Latyrx, DJ Shadow on MTV

1 view

Solesides

May 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/10/97

Check Solesides on MTV's INdie Outing this coming Monday at 8pm. They'll
be showing clips from latyrx new video and Shadow's new video, along with
a full interview.

eurok

May 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/12/97

In article <19970510191...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
sole...@aol.com (Solesides) wrote:

wait a minute? yall are proud of this? god damn. maybe dj shadow can spin
for club mtv now. you are on your way kids...buzz clip anyone? once people
or entertainment magazines start talking about solesides, im out the door.
dont you get it? mtv is the last place you want to go...

eurok

Existing Universally Requires Only Knowledge - EUROK
-------
you-rock. u-rock. crackrock. tworock.

eurok.com http://www.students.haverford.edu/purquill
Chew on the wax as your rap career wanes - EurokSki La

All my boys get the vinyl at half cost
bitch ass niggas catch the shit at whole a cost - Eurokalicous.

Oliver Wang

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

Eurok,

Just to put some perspective on this...Shadow's already been in every
major music magazine, plus gotten written up by music critics in a lot of
major metro. newspapers. As far as an indie artist of his background
goes, he's gotten unparalleled attention. I think MTV, regardless of its
commercial content, is more or less, recognizing that there's a bandwagon
going on and jumping on board.

If that translates into greater record sales for Solesides folks, that's
all good. Free publicity is hard to beat when you're running on monetary
fumes, you know.

Would People or Entertainment Weekly report on Solesides? Not likely,
unless the Spice Girls become their next signing but you and I both know
that's not going to happen. But even if it did, unless Solesides is
selling their soul to get the attention of People (say by doing a remix
with Puffy...KRS anyone?), why knock the mainstream for doing what it's
always done: jack the hot stories once they cool down in the underground.

I see what you're trying to suggest, but MTV is part of the game of trying
to get a record out there. I have yet to Solesides compromise aesthetics
for popularity, why start now?

--Oli

In article <purquill-120...@caw42.resnet.haverford.edu>,

B. David Harrison

May 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/14/97

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Oliver Wang wrote:

> Eurok,
>
> Just to put some perspective on this...Shadow's already been in every
> major music magazine, plus gotten written up by music critics in a lot of
> major metro. newspapers. As far as an indie artist of his background
> goes, he's gotten unparalleled attention. I think MTV, regardless of its
> commercial content, is more or less, recognizing that there's a bandwagon
> going on and jumping on board.

Let's put it this way. My local public radio station (the only way to
get decent news, and surprisingly the second best way to get good
hip-hop, only if it is once a month- KUBE licks ass) uses Shadow's stuff
as filer music. One of the sindicated shows out of Philly, "Fresh Air"
for those who know, did a review on it. Shadow's in a vein that will get
a lot of attention. If you saw the piece, they played like 10 seconds of
"Say This" and the straight in "Midnight" which really doesn't look like a
"hip-hop video (if that means anything)" I don't think you could say MTV
was giving love, or that Solesides was doing anything wrong.

All that said, I've got of idealistic reasons to never, ever put my shit
(assuming I had shit) on MTV. There's a LOT wrong with MTV that would
make an artist just tell them to go to hell. What'll get a lot of respect
from an artist is when they tell the suspect institutions like MTV and BET
to steep, and just move the video on the undergound.

David Harrison http://weber.u.washington.edu/~wasup
Live from Seattle Last updated 4/27/97

"... as she walked away man, I couldn't deny. Started lyin'
to myself, man she wasn't that fly." You Ain't Fly- The Roots

Motomasa Mori

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

eurok wrote:

> In article <19970510191...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
> sole...@aol.com (Solesides) wrote:
>
> > Check Solesides on MTV's INdie Outing this coming Monday at 8pm. They'll
> > be showing clips from latyrx new video and Shadow's new video, along with
> > a full interview.
>
> wait a minute? yall are proud of this? god damn. maybe dj shadow can spin
> for club mtv now. you are on your way kids...buzz clip anyone? once people
> or entertainment magazines start talking about solesides, im out the door.
> dont you get it? mtv is the last place you want to go...
>
> eurok
>
> Existing Universally Requires Only Knowledge - EUROK

One thing I really don't understand is this whole thing of not wanting
to cross into a mainstream audience. Hell, Shadow has not changed in too
many ways... I've got his first releases on Mo Wax from back in '92, and
he's still progressing along his path - with or without mass media.

I mean, is it bad for someone to become financially successful from
doing what they love? So was Public Enemy a sell out back with "A Nation
of Millions" when they were the MOST written about music group that year
(including stuff in Rolling Stone, Spin, and ALL the mainstream music
mags, PLUS MTV)?

After all, like Busta Rhyme said in a little-known interview in NC,
he'll crossover until there's no more crossin' to do. Why? Cause that
means you've got that many MORE listeners who are hearing what you're
saying...

I don't think that's EVER a bad thing...

--
Motomasa Mori
m_m...@undercurrent.com

By US Code Title 47, Sec.227(a)(2)(B), a computer/modem/printer meets
the definition
of a telephone fax machine. By Sec. 227(b)(1)(C), it is unlawful to send
any unsolicited advertisement to such equipment. By Sec. 227(b)(3)(C), a
violation of the aforementioned section is punishable by action to
recover the actual monetary loss, or $500, whichever is greater, for
each violation.

Robert Gabriel

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

Eurok stated:

>once people or entertainment magazines start talking about solesides, im out the door.>

Well I'll send you a belated "good bye", seeing how Solesdies has been
prevalent in the media for like 3 years now.

R2G2

eurok

May 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/15/97

In article
<Pine.OSF.3.95.970514...@saul3.u.washington.edu>, "B.
David Harrison" <wa...@u.washington.edu.schtuff> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 May 1997, Oliver Wang wrote:
>
> > Eurok,
> >
> > Just to put some perspective on this...Shadow's already been in every
> > major music magazine, plus gotten written up by music critics in a lot of
> > major metro. newspapers. As far as an indie artist of his background
> > goes, he's gotten unparalleled attention. I think MTV, regardless of its
> > commercial content, is more or less, recognizing that there's a bandwagon
> > going on and jumping on board.

no doubt. ive read all those articles. but its one thing to write an
ARTICULATE article on DJ Shadow, and have readers (like myself) pick it
up, because the skill of the writer conveyed the beauty of creativity of
that album.

its another thing for mtv to pimp it, buzz clip it, saturate it, play it
out, and forget about it when the new spice girls video comes out.

eurok

Existing Universally Requires Only Knowledge - EUROK

Message has been deleted

Raevyn

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

Sure MTV is evil, sure they are at an all time low.
Each time I happen to flip channels and settle on MTV for a second to
give it a chance (Oh God not again) I see some bullshit game show or
college kid whining about how hard life is. I hate this channel as
much as anybody, especially because of the wasted potential.
But the truth is, in '97, it's the only game in town.

I think that the Latyrx album is the best thing I've heard in a very
long time, Shadow is undeniably dope as well, but this said, how many
of your 'non-Hip Hop' friends would have ever heard of them without
the mainstream media? (And don't say," who cares about my non-Hip Hop
friends?", cause you know most artists want to reach the world.)
So I figure Solesides said, fuck it, lets do this and then just waited
to see how it worked out. As it was, the Shadow interview I saw, and
the AMP profiled video was pretty cool.
These guys need to be unleashed upon the world so that evil entities
such as MTV will be eroded from the inside out by the true funk.

I have all kinds of faith in Solesides and their plan of attack.

We desperately need a pirate video music channel that will just play
stuff because it is decent, and not because it promotes the next Tom
Cruise movie. But until then, I'll take my chances and peep my heroes
wherever they show up.

woorrrrrrrdddd up

Raevyn

o...@deathsdoor.com

May 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/19/97

Hey, i just picked up that Latyrx album.
it has refreshed my interest in hip-hop.

I heard something that I haven't heard in
a long time.... originality.

Its crazy!!! have you ever heard two emcees rhyming
simultaneously? one in the left ear one in the right?

snatch this one up if ya can find it.... I had to order it.

--Obuk/H-tide Prod.
http://www.netforward.com/deathsdoor/?ohp

Tom de Ridder

May 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/22/97

On Mon, 19 May 1997 00:44:21 -0700, o...@deathsdoor.com wrote:

>Hey, i just picked up that Latyrx album.
>it has refreshed my interest in hip-hop.
>
>I heard something that I haven't heard in
>a long time.... originality.
>
>Its crazy!!! have you ever heard two emcees rhyming
>simultaneously? one in the left ear one in the right?

Check PE's Party for your right to fight, from the It Takes A Nations
To Hold Us Back Album (a true classic). This was back in 1988. Both
Chuck and Flavor rap simultaneously on this track. One in left
channel, one in right channel.

YALLRWACK

May 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/24/97

------

TRUE BUT ON PE THEY RHYME THE SAME THING (PRETTY MUCH, A LITTLE
DIFFERENCE)
ON LATYRX THEY RHYME COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSES
THAT'S PRETTY NUTTY I HAVE TO SAY
I LIKE IT

YALLRWACK

Kris Srinivasan

May 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/29/97

:
: >Hey, i just picked up that Latyrx album.
: >it has refreshed my interest in hip-hop.
: >
: >I heard something that I haven't heard in
: >a long time.... originality.
: >
: >Its crazy!!! have you ever heard two emcees rhyming
: >simultaneously? one in the left ear one in the right?
:
: Check PE's Party for your right to fight, from the It Takes A Nations
: To Hold Us Back Album (a true classic). This was back in 1988. Both
: Chuck and Flavor rap simultaneously on this track. One in left
: channel, one in right channel.
:

Yeah, but they both do the same verse. Latyrx does different verses.
Innovation for the pure sake of innovation, if you ask me...more an art
statement than an artistic one.

Kris.