Know your Gandharvas

Havanur

Jan 13, 2011, 1:01:23 AM1/13/11
A recent article on Rahimat Khan reeled off a number of Gandharva
titles, Bal, Sawai, and Kumar etc. Also mentioned were some lesser
known prakars like Nutan, Hawaii and a Shapit Gandharvas. The first
two can be googled easily. But who is the accursed one? And why?

While on the subject are there other title holders? Two I can recall
immediately - Chhota Gandharva and Anand Gandharva, who does not seem
to flaunt it anymore, mercifully. I am sure there are more, musical
titles don't cost much.

Finally, how about suggestions for new Gandharva titles?

Havanur

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 13, 2011, 7:44:22 AM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 11:01 am, Havanur <havanur...@gmail.com>, writing about
Gandharva-lok, recalled

> Anand Gandharva

That was when he was being paraded about by his father. Now he seems
o be a serious singer, and a pretty good one at that.

Talking of titles, there is Swaradheesh, a high-cholesterol dish whose
swaras have been dissed here.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.music.indian.classical/browse_thread/thread/34fbe046dd13214e/7742e095cadbecb9

Incidentally, both he and Talyogi got their titles from a
Shankaracharya, who should certainly know about music!

DG

Nandu Kulkarni

Jan 13, 2011, 7:57:28 AM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 11:01 am, Havanur <havanur...@gmail.com> wrote:

> While on the subject are there other title holders? Two I can recall
> immediately - Chhota Gandharva and Anand Gandharva, who does not seem
> to flaunt it anymore, mercifully. I am sure there are more, musical
> titles don't cost much.

It seems Anand Bhate has a new title "Audio Gandharva" and Subodh
Bhave is "Video Gandharva" thanks to the film being produced on Bal
Gandharva where Anand's voice is used and Subodh has played the part
in the film.

Nandu

Abhik Majumdar

Jan 13, 2011, 10:30:53 AM1/13/11
> Also mentioned were some lesser known prakars like Nutan, Hawaii and a Shapit Gandharvas. The first two can be googled easily. But who is the accursed one? And why?

Don't know about Nutan G, but Hawai (single 'i') was a sobriquet
conferred by PL Deshpande on Bhimsen Joshi, on account of the latter's
busy concert schedules, which prompted frequently airdashing from one
city to another.

IIRC, 'Shapit' was how Sureshbabu Mane was referred to. The reasons
are manifest, I guess.

Abhik

Vivek Datar

Jan 13, 2011, 12:55:31 PM1/13/11
There was Guni Gandharva (???? ???????)

How about iGandharva, or netGandharva? Who can assume these titles?

"Abhik Majumdar" <abhik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sudarshan

Jan 13, 2011, 6:28:08 PM1/13/11
On Jan 13, 12:55 pm, "Vivek Datar" <vda...@cisco.com> wrote:
> There was Guni Gandharva (???? ???????)

Guni Gandharva, I believe is Pt. Laxmanprasad Jaipurwale

> How about iGandharva, or netGandharva? Who can assume these titles?

naniwadekar

Jan 13, 2011, 8:23:01 PM1/13/11
On Jan 12, 10:01 pm, Havanur wrote:

> A recent article on Rahimat Khan reeled off a number of Gandharva
> titles, Bal, Sawai, and Kumar etc.
>
> While on the subject are there other title holders?

Shaila Datar's biography of Bhaskar-buwa Bakhale refers
to him as Deva-gandharva.

- dn

vinay

Jan 14, 2011, 6:10:33 AM1/14/11

how about gardhabs? a non mutually exclusive set with some
gandharvas..

Niranjan Ghaisas

Jan 14, 2011, 9:07:09 AM1/14/11

> IIRC, 'Shapit' was how Sureshbabu Mane was referred to. The reasons
> are manifest, I guess.
>
> Abhik

Excuse my ignorance, but could you spell out why Sureshbabu Mane was
given that name. I know nothing about him apart from the fact that he
was son and disciple of Abdul Karim Khan and Dr. Prabha Atre's guru.

Niranjan

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 17, 2011, 8:27:47 AM1/17/11
On Jan 14, 7:07 pm, Niranjan Ghaisas <nsghai...@gmail.com> humbly
asked Abik what the

> The reasons

were for Sureshbabu Mane being called "Shapit Gandharva", since he
said those were

> manifest, I guess.

Looks like Abhik has chosen to ignore the request, and no one else
seems to know, so allow me to make a guess:

Was he cursed with an inability to utter the word "bajuband" in the
famous thumri?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cbks90Wyq5k

DG

Dilip Sarwate

Jan 17, 2011, 10:18:53 PM1/17/11
On Jan 13, 9:30 am, Abhik Majumdar <abhik.r...@gmail.com> wrote:

> IIRC, 'Shapit' was how Sureshbabu Mane was referred to.

According to Google, others referred to as Shapit
Gandharva include Mohammad Rafi

....Vasant Desai once said that ” rafi ek shapit
gandharva tha jo apne prayshcit ke liye dharti
par aaya tha”

and K. L. Saigal

"..."Shapit Gandharva" - Based on the life of Kundan lal
Sehgal, produced by Nehru Center,....

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 18, 2011, 9:37:14 AM1/18/11
On Jan 18, 8:18 am, Dilip Sarwate <dvsarw...@yahoo.com> identified two
other claimants to the "Shapit Gandharva" title

> others referred to as Shapit Gandharva include Mohammad Rafi...

> and K. L. Saigal

So we need to say "Shapit rmic-Gandharva", "Shapit rmim-Gandharva-I"
and "Shapit rmim-Gandharva-II"!

DG

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 18, 2011, 9:40:12 AM1/18/11
On Jan 18, 7:37 pm, Imnot Apadmashri <imnotapadmas...@yahoo.com>
posted perhaps once too often

How long before I get labelled "Stopit-Gandharva"?

DG

Abhik Majumdar

Jan 18, 2011, 9:47:22 AM1/18/11

> How long before I get labelled "Stopit-Gandharva"?

Gandharva?

Havanur

Jan 18, 2011, 10:05:42 AM1/18/11
On Jan 18, 6:40 am, Imnot Apadmashri <imnotapadmas...@yahoo.com>
wondered:

> How long before I get labelled "Stopit-Gandharva"?
>
> DG

Wait till Jan 26 and there will be quite a few Kupit Gandharvas!

Otherwise Shri Sarwate is on the mark. Manifest reasons
notwithstanding, I don't see Shapit or Shaapit applied to Sureshbabu
Mane.

Havanur

Manohar

Jan 18, 2011, 10:41:06 AM1/18/11

There is one Nasheela Gandharv also.

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 18, 2011, 11:48:13 PM1/18/11
On Jan 18, 7:47 pm, Abhik Majumdar <abhik.r...@gmail.com> pondered:

> Gandharva?

Good point. Use the other G word introduced in this thread, if you
prefer.

DG

Chetan Vinchhi

Jan 19, 2011, 1:29:55 AM1/19/11
On Jan 18, 8:41 pm, Manohar <manohar.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is one Nasheela Gandharv also.

There may be more than one. Vyasan Gandharv sounds better :)

Question: What is the female equivalent of Gandharv?

C Parthapratim

Jan 19, 2011, 4:03:16 AM1/19/11
Gandharvi

Chetan Vinchhi

Jan 19, 2011, 6:25:58 AM1/19/11
On Jan 19, 2:03 pm, C Parthapratim <c.parthapra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gandharvi

Any Gandharvis?

Imnot Apadmashri

Jan 19, 2011, 10:10:17 AM1/19/11
C Parthapratim <c.parthapra...@gmail.com> suggested a feminine form of
Gandharva

> Gandharvi

I thought it was Apsara.

Chetan Vinchhi <vinc...@gmail.com> asked:

> Any Gandharvis?

Somehow the ladies have preferred Gaan-*

Gaan-Hira Hirabai Badodekar
Gaan-Tapaswini Mogubai Kurdikar
Gaan-Saraswati Kishori Amonkar
Gaan-Prabha Prabha Atre

Kesarbai Kerkar chose yet another - Surashri

bosmart

Jan 19, 2011, 10:10:27 AM1/19/11
I found this in Michael Kinnear's book on Abdul Karim Khan:" In the
late fourtees he (Suresh Babu Mane) had become interested in alchemy
as a means to resolving his domestic situation. While conducting
experiments with his equipment, he became affected by the toxic gases
produced by the burning of metals, with tragic and fatal consequences,
which caused his death on the 15th february 1953 at the age of 51
years." One plausible explanation for his nickname maybe.
Hans Bosma
Paris
France

Kuldeep More

Mar 10, 2022, 8:03:55 AM3/10/22
Nutan Gandharva : Pandit Appasaheb Deshpande from Kolhapur. My father received taleem from him.