Raga Vibhas (Komal Re, Dha form)

Bibhas

Apr 12, 2005, 10:56:17 AM4/12/05
Are there any recordings of Raag Vibhas (Bhairav Thaat), the form that
uses komal Rishabh and komal Dhaivat ? Everything I found so far is the
Marwa Thaat Vibhas. Please let me know in as much detail as you can.

Bibhas

MAUSAM

Apr 12, 2005, 3:09:50 PM4/12/05
> Are there any recordings of Raag Vibhas (Bhairav Thaat), the form that
> uses komal Rishabh and komal Dhaivat ? Everything I found so far is the
> Marwa Thaat Vibhas. Please let me know in as much detail as you can.

I have commercial recordings of Vibhas by
Malini Rajurkar, D.V. Paluskar (short piece), Yashwant Bua Joshi.
and private recordings by Gajananrao Joshi, and C.R. Vyas,

Apart from these I also have Shruti Sadolikar and R.T. Jadhav's commercial
recordings but I do not recall whether they are shuddha dhaivat or komal
dhaivat.

Animesh Aditya

Apr 12, 2005, 7:51:16 PM4/12/05
Hi

The only recording of Bhairav Thaat Vibhas that I have come across is
that of Smt. Malini Rajurkar (Vibhas and Salagwarali, released by
Alurkar). I have heard her sing the same vibhas live also. If you have
access to Kramik Pustak Malika by Bhatkhande (Vol 5 or 6), there are
some Bandishes of Komal dhaivat vibhas in there - Pyari pyari batiyan
kar kar mohan, Piya tum vahin jaao jahan saari rain bitayee.
Interestingly, Ye narhar narayan..., which is a common bada khyal in
vibhas, has been mentioned as a Dhrupad in Chautal, again in Bhairav
thaat vibhas.

There are some other very interesting commercially available recordings
of Vibhas, apparently all of Marwa thaat vibhas (apart from the ones
that Mausam has mentioned):

1) Pt. Mallikarjun Mansur (HMV)
2) Ulhas Kashalkar (Navras taken over by Sony nad)
3) Smt. Lalith Rao (Rhythm house classics - I am quite fond of her
rendition of ye narhar narayan and this tape overall for the excellent
Shuddha Sarang on the other side).
4) Pt. Jitendra Abhisheki (Times music, and one more)

Kishoritai renders her own version of Vibhas which she calls - Vibhas,
Uttari Dhaivat and uses both komal and shuddha dhaivat in it as she
pleases. I heard her sing it in the first Swar Utasav festival in
Delhi, which was later released by Music Today - not sure whether Music
Today clipped the parts where she used both the dhaivats.

I have an enchanting rendition of Vibhas rendered by Pt. Kumar
Gandharva (non-commercial) where he has distinctly used both teevra
madhyam and shuddha nishad (somewhat analogous to his use of the
forbidden Pancham in 'Ananda mana...' in malkauns). His rendition of
Mora re.. and Tarva ginat ginat... is really interesting.

Animesh

Animesh Aditya

Apr 12, 2005, 7:52:33 PM4/12/05

Animesh Aditya

Apr 12, 2005, 7:51:28 PM4/12/05

irfan

Apr 12, 2005, 8:28:42 PM4/12/05

Raag Bibhas in Bhairav Thaat, sung by Roshan Ara Begum is
available in Khurshid Anwar's Raag Mala at :
www.sarangi.info

Irfan

Bibhas

Apr 13, 2005, 1:46:31 PM4/13/05
Mausam, Animesh and Irfan,
Thanks for your replies. Roshanara's Vibhas was wonderful but too
short to get a good feel of the raaga. I'll go looking for Malini
Rajurkar's version.
Mausam, can you please give me the details of the albums for Yashwant
Bua's recital?
Also, please email me if any of you are willing to share your private
collections.
thanks
Bibhas

MAUSAM

Apr 13, 2005, 3:14:22 PM4/13/05
"kaise kumarva jaye re hamra" sung by D.V. Paluskar is one of the
more famous bandishes in Komal dhaivat Vibhas.

As for "ye narahar narayan" - it is exactly the "uttari dhaivat" vibhas
sung by Kishori Amonkar in the Svar-Utsav concert (2001) that you mention.

Mausam

ChristianAMR

May 7, 2023, 8:28:25 AM5/7/23
" Kais kumarava ... " by V Veena Sah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DYhACIgL8

ChristianAMR

May 13, 2023, 2:18:45 AM5/13/23
This Bibhas prakar is scale-congr. w Rewa .

ChristianAMR

May 16, 2023, 10:28:08 AM5/16/23
More emphasis on dha than the " Kais kum. " bandish :

Muslim Shaggan and Ustad Qadir Ali Shaggan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_mZVAd0AI