Ramkali Question

Mallar

Nov 27, 2002, 5:53:18 PM11/27/02
In a re-released recording, Pt. Ravi Shankar does not use komal nishad
at all in Ramkali. Does anyone know whether this is a Maihar-specific
phenomenon? Or is it just one type of Ramkali...

Mallar

Rajan P. Parrikar

Nov 27, 2002, 10:02:13 PM11/27/02
jaim...@hotmail.com (Mallar) writes:

It manifests itself very subtly, almost as
an AbhAsa ("swara kA AbhAsa honA" - i.e. when
a swara is not explicitly intoned but an impression
of it is created). For instance, zoom in on the
region between 0:26 and 0:27 (It has been a while
since I last gave this recording a hearing. I
don't have the time right now to listen to it
again in its entirety but this is what I gathered
from the first 3 min).

http://www.sawf.prohosting.com/rajan/rs_ramkali.ram

Warm regards,

ps: The pramANa (proportion) of the n in Ramkali
varies across schools/styles).

Mallar

Dec 5, 2002, 10:17:29 PM12/5/02
I just came across some notes from AACM showing again no komal nishad.
Perhaps it's just a gharana specific thing.

Rajan P. Parrikar

Dec 5, 2002, 11:08:34 PM12/5/02
jaim...@hotmail.com (Mallar) writes:

>I just came across some notes from AACM showing again no komal nishad.
>Perhaps it's just a gharana specific thing.

Then may be they don't use it. In the clip below, I
can clearly hear an AbhAsa of n at the location cited.
I am now tempted to haul out that recording and give it
a complete hearing.

If I recall correctly, Bhatkhande has documented at least
one composition that has no komal nishAd (as in, m P d n d P).
Caution: Notation does not necessarily capture the actual
ucchAraNa. Especially in rAgas like Bhairav (and products
of Bhairav), with their Andolita r and d, the supporting
swaras may not be always indicated on paper. Recall the
gupt (hidden) komal nishAd in Bhairav, in most instances
not explicitly notated.

Bhatkhande devotes a fair amount of space to Ramkali in H-S-P;
I don't remember if he has anything specifically to say about
the Rampur version. Incidently, there is another version that
uses both the gandhArs (and I think Bhatkhande has a bandish of
that type too).

Warm regards,

Rajan P. Parrikar

Dec 11, 2002, 12:02:59 AM12/11/02
Follow-up -

I listened to the entire Ramkali recording
and but for the location I have earlier
cited, there is no komal nishAd anywhere else.
I also asked Ravi Shankar, both about the
komal nishAd in the Ramkali taught to him
and about the AbhAsa in the clip (*). He
said that Ramkali as taught by Baba Allauddin
eschewed the komal nishAd. Apropos of the
second point he said (I'm not sure he listened
to the clip) that while fading away his N he
may have given an impression of n (presumably
inadvertant).

Warm regards,

(*) now at http://www.sawf.org/audio/rs_ramkali.ram)

Mallar

Dec 11, 2002, 2:18:41 PM12/11/02
Shabash! Thanks. So there is no explicit M(tivra)PdndP. I suppose it
would follow that the incognito komal nishad in that uttarang launch
of Bhairav, Gm(shuddha) n'd, the sister/alternative of Gm N'd, doesn't
obtain in Ramkali, at least in the Maihar interpretation. I wonder
if Gm N'd itself should be avoided given it is the stamp Bhairav.
Mallar

ChristianAMR

Feb 2, 2023, 8:51:23 AM2/2/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kidRYtu7diU - Komal Ramkali by Dr. Ashok Da. Ranade .

Included in Ocean but no aroh - pakad ...

ChristianAMR

Feb 4, 2023, 10:58:35 AM2/4/23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMn2w9SeWv0 --- Pandit Shantanu Bhattacharyya - drut in Ektaal then Teental . Quite rhythmic .