Raag Jait

Pranav Ashar

Apr 25, 1993, 8:56:26 PM4/25/93
Does anyone know of any vocal or instrumental recordings of Raag Jait
(aka Jeta or Jayata) or its variations? Any pointers will be much appreciated.

| Pranav Ashar
| C&C Research Labs, NEC USA
| 4 Independence Way
| Princeton, NJ 08540
tel. (609) 951 2972 fax. (609) 951 2499 e-mail. as...@ccrl.nj.nec.com

Vasudev Murthy

Apr 26, 1993, 9:38:15 AM4/26/93
In article <1993Apr26....@research.nj.nec.com> as...@ccrl.nj.nec.com (Pranav Ashar) writes:
>Does anyone know of any vocal or instrumental recordings of Raag Jait
>(aka Jeta or Jayata) or its variations? Any pointers will be much appreciated.
>

>================================================================================
>| Pranav Ashar

I have a recording of Raag Jait rendered by Hari Prasad
Chaurasia. I think its a home recording though.

Vasudev
--
Vasudev Murthy Any opinions expressed are strictly
mur...@asl.dl.nec.com my own and have nothing to do with

Shiv Naimpally

Apr 26, 1993, 2:16:57 PM4/26/93
I have several recordings of Hari Prasad Chaurasia playing raga Jayat.
Can't recall seeing any vocal compositions in it though.

Arthur Levine

Apr 26, 1993, 9:53:16 PM4/26/93
In article <1993Apr26....@research.nj.nec.com> as...@ccrl.nj.nec.com (Pranav Ashar) writes:
>Does anyone know of any vocal or instrumental recordings of Raag Jait
>(aka Jeta or Jayata) or its variations? Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Just some provisional stuff. I checked recorded sources and found (in
Kinnear,natch) a couple of things by Ravi Shankar under "Jait". The
Hariprasad recording is under "Jait - Bibhas Ang". I haven't heard the
RS, but HC uses a 5/5 scale S r G P D S>, with weak (or skipped r in ascent).

Raganidhi refers to 5 types of Jait :-), but agrees with Patrick
Moutal that this one is the most commonly heard.

Jait is also described in a number of notational sources including
Bhatkhande, LN Gune, Patwardhan, etc. I haven't done anything on this
end, in terms of checking performance vs. notation/description.

Jait has big problems, mainly because, in its evidently common guise,
it's pitches are identical to those of another rag, namely Vibhas of
Marwa thaat. And again, the written documentation for this rag shows
discrepancies from the recorded performances (M. Mansur, Lalith Rao,
etc.) The big composition (most frequent in my library, starts with
"Morare". I have 5 or 6 renderings. Plus it is notated in Kramik
Pustak Malika, vol.6. Trouble is, the notation doesn't agree with the
recordings I checked -- and I don't mean in detail, either, but in
basic pitch material. Kramik Pustak's version is not audav-audav,
basically. Well, you sort it out, I think I know when I'm licked. If
it sounds good, go for it. Only don't program Jait and Bibhas on the
same concert! (Same time of day, no?) Another one of those exquisite fender-benders off in an obscure
corner of Hindustani music theory. Anyone insane enough to attempt to
articulate the differences between two rags when neither one can be
unambiguously
defined? I loved John Campana's remark about the
asbestos kurta, BTW. Who's your tailor?

Art Levine

Makarand Gadre

Apr 28, 1993, 8:35:44 PM4/28/93
In article <1993Apr26.1...@bmerh85.bnr.ca> sh...@bnr.ca (Shiv Naimpally) writes:
>I have several recordings of Hari Prasad Chaurasia playing raga Jayat.
>Can't recall seeing any vocal compositions in it though.

I know one Marathi song from raga Jayat. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It goes as :

dhAgA dhAgA akhand winuya, Ishwar Ishwar mukhe mhanuya

I think it is by Lata Mangeshkar.

Any comments, Rajan ?

Makarand.

Rajan Parrikar

Apr 28, 1993, 11:15:11 PM4/28/93
In article <1993Apr29.0...@microsoft.com> a-m...@microsoft.com (Makarand Gadre) writes:

>I know one Marathi song from raga Jayat. Please correct me if I am wrong.
>
>It goes as :
>
>dhAgA dhAgA akhand winuya, Ishwar Ishwar mukhe mhanuya
>
>I think it is by Lata Mangeshkar.
>
>Any comments, Rajan ?

Nope. Haven't heard this song.
But here's a Q for you and other Marathi netters. Lata's Ganapati
songs/aartis are legendary in Maharashtra and Goa. There's one which
I'm very fond of....but I don't get it's meaning. The words are
very sweet-sounding and it seems to me to be "shuddha" Marathi (this
could well be a reflection of my poor grasp of the language).
Furthermore, it's set to Raga Yaman Kalyan and rendered exquisitely
by the melody queen. As a matter of personal opinion, Lata's voice
and Yaman seem to be some kind of a divine match.
Anyway, the song is: Tuza maagto mi aata, maagato aata,
maj dyaave Ekdanta.....
Could you please e-mail the complete lyrics (with the meaning if poss)
or post them on rec.music.indian.misc. Also, who is the lyricist? And
is the music by Hridaynath?

Chalaa, aamhi udhyaa bhetuyaa:-)

Rajan Parrikar
==============
email: parr...@mimicad.colorado.edu
parr...@spot.colorado.edu

Message has been deleted

ChristianAMR

Nov 3, 2014, 2:26:30 PM11/3/14
Am Donnerstag, 29. April 1993 04:19:12 UTC+2 schrieb Makarand Gadre:
I found the above-mentioned bhajan by Asha Bhosle about Lord Vitthala :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNdCT3psfcA

I am not sure , but the enfasis on Dha brings it quite near to Bibhas . So maybe this geet is in Bibhas or on the frontier between Jait and Bibhas ....

Ps : Maybe this bhakti geet could be categorized as Abhang .
Message has been deleted

Hemant Ghayal

Sep 17, 2016, 5:26:23 AM9/17/16
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 12:56:30 AM UTC+5:30, ChristianAMR wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 29. April 1993 04:19:12 UTC+2 schrieb Makarand Gadre:
> >
> > >I have several recordings of Hari Prasad Chaurasia playing raga Jayat.
> > >Can't recall seeing any vocal compositions in it though.
> >
> > I know one Marathi song from raga Jayat. Please correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > It goes as :
> >
> > dhAgA dhAgA akhand winuya, Ishwar Ishwar mukhe mhanuya
> >
> > I think it is by Lata Mangeshkar.
> >
> > Any comments, Rajan ?
> >
> > Makarand.
>
> I found the above-mentioned bhajan by Asha Bhosle about Lord Vitthala :
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNdCT3psfcA
>
> I am not sure , but the enfasis on Dha brings it quite near to Bibhas . So maybe this geet is in Bibhas or on the frontier between Jait and Bibhas ....
>
> Ps : Maybe this bhakti geet could be categorized as Abhang .

Sounds like Bibhas. Marathi website Athavanitli Gaani informs this as Bibhas.
However it is not an Abhang as reference are modern. It is written in last 50 years. Poet is P.Sawalaram.
Note : I have deleted some e-mail address in original post.

ChristianAMR

May 6, 2023, 12:13:27 PM5/6/23
^

Thanks for the detailed infos !

ChristianAMR

May 9, 2023, 9:55:48 AM5/9/23
" Japata tero naam " ? - 5 matra - U Sal + Sha -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqhYGAnH3A0