Who Is The Greatest Ever?

Bay Way 41510

Aug 15, 2004, 12:04:14 PM8/15/04
Not best rapper ever, not best right now, not biggest selling

Judging strictly by their body of work (hip-hop records, not movies
and shit) and a consistency over years (and decades)...

I gotta go with Scarface

there's others worth mentioning sure, but face just has too many
REALLY GOOD ALBUMS, both solo and as a Geto (and ghetto) Boy

LL... too many substandard albums

Rakim? not enough really good albums (I count 4...)

Tupac? too much filler (at no fault of his own)

Too Short? faded down the stretch..

E-40? wooooosh!

Jay-Z and Eminem haven't been around long enough to merit mention

STRATEGY

Sumran Choudrey

Aug 15, 2004, 12:15:58 PM8/15/04
Is this just solo artist cos GangStarr have to get a mention in the
group stakes.

Solo, yeah Scarface is the man.

Jigga has had like 9 albums in 8 years or something though so I think he
should be included. 8 years is a while in the game.

quest19...@webtv.net

Aug 15, 2004, 12:35:57 PM8/15/04
This is easy, then again:
KRS-One
Gang Starr

The "reinvention of self" award goes to:
L.L. Cool J.

One the other hand, I wouldn't consider dropping weight a reinvention.
He still kicks around the same topics with his shirt off, while licking
his lips, and winking to the camera.

PainInDaAss

Aug 15, 2004, 12:52:50 PM8/15/04
blasphemy

pure blasphemy

in any debate about whos the greatest of all time, e-40's name should NEVER

NEVA, EVA EVA EVA EVA EVA

be mentioned

A to the L

Aug 15, 2004, 1:04:44 PM8/15/04
On 15 Aug 2004 09:04:14 -0700, ikey...@yahoo.com (Bay Way 41510)
wrote:

anybody who doesn't have Master Ace or Kool G Rap in their head as
soon as this question pops up is a fool

PEACH

A to the L

-->noixe

Aug 15, 2004, 1:22:41 PM8/15/04
On 8/15/04 11:04 AM, in article
284d5f0d.04081...@posting.google.com, "Bay Way 41510"
<ikey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Not best rapper ever, not best right now, not biggest selling

Lil Wyte

-->noixe

Aug 15, 2004, 1:24:53 PM8/15/04
> anybody who doesn't have Master Ace or Kool G Rap in their head as
> soon as this question pops up is a fool

G Rap fell off too hard. when you put your wife on, you got problems. when
she raps about fuckin other dudes on the same track as you, you also got
problems.

his protege even fell off.

Wasteland Drifter

Aug 15, 2004, 1:39:03 PM8/15/04
"Bay Way 41510" wrote

> Not best rapper ever, not best right now, not biggest selling
>

> Judging strictly by their body of work (hip-hop records, not movies
> and shit) and a consistency over years (and decades)...

Using this there is no competition... it's KRS ONE but Gangstarr are the
group that's been constantly dope...

---

mattmatical

Aug 15, 2004, 2:14:06 PM8/15/04
On 15 Aug 2004 09:04:14 -0700, (Bay Way 41510) wrote:

>Not best rapper ever, not best right now, not biggest selling
>

>Judging strictly by their body of work (hip-hop records, not movies
>and shit) and a consistency over years (and decades)...
>

>I gotta go with Scarface

Do other music genres have this type of competition as well?
I doubt it. If they do, they at least judge within genres.

That said, I - unwillingly - can make out for contestants:

LL Cool J, 2Pac, KRS-One and Scarface, and it's quite
obvious that Scarface wins if judged by what I'd call
'artistic consistency,' meaning having been able to keep
a certain artistic standard on all solo and group albums.

Matt
"You ain't even dope, you just weeded" (Tame One)

Mantorok

Aug 16, 2004, 10:29:53 AM8/16/04
You mention 2pac but he's dead, yet he's produced so many tracks that they
are still able to reel out albums continually, even though he died 8 years
ago.

Quite extrordinary, imagine how many albums he would've had out by now, if
he was still alive, would probably be between 10-20, then I would had to
have voted him.

Kev

"Bay Way 41510" <ikey...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

TJ Xenos

Aug 16, 2004, 10:58:08 AM8/16/04

>You mention 2pac but he's dead, yet he's produced so many tracks that they
>are still able to reel out albums continually, even though he died 8 years
>ago.
>
>Quite extrordinary, imagine how many albums he would've had out by now, if
>he was still alive, would probably be between 10-20, then I would had to
>have voted him.
>
>Kev

fifty cent has put out no less than 20 mixtapes in the last 3 years but hes no
threat for best ever....
T.J. Xenos
"great music is better than average sex" - Merle Haggard
"When I got the music, I got a place to go" - Rancid
"Im in love with rock & roll" - Motorhead

Mantorok

Aug 16, 2004, 11:06:31 AM8/16/04

"TJ Xenos" <talv...@aol.comeinureye> wrote in message

> >You mention 2pac but he's dead, yet he's produced so many tracks that
they
> >are still able to reel out albums continually, even though he died 8
years
> >ago.
> >
> >Quite extrordinary, imagine how many albums he would've had out by now,
if
> >he was still alive, would probably be between 10-20, then I would had to
> >have voted him.
> >
> >Kev
> >

> fifty cent has put out no less than 20 mixtapes in the last 3 years but
hes no
> threat for best ever....

Yeah I know, the orginator of this post said it was about volume of albums
produced - mixtapes do not compare to over 200 tracks in around 6 years.

TJ Xenos

Aug 16, 2004, 11:11:19 AM8/16/04

>Yeah I know, the orginator of this post said it was about volume of albums
>produced - mixtapes do not compare to over 200 tracks in around 6 years.

half finished tracks and mixtape tracks are more or less on the same level. im
not talking abut mixtape appearances, Im just talking 50 cent/g-unit mixtapes.
Not ther cats shit, just his. I got a fucking shelf of em, 50s gotta have
almost as many tracks as pac in half the time.... Not to mention the originl
pster mentioned consistency and lots of the pac stuff unrelesed before his
death isnt that good

Mantorok

Aug 16, 2004, 11:28:27 AM8/16/04

> >Yeah I know, the orginator of this post said it was about volume of
albums
> >produced - mixtapes do not compare to over 200 tracks in around 6 years.
> >

> half finished tracks and mixtape tracks are more or less on the same
level. im
> not talking abut mixtape appearances, Im just talking 50 cent/g-unit
mixtapes.
> Not ther cats shit, just his. I got a fucking shelf of em, 50s gotta have
> almost as many tracks as pac in half the time.... Not to mention the
originl
> pster mentioned consistency and lots of the pac stuff unrelesed before his
> death isnt that good

Hmm, I doubt 50 produced as many as Pac in half the time, seeing as the
majority of tracks produced were during the death-row days, and there were a
"lot".

Kev

TJ Xenos

Aug 16, 2004, 11:41:22 AM8/16/04
>Hmm, I doubt 50 produced as many as Pac in half the time, seeing as the
>majority of tracks produced were during the death-row days, and there were a
>"lot".

Do the math. 20 mixtapes with a conservative average of 10 songs each (some he
has less joints but some of the earlier shit is 20 tracks with him on every
one) gives you 200 songs, not counting his album, his appearances on other
recrds, his first lp from 99, or the g-unit lp....

pursiai...@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2017, 9:40:51 AM9/3/17
Eminem is the GOAT and will always be even if his new stuff is not as good as the old stuff.

kaesio...@googlemail.com

Sep 3, 2017, 2:17:30 PM9/3/17
Lol, replying to a 13 year old thread someone linked to r/hiphopheads. Guess I'll put my opinion for historical reference

1. Nas
2. 2Pac
3. Notorious B.I.G
4. Rakim