe jhare bAdol- Rageshree
kAche ese bhAlobese, mono niye - BehAg
ke(n)donA kanakcha(n)pa - Mishra deshi
piyA bholo abhimAn - pilu
phAgun bujhi holo kAl re - Mishra Manda
Adhonoyone cheyo nA- mAj khAmbAj
Pronoye balo ki bA lAj priyo- Mishra pilu
BA(n)shi to tAr bAje na jete - pAhAdee(pahari)
tumi je cha(n)der joyAr- Soheeni
RAngale jAre se phAgune - Mishra hemanta
rAt jAgA deep jeno nibhe jAi- bhairabi

Most of the songs listed in the Adhunik section by Ajoy Chakraborty.

please excuse me for the bad transliteration.

Arghya

Asok Basu

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
In <3qg4on$b...@news.umbc.edu> Arghya Chatterjee <arg...@math.umbc.edu>
writes:

>Two morw Nazrul geeti:
>
>"arun kAnti ke go yogi bhikAri" - raga: Ahir bhairabi
>"anjali laho more, sangeet e" - AddhA tilang
>
>Arghya

Arghya Chatterjee wrote:
"arun kanti ke go yogi bhikhari"......
Arghyababu..ota Ahir Bhairabi noy.. ota hobay Ahir Bhairav.Bodhoy
aapnaar jaana chhilo naa Ahir Bhairabi bolay kono raag naiy.Kafi-r
saathay Bhairav milay Ahir Bhairav hoye thakay.Bhabishotye "Bhatkhander
" boi " khulay, dekhay likhben.............Ragaraagi ki korlaiy holo
?Ragaragi tay buddhir dorkaar!!!!......................RUPA.

Arghya Chatterjee

Jun 4, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/4/95
ab...@ix.netcom.com (Asok Basu) wrote:

>Arghya Chatterjee wrote:
>"arun kanti ke go yogi bhikhari"......
>Arghyababu..ota Ahir Bhairabi noy.. ota hobay Ahir Bhairav.Bodhoy
>aapnaar jaana chhilo naa Ahir Bhairabi bolay kono raag naiy.Kafi-r
>saathay Bhairav milay Ahir Bhairav hoye thakay.Bhabishotye "Bhatkhander
>" boi " khulay, dekhay likhben.............Ragaraagi ki korlaiy holo
>?Ragaragi tay buddhir dorkaar!!!!......................RUPA.

Jai hoke, june 1st e aami AmAr bhul sweekar kore ekta article post
korechilum.

Arghya Chatterjee <arg...@math.umbc.edu> wrote:
>I must apologize for putting the wrong info. There is no such raga like

>Ahir Bhairabi. That should be Ahir Bhairav. And "Anjali laho more,
>Sangeet e" should be Tilang . AddhA KAwAli is a tala.
>
>I have collected some more. This time I have verified all the ragas.
>Still, correct me if I am wrong.

H(n)a , ja bolechen--- buddhita ektu kom ee bote, AbAr rAgArAgi korAr
lobh o sAmlAte pAri nA.. :)))

Arghya

Srikanth Gopalan

Jun 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/6/95
Arghya Chatterjee (arg...@math.umbc.edu) wrote:

Could you guys at least add an explanatory note in English so the rest
of us non-Bong folks can also benefit?
-Thanks
Srikanth

michael tandy

Jun 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/9/95
In article <3r21oa$l...@magus.cs.utah.edu>, sgop...@cadesm49.eng.utah.edu (Srikanth Gopalan) says:

>Could you guys at least add an explanatory note in English so the rest
>of us non-Bong folks can also benefit?

Ditto on that one; Thanks.

But while we're at it, is there anyone who might be able to explain
the history of Bengali Padavali kirtana? Prajnananda Swami says
that it was originally designed along the lines of classical
Dhrupada (whatever that was in the sixteenth century) by Thakura
Narottamadasa. But anyone who has heard them knows that the two
don't sound even remotely similar nowadays. Any conjectures on
what might have happened?

-m

amik...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2018, 2:35:04 PM3/27/18
On Tuesday, May 30, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Amitabha Lahiri wrote:
> Sometime ago somebody mooted the idea (approximately) of making a database
> of Bengali songs based on various rags. All discussion on that seems to
> have ceased. Would somebody capable please resurrect the discussion?
>
> (At least it will bring some relief from unrelated discussions.)
>
> Amitabha
> --
> Amitabha Lahiri MAPS University of Sussex A.La...@central.susx.ac.uk
> No one else is responsible for what I say and vice versa.
> Today it's the Bengalis, tomorrow it will be you.

27 Mar 2018>. hello, Mr Lahiri et al -- wonderful discussion forum -- I would love to be a part of this forum. I see quite old discussion notes -- may be this is not all. Cheers to all of you for such a useful and praiseworthy forum. Look forward to more on this..
Kajori Banerjee, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India

b.dasg...@gmail.com

Apr 23, 2019, 6:22:17 AM4/23/19
Aajo kande kanone

swati.s...@gmail.com

Jul 3, 2019, 2:27:59 AM7/3/19
On Tuesday, May 30, 1995 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Amitabha Lahiri wrote:
> Sometime ago somebody mooted the idea (approximately) of making a database
> of Bengali songs based on various rags. All discussion on that seems to
> have ceased. Would somebody capable please resurrect the discussion?
>
> (At least it will bring some relief from unrelated discussions.)
>
> Amitabha
> --
> Amitabha Lahiri MAPS University of Sussex A.La...@central.susx.ac.uk
> No one else is responsible for what I say and vice versa.
> Today it's the Bengalis, tomorrow it will be you.

Khub upokrito holam.... amar dorkar chilo.... thank you all.

mila...@gmail.com

Apr 13, 2020, 12:09:00 AM4/13/20
Rabindrasangeet and Nazrulgeeti in raag Shankara
Can anyone suggest?

sumon...@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2020, 4:36:05 AM6/21/20
Very Nice, and I appreciate the efforts of all the contributors... 👏👏

Abhijit M

Jul 13, 2021, 5:34:26 AM7/13/21
"Aajo Kaande Kaanone" (Nazrulgeeti - Song by Kazi Nazrul Islam) is based on Raag Kamod.
Message has been deleted

Abhijit M

Jul 13, 2021, 5:42:45 AM7/13/21
I possess one book, where the name of the raga of each and every Rabindrasangeet (songs of Rabindranath Tagore) is mentioned (in Bengali language). Hope to photocopy that book and upload here some day.