Can anybody tell me the raga of this song ?

Arun Tangirala

Aug 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/8/97

Can anybody tell me the raga in which the famous bhajan

Raghupati raghava Raja ram

is sung ??

Thanks

--
-Arun

Dakshin

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

I first heard it in a movie context on a graphite LP (circa 1970). It is
more like a bhajan. I think the movie is "Purab Aur Paschim" (East and
West).

Dakshin

Balaji Raghavachari

Aug 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/10/97

Arun Tangirala (ak...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca) wrote:
: Can anybody tell me the raga in which the famous bhajan

: Raghupati raghava Raja ram
: is sung ??
: -Arun

It is marked as "Misra piloo" in one of the cassettes I have.

Balaji

Amit Chatterjee

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

Arun Tangirala wrote:

> Can anybody tell me the raga in which the famous bhajan
>
> Raghupati raghava Raja ram
>
> is sung ??

There are many versions of it, I believe. The one sung by D V Paluskar
sounds like Raag Jaijawanti too me. If I am wrongs, please correct me.

--
/*********************************************************************
Amit Chatterjee

All opinions are mine, not NORTEL's.
*********************************************************************/

ERIC PARKER

Aug 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/11/97

> > Raghupati raghava Raja ram

> There are many versions of it, I believe. The one sung by D V Paluskar
> sounds like Raag Jaijawanti too me. If I am wrongs, please correct me.

I agree. I think it is Jaijaiwanti and that seems to be close to trad version

Eric

Suresh Gopalakrishnan

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

ERIC PARKER (er...@ican.net) wrote:
: > > Raghupati raghava Raja ram

Is Jaijaiwanti similar to Carnatic Kaapi?

--suresh

U.V. Ravindra

Aug 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/12/97

No, it's Carnatic equivalent is the raaga dvijAvanti. However,
jaijaiwanti stresses on the rishabham, which doesn't happen in
dvijAvanti.

Listen to the Dikshitar masterpiece "akhilAnDesvari" by
BVRaman & BVLakshmanan! There's a thillana by Balamurali
which brings the raga out beautifully, but doesn't do justice
to it really :-)

Have fun!
Ravindra.
nAbhi-hR^t-kaNTha-rasana-nAsAdula yandu ... shObhillu!

> --suresh

Sanjay Radhakrishnan

Aug 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/13/97

Surely this bhajan sounds like it is in Kapi ragam (the carnatic
version)?

-sanjay radhakrishnan
sra...@ctp.com

U.V. Ravindra

Aug 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM8/14/97

Actually, the most common version does seem to be not in the
carnatic dvijAvanti, using, as it does, the suddha dhaivatam
in the phrase "sab ko sanmati de bhagavaan" [ri ri ma , pa , dha
pa ma ga ri]. However, my mother sings the bhajan with the
chatusruti dhaivatam in this phrase, and it does sound more like
dvijavanti than kaapi. Elsewhere, too, her version replaces
the suddha dha with the chatusruti dha.

For reference, listen to BMK's dvijAvanti tillana. :-)

Ravindra.
nAbhi-hR^t-kaNTha-rasana-nAsAdula yandu ... shObhillu!

lummb...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 5:03:08 AM8/24/17
Raghupathi raghava rajaram

Thanks

karthick...@gmail.com

May 29, 2019, 7:26:40 AM5/29/19
On Friday, August 8, 1997 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Arun Tangirala wrote:
> Can anybody tell me the raga in which the famous bhajan
>
> Raghupati raghava Raja ram
>
> is sung ??
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> -Arun

this is based on KAPI raga

karthick...@gmail.com

May 29, 2019, 7:26:59 AM5/29/19
On Friday, August 8, 1997 at 12:30:00 PM UTC+5:30, Arun Tangirala wrote:
> Can anybody tell me the raga in which the famous bhajan
>
> Raghupati raghava Raja ram
>
> is sung ??
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> -Arun

kapi raga
Message has been deleted

Abhijit M

Jul 13, 2021, 8:19:50 AM7/13/21
I think it is based on Mishra Gara.

Leena Dongre Damle

Sep 5, 2021, 3:01:35 PM9/5/21
Even I find the presence of komal Dhaivat in phrase 'Sabako Sanmati De Bhagavaan' ... so I am confused!