Who was Rasrang???

malha...@mci2000.com

Oct 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/16/98
Does anyone know who wrote under the pen name Rasrang??
I am told it was someone in this century...

Thanks,

Ameesh

aas...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
I'm pretty sure it was Amir Khan, but Phalguni Mitra also uses this taqallus.

regards

aas

In article <7083u1$a2r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

--
"Do not sing yesterday's Yaman"
Swami Sachabananand

sramab...@pcc.lucent.com

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <70i4e1$hks$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

aas...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
> I'm pretty sure it was Amir Khan, but Phalguni Mitra also uses this taqallus.
>
> regards
>
> aas

On the same note, can anyone identify the signatures "Prem Rang" and "Pran
Piya"? Is the second another alias of Jagannathbua Purohit "Gunidaas"?

These two aliases were in bandishes presented by Ulhas Kashalkar last Sunday
afternoon.

Thanks,

Sanjeev

--
Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Rajan P. Parrikar

Oct 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/20/98
In article <70ig3k$siv$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
sramab...@pcc.lucent.com (Sanjeev Ramabhadran) wrote:

>In article <70i4e1$hks$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> aas...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure it was Amir Khan, but Phalguni Mitra also uses this taqallus.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> aas
>
>On the same note, can anyone identify the signatures "Prem Rang" and "Pran
>Piya"? Is the second another alias of Jagannathbua Purohit "Gunidaas"?

First of all, Amir Khan went by surarang, not rasarang.

There are one too many "premrang"s. I primarily like the compositions
of two - Ratnakant Ramnathkar of Goa and Saxena (what's his first name?)
of Delhi. I once posted the latter's beautiful composition in Raga Devgiri
Bilaval ("jhananana bAje") but mistakenly attributed it to the former.

"prANpiyA" was Vilayat Hussein Khan's nom de plume. Both
Jagganathbuwa (guNIdAs) and Ratnakantbuwa were his disciples.

>These two aliases were in bandishes presented by Ulhas Kashalkar last Sunday
>afternoon.

It is likely that Kashalkar's premrang is Rats. What rAga was it in?

There are many other "rang"s - praNavarang (Omkarnath Thakur),
Sabarang (Bade Gulam Ali Khan) etc etc. Let us not forget our own
safedrang Warren Senders.

Warm regards,

sramab...@pcc.lucent.com

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <70im0q$4...@drn.newsguy.com>,

Rajan P. Parrikar <parr...@colorado.edu> wrote:

> "prANpiyA" was Vilayat Hussein Khan's nom de plume. Both
> Jagganathbuwa (guNIdAs) and Ratnakantbuwa were his disciples.

This is interesting. I think I got mixed up because of the bandish in
JogKauns, "Peer Paraai Jaane Nahin Baalamawaa". The raag is credited to
Gunidas, as is (upon reflection) the bandish. However, IIRC, the antaraa
begins, "Praan Piya, Tum Aiso NiTHur Bhai" before the "Das Guni" comes in,
thus the (temporary) confusion.

> It is likely that Kashalkar's premrang is Rats. What rAga was it in?
>
> There are many other "rang"s - praNavarang (Omkarnath Thakur),
> Sabarang (Bade Gulam Ali Khan) etc etc. Let us not forget our own
> safedrang Warren Senders.

Can someone give out a short list of "famous" pen-names? Another that comes to
mind is "Prem Piya" (Faiyaaz Khan). Also, who were "Daras Piya", "Nazar Piya",
and "Manarang"?

WARVIJ

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
>This is interesting. I think I got mixed up because of the bandish in
>JogKauns, "Peer Paraai Jaane Nahin Baalamawaa". The raag is credited to
>Gunidas, as is (upon reflection) the bandish. However, IIRC, the antaraa
>begins, "Praan Piya, Tum Aiso NiTHur Bhai" before the "Das Guni"
>comes in, thus the (temporary) confusion.

The Jog Kauns bandish to which you refer is one of those composed
by Gunidas in which he calls out to his Ustad, Pran Piya. The two
had a lengthy correspondence of bandishes which has been
described in considerable detail by Vamanrao Deshpande. Another
such bandish is the lovely "Beg beg aawo mandira" in Ahir Bhairav,
with the last two lines of the antara: "Gunidas ko darasa dije ab
Pran Piya" expressing Purohit's plea to see Vilayat Hussain soon.
These are wonderful cheezas which are in every way felicitous for
improvisation.

Warren Senders

Rajan P. Parrikar

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
In article <70l8cg$cuu$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
malha...@mci2000.com wrote:

>BTW my original question "Who was Rasrang??" still remains unanswered...

That's not true. "aas5682" suggested Phalguni Mitra as a second
candidate. Unless he is wrong on both counts.

>Ameesh

TANSEN8106

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98

Rasrang= Ghulam Mustafa Khansahib??

Rajan P. Parrikar

Oct 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/21/98
I asked rAmarang about rasarang. rAmarang is Ramashreya Jha, the
highly-gifted vaggeyekAr and pandit from Allahabad. Like arrows
from a quiver he pulled out from memory several compositions of
rasarang. I recognized one right away - the popular "more ghar AjA"
in Raga Puriya Kalyan. But his memory failed on rasarang the man,
except to say that he was from the Agra gharANA. Faiyyaz Khan,
Vilayat Hussein Khan and Khadim Hussein Khan can be ruled out
for obvious reasons.
*****

On a different tack, does anyone have the marAthi article on
Aman Ali Khan of Bhendibazar gharANA (most probably by Prof. Deodhar)?
I recall reading it several years ago. It would be highly desirable
to give that great musician-composer a spot in cyberspace by putting
up a translation. Most current-day Hindustani rasikas do not realize
that they 'know' Aman Ali by virtue of his two celebrated compositions
in Raga Hamsadhwani - the vilambit kHayAl "Jai mAte vilamba" (rendered by
Amir Khan) and the druta composition "lAgi lagan sakhi pati san" (rendered
by every Khan). Some vocalists in Maharshtra (eg. Suhasini Koratkar)
sing many of his compositions. I don't know if they have been catalogued
and/or notated in print. He went by "amar."

Warm regards,

kan...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <70ko3c$mna$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

> Can someone give out a short list of "famous" pen-names? Another that comes to
> mind is "Prem Piya" (Faiyaaz Khan). Also, who were "Daras Piya", "Nazar Piya",
> and "Manarang"?
> >

> --
> Sanjeev Ramabhadran

Daras Piya is Mehboob Khan (agra - sharafat hussain's grndfather?). Also
from agra gharana Tassaduk Hussain (Kallan Khan's son) is Vindopiya and
Yunus Hussain khan is Darpan.

Shrikanth Kanekal

Francis Tupper

Oct 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/23/98
In article <70mefc$b...@drn.newsguy.com>, Rajan P. Parrikar
<parr...@colorado.edu> wrote:

> On a different tack, does anyone have the marAthi article on
> Aman Ali Khan of Bhendibazar gharANA (most probably by Prof. Deodhar)?
> I recall reading it several years ago. It would be highly desirable
> to give that great musician-composer a spot in cyberspace by putting
> up a translation. Most current-day Hindustani rasikas do not realize
> that they 'know' Aman Ali by virtue of his two celebrated compositions
> in Raga Hamsadhwani - the vilambit kHayAl "Jai mAte vilamba" (rendered by
> Amir Khan) and the druta composition "lAgi lagan sakhi pati san" (rendered
> by every Khan). Some vocalists in Maharshtra (eg. Suhasini Koratkar)
> sing many of his compositions. I don't know if they have been catalogued
> and/or notated in print. He went by "amar."
>
> Warm regards,

For some of those compositions, listen to
MAKCD022 Pandit TD Janorikar (student of Aman ali Khan) and
MAKCD032 Suhasini Koratkar (student of Pandit TD Janorikar)
both of course from the Bhendibazar. two CDs only available at
http://makar-records.com
US $ 16 posting fees included

best regards

Françis

elunn

Oct 25, 1998, 2:00:00 AM10/25/98
Swami assolanand is ' pretty ' wrong.
Rajan is '' pretty'' right.
Amir Khan is surrang.

cheers.

lunn.

aas...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<70i4e1$hks$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> I'm pretty sure it was Amir Khan, but Phalguni Mitra also uses this
taqallus.

> regards
>
> aas
>

> In article <7083u1$a2r$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
> malha...@mci2000.com wrote:
> > Does anyone know who wrote under the pen name Rasrang??
> > I am told it was someone in this century...
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ameesh

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own
> >

> --
> "Do not sing yesterday's Yaman"
> Swami Sachabananand

malha...@cwix.com

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
In article <70im0q$4...@drn.newsguy.com>,

Rajan P. Parrikar <parr...@colorado.edu> wrote:
<deleted>

> There are many other "rang"s - praNavarang (Omkarnath Thakur),
> Sabarang (Bade Gulam Ali Khan) etc etc. Let us not forget our own
> safedrang Warren Senders.

I would prefer Phirang :-). BTW I was told Manrang is Bade Ghulam Ali...

Rajan P. Parrikar

Oct 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/26/98
In article <712dvk$qne$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
malha...@cwix.com wrote:

>In article <70im0q$4...@drn.newsguy.com>,
> Rajan P. Parrikar <parr...@colorado.edu> wrote:
><deleted>
>> There are many other "rang"s - praNavarang (Omkarnath Thakur),
>> Sabarang (Bade Gulam Ali Khan) etc etc. Let us not forget our own
>> safedrang Warren Senders.
>>
>I would prefer Phirang :-). BTW I was told Manrang is Bade Ghulam Ali...

No, Bade Gulam Ali is 'sabrang.' Don't take my word for it.
It is easily verified on any number of his recorded bandishes
where the signature appears in the antarA. Try for instance,
the beautiful albeit short rendering in Raga Kedar - "naveli nAra."

I don't remember Manrang's name but am quite sure it is a
more ancient dude, probably contemporaneous with sadArang.
Oh, Bhumat Khan?

Warm regards,

WARVIJ

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
>I would prefer Phirang :-).

How about Sturmund-Rang?
Neve-Rang?
Mycountryrightor-Rang?

WS

WARVIJ

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
>I don't remember Manrang's name but am quite sure it is a
>more ancient dude, probably contemporaneous with sadArang.

While I am also unsure about Manrang, one of his pieces is the
beautiful Tilak Kamod: "Tiratha ko sub karen" in jhaptaal. I
will check my notebooks to see if any others spring to view.

WS

sramab...@pcc.lucent.com

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
In article <19981026212608...@ng102.aol.com>,

The bandish I remember his name from is the Puriya Kalyan bandish (sung by
Pandit Jasraj and Sanjeev Abhyankar among others) "Din Rain Kachhu Na
Suhaave".

Sanjeev

--
Sanjeev Ramabhadran

malha...@cwix.com

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98
In article <7152d9$3fb$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>,

sramab...@pcc.lucent.com wrote:
> In article <19981026212608...@ng102.aol.com>,
> war...@aol.com (WARVIJ) wrote:
> > >I don't remember Manrang's name but am quite sure it is a
> > >more ancient dude, probably contemporaneous with sadArang.
> >
> > While I am also unsure about Manrang, one of his pieces is the
> > beautiful Tilak Kamod: "Tiratha ko sub karen" in jhaptaal. I
> > will check my notebooks to see if any others spring to view.
> >
> > WS
> >

> The bandish I remember his name from is the Puriya Kalyan bandish (sung by
> Pandit Jasraj and Sanjeev Abhyankar among others) "Din Rain Kachhu Na
> Suhaave".
>
> Sanjeev

"Ab more Ram" in Gujri Todi is another one....

Ameesh

Dilip V. Sarwate

Oct 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/27/98

Now that the Rasrang controversy is dying down, let us next consider the
the real identity of the Anglo-Indian poetess Meera Kay Prabhu who wrote
several devoutly lyrical bhajans to Lord Krishna. She even includes her
postal address Giridharnagar in many of her compositions, but where is
this place? A suburb or neighborhood of Ahmednagar maybe?

sarod...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
malha...@cwix.com wrote:
> In article <70im0q$4...@drn.newsguy.com>,
> Rajan P. Parrikar <parr...@colorado.edu> wrote:
> <deleted>
> > There are many other "rang"s - praNavarang (Omkarnath Thakur),
> > Sabarang (Bade Gulam Ali Khan) etc etc. Let us not forget our own
> > safedrang Warren Senders.

Hmmm so racism creeps in. There are many other white artists of Indian music
who deserve your ire and fire a lot more than Mr. Senders. What sets Senders
apart from other Non-Indian performers of Indian music is his relaxed state
and modesty even though he is very knowledgeable; and of course his
'tabiyatdari'.

WARVIJ

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
>Hmmm so racism creeps in.
>There are many other white artists of Indian music
>who deserve your ire and fire a lot more than Mr. Senders.

Actually, while Rajan's asperity is a known quantity,
he deserves no rebuke here. About a year ago I jokingly
signed myself "Safedrang" in a private response to one
of Rajan's posts, and I have no objection to his usage.

WS

Ashok

Oct 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/28/98
In article <717djv$cto$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, sarod...@my-dejanews.com says...

>................................................What sets Senders

>apart from other Non-Indian performers of Indian music is his relaxed state

What is his state? Massachusetts? What is so relaxed about it?

Ashok

sarod...@my-dejanews.com

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
In article <7185jq$b...@news3.newsguy.com>,

I can sense some west-side humour here. Let me be more clear and explicit
about what I say this time. Senders' relaxed state of mind was what I had
meant... Please talk music. Frankly, I have no time for these trivialities.

Augustus T. White

Oct 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/29/98
to sarod...@my-dejanews.com
sarod...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> meant... Please talk music. Frankly, I have no time for these trivialities.

Interesting ... What trivialities *do* you have time for? Perhaps we can oblige you.

--Toby White

il_...@yahoo.com

Oct 31, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/31/98
In article <715eph$rj5$1...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>,

You probably mean Ahmedabad. It is nearer to Rajasthan and
there is a certain commonality between the two regions.
Ahmednagar is in interior Maharashtra and, though not too
far from Kolhapur/Sangli belt, nobody so far has suggested
Ustad Abdul Kareem Khan Saheb as the likely "owner" of
this "khitaab".
So far we have had 3/4 "guesses" as to who really was Rasrang.
In the absence of any definitive identification, this query
is fast becoming "Shabrang".
We have had "Safedrang" and "Phirang". How about "Rooprang" ?

Afzal

Soundharya & Sridhar

Nov 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/2/98

Could someone please give us the details of the next Unnikrishnan
concert(s)?( to be held in the NorthWest I believe)

Hassan Raza

Feb 23, 2022, 12:44:41 PM2/23/22
On Friday, 16 October 1998 at 12:00:00 UTC+5, malha...@mci2000.com wrote:
> Does anyone know who wrote under the pen name Rasrang??
> I am told it was someone in this century...
> Thanks,
> Ameesh
Ustad Anwar Khan Agra Waly !!!!

Kuldeep More

Mar 2, 2022, 9:54:28 AM3/2/22
After 24 years we have the answer finally!