Rap Sample FAQ v 4.02

Blaine Armsterd

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
Version 4.02 July 1, 1995
This FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) Sheet attempts to answer these
frequently asked questions: Where have I heard that beat before? Where
did Mc/Dj/Pop singer get that from? This file catalogs samples and
remakes in rap, soul, and even some pop music.
After reading this file, and please mail me as many additions and
corrections you can, no matter how small. Please include the album,
complete song title, record label, and year if possible. Thanks in
advance for any contributions or comments you send.
Please remember that this list is composed of many educated guesses
on both my and the the contributors parts, so please excuse any mistakes,
and feel free to disagree with our own opinions.
This information is solely the property of the author and the
contributors found at the end of this list. However, we will permit the
copying and distribution of this FAQ _as long as the list of contributors
is not removed._
All errors are due to me alone.

Table of Contents:
-----------------
Section 1: Soul, Funk, R&B, & Disco Section 2. Jazz
Section 3. Pop, & Blue-Eyed Soul Section 4: Blues
Section 5: Rock Section 6: Reggae
Section 7: Old School Rap Section 8: Comedy Albums
Section 9: Movies Section 10: Unknown Catergory
Section 11: Source Materials Section 12: Beat Mining
Section 13: Credits Section 14: FAQ Updates
Section 15: Author Contact

Key:
---
Artist or Group Name
Name of Album: (Label & Year)
* "Sampled Song"
Sampler's Song "Title" (Various Specifications)

(Vocals) means that the artist is sampling only the vocals, not the music,
from the original song.

(Vocal Interpolation) means that they are singing a melody or borrowing
lyrics from the original, without sampling.

{Interpolation} means that they are re-playing a melody, drums, or bass
line from a song. If it is unclear if it is a Interpolation or not, it
is assumed that it is a sample.

(Remix), of course, denotes various re-releases, and it is should be noted
if both the original and re-mixes sample the same song.

? , of course, represent unknowns, or information I know to be of more
questionable accuracy. Please e-mail me with the info if you know it!

An artist's albums are listed in order of release. When a
paticular artist's album has been sampled more than once, the sampling
artists are listed alphabetically. If an artist has sampled a song more
than once, the songs should be in order of appearance (first song on
first album to last song on last album.)

I am soliciting samples of *Old* school jams, pre - Run-D.M.C.
_only_. No samples are included of recent songs sampling other rappers,
singers, etc. They are too obvious and would take up needless space, Also
one will notice that in this FAQ, when one artist samples part of another,
current song, which was a sample of yet another song, both songs will be
listed under the original. For example, it is most likely that Alexander
O'Neal sampled Digital Underground, not Sly Stone. Still, both "The
Humpty Dance" and "Love Makes No Sense" are found under Sly's "Sing a
Simple Song."

Abbreviations:
-------------
ADevelopment= Arrested Development ATCQuest= A Tribe Called Quest
AtLaw= Above the Law BDKane= Big Daddy Kane
BDP= Boogie Down Productions BNubian= Brand Nubian
BR&R= Black Rock & Ron CDaughters= Conscious Daughters
CEO=Criminal Element Orchestra CMWanted= Compton's Most Wanted
DeltFH= Del Tha Funkee Homosapien DPlanets= Digable Planets
EB&Rakim= Eric B & Rakim HoPain= House of Pain
IHoodlum= Intelligent Hoodlum JBrothers= Jungle Bros
LProfile= Low Profile NBIG= Notorious B.I.G.
OKonfusion= Organized Konfusion PInvest= Private Investigators
QLatifah= Queen Latifah RHLTone= Red Hot Lover Tone
RRA= Ruthless Rap Assassins SCCartel= South Central Cartel
SLFine= Serious Lee Fine SoMischief's= Souls of Mischief
T$hort= Too $hort Ultramag MC= Ultramagnetic MC's
WC & MCircle= WC & The MADD Circle WCRAStars= West Coast Rap All Stars
WCWCrew= World Class Wreckin' Crew WTClan= Wu-Tang Clan

CMoney & Marvelous= Cash Money and Marvelous
GMFlash & FFive= Grand Master Flash & The Furious Five
JJeff & FPrince= Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince
PRock & CLSmooth= Pete Rock and CL Smooth
SoB ft. NSCatBand = Son of Bazerk ft. No Self Contrl and the Band
1. Soul, R&B, Funk, and Disco Samples

100 Proof Aged in Soul
Somebody's Been Sleeping in my Bed: (Hot Wax 1970)
* "Somebody's Been Sleeping in my Bed"
BDKane's "Somebody's Been Sleeping in my Bed"

24 Karat Black
?: (? ?)
* "Ghetto Misfortunes Wealth"
EB&Rakim's "In the Ghetto"
* "24 Karat Theme"
Keith Murray's "Herb is Pumpin'"

8th Day, The
?: (Invictus 1971)
* "She's Not Just Another Woman"
Biz Markie's "She's Not Just Another Woman (Monique)"
DJ Quik's "Born and Raised in Compton"

9th Creation
?: (? ?)
* "Bubble Gum"
3rd Bass's "Derelicts of Dialect"
Artifacts' "Wrong Side of the Tracks"
Ce-Ce Peniston's ?
Chubb Rock's "The One"
N-Tyce's "Black to the Point"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Soul Brother #1"

A Taste of Honey
A Taste of Honey: (Capitol 1978)
* "Distant"
Ice Cube's "Gangsta's Fairytale 2"
* "Boogie Oogie Oogie"
College Boyz's "Interlude: Peter Pun"
Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do" (Intro)

Abrams, Colonel
Colonal Abrams: (MCA 1975)
* "Trapped"
JJeff & FPrince's "Trapped on the Dance Floor"

Ambassadors
?: (? ?)
* "Ain't Got the Love"
PRock & CLSmooth's "I Got a Love"

Anderson, Vicki
Single Realease as Myra Barnes: (King 1970)
* "Message from the Soul Sisters"
AtLaw's "Freedom of Speech"
Gang Starr's "No More Mr. Nice Guy"
Geto Boys' "City Under Siege"

Apollonia 6
Apollonia 6: (Warner Bros 1984)
* "Sex Shooter"
DUnderground's "Doowhatchalike"
"Sex Packets"

Arrington, Steve (Hall of Fame)
Steve Arrington's Hall of Fame I: (Atlantic 1983)
* "Nobody Can Be You (But You)"
BNubian's "Grand Puba, Postitve and L.G."
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "21 Jumpstreet" (Vocal Interpolation)
* "Weak at the Knees"
3XDope's "Weak at the Knees"
NWA's "Gangsta Gangsta"
* "Beddie Bye"
ATCQuest's "The Chase, Part II"

Average White Band
Average White Band: (Atlantic 1974)
* "Pick Up the Pieces"
CMoney & Marvelous's "Who's in the Place?"
Doug E Fresh's "On the Strength"
Stezo's "Jimmy's Gettin' Funky"
"Talking Sense"
* "Person to Person"
BDKane's "Mr. Pitiful"
BNubian "Word is Bond"
Boss's "Recipe of a Hoe"
Insane Poetry's "Angel of Death"
LProfile's "That's Why They ..."
Luke's "Cowardz in Compton"
MMAce's "Gettin' Stupid"
Public Enemy's "Air Hoodlum"
Steady B's "Stone Cold Hustler"
Tim Dog's "Goin Wild in the Penile"
Yo-Yo's "Put a Lid on It"
YZ's "Thinkin' of a Master Plan"
{This is one of those familiar noises any rap fan will pick up on, a high
pitched "Umm-Hmm.", see "Mr. Pitiful." Also, the bassline from the break
is usually used.}

Cut the Cake: (Atlantic 1975)
* "Schoolboy Crush"
CMBadd's "Thinkin' Back" (Remix)
De La Soul's "Do as De La Does"
EB&Rakim's "Microphone Fiend"
EPMD's "Can't Hear Nothin' but the Music"
Father MC's "One Night Stand"
Lench Mob's "You and Your Heroes"
Nas's "Halftime"
Special Ed's "Think About It"
TLC's "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg"
T$hort's "Life is Too Short"
XClan's "Grand Verbalizer, What Time is It?"
{This is one of the most popular beats to loop in rap's early days, and
still finds some use. Features a prominent bass line and sleigh bells.
Weird. Funky. Heard best on Too $hort and Special Ed, etc.}

Put it Where You Want It: (MCA 1975, re-release of Show Your Hand, 1973)
* "Reach Out"
BDP's "House N----s"
Ice Cube's "Steady Mobbin'"
Yo-Yo's "Put a Lid on It"
* "T.L.C."
BDP's "Ya Know the Rules"

Soul Searching: (Atlantic 1976)
* "Soul Searching"
PInvistigators' "A If U Listen"
* "Love Your Life"
ATCQuest's "Check the Rhyme"
Larry Larr's "Jazz it Up"
* "I'm the One"
BNubian's "Word is Bond"

Benny and Us: Featuring Ben King (Atlantic 1977)
* "A Star in the Ghetto"
NWA's "If it Ain't Ruff"

Warmer Communications: (Atlantic 1978)
* "Your Love is a Miracle"
Del tFH's "Hoodz Come in Dozens"
Ultramag MC's "Bust the Facts"
WC & MCircle's "Get on up on that Funk"

Feel No Fret: (Atlantic 1979)
* "Stop the Rain"
Gang Starr's "Gotta Get Over"
Willie D's ?

?: (? ?)
* "The Jugglers"
Ice Cube's "What They Hittin' Foe?"

B T Express
Do it Till Your Satisfied: (Scepter/Roadshow 1974)
* "This House is Smokin'"
3rd Bass's "Triple Stage Darkness"
AtLaw's "Menace to Society"
* "Everything Good to You (Ain't Always Good for You)"
EPMD's "Get the Bozack"
* "If it Don't Turn You on (You Outta Leave it Alone)"
BDKane's "Smooth Operator"
DOC's "Comm 2"
Dr Dre's "Stranded on Death Row"
EPMD's "So Whatcha Sayin'?"
Gang Starr's "Premier & the Guru"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
King T's "Can this Be Real?" (Remix)
KMDee's "God Made Me Funky"
Live Squad's "Pump for a Livin'"
MC Lyte's "Ice Cream Dream"
Nemesis' "Str8 Jackin'"
{This is usually an amplified sample of the ever popular guitar line.
It's got some deep bass and pretty fly drums too.}
* "Once You Get It"
AtLaw's "Menace to Society"
Cookie Crew's "Feelin' Proud"
DJ Quik's "Loc'ed Out Hood"
* "Do You Like It"
AtLaw's "Menace to Society"
DJ Quik's "Loc'ed Out Hood"
GMFlash & FFive's "Yo Baby"
Ice-T's "The Iceberg"
King T's "King Tee Production"
Zhigge's "Harlem"
* "Express"
Busy Bee's "Express"
Gang Starr's "Gusto"
Prince JC's "For the Love of ..."
{As you can see, this album is a DJ favorite, especially by West Coast
artists. Disco should have stayed like this. It has phat bass lines,
phat horns, and some of *the* phattest guitar licks ever.}

Non Stop: (Scepter/Roadshow 1976)
* "You Got it I Want It"
Audio Two ft. MC Lyte's "Start it Up Y'all"
Coolio's "Smokin' Stix"

?: (? ?)
* "What Do You Do in the Dark"
Del tFH's "Wrongplace"

Ballard, Hank
?: (? ?)
* "From the Love Side"
Breeze's "LA Posse"

Baker, Anita
Rapture: (Elektra 1986)
* "Been So Long"
MC Lyte's "I Go On"

Barkays
Black Rock: (Volt 1969)
* "In the Hole"
CMWanted's "Dead Men Tell No Lies"
Fu-Schnickens' "Ring the Alarm"
Yo-Yo's "Hoes"
* "Humpin'"
Black Sheep's "The Choice is Yours"
Cypress Hill's "Real Estate"
Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted"
* "Sang & Dance"
De La Soul's "En Focus"
* "Copy Cat"
Cypress Hill's "Real Estate" (Vocals)

Too Hot to Stop: (Mercury 1976)
* "Cozy"
MC Lyte's "All That"

Flying High on Your Love: (Mercury 1977)
* "Let's Have Some Fun"
AtLaw's "Harda U R Tha Doppa U Faal"
Eazy-E's "No More Questions"

Money Talks: (Stax 1978)
* "Holy Ghost"
Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies"
CMoney & Marvelous's "The Music Maker"
M.A.R.R.S.'s "Pump Up the Volume"
Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet"
Steady B's "Keeper of the Funk"
Tupac's "Last Wordz"
* "Let's Have Some ..."
AtLaw's "Harda U R Tha Doppa U Faal"
* "Shake Your ..."
Eazy-E's "No More Questions"

In Joy: (Mercury 1979)
* "Move Your Boogie Body"
Gospel Gangstas's "Mobbin'"

Nightcruising: (Elecktra 1981)
* "Hit & Run"
Coolio's "County Line"
* "Traffic Jammer"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Part One"

?: (? ?)
* "Son of Shaft"
Public Enemy's "Caught, Can I Get a Witness"
* "Jiving 'Round"
Kool G Rap's "Crime Pays"

Benson, George
Shape of Things to Come: (A&M 1968)
* "Footin' It"
Diamond D's "Freestyle (Yo, That's that S---)"

Breezin': (Warner Bros. 1976)
* "Breezin'"
JJeff & FPrince's "Time to Chill"
YZ's "Tower with the Power"

Give Me the Night: (Warner Bros. 1980)
* "Give Me the Night"
Heavy D's "Give Me the Night"

Bliss, Melvin
?: (? ?)
* "Substitution"
Boss's "Comin' to Getcha"
De La Soul's "Potholes in My Lawn"
De-Lite's "I Won't Give Up"
Masta Ace's "Saturday Night"
Method Man's "All I Need"
Orb ?
NBNature's "O.P.P."
Public Enemy's "Don't Believe the Hype"
Papa Chuk's "Make Way for the Rudeboy"
Pharcyde's "Ya Mama"
Run-DMC's "Wreck Shop"
SoMischeif's "A Name I Call Myself"
Ultramag's "Ego Trippin'"
{This is a monster in the hip-hop realm. Just look at the jams that
sampled it. I've noticed a lot of artists chopping this beat up and
making something new with it. Souls of Mischief does this. PE is
representative of the drums. De La Soul uses some of the music (and
you can hear the beat under it too). Anyone have an original copy of
this?}

Bob and Earl
Single ?: (Marc 1963)
* "Harlem Shuffle"
HoPain's "Jump Around"

Bohannon, Hamilton
?: (? ?)
* "Singing a Song for My Mother"
Ed OG's "I Gotsta Have It"
Heavy D's "Love Sexy"
Intro's "Let Me Be the One"

Booker T. & the MG's
Hip-Hug-Her: (Stax 1967)
* "Hip-Hug-Her"
Das EFX's "Loosey's"
Heavy D's "Don't Curse"
Jungle Brothers' "Promo #2"
Lord Finesse's "I Like My Girls"

Bootsy's Rubber Band
Stretching Out in Bootsy's Rubber Band: (Warner Bros. 1976)
* "I'd Rather Be with You"
Adina Howard's "A Freak Like Me"
NWA's "I'd Rather F--- with You"
* "Vanish in Our Sleep"
Scarface's "I Need a Favor"

Ahh... The Name's Bootsy Baby: (Warner Bros. 1977)
* "Ahh... The Name's Bootsy, Baby"
Eazy-E's "We Want Eazy"
* "The Pinocchio Theory"
Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Sleep withMy Fonk"
* "What's a Telephone Bill?"
Thug Life's ?
* "Munchies for Your Love"
Kokane's "No Pain, No Gain"
* "Can't Stay Away"
NWA's "To Kill a Hooker"

Bootsy? Player of the Year: (Warner Bros. 1978)
* "Hollywood Squares"
Lench Mob's "Mellow Madness"
LL Cool J's "All We Got Left is the Beat"
MC Breeze's "LA Posse"
NWA's "Cool L.A."
T$hort's "I'm a Player"
* "Bootzilla"
DUnderground's "Danger Zone"
"Rhymin' on the Funk"
Doctor Ice's "Word to the Wise"
Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz It"

This Boot is Made for Fonkin': (WB 1979)
* "Bootsy Get Live!"
Keith Murray's "The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World"
* "Under the Influence of a Groove"
Keith Murray's "How's That?"
TreyLewd's "The Next Thing You Know (We'll Be)"

Ultra Wave: (Warner Bros. 1980)
* "Fat Cat"
AtLaw's "Pimp Clinic"
* "It's a Musical"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Bang (Get Down, Get Down)!"

Body Slam: (Warner Bros. 1982)
* "Body Slam!"
AtLaw's "VSOP"

?: (? ?)
* "Mug Push"
Too $hort's "Playboy Short"

Brass Construction
Brass Construction I: (Liberty 1975)
* "Moving"
DJ Quik's "N----z Still Trippin'"
"Quick is the Name (Bonus Beats)"
* "Changin"
MC Lyte's "When in Love"
MMG's "2 Black 2 Strong"
Schooly D 's ?

Brass Construction II: (United Artists 1976)
* "What's on Your Mind (Expression)"
Biz Markie's "Cool V's Tribute to Scratching"
* "The Message (Inspiration)"
NWA's "I Ain't the One"

5: (Liberty 1979)
* "Get Up to Get Down"
Ahmad's "Touch the Ceiling"
King T's "Bass"

Brick
Good High: (Bang 1975)
* "Dazz"
CMWanted's "Compton 4 Life"
Dana Dane's "Cinderfella Dana Dane"
DJ Quik's "Dollars & Sense"
Ice Cube's "No Vaseline"
MC Lyte's "Search 4 Lyte"
Real Roxanne's "Howie's Tee'd Off"
Young Soldierz's "Eastside Westside"
* "Can't Wait"
Ultramag MC's "MC Champion"

Brick: (Bang 1977)
* "Dusic"
Hammer's "It's All Good"
Hi-C's "Leave My Curl Alone"
* "Living from ..."
Yaggfu Front's "Lookin' for a ..."
* "We Don't Wanna Sit Down"
WCWCrew's "We Don't Wanna Sit Down"
* "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody"
Kid 'n' Play's "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody"

Brothers Johnson
Right on Time: (A&M 1977)
* "Strawberry Letter 23"
Tevin Campbell's "Strawberry Letter 23"
DJ Quick's "Safe + Sound"
Kurtis Blow's "Still on the Scene"
Yo-Yo's "Woman to Woman"

Brown, Chuck
Bustin' Loose: (? ?)
* "Bustin Loose"
CEO's "How Low Can You Go"

Brown, James
Papa's Got a Brand New Bag: (King 1965)
* "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag"
KMDee's "How Ya Like Me Now?"
"I'm a Player"
No Face's "Stole My S---"
Pharcyde's "I'm that Type of N----"

I Got You (I Feel Good): (King 1966)
* "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
Gang Starr's "Gotch U"

It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World: (King 1966)
* "It's a Man's, Man's, Man's World" (Intro)
BDKane's "Mortal Combat"
Heavy D's "You Ain't Heard Nuttin' Yet"
Ice Cube's "This is a Man's World"
"Jackin' 4 Beats"
Luke's "Arrest in Effect"

Cold Sweat: (King 1967)
* "Cold Sweat"
3xDope's "Straight Up"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
King Tee's "Bass"
Public Enemy's "Prophets of Rage"
"Welcome to the Terrordome"
"How to Kill a Radio Consultant"
Terminator X's "Juvenile Delinquentz"

I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me): (King 1968)
* "I Can't Stand Myself (When You Touch Me)"
Schooly D's "It's Like Dat"
Spacey B. Experience's "Run that Go-Power Thang"

Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud: (King 1969)
* "Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud"
2 Live Crew "Ya Bad Self"
BNubian's "Dedication"
IHoodlum's "Black and Proud"
Non Step's "Keep 'em Steppin'"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Do You Really Want Me?"
WCRAStar's "We're All in the Same Gang"

Ain't If Funky: (King 1969)
* "Ain't it Funky"
Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies"
BR&R's "My Hometown"

The Popcorn: (King 1969)
* "The Chicken"
2 Live Crew's "I Ain't Bull------'"
BDKane's "Calling Mr. Welfare"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"

It's a Mother: (King 1969)
* "Mother Popcorn"
Antoinette's "Hit 'em with This"
Doug E Fresh's "On the Strength"
Heavy D's "Flexin'"

Its a New Day So Let a Man Come in and Do the Popcorn: (King 1970)
* "It's a New Day"
EPMD's "Gold Digger"
OverPooch's "Ace is a Spade"

Sex Machine: (King 1970)
* "Sex Machine"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Everlast's "Syndication (Remix)"
Fat Boys' "Sex Machine"
Hammer's "They Put Me in the Mix"
Heavy D's "Big Tyme"
Kurtis Blow's "Still on the Scene"
Redman's "Jam 4 U"
* "Spinning Wheel"
CMBadd's "Slow Motion"
* "Soul Power-Live"
Schooly D's "It's Like Dat"

Super Bad: (King 1971)
* "Super Bad"
3xDope's "I Got It"
CMBadd's "Color Me Badd" (Remix)
Hammer's "Here Comes the Hammer"
KMDee's "I Go to Work"
Kurtis Blow's "I'm True to this"

Hot Pants: (Polydor 1971)
* "Hot Pants"
CMWanted's "Final Chapter"
EB&Rakim's "Paid in Full"
Insane Poetry's "Angel of Death"
Original Flavor's "Give Em Some Wrek"
* "Blues and Pants"
Geto Boys' "Scarface"
Ice-T's "New Jack Hustler"
Masta Ace's "Ain't You Da Masta"
PRock & CLSmooth's "If it Ain't Rough, It Ain't Right"
SLoverC's "Do the James"
Steady B's "Anyway You Want It"
TLC's "Friends"
* "Escapism"
Freddie Foxx's "The Ladies Jam"
Heavy D's "The Overweight Lover's in the House"
Ice-T "Home of the Bodybags"
"Street Killer"
Kris Kross "Warm it Up"
MC Shan "Freedom"
Pete Rock & CLSmooth "Escapism"
Paris "The Days of Old"
Public Enemy "Don't Believe the Hype"
TLC "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg"

Revolution of the Mind: (Polydor 1971)
* "It's a New Day" (Live/Intro)
BDKane's "Calling Mr. Welfare"
Doug E Fresh's "World's Greatest Entertainer"
Lord Finesse's "Isn't He Something?"
Public Enemy's "Who Stole the Soul?"

Soul Classics: (Polydor 1972)
* "Soul Power Pt. 1"
Audio Two's "Build Up Back Up"
BDP's "Poetry"
Das EFX's "Mic Checka"
"Undaground Rappa"
EPMD's "Total Kaos"
Kurtis Blow's "Suckers in the Place"
OPooch's "Ace is a Spade"
Scarface's "Body Snatchers"
Stetsasonic's "Speaking of a Girl Named Suzy"
(Only part 1 is on this album.)

There it Is: (Polydor 1972)
* "Talkin Loud and Sayin' Nothing"
Divine Styler's "Ain't Sayin' Nothin'"
Everlast's "Syndication"
Geto Boys' "Talkin Loud Ain't ..."
Master Ace's "I Got Ta"
Run-DMC's "Beats to the Rhyme"
* "There it Is"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Master Ace's "Simon Says"
Sister Souljah's "State of Accomodation; Why Aren't You Angry?"
Zhigge's "No Time to Fess"
* "Make it Funky"
Audio Two's "Make it Funky"
Craig G's "Droppin' Science"
Ice-T's "Make it Funky"
KMDee's "Funky Funky Wisdom"
* "Public Enemy No. 1"
BNubian's "Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down"
* "I Need Help"
EB&Rakim's "No Omega"

Get on the Good Foot: (Polydor 1972)
* "Get on the Good Foot"
2 Live Crew's "Break it on Down"
3xDope's "From Da Giddy Up"
BDP's "Jack of Spades"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Classic Two's "New Generation"
GMFlash & FFive's "Gold"
Hammer's "Pump it Up"
KMDee's "They Want Money"
Mr. Lee's "Pump that Body" (Remix)
SCCartel's "Neighborhood Jacka"
Stetsasonic's "To Whom it May Concern"
"The Hip Hop Band"
Ten Tray's "Raise Your Fist to ..."
* "I Got Ants in My Pants"
BDKane's "Get Down"
BR&R's "Getting Large"
Cypress Hill's "How I Could Just Kill a Man" (Remix)
Father MC "Dance 4 Me"
Public Enemy's "Don't Believe the Hype"
"How to Kill a Radio Consultant"
Rappinstine's "Scream"

Black Caesar: (Polydor 1973)
* "A Blind Man Could See It"
Coolio's "Sticky Fingaz"
Das EFX's "They Want EFX"
EB&Rakim's ?
Larry Larr's "My Own Style"
Lord Finesse's "Funky Technician"
MMAce's "Hypest from Cypress"
Steady B's "Use Me Again"
{This alblum also contain's "Mama Feelgood" by Lyn Collins.}
* "The Sporting Life"
Scarface "The Pimp"
* "The Boss"
Ice-T's "You Played Yourself"
PRTeacher's "Word to the Wise"
Zhigge's ?
* "Make it Good to Yourself"
CPO's "Somethin' Like Dis"
Kool G Rap's "Play it Again, Polo"
Public Enemy's "One Million Bottlebags"
CPO's "Somethin' Like Dis"
RHKingpen's "Scram!"
Ultramag MC's "You Ain't Real"
* "Chase"
Run-DMC's "The Avenue" (Intro)

Slaughter's Big Rip Off: (Polydor 1973)
* "Slaughter's Theme"
Ice-T's "This One's for Me"
* "Transmograpfication"
Afro's "This Jam's for You"

The Payback: (Polydor 1974)
* "The Payback"
Alkaholics' "Last Call"
BDKane's "Just Rhymin' Wit Da Biz"
Bonny & Clyde's "Homey Don't Play That"
Boss's "Born Gangstaz"
CMWanted's "Final Chapter"
Coolio's "Sticky Fingaz"
Criminal Nation's "Mission of Murder"
Da Lench Mob's "Guerillas in the Mist"
Das EFX's "Brooklyn to T-Neck"
"Hard Like a Criminal"
"They Want EFX"
"Wontu"
En Vogue's "(My Lovin') You're Never Gonna Get It"
EPMD's "The Big Payback"
"Mr. Bozack"
"I'm Mad"
Erick Sermon's "Safe Sex"
Greyson & Jayson's "? Hustler"
Heavy D's "Black Coffee"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
"Wrong N---- to F--- Wit'"
KMDee's "Mo' Better"
Knuckleheadz's "Hed Rush"
LL Cool J's "Boomin' System"
"Straight from Queens"
LProfile's "Comin' Straight ..."
MC Lyte's "Ruffneck"
MC Ren's "Mr. F--- Up"
MC Shan's "Go for Yours ('Cause I'm Gonna Get Mine)"
Mr Lee's "Pump that Body"
PRock & CLSmooth's "For Pete's Sake"
Professor X's "The Definition of a Sissy"
Redman's "Day of Sooperman Lover"
"Blow Your Mind"
RHKingpin's "A Shade of Red"
Shaq's "I'm Outstanding"
Silk's "Happy Days"
Slick Rick's "Slick Rick - the Ruler"
Terminator X's "Buck Whylin'"
Total ft. NBIG's "Can't You See?"
Ultramag MC's "Yo! Black"
"Chorus Line"
Yo-Yo's "Put a Lid on It"
Karyn White's "Hunger"
Wreckx-n-Effect's "Wrecks Shop"
{Can we say, "Over sampled"? This song starts out with a prominent bass/
drum pattern, heard best on "Wrecks Shop," then to the guitar line best
heard on "Homey Don't Play That" and "You're Never ..."}
* "Take Some and Leave Some" ("Payback" intro strings)
D-Nice's "Send this Out"
EPMD's "Mr. Bozack"
Ice Cube's "Bird in the Hand"
"Take Some ..."
Lord Finesse's "Funky on the Fast Tip "
PRock & CLSmooth's "All the Places" (Intro)
Salt N Pepa's "Solo Power (Syncopated Soul)"
* "Stoned to the Bone"
3rd Bass's "Steppin' to the A.M."
Del tFH's "Mistadobalina"
DOC's "It's Gettin' Funky"
Finesse & Synquis's "Soft But ..."
MC Ren's "Same Old S---"
Whodini's "Day to Day"
* "Mind Power"
BR&R's "Stop the World"
D-Nice's "Kick the Science"
"Send this Out"
"And it Don't Stop"
Ice-T's "Mind over Matter"
KMDee's "To the Beat"
Little Shawn's "Hickeys on Your Chest"
Yo-Yo's "Put a Lid on It"
WC & MCircle's "U Don't Work U Don't Eat"
* "Shoot Your Shot"
PRock & CL Smooth's "All Souled Out"
Public Enemy's "Nighttrain"

Hell: (Polydor 1974)
* "Papa Don't Take No Mess"
7A3's "Mad Mad World"
Biz Markie's "The Vapors"
Mary J Blige's "You Don't Have to Worry"
Choice's "HIV Positive"
Janet Jackson's "That's the Way Love Goes"
KMDee's "I'm a Player"
"How Kool Can One Black Man Be?"
{On the verge of being oversample to, this is a personal favorite.
Recognizeable on all of the above.}
* "My Thang"
Heavy D's "We Got Our Own Thang"
JJeff &FPrince's "Brand New Funk"
KMDee's "I'm a Player"
LOTUnderground's "Funky Child"
* "I Can't Stand It (76)"
DJ Mark the 45 King's ?
Everlast's ?
Lord Finesse's "Funky on the Fast Tip"
Schooly D's "Your Worst Nightmare"
WC & MCircle's ?
{Drums with JB saying "Uh, It's So Funky!"}
* "Don't Tell a Lie About Me and I Won't Tell the Truth on You"
LProfile's "Easy Money"
* "Sayin' it and Doin' It"
Schooly D's "Who's Schoolin Who?"

Reality: (Polydor 1975)
* "Funky President"
ATCQuest's "Show Business"
BNubian's "To the Right"
"All for One"
CMoney & Marvelous's "The Mighty Hard ..."
Craig G's "Duck Alert"
Dana Dane's "Little Bit of Dane" (Vocals)
EB&Rakim's "Eric B is President"
Fam-Lee's "She's So Real"
Gang Starr's "Gotta Get Over"
Geto Boys' "Read these Nikes"
Grand Daddy IU's "Sugar Free"
Kid N Play's "Ain't Gonna Hurt Nobody"
King Tee's "E Get Swift"
KRS ONE's "Outta Here"
Kurtis Blow's "Still on the Scene"
Heavy D's "Gyrlz, They Love Me"
"We Got Our Own Thang"
Ice Cube's "Horny Lil' Devil"
"Jackin' 4 Beats"
JJeff & FPrince's "Jazzy's n the House"
Lord Finesse's "Hey! Look at Shorty"
LProfile's "Easy Money"
NBNature's "Guard Your Grill"
"Hip Hop Hooray"
Nice & Smooth's "Sex, Sex, Sex"
PRock & CL Smooth's "Skinz"
"Anger in the Nation"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Shake Your Thing"
Schooly D's "Sometimes It's Got"
Silk X Leather's "The Woman in Me"
Stetsasonic's "Uda Man"
Ten Tray's "I Convey!"
Terminator X's "Vendetta"
Ultramag MC's "I Like Your Style"
{Another overused beat, you can hear this one best on "Shake Your Thing"
and "To the Right"}
* "All for One"
BNubian's "All for One"

Everybody's Doin' the Hustle and Dead on the Double Bump: (Polydor 1975)
* "Your Love"
BDP's "The Kenny Parker Show"

Hot!: (Polydor 1976)
* "Hot (I Need to Be Love, Love Loved)"
AtLaw's "Livin Like Hustlers"
David Bowie's "Fame"
Downtown Science's "Fat Shout"
Ice Cube's "Alive on Arrival"
Steady B's "Attitude Problem"

Get Up Offa that Thing: (Polydor 1976)
* "Get Up Offa that Thing"
CEO's "Here We Go Again"
Hengee & Evil E's "Lil Trig Fat Mix"
Ice-T's Killing Fields"
Schooly D's "How a Black Man Feels"
Public Enemy's "Rebel Without a Pause"
WC & MCircle's "Get on Up on that Funk"

Mutha's Nature: (Polydor 1977)
* "Give Me Some Skin"
SCCartel's "Pops Was a Rolla"

Body Heat: (Polydor 1978)
* "Body Heat"
Greg Osby's "Flow to the Underground"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Part One"
* "Can I Get Some"
Stetsasonic's "Getto is the ..."

Jam 1980's: (Polydor 1978)
* "The Spank"
Tupac's "Trapped"

In the Jungle Groove: (Polydor 1986)
* "It's a New Day"
EPMD's "Gold Digger"
* "Give it Up or Turnit a Loose" (Remix)
BR&R's "Act Like You Know"
CEO's "House Time, Any Time"
Def Jef's "Poet with Soul"
Doug E Fresh's "Guess Who?"
Everlast's "Syndicate Soldier"
Freddie Foxx's "The Master"
Gang Starr's "Gotch U"
Ice-T's "Power"
IHoodlum's "Keep Striving"
Kurtis Blow's "Back By Popular Demand"
NWA's "100 Miles and Runnin'"
Paris's "Wretched"
Professor Griff's "Pass the Ammo"
Public Enemy's "Burn Hollywood Burn"
"Welcome to the Terrordome"
Rob Base's "Creation"
Schooly D's "Who's Schoolin' Who?"
Sister Souljah's "The Hate that Hate Produced"
Steady B's "Let the Hustlers Play"
Tone Loc's "Freaky Behavior"
Trey Lewd's "Hoodlums Hoo Ride"
Twin Hype's "Tales of the Twins"
YBT's "Loud and Hard to Hit"
{Originally released on Sex Machine with overdubbed audience.}
* "I Got to Move"
Cypress Hill's "How I Could Just Kill a Man" (Remix)
* "Funky Drummer"
2 Live Crew's "Coolin'"
AtLaw's "Untouchables"
BDKane's "Mortal Combat"
BDP's "South Bronx"
Beastie Boys's "Shadrach"
Biz Markie's "Spring Again"
BR&R's "Stop the World"
Breeze's "Great Big Freak"
James Brown's "She Looks All Types A' Good"
BWP's "A Different Category"
Choice's "Bad A-- B----"
Chubb Rock's "Bump the Floor"
"Talkin' Loud, Ain't Sayin' Jack"
CMoney & Marvelous's "Drawers"
CMWanted's "Wanted"
"Final Chapter"
Convicts's "I Like Boning"
CPO's "Flow to the Rhythm"
Criminal Nation's "I'm Rollin'"
"Insane"
"It's a Black Thing"
"The Right Crowd"
De La Soul's "Oodles of O's"
Derek B's "Down Down"
DOC's "Let the Bass Go"
Dr Dre's "Let Me Ride"
Eazy-E's "We Want Eazy" (Remix)
EB&Rakim's "Relax with Pep"
"Lyrics of Fury"
Enigma's "Carly's Song"
Father MC's "Ain't it Funky"
Freddie Foxx's "F. F. is Here"
FYCannibals' "I'm Not the Man I Used to Be"
Gang Starr's "The Illest Brother"
"2 deep"
Geto Boys's "Read These Nikes"
"Mind of a Lunatic"
Guy's "I Like" (Remix)
Heavy D's "We Got Our Own Thang" (Remix?)
Hi-C's "Take a Ride"
HWA's "Trick is a Trick"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
"Endangered Species"
Ice-T's "OG Original Gangster"
"I Ain't New Ta This"
"Radio Suckers"
Jaz's "The Originators"
JJeff & FPrince's "Pump Up the Bass"
"Hip Hop Dancer's Theme"
"Magnificent JJ"
Kid N Play's "Foreplay"
"Slippin'"
King Sun's "King Sun with the Sword"
KMDee's "Bad, Bad, Bad"
"Knowledge is King"
"I'm Blowing Up"
Kool G Rap's "It's a Demo"
"Butcher Shop"
Kris Kross's "Jump"
"Lil' Boys in Da Hood"
KRS-ONE's "Outta Here"
LL Cool J's "Boomin' System"
"Mama Said Knock You Out"
"Jack the Ripper"
"Nitro"
"Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?"
LONSchool's "Teachers, Don't Teach Us Nonsense"
"Sobb Story"
LProfile's "Make Room for ..."
MC Smooth's "Blow the Whistle"
George Michael's "Waiting for that Day / You Can't Always Get ..."
MC Shan's "So Def"
Michel'le's "No More Lies"
MMAce's "River Cubano"
"Hypest from Cypress"
MMG's "Only the Strong Survive"
NBNature's "Ready for Dem"
"Hot Potato"
Nikki D's "Freak Accident"
"Gotta Up the Ante for the Panties"
No Face's "Half"
NWA's "F--- Tha Police"
"Quiet on the Set"
Sinead O'Connor's "I Am Stretched on Your Grave"
Paperboy's "The Nine Yards"
Paris's "I Call Him Mad"
"On the Prowl"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Go with the Flow"
Prince's "Gangster Glam"
"Gett Off"
"My Name is Prince"
Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise"
"Bring the Noise" (Remix)
"Terminator X to the Edge of Panic"
"She Watch Channel Zero"
"Rebel Without a Pause"
"Fight the Power"
"Hazy Shade of Criminal"
"The Enemy Assault Vehicle Mixx"
Pharcyde's "Officer"
Prince JC's "Kevey Kev is a Dancer with Soul"
"Comin' to Get Ya"
Redman's "Rated 'R'"
Roxanne Shante's "Have a Nice Day" (Remix)
Run-DMC's "Back from Hell"
"Word is Born"
"Run's House"
"Beats to the Rhyme"
Salt 'N' Pepa "Let the Rhythm ..."
SCCartel's "Neighborhood Jacka"
Sir Mix-A-Lot's "No Holds Barred"
Slick Rick's "The Moment I Feared"
Smooth Ice's "I'm Coming"
"Without a Pause"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "One Time for the Rebel"
Stetsasonic's "Sally"
"Speaking of a Girl Named Susie"
"The Hip Hop Band"
STVMovement's "Self Destruction"
Super Lover Cee's "Do the James"
"Let the Drummer ..."
Sweet Tee's "My Beat"
Tim Dog's "Goin Wild in the ..."
TLC's "Shock Dat Monkey"
True Mathematics's "For the Lover in You"
Tung Twista's "No Peace Sign"
Ultramag MC's "Moe Love is on the One and Two"
"Give the Drummer Some"
WC&TMCircle's "Ghetto Serenade"
XClan's "Funk Liberation"
YZ's "Return of the Holy One"
? "Kickin' the Ballistics"
{This was originally released as a single. This version is shorter with
less instrumentation, and the same drum line that eveyone loves to use.
I've listed them all under this version because it's an instrumental, and
while some of DEFINITELY used this version, it is possible that the
single version was used. 114 samples and counting.
* "Get Up, Get into It, Get Involved" (First appearance on album)
BDKane's "Set it Off"
Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science"
BR&R's "Getting Large"
Gang Starr's "Gotch U"
Heavy D's "Flexin'"
Ice-T's "Home Invasion"
Joe Public's "Live and Learn"
Kool G Rap's "Poison"
Kurtis Blow's "Get on Up"
LONSchool's "Connections"
MC Shan's "Juice Crew Law"
Original Concept's "Can You Feel It?"
Prince Johnny C's "Kevey Kev is a Dancer with Soul"
Professor Griff's "Pawns in the Game"
Public Enemy's "Party for Your Right to Fight"
"Welcome to the Terrordome"
"Nighttrain" (Remix)
"Brother's Gonna Work it Out"
"Can't Truss It"
RHKingpen's "Superbad, Superslick"
Rob Base's "Make it Hot"
Schooly D's "Peace to the Nation"
"Get Off Your A-- and Get Involved"
"Godfather of Funk"
Special Ed's "Come On, Let's Move It" (Remix)
Stezo's "Jimmy's Gettin' Funky"
"Put Your Body into It"
Terminator X's "Vendetta...the Big Getback"
Ultramag MC's "Blast from Our Past"

Motherlode: (Polygram 1988), (Collection of previously unreleased songs)
* "You Got to Have a Mother for Me"
DJ Quik's "Tear it Off"
LL Cool J's "Why Do They Call it Dope"
Schooly D's "Gangster Boogie"
* Untitled Instumental
Schooly D's "Godfather of Funk"
WCRAStars' "We're All in the Same Gang"
* "Can I Get Some Help"
Kool G Rap's "Play it Kool"
Schooly D's "Peace to the Nation"
Shyheim's "Here Come the Hits"
* "Baby, Here I Come"
EPMD's "Big Payback"
Insane Poetry's "Angel of Death"

{Problems locating album titles, some may not have appeared on an album
until the middle '80's.}
?: (? ?)
* "Night Train"
KMDee's "How Ya Like Me Now?"
Public Enemy's "Night Train"
WCRAStars' "We're All in the Same Gang"
* "Maybe the Last Time"
Pharcyde's "I'm that Type of N----"
* "Licking Stick- Licking stick"
GMFlash & FFive's "Cold in Effect"
"This is Where You ..."
QLatifah's "Fly Girl"
Roxanne Shante's "Big Momma"
* "Give it Up or Turnit A Loose"
2 Live Crew's "Yo Bad Self"
Schooly D's "It's Like Dat"
* "I Don't Want Nobody to Give Me Nothin' (Open Up the Door,
I'll Get it Myself)"
Guy's "Gotta Be a Leader"
Ice-T's "Power"
K-Solo's "K-Solo Rocks the House"
Bobby Konders's "Bad Boy Dance"
* "Your Love"
BDP's "The Kenny Parker Show"
* "Bring it Up (Hipster's Avenue)"
Gang Starr's "Manifest"
UMC's "See the Man on the Street"
* "There Was a Time"
Downtown Science's "Keep it On"
* "Hot Pants ('Original JBs' press)
CMWanted's "Final Chapter"
EPMD's "Hit Squad Heist"
Tragedy's "The Rebel"
* "Honky Tonk Popcorn"
Beatnuts's "Are you Ready?"
* "Don't Be a Dropout"
RHLTone's "Like a Virgin"

Brown, Jocelyn
One from the Heart: (WB 1987)
* "Love's Gonna Get You Baby"
BDP's "Love's Gonna Get'cha (Material Love)" (Vocals)
Snap's "The Power" (Vocals)

Brown, Peter
12" single release: (T.K. 1977)
* "Burning Love Breakdown"
Ice Cube's "Look Who's Burnin'"
{This is an instrumental of "Do You Wanna Get Funky with Me", which was
a title cut from an album from 1977}

Browne, Tom
Love Approach: (GRP 1981)
* "Funkin 4 Jamaica"
NWA's "To Kill a Hooker"

Burke, Keni
Changes: (RCA 1982)
* "Risin' to the Top"
Mary J. Blige's "Love No Limit" (Remix)
Doug E Fresh's "Rising to the Top"
Grand Puba's "Fat Rat"
JJeff & FPrince's "I Wanna Rock"
LL Cool J's "Around the Way Girls"
OC's "Born 2 Live"
PRock & CLSmooth's "I'll Take You There"
Redman's "How to Roll a Blunt"

Burke, Solomon
I Wish I Knew: (Atlantic 1968)
* "Get Out of My Life Woman"
Dr. Dre "The Chronic (Intro)" (Vocals)
Funkdoobiest's "I'm S------' on 'em"
Ice Cube's "Now I'm Gotta Wet'Cha"
UMC's "Blue Cheese"

Byrd, Bobby
I Need Help: (King 1970)
* "I Know You Got Soul"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
CMW's "Final Chapter"
CPO's "The Movement"
Dream Warriors' "Face in the Basin"
EB&Rakim's "I Know You Got Soul"
Everlast's "I Got the Knack"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
Kool G Rap's "It's a Demo"
Original Flavor's "Give Em Some ..."
Public Enemy's "Party for Your Right to Fight"
"Cold Lampin with Flavor"
Special Ed's "Come On, Let's Move It"
{Of course a classic break, featured prominantly by Eric B.}

Single (Brownstone 1971)
* "Hot Pants ... I'm Coming, I'm Coming, I'm Coming
3rd Bass's "Oval Office"
Afros' "Smokin'"
BDKane's "Raw"
"Raw '91"
"Nuff Respect"
Black Box's "Everybody, Everybody"
James Brown's "Static"
Chubb Rock's "Bonus Beat (Dave & Rob)"
Criminal Nation's "Insane"
BDKane's "Raw"
Das EFX's "Straight from Da Sewer"
Doctor Ice's "The Mic Stalker"
Johnny Gill's "Rub You the Right Way"
Guy's "My Fantasy"
"My Fantasy" (Remix Vocals)
Heavy D's "The Lover's Got What U Need"
Ice Cube's "I Wanna Kill Sam"
"Jackin 4 Beats"
Ice-T's "Fly By"
Ini Kamoze's "Here Comes the Hotstepper"
King Sun's "Pure Energy"
LL Cool J's "It Gets No Rougher"
"How I'm Comin'"
M.A.R.R.S.'s "Pump Up the Volume"
MC Brains's "Everybody's Talking About MC Brains"
Mr Lee's "Get Busy"
Alexander O'Neal's "Every Time I Get Up"
Paris's "Break the Grip of Shame"
"Bush Killa"
Professor X's "Confidentially"
Public Enemy's "Can't Do Nuttin' for Ya Man"
"Caught, Can I Get a Witness?"
"1 Million Bottlebags"
Ready ft World's "World Party"
Roxanne Shante's "Live on Stage"
Run DMC's "What's it All About?"
Salt N Pepa's "Solo Power (Syncopated Soul)
Sir Mix-A-Lot's "One Time's Got No Case"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Honesty"
Spacey B Experience's "Run that Go-Power Thang"
Too Nice's "Cold Facts"
Vanilla Ice's "Cool as Ice"
Alyson Williams's "Sleep Talk"

Cameo
Cardiac Arrest: (Casablanca 1977)
* "Rigor Mortis"
BNubian's "Brand Nubian"
DJ Quik's "Get at Me"
Jungle Brothers's "Feelin' Alright"
Heavy D's "Big Tyme"
* "Funk Funk"
CPO's "The Wall"
T$hort's "In the Trunk"

Secret Omen: (Casablanca 1979)
* "I Just Want to Be"
DJ Quik's "Quik is the Name"

Cameosis: (Casablanca 1980)
* "Shake Your Pants"
Beatie Boy's "Hey Ladies"

Word Up: (Atlantic Artists 1986)
* "Word Up"
Chunky A's "Your Love Makes Me Say Oww!"
* "Strange"
Boogiemonsters' "Strange"
* "Candy"
Ben B Hard's "Candy"
Cameo's "Honey"
* "Back & Forth"
Fu-Schnickens' "Movie Scene"

?: (? ?)
* "Why Have I Lost You?"
AtLaw's "Ballin'"

Captain Skyy
The Adventures of Captain Skyy: (UVI 1979)
* "Super Sperm"
BDP's "Super Hoe" (Vocals)
"You Must Learn" (Vocals)
Public Enemy's "You're Gonna Get Yours" (Vocals)
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Shoop" (Vocals)
{This is the famous vocal bit popularized on "Super Hoe", "Soo-pa Sperm"}

Carter, Clarence
?: (? ?)
* "Back Door Santa"
Run DMC's "Christmas in Hollis"

Jimmy Castor Bunch
Hey Leroy! Your Mama's Calling: (? 1967)
* "Hey Leroy! Your Mama's Calling"
Cash Money's "Where's the Party?"

It's Just Begun: (RCA 1972)
* "Troglodyte"
En Vogue's "Time Goes On" (Vocals)
NWA's "Gangsta Gangsta" (Vocals)
"Days of Way Back" (Vocals)
XClan's "Fire and Earth" (Vocals)
{The popular phrase "Whatta we gonna do right now? Go Back, wayyyy,
back." I know I've forgotten thousands, so send 'em in.}
* "It's Just Begun"
2 Live Crew's "Get Loose Now"
Busy Bee's "Jazzy on the Mix"
EB&Rakim's "Musical Massacre"
Everlast's "Syndicate Soldier"
LProfile's "Funky Song"
Rob Base's "Check This Out"
Ultramag MC's "Make it Happen"
* "E-Man Boogie"
YBT's "Nobody knows Kelli"

Maximum Stimulation: (Atlantic 1977)
* "The Return of Leroy"
Beastie Boys' "Hold it Now, Hit It"

Chakachas
Jungle Fever: (Polydor 1973)
* "Jungle Fever"
2 Live Crew's "Put Her in the Buck"
Antoinette's "I Got an Attitude"
Breeze's "Great Big Freak"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Public Enemy's "Cold Lampin' with Flav"

Chambers Brothers
?: (? ?)
* "Funky"
ATCQuest's "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo"
Schooly D's "Your Worst Nightmare"

Chandler, Gene
?: (Vee Jay 1962)
* "Duke of Earl"
Cypress Hill's "Hand on the Pump" (Vocals)

Change
The Glow of Love: (Warner Bros. 1980)
* "The Glow of Love"
Black Sheep's "Strobelite Honey"

Charmels
?: (? ?)
* "As Long as I've Got You"
WTClan's "Cream"

Chic
C'est Chic: (Atlantic 1978)
* "Chic Cheer"
Busy Bee's "Jazzy on the Mix"

Risque: (Atlantic 1979)
* "Good Times"
BDP's "13 and Good"
Beastie Boys' "A.W.O.L."
Blondie's "Rapture"
Chubb Rock's "Just the Two of Us"
College Boyz's "Underground Blues"
DUnderground's "Doowatchalike"
Father MC's "Everything's Gonna Be Alright"
Fugees' "Refugees on the Mic" (rmx)
Furious Five's "Birthday Party"
GMF&FF's "Adventures on the Wheels of Steel"
JJeff & FPrince's "The Reverend"
JWarfield's "Steppin with ..."(Remix)
Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust"
Spoonie Gee's "Monster Jam"
Sugar Hill Gang's "Rapper's Delight"
"8th Wonder"

Chocolate Milk
Action Speaks Louder than Words: (RCA 1975)
* "Action Speaks Louder than Words"
Geto Boys' "Action Speaks Louder Than Words"
Stetsasonic's "Don't Let Your ..."

C J & Co.
Devil's Gun: (Westbound 1977)
* "We Got Our Own Thing"
Heavy D's "We Got Our Own Thing"

Clinton, George
Computer Games: (Capitol 1982)
* "Atomic Dog"
2 Pac's "Holler if You Hear Me"
AtLaw's "Process of Elimination"
"Why Must I Feel Like Dat?"
BDKane's "Get Down"
"The Beef is On"
Biz Markie's "The Dragon"
Blackstreet's "Booti Call"
CMWanted's "I Don't Dance"
"I Gots to Get Over"
College Boyz's "UndergroundBlues"
DUnderground's "Doowhatchalike"
DUnderground's "Bran Nu Swetta"
Geto Boys' "Homie Don't Play Dat"
Fu-Schnickens' "Let Me Make ..."
"Back Off"
Guy's "D-O-G Me Out"
Hammer's "Pumps and a Bump"
Ice Cube's "The N----- You Love to Hate"
"My Summer Vacation"
"A Man's Best Friend"
"Ghetto Bird"
"2 N the Morning"
"Better Off Dead"
Ice-T's "Funky Gripsta"
Insane Poetry's "How Ya Gonna Reason with a Psycho?"
JJeff & FPrince's "Nuthin' But a Dog"
K-9 Corps' "Dog Talk"
KAM's "Peace Treaty"
KMDee's "Here We Go Again"
Kris Kross's "Party"
K-Solo's "I Can't Hold it Back"
LL Cool J's "Eat 'em Up L Chill"
MC Ren's "Hound Dogz"
Nuttin' Nyce's "Froggy Style"
Paris's "Bush Killa"
"Coffee, Donuts & Death"
PM Dawn's "Comatose"
PRock & CLSmooth's "The Basement"
Public Enemy's "Brothers Gonna Work it Out"
"Can't Truss It"
"Pollywanacraka" (Vocals)
Redman's "Watch Yo Nuggets"
"Bobyahed2dis"
"Winicumuhround"
"Slide and Rock On"
Scarface's "Diary of a Madman"
SCCartel's "South Central ...."
Schooly D's "Where'd You Get that Funk From?"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Who Am I (What's My Name)?"
Stetsasonic's "Speaking of a Girl Named Suzy"
Stezo's "It's My Turn"
Terminator X's "DJ is the Selector"
XClan's "Earth Bound"
{What can be said? Totally oversampled, Usually without originality. If
you ain't heard the original a thousand times, what the hell are you
reading this for? Go Get It!}
* "Man's Best Friend"
JJeff & FPrince's "Ain't Nuthin But a Dog"

You Shouldn't-Nuf Bit Fish: (Captiol 1983)
* "Last Dance"
Erick Sermon's "Hittin' Switches"

Sample Some of Disc, Sample Some of D.A.T.: (AEM 1993)
* "All Night"
Gangstarr's "Blowin Up the Spot"

Coasters
?: (? ?)
* "Shoppin' for Clothes"
Jungle Brothers' "Kool Accordin' 2 a Jungle Brother"
* "Down Home Girl"
Chubb Rock's "Yabba Dabba Doo"
PRock &CLSmooth's "Skinz"

Coffey, Dennis
Evolution: (Sussex 1971)
* "Scorpio"
Geto Boys' "Do it Like a G.O."
LL Cool J's "Jingling Baby"
QLatifah's "Mama Gave Birth ..."
Young MC's "Bust a Move"
* "Getting it On"
Beastie Boys' "What Comes Around"
Everlast's "F--- Everyone"
Public Enemy's "You're Gonna Get Yours"
* "Garden of the Moon"
PM Dawn's ?

Goin for Myself: (Sussex 1972)
* "Ride Sally Ride"
LL Cool J's "Big Ole Butt"

Collage
Get in Touch: (Solar 1983)
* "Get in Touch with Me, Baby"
D-Nice's "Get in Touch in Me"
K-Solo's "The Baby Doesn't ..."
Tragedy's "Live Motivator"

Collins, Lynn
Female Preacher: (People 197?)
* "Think (About It)"
2 Live Crew's "Get Loose Now"
3XDope's "From Da Giddy Up"
7A3's "Goes Like Dis"
Rob Base's "It Takes Two"
"Don't Sleep on It"
Biz Markie's "Road Block"
Boyz II Men's "Motownphilly"
BR&R's "I'm Tired"
Breeze's "Pull a Fast One"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Chubb Rock's "You Bad Chubbs"
"Bump the Floor"
Cookie Crew's "Bad Girls (Rock the spot)"
Kurtis Blow's "I'm True to This"
Daddy Freddy's "The Crown"
Das EFX's "Mic Checka" (Vocals)
DOC's "Lend Me An Ear"
Doctor Ice's "Everybody Get Funky"
Dream Warriors' "Face in the Basin"
EB&Rakim's "Rest Assured"
EPMD "Golddigger"
Finesse & Synquis's "Soul Sisters"
Heavy D's "You Ain't Heard Nuttin Yet"
"Somebody for Me"
"Flexin"
IHoodlum's "Party Pack"
JJeff & FPrince "I Wanna Rock"
K-9 Posse's "Ain't Nothin' to It" (Remix)
King Tee's "Diss You"
KMDee's "Let's Get Serious"
"Time's Up"
"Let's Go"
"I Go to Work"
Kool G Rap's "Trilogy of Terror"
Luther Vandross & Janet Jackson's "The Best Things in life are Free"
MC Brains's "Everybody's Talking about MC Brains"
MC Smooth's "Smooth & Legit"
Mr Lee's "Break Out"
Nice & Smooth's "Gold"
NWA's "Appetite for Destruction"
Paris's "Wretched"
Patra ft Lynn Collins's "Think" (Remake)
Prince JC's "Sunshine"
Public Enemy's "Pollywanacraka"
"911 is a Joke"
"Anti-N----r Machine"
Real Roxxane's "Roxanne's on a Roll"
RHKingpen's "Superbad, Superslick"
Roxanne Shante's "Bad Sister"
"My Groove Gets Better"
"Go on Girl"
Salt N Pepa's "Negro Wit An Ego"
SCCartel's "Ya Getz Clowned"
Schooly D's "Mama Feel Good"
Shango's "You're the One"
Shante's "Shante Gets Wicked"
Silk X Leather's "The Woman in Me"
Sister Souljah's "State of Accomodation: Why Aren't You Angry?"
Skinny Boys' "Get Pepped"
Slick Rick's "Children's Story"
"Mistakes of a Woman in Love with Other Men"
"Slick Rick - the Ruler"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Ain't No Fun" (Vocals)
Steady B's "Nasty Girls"
Stezo's "Talking Sense"
TLC's "Das Da Way We Like Em"
UMC's "Never Never Land"
Yo-Yo's "The Bonnie & Clyde Theme"
{Oversampled (54 X), but not too well known to laymen. Starts out with
the a well-sampled monologue ("Let Me Tell You Somethin'!", see Das EFX).
This also contains the familiar James Brown and Bobby Byrd yelps (They
did the production and instrumentation) in the background of "It Takes
Two" and most of the others, too. Bits of that funky break are best
heard on "Goes Like Dis" and the end of "Children's Story."}
* "Mama Feelgood"
BDKane's "Raw"
Doctor Ice's "Everybody Get Funky"
"Sue Me"
Schooly D's "Mama Feel Good"
Steady B's "Use Me Again"
* "Rock Me Again & Again & Again & Again & Again & Again"
Craig G's "Droppin' Science"
Doctor Ice's "Everybody Get Funky"

James Brown's Funky People: (Polydor 1988)
* "Do Your Thing"
AtLaw's "Another Execution"
CMWanted's "N 2 Deep"
Doctor Ice's "Nobody Move"

Commodores
Machine Gun: (Motown 1974)
* "Machine Gun"
Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies"

Movin' On: (Motown 1975)
* "C E B U"
K-Solo's "Premonition of a ..."

Commodores: (Motown 1977)
* "Easy"
Geto Boys' "Six Feet Deep"
* "Brickhouse"
Yo-Yo's "Mama Don't Take No Mess"

Con Funk Shun
Secrets: (Mercury 1977)
* "Ffun"
DJ Quik's "N----z Still Trippin'"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Skinz"

Cosby, Bill
Hooray for he Salvation Army Band: (Warner Bros 1968)
* "Get Out of My Life Woman"
Black Sheep's "City Lights"
{Yes, the comedian}

Covay, Don
?: (? ?)
* "The Overtime Man"
Fu-Schnickens's "Movie Scene"
* "If There's A Will"
PRock&CLSmooth's "Lots of Lovin'" (Remix)

Curtis, King
?: (? ?)
* "Memphis Soul Stew"
3rd Bass' "Jammie"
Geto Boys' "Geto Soul Stew"
"Trigga Happy N----"

Cymande
?: (Janus ?)
* "Zion I"
Zhigge's "Born Black"

Davis, Tyrone
In the Mood with Tyrone Davis: (Columbia 1979)
* "In the Mood"
Beatnut's "Lick Da P----"
CMWanted's "All for the Money"

Delegation
?: (State 1979?)
* "Oh Honey"
3XDope's "Funky Dividends"
Geto Boys ' "Quickie"

Delfonics, The
?: (? ?)
* "La La Means I Love You"
SCCartel's "U Gotta Deal Wit Dis"

Detroit Emeralds
?: (Westbound ?)
* "Baby Let Me Take You (In My Arms)"
De La Soul's "Say No Go"
Eazy E's "Eazy Duz It"

Devaughn,William
Be Thankful for What You've Got: (Roxbury 1974)
* "Be Thankful for What You Got"
IHoodlum's "Back to Reality "
Massive Attack's "Be Thankful..."
NWA's "8 Ball (Remix)" (Vocals)

Dibango, Manu
Soul Makossa: (Atlantic 1972)
* "Soul Makossa"
CEO's "Here We Go Again"
KMDee's "Pump Your Fist"

Dillinger
CB 200: (Island 1977)
* "Cocaine in My Brain"
Jungle Brothers' "What U Waitin' 4"
Tupac's "Holler if You Hear Me"

Dorsey, Lee
The New Lee Dorsey: (Amy 1966)
* "Get Out of My Life Woman"
Biz Markie's "Just a Friend"
CMWanted's "This is Compton"
Common Sense's "Breaker 1/9"
Cypress Hill's "Hits from the Bong"
Lench Mob's "Inside the Head of a Black Man"
"Capital Punishment in America"
Lord Finesse's "Fat for the 90's"
Spark 950 & TK's "Hello, It's Me"
{Classic hip hop beat that doesn't need tweeking - it's hard on the
original recording. This song is probably the most prolific rap sample
/DJ source when you take into account the 20+ plus remakes. Most of these
are phat despite being from artists ranging from Joe Williams (jazz
orchestra), Bill Cosby (soul/rock band), Allen Toussaint (the writer of
the original who later recorded it as a solo artist), and the Fireballs
(pop/rock group from the 60's). Any album you see with this song is
probably worth checking out if you're mining beats. The only weak
(beatwise) version I've (Matt McClellan) heard was Joe Tex even though
it's on the same album as "Papa Was Too". Even Hendrix has a rare
version.}

?: (? ?)
"Everything I Do is Gohn Be Funky (From Now On)"
CMWanted's "I Mean Biznez" (Vocals)
Lou Donaldson's "Everything I Do is Gohn Be Funky (From Now On)"
* "Soul Mine"
Fu-Schnickens' "Movie Scene"

The Dramatics
Whatcha See is Whatcha Get: (Stax 1971)
*"What You See is What You Get"
BDKane's "Big Daddy vs. Dolemite"
* "Get Up & Get Down"
Coolio's "In the Closet"
Del tFH's "Hoodz Come in Dozens"
Lifer's Group's "Real Deal"
LL Cool J's "Ain't No Stoppin' ..."
Lord Finesse's "Isn't He Something?"
NWA's "Approach to Danger"
Redman's "Time 4 Sum Aksion"
WC & MCircle's "A Crazy Break"

A Dramatic Experience: (Stax 1972)
* "Devil is Dope"
LL Cool J's "Why Do They Call it Dope?"
MC Ren's ?

Dury, Ian and the Blockheads
?: (? 1978)
* "What a Waste"
ATCQuest's "Can I Kick It" (Remix)

Dyke & the Blazers
Funky Broadway: (Original Sound 1967)
* "Broadway Combination"
Dee-Lite's "Vote, Baby, Vote"

Runaway People: (Original Sound 1969)
* "Runaway People"
Ice-T's "Mic Contract"

Greatest Hits: (Original Sound 1969)
* "Let a Woman Be a Woman, and Let a Man Be a Man"
AtLaw's "Menace to Society"
3XDope "From Da Giddy Up"
Jaz's "Ease Up Jaz"
King T's "Diss You"
LONS's "Case of the P.T.A."
Stetsasonic's "Sally"
Tupac's "If My Homey Calls"
{Classic "ting, ting, ting, ting" beat best heard on Tupac (and most
others). It's a short break on the original and is considered somewhat
"hard to catch" for DJ's.}

Earth, Wind & Fire
Open Our Eyes: (Columbia 1974)
* "Devotion"
NBNature's "Rhyme'll Shine On"
Scarface's "Now I Feel Ya"
Yo-Yo's "Can't Play with My Yo-Yo"

That's the Way of the World: (CBS 1975)
* "Shining Star"
De La Soul's "Saturdays"
MC Lyte's "Paper Thin"
Public Enemy's "Prophets of Rage"
Terminator X ft. Whodini's "It All Comes Down to Money"
{Terminator's is a re-creation of the bassline from the original chorus.
Pretty creative.}

All N All: (CBS 1977)
* "Runnin'"
OKonfusion's "Walk into the Sun"
* "Brazilian Rhyme"
Antionette's "Everybody Sing This Song"
Professor X's "The Sleeper Has Awaken"
* "Brazilian Rhyme" (Interlude)
ATCQuest's "Mr. Muhammad"

Gratitude: (CBS 1982)
* "Sun Goddess"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Escape"
* "Sunshine"
ADevelopment's "Natural"

?: (? ?)
* "I Can Feel it in My Bones"
EPMD's "Boon Dox"
* "Let's Groove Tonight"
RHKingpen's "3 2 1 Pump"

Edwards, Dennis
Don't Look Any Further: (Gordy 1984)
* "Don't Look Any Further"
Alkaholics "Daamn!"?
EB&Rakim's "Paid in Full"
Ghetto Boys' "Scarface"
King Sun's "Time to Go"
MC Lyte's "Capuccino"
Scarface's "Mr. Scarface"
"Mr. Scarface: Part III: The Final Chapter"

Emotions
Untouched: (Stax 1971)
* "Blind Alley"
AMG's "Jiggable Pie"
BDKane's "No Half Steppin'"
Mariah Carey's "Dream Lover"
Chubb Rock's "Organizer"
Craig Mack's "Funk Wit Da Style"
Das EFX's "Klap Ya Hands"
"Jussummen"
EPMD's "Brothers from Brentwood LI"
Ed OG's "I'm Different"
King Sun's "Sippin' Brandy"
LL Cool J's "Pink Cookies in a Plastic Bag"
LONSchools "Sound of the Zeekers"
LotUnderground's "Psycho"
Melvin Riley's "I'm Going Through a Thang"
Pharcyde's "4 Better or 4 Worse"
Redman's "Redman Meets Reggie Noble"
RHKingpen's "We Don't Have a Plan B"
Trilogy's "Good Time"
Wreckx-N-Effect's "Rumpshaker"
{Damn, this is a FUNKY keyboard line. Heard unaltered on many: "Rump-
shaker", "No Half Steppin'."}

?: (? ?)
* "You Got the Best of My Love"
3rd Bass' "Brooklyn Queens"
Positive K's "Car Hoppers" (Remix)

Family Vibes, The
Ike Turner Presents the Family Vibes: (United Artists 1973)
* "Scratch"
Y'All So Stupid's "85 South"

Fat Larry's Band
?: (Stax 1977)
* "Down on the Avenue"
Jungle Bros's "All I Think ... "
Ice T's "Freedom of Speech"

Fatback (Band, The)
Wicky-Wacky: (? 1974)
* "Wicky-Wacky"
ATCQuest's "Show Business"

Gigolo: (Spring 1981)
* "Gigolo"
AtLaw's "Mee Vs. My Ego"

Hot Box: (? 1983)
* "Back Strokin'"
AtLaw's "VSOP"
* "Love Spell"
T$hort's "Gotta Get Some Lovin'"

?: (? ?)
* "On the Floor"
AtLaw's "Game Wreck-Oniz-Iz Game"
* "Gotta Learn How to Dance"
Kool G Rap's "Streets of New York"

Faze-O
Ridin' High: (She 1977)
* "Ridin' High"
Black Moon's "Shit iz Real"
Dream Warriors'S "Twelve Sided Dice"
EPMD's "Please Listen to My Demo"
"Funky Piano"
LProfile's "Keep Em Flowin"

Five Stairsteps
?: (? ?)
* "Don't Change Your Love"
ATCQuest's "Jazz"
PRock&CLSmooth's "Can't Front on Me"
* "Danger! She's a Stranger"
Cooly Live's "Possibilities"
* "Ooh Child"
De La Soul "Buddy" (Re-mix)
Nice & Smooth's "Ooh Child"

The Floaters
Float On: (ABC 1977)
* "Float On"
BDKane's "Flow On"
Stetsasonic's "Float On"

Floyd, Eddie
?: (Stax 1967)
* "Knock on Wood"
TTTone's "If I Had No Loot"

Floyd, King
King Floyd: (Cotillion 1973)
* "Groove Me"
BR&R's "You Can't Do Me None"
Diamond's "Confused"
Heavy D's "Silky"
Jaz's "Why?"
KMDee's "All Night Long"
LL Cool J's "A Little Somethin'"
Nice & Smooth's "Perfect Harmony"

Four Tops
?: (? ?)
* "Tearing At..."
LONS's "The Difference"

Franklin, Aretha
I Never Loved a Man (the Way I Love You): (Atlantic 1967)
* "Respect"
Doctor Ice's "Just a Little Bit"
3rd Base's "Gas Face"

Young Gifted and Black: (Atlantic 1972)
* "Young Gifted and Black"
Blackstreets "Physical Thang"
Gang Starr's "92 Interlude"
Heavy D's "On and On"
* "Rock Steady"
EPMD's "I'm Housin'"
Public Enemy's "My Uzi Weighs a Ton"

Freedom
?: (? ?)
* "Get Up and Dance"
BDProduction's "You Must Learn" (Remix)
Grandmaster Flash's "Freedom"
Redhead Kingpin's "It's A Love Thing"
Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock's "Get Up And Have A Good Time"
SWV's "Anything" (Remix)

Fulsom, Lowell
?: ?
* "Tramp"
BNubian's "Step to the Rear"
"All 4 One" (Remix)
Cypress Hill's "How I Just Could Kill a Man"
De La Soul's "Let, Let Me In"
EPMD's "Rampage"
Fu-Schniken's "Back Off"
JJeff & FPrince's "Somethin' Like Dis"
Joe's "I'm in Love"
Otis Redding's "Tramp"
Prince's "7"
Redman's "Time 4 Sum Aksion"
RHKingpen's "All About Red"
MMG's "Skolls"
Nice & Smooth's "Harmonize"
{This baseline in this song sounds almost exactly like the Otis Redding
version.}
* "No Hard Feelings"
JJeff & FPrince's "Somethin' Like Dis"

Funk Inc.
Superfunk: (Prestige 1973)
* "Goodbye, So Long"
Lench Mob's "All on My Nut Sac"

?: (? ?)
* "Better Half"
LONSchool's "Daily Reminder"

Funkadelic
Funkadelic: (Westbound 1970)
* "Mommy, What's a Funkadelic?"
De La Soul's "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa"
Kool G Rap's "Two to the Head"
* "I'll Bet You"
Beastie Boys' "Car Thief"
Common Sense's "A Penny for My Thoughts"
Del tFH's "Dark Skin Girls"
EPMD's "Total Kaos"
"Rap is Outta Control"
Ice-T's "Mind Over Matter"
RRA's "Justice"
* "I Got a Thing, You Got a Thing"
BBDeVoe's "Ghetto Booty"
Ice Cube's "Who Got the Camera?"
PMD's "I'll Wait"
* "Good Ole Music"
Almighty RSO's "Game of Survival"
AtLaw's "Pimp Clinic"
"Another Execution"
Biz Markie's "She's Not Just Another Woman (Monique)"
BR&R's "True Feelings"
CMWanted's "They Still Gafflin'"
College Boyz's "Politics of ..."
Common Sense's "Tricks Up My Sleeve"
DOC's "DOC & the Doctor"
FWesley & tHHorns's "A Blow for Me, a Toot to You" (Remix)
Jaz's "Abnormal"
Tupac's "Young Black Male"

Free Your Mind and Your Ass Will Follow: (Westbound 1970)
* "Free Your Mind"
Kris Kross's "Freak Da Funk"
X-Clan's "Shaft's Big Score"
* "Eulogy and Light"
AtLaw's "Black Triangle"

Maggot Brain: (Westbound 1971)
* "Hit it and Quit It"
Ant Banks's "Hit It"
* "You and Your Folks, Me and My Folks"
Chris Rock's "Your Mama's Got a Big Head"
Insane Poetry's "Manic Depression"
{Phat beat and piano. I know others have used this...}

America Eats Its Young: (Westbound 1972)
* "Loose Booty"
EPMD's "Who's Booty?"
* "Joyful Process"
CPO's "Gangsta Melody"
Eazy-E's "Eazy-Duz-It"

Cosmic Slop: (Westbound 1973)
* "Cosmic Slop"
DOC's "Beautiful But Deadly"
Goats' ?
Ice Cube's "Doing Dumb S---"
* "Nappy Dugout"
Ant Banks's "Hit It"
ATCQuest's "Ham and Eggs"
Ice Cube's "U Ain't Gonna Take My Life"
Poison Clan's "Listen"
Tim Dog's "Goin Wild in the Penile"

Standing on the Verge of Getting it On: (Westbound 1974)
* "Standing on the Verge of Getting it On"
Ice Cube's "Endangered Species" (Vocals)
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Part One"
* "I'll Stay"
De La Soul's "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa"
K-Solo's "Long Live the Fugitive"
* "Jimmy's Got a Little Bit of B---- in Him"
The Rays "I Don't Want to be Alone"
* "Sexy Ways"
Fu-Schnickens' "Props"
* "No Head, No Backstage Pass"
EB&Rakim's "Lyrics of Fury"

Let's Take it to the Stage: (Westbound 1975)
* "Let's Take it to the Stage"
EPMD's "I'm Mad"
* "Get Off Your A-- and Jam"
Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz It"
Ice-T "99 problems"
Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise"
Schooly D's "Get Off Your A-- and Jam"
"King of New York"
Tupac's "Holler If You Here Me"
Ultramag MC's "Make it Happen"
Yo-Yo's "They S--- Don't Stink"
* "This Song is Familiar"
MC Lyte's "All That"
* "No Head, No Backstage Pass"
EB&Rakim's "Lyrics of Fury"
* "Atmosphere"
AMG's "Janine (Part two)"

Tales of a Kidd Funkadelic: (Westbound 1976)
* "Take Your Dead A-- Home"
T$hort's "Hoes"
* "Butt-to-Butt ..."
Public Enemy's "Party for Your Right to Fight"
* "Let's Take it to the People"
ATCQuest's "Everything is Fair"
* "How Do Yeaw View You"
Luke's "Freestyle Joint"

Hardcore Jollies: (Warner Bros. 1976)
* "Hardcore Jollies"
DJ Quik's "Born and Raised in Compton"
* "Adolescent Funk"
Dr Dre's "B------ Ain't S---"

One Nation Under a Groove: (Warner Bros. 1978)
* "One Nation Under a Groove"
AtLaw's "Uncle Sam's Curse"
"4 the Funk of It"
DUnderground's "Tales of the Funky"
EPMD's "So Whatcha Sayin'?"
Hammer's "They Put Me in the Mix"
Ice Cube's "Bop Gun (One Nation)"
LL Cool J's "All We Got Left ..."
SL Fine's "Nothing Can Stop Us ..."
Spice-1's "Peace to My Nine"
Steady B's "Mac Daddy"
XClan's "Earth Bound"
"Funkin' Lesson"
{Overused, a classic.}
* "P.E. Squad"
Scarface's "Strictly for the ..."
* "Maggot Brain (Live)"
RRA's "Think! It Ain't Illegal Yet"

Uncle Jam Wants You: (Warner Bros. 1979)
* "Freak of the Week"
AtLaw's "Call it What You Want"
Breeze's "Great Big Freak"
CMWanted's "Straight Checkn 'em" (Remix)
DUnderground's "Heartbeat Props"
T$hort's "The Dangerous Crew"
* "Knot Just (Knee Deep)"
AtLaw's "Never Missin' a Beat"
"The G in Me"
"Call it What You Want"
Bobby Brown's "Get Away"
College Boyz's "How Ta Act"
De La Soul's "Me, Myself and I"
Dr Dre's "Dre Day"
DUnderground's "Kiss You Back"
EPMD's "Golddigger"
Everlast's "Never Missin' a Beat"
Geto Boys' "Homie Don't Play Dat"
Ice Cube's "How to Survive in South Central"
Keith Murray's "Dip Dip Di"
LL Cool J's "Nitro"
Paris's "It's Real"
PInvestigator's "That's What it Is"
Rappinstine's "Scream"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "G-Funk Intro"
"What's My Name?"
Tone Loc's "Funky Cold Medina"
Yo-Yo "Ain't Nobody Better"
XClan's "Funkin' Lesson"
{Amazingly overused for a song so well-known in it's own right, it is
heard best on "Me, Myself and I."}
* "Holly Wants to Go to California"
DUnderground's "Hollywantstaho"

Connections and Disconnections: (Lax 1981)
* "You'll Like it Too"
EB&Rakim's "I Know You Got Soul"
NWA's "Straight Outta Compton" (Remix)
Slick Rick's "Teacher, Teacher"

Gap Band
Gap Band I: (Mercury 1979)
* "Shake"
DJ Quik's "Shake"
"Mo P----"

Gap Band II: (Mercury 1979)
* "Oops Up Side Your Head"
DJ Quik's "Mo P----"

Gap Band III: (Mercury 1980)
* "Yearning for Your Love"
Nas' "Life's a B----"
* "Humpin'"
College Boyz's "Humpin'"
Paperboy's "Bumpin'"
* "Sweet Caroline"
Yaggfu Front's "Sweet Caroline"

Gap Band IV: (Total Experience 1982)
* "Burn Rubber"
No Face's "Fake Hair Wearin' B----"
* "Outstanding"
Da Brat's ft NBIG's "B-Side"
Ice Cube's "True to the Game"
Kurious's "I'm Kurious"
Paris's "Assata's Song"
"Thinka 'bout It"
Prince Markie Dee's "Swing My Way (Typical Reasons)" (Remix)
R Kelly's "Summer Bunnies"
Redman's "Blow Your Mind" (Vocals)
Rob Base & DJ EZ Rock's "Outstanding"
Shaq's "Outstanding"
Soul IV Real's "Every Little Thing I Do"
{Again, this song is amazingly oversampled for a song that is still so
popular, this is heard best on Rob Base and Ice Cube. (As if you did not
already know.) The 12 inch mixes intro drums are heard on the Soul for
Real and Brat cuts.}

Gardner, Taana
?: (? ?)
* "Heartbeat"
AtLaw's "Mee Vs. My Ego"
De La Soul's "Buddy" (Remix)
Heavy D's "Something Going On"
Ini Kamoze's "Here Comes the Hot Stepper"
Treacherous Three's "Heartbeat"
XClan's "Grand Verbalizer, What Time is It?" (Remix)
* "No Frills"
De La Soul's "Bitties in the BK Lounge"
CPO's "This Beat is Funky"

Gaye, Marvin
What's Going On: (Tamla 1971)
* "Inner City Blues"
Angela Winbush's "Inner City Blues" (Remake)
BDKane's "WGORNS"
BR&R's "True Feelings"
Coolio's "In the Closet"
DOC's "The Formula" (Interpolation)
Ice Cube's "When I Get to Heaven"
K-Solo's "King of the Mountain"
Scarface's "A Minute to Pray"
Spice 1's "Welcome to the Ghetto"
{Personal Favorite, the intro is usually looped into the main beat.}
* "What's Goin On?"
3XDope's "Increase the Peace"
BDKane's "W.G.O.N.R.S."
Jungle Brothers' "What's Going On?"
Scarface's "A Minute to Pray"

Trouble Man Soundtrack: (Tamla 1972)
* "T Plays it Cool"
Everlast's "Pass it On"
JJeff & FPrince "A Touch of Jazz"
Bobby Konders's "The Heads"
QMRage's "Mental Erection"

Let's Get it On: (Tamla 1973)
* "Let's Get it On"
Eazy-E's "8 Ball" (Remix)
MC Ren's "Same Old S---"
Shaggy's "Boombastic"
UTFO's "Let's Get it On"

I Want You: (Tamla 1976)
* "I Want You"
Mary J Blige's "Be Happy"
Ice Cube's "What Can I Do?"

Here, My Dear: (Tamla 1977)
* "Anger"
Fesu's ?

Love Man: (Tamla? 1977?)
* "Got to Give it Up"
Steady B's "Pay Me Baby"

Midnight Love: (Columbia 1982)
* "Sexual Healing"
Doug E Fresh's "Cut that Zero"

Gaynor, Gloria
Love Tracks: (Polydor 1978)
* "I Will Survive"
Method Man's "Release Your Delf" (Vocal Interpolation)

?: (? ?)
* "Walk on By"
Das EFX's "Krazy Wit Da Books"

Graham Central Station
Ain't No Doubt-A-Bout It: (? ?)
* "It Ain't No Thang to Me"
Lench Mob's "Lost in Tha System "
* "The Jam"
Biz Markie's "Pickin Boogers"
Geto Boys's "Mind Playin Tricks on Me"
Insane Poetry's "Six in the Chamber"
Soul II Soul's "Back to Life"
* "People"
Das EFX's "Baknaffek"

Green, Al
I'm Still in Love with You: (Hi 1972)
* "I'm Glad You're Mine"
EB&Rakim's "Mahogany"
* "Love and Happiness"
AtLaw's "G-Rupies Best Friend"

Livin' for You: (Hi 1973)
* "Free At Last"
Mary J Blige's "No One Else"

Fuzzy Haskins
A Whole Nother Thing: (Westbound 1976)
* "Love is Now Forever"
Black Sheep's "To Whom it May Concern"

Hathaway, Donny
Everything is Everything: (Atlantic 1970)
* "Voices Inside (Everything is Everything)
Yo-Yo's "I Can't Take No More"

?: (Atlantic 1970)
* "The Ghetto"
T$hort's "The Ghetto"
* "Valdez in the Country"
Nite-Liter's "Valdez in the Country" (Remake)

Come Back Charleston Blue (SDTRK): (Atlantic 1972)
* "Little Ghetto Boy"
Dr Dre's "Little Ghetto Boy"

Hayes, Issac
Hot Buttered Soul: (Enterprise 1968)
* "Walk on By"
BR&R's 'Rap Life"
CMWanted's "Hood Took Me Under"
NBIG's "Warning"
* "Hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistic"
AtLaw's "Just Kickin' Lyrics"
DJ Quick's "Born and Raised in Compton"
Ice Cube's "I Gotta Say 'Whats Up?'"
King Tee's "Skanless"
Nemesis' "Temple of Boom"
Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos"
{Personal fave, this is a funky beat and piano line best heard on "Born
and Raised..." The piano solo is used for "Black Steel.."}

...To Be Continued: (Enterprise 1971)
* "Look of Love"
3rd Bass's "The Gladiator"
CMW's "N----- Strugglin'"
* "Ike's Mood I"
Alkaholiks' "Mary Jane"
Mary J. Blige's "I Love You"
Biz Markie's "Make the Music"
IHoodlum's "Grand Groove"
Juice Crew's ?
LL Cool J's "Six Minutes of Pleasure" (Remix)
Massive Attack's "One Love"
NBNature's "Knock 'em Out Da Box"
Ron C's "On and On"
{This is one of the most striking samples I've heard. It's got a funky
piano over a hard drum line with a lot of classical instrumentation. Heard
best on "I Love You" and "Six Minutes"}

Shaft: (Stax/Enterprise 1971)
* "Theme from Shaft"
DOC's "Let the Bass Go"
LL Cool J's "Get Down"
Poison Clan's "Dance All Night"
Public Enemy's "Caught, Can I Get a Witness?"
Young MC's "Know How"
* "Walk from Regio's"
Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science"
* "No Name Bar"
DJ Magic Mike's "Feel the Bass 2" (Intro)
DOC's "Let the Bass Go"
E40's "Rat Heads"
Tupac's "Souljah's Story"
* "A Friends Place"
RHLTone's "Give it Up" (Remix)
* "Do Your Thing"
BDKane's "Smooth Operator"
CMWanted's "They Still Gafflin'"
"N2Deep"
Lynn Collins's "Do Your Thing" (Remake)
Dr Dre's "Stranded on Death Row"

Black Moses: (Stax 1973)
* "Ike's Rap III"
Portishead's "Glory Box"

Joy: (Stax 1973)
* "Joy"
BDP's "Poisonous Products"
Biz Markie's "Young Girl Bluez"
CMWanted's "I'm Wit Dat"
CPO's "Ballad of a Menace"
EB&Rakim's "Keep the Beat"
Kool G Rap's "She Loves Me, She Loves Me Not"
Spice 1's "Money or Murder"
Ultramag MC's "Porno Star"
Yo-Yo's "Home Girl Don't Play Dat"
{This is a funky drum line, best heard on "Poisonous Products"}

Tough Guys: (Enterprise 1974)
* "Hung Up on My Baby"
Geto Boy's "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me"
Geto Girlz's "My Man's Playin Tricks on Me"
Ice Cube's "You Know How We Do It"
Scarface's "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me '94"
Second II None's ?
{Personal fave, the Geto Boys got all of the funky music from the first bar.
Just saw a re-release on vinyl.}
* "Buns O Plenty"
CMWanted's "Straight Checkin' Em"

?: (? ?)
* "Soul Girl"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Get on the Mic"

Haywood, Leon
Come and Get Yourself Some: (20th Century 1979)
* "I Wanna Do Something Freaky to You"
Bloods & Crips ?
Dr Dre's "Nothin' But a G Thing" (Interpolation)
Masta Ase's "B Side"
"I.N.C. Ride"
Redman's "Rockafella"
{The into in the song was replayed all throughout "Nothin' but..." The
same bits are used on the others.}

Heatwave
Too Hot to Handle: (GTO 1976)
* "Ain't No Half Steppin'"
BDKane's "Ain't No Half Steppin'"
Doug E Fresh's "Keep Risin to the Top"

Central Heating: (GTO 1978)
* "Mind Blowin' Decisions"
DOC's "Mind Blowin'"
Doug E Fresh & GFCrew's "Keep Risin' to the Top"
Nice & Smooth's "How to Flow" (Vocal Interpolation)
* "Star of the ..."
ATCQuest's "Verses from the Abstract"

?: (? ?)
* "Groove Line"
Public Enemy's "Sophisticated B----"

Hebb, Bobby
Sunny: (? 196?)
* "Sunny"
Smooth's "You Been Played"

Hines, Ernie
?: (? ?)
* "Our Generation"
PRock&CLSmooth's "Straighten it Out"

Honey Drippers
?: (Alaga ?)
* "The Impeach the President"
3XDope's "No Words" (Remix)
Alkaholics's "21 and Under"
Antoinette's "I Got An Attitude"
AtLaw's "Kalifornia"
BDKane's "Smooth Operator"
"Put Your Weight on It"
Biz Markie's "Alone Again"
Blackstreet's "Joy"
Boss's "Recipe of a Hoe"
College Boyz's "F--- All the ..."
"Hollywood Paradox"
Common Sense's "No Defense"
Dana Dane's "Little Bit of Dane"
DPlanets's "Rebirth of Slick"
DOC's "Mind Blowin'"
Dr Dre's "Roach Intro"
Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz It"
EPMD's "Got to Give the People"
"Total Kaos"
En Vogue's "Give it Up Turnit Aloose"
Everlast's "Pass it On"
Goats' "Tricks of the Shade"
Grand Puba's "Check it Out"
Ice Cube's "Gangsta's Fairytale 2"
"Givin Up the Nappy Dugout"
Insane Poetry's "Stalkin with ..."
Jodeci's "Come and Talk to Me" (Remix)
K-Solo's "I Can't Hold it Back"
King T's "Can This Be Real" (Remix)
NBIG's "Ready to Die"
Patti Labelle's "Right King of Lover"
LL Cool J's "Around the Way Girl"
MC Lyte's "10% Dis"
"2 Young for What?"
MC Shan's "I Ran the Game"
Najee's "Laid Back"
NBIG's "Ready to Die"
"Unbelievable"
Nice & Smooth's "One, Two, and One More Makes Three"
Nine's "Any MC"
Raw Fusion's "Rockin' to the PM"
Sounds of Blackness' "I'm Going All the Way"
Soul II Soul's "Jazzie's Groove"
Terminator X's "Juvenile Delinquentz"
Tupac's "Rebel of the Underground"
Ultramag MC's "Funk Radio"
"Dolly and the Rat Trap"
Karyn White's "Hunger"
Christopher Williams's "Lonely"
WTClan's "Wu-Tang Ain't Nothin' to F' Wit"
Yo-Yo's "Letter to the Pen"
XClan's "Raise the Flag"
{I'm sure you've noticed this overused (48 times!) drum line, best heard
on "Check it Out" and "Recipe", but the opening monologue has the famous
bit "Ladies and Gentleman" used on EPMD's cut.
P.S. This is NOT the *Honeydrippers* who had Robert Plant as lead singer
and recorded the cut "Sea of Love."}

Horne, Jimmy Bo
?: (TK 1978)
* "Dance Across the Floor"
CMoney & Marvelous's "The Mighty Hard ..."
Lench Mob's "Freedom Got An A.K."

?: (? ?)
* "Is it in"
JBrothers' "Beyond this World"

Hot Chocolate
Hot Chocolate: (Rak 1975)
* "You Sexy Thing"
Del tFH's "Sunny Meadowz"

?: (? ?)
* "Disco Moore"
3rd Bass's "Come In"
Yo-Yo's "It's a Long Way Home"

Horny Horns, featuring Fred Wesley
A Blow for Me a Toot to You: (Arista 1977)
* "Four Play"
DJ Quik's "Deep"
DUnderground's "Packet Man"
Gang Starr's "Step in the Arena"
Jaz's "The Originators"
Penthouse Players Clique's "FLF"
* "A Blow for Me, a Toot to You"
Candyman's "1-900-Skytalk"
Def Jef's "Black to the Future"
Raw Fusion's "Hoochified Funk"
Sade's "Feel No Pain"
* "Peace Fugue"
Raw Fusion's "Freaky Note"
* "Between Two Sheets"
DJ Quik's "Deep"

Hutch, Willie
The Mack SDTRK: (Motown 1973)
* "Brothers Gonna Work it Out"
Dr. Dre's "Rat-A-Tat-Tat"
LL Cool J's "Farmers Boulevard"
* "Mack Man"
LL Cool J's "Farmers Boulevard"

Impressions
We're a Winner: (ABC ?)
* "We're a Winner"
3xDope's "No Words"
Ali Dee's "What's the Flavor?"
Biz Markie's "I Hear Music"
SoMischief's "Limitations"

Incredible Bongo Band
Bongo Rock: (Pride 1973)
* "Apache"
Breeze's "Watch the Hook"
Busy Bee's "Old School"
Chubb Rock's "3 Men at Chung King"
Freddie Foxx's "Stop Look & Listen"
Geto Boys' "Do it Like a G.O."
GMFlash & FFive's "Freelance"
Hammer's "Turn This Mutha Out" (Remix)
Insane Poetry's "The House that Dripped Blood"
JJeff & FPrince's "Live At Union Square"
KMDee's "Way Way Back"
Kool G Rap's "Men At Work"
LL Cool J's "You Can't Dance"
Run DMC's "What's it All About?"
Sugarhill Gang's "Apache Rap"
Ultramag MC's ?
Young MC's "Watch the Hook"
"Know How"
{Old school anthem. Was revived in the late 80's in sample form.}

Indeep
?: (? ?)
* "Last Night a DJ Saved My Life"
3rd Bass's "Problem Child"
JBrothers' "U Make Me Sweat"

Ingram, Luthor
?: (? ?)
* "If Loving You is Wrong"
College Boyz's "Interluude: Phone Sex"

Instant Funk
Instant Funk: (Salsoul 1979)
* "I Got My Mind Made Up"
De La Soul's "Saturdays"

Isley Brothers
The Brothers: (T-Neck 1969)
* "I Turned You On"
BDKane's "Prince of Darkness"
D-Nice's "25 Ta Life"
Eazy-E's "Eazy Duz-It"
UTFO's "If She Doesn't Want to get Pregnant...."

It's Our Thing: (T-Neck 1969)
* "It's Your Thing"
Lou Donaldson's "It's Your Thing"
Salt 'N' Pepa ft. E.U.'s "Shake Your Thing"

Brother, Brother, Brother: (T-Neck 1972)
* "Work to Do"
Average White Band's "Work to Do" (Remake)
Vanessa Williams's "Work to Do" (Remake)

3 + 3: (T-Neck 1975)
* "That Lady"
Beastie Boys' "Year and a Day"

The Heat is On: (T-Neck 1975)
* "For the Love of You"
College Boyz's "Hollywood Paradox"
Common Sense's "Puppy Chow"
Dr Dre & Ed Lover's "For the Love of You"
Masta Ace's "I. N. C. Ride"
Poison Clan's "Hoe Stories"
Slick Rick's "Sittin' in My Car" (Remix)
* "Fight the Power"
Insane Poetry's "The House that Dripped Blood"
WC & MCircle's "Back on the Scene"

Go for Your Guns: (T-Neck 1977)
* "Footsteps in the Dark"
CMWanted's "Can I Kill It?"
Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day"
Joe's ?
* "Ain't I Been Good to You?"
Boss's "Recipe of a Hoe"
Public Enemy's "Shut Em Down" (Remix)
* "Who's that Lady?"
Beastie Boys' "A Year and a Day"
* "Take Me to the Next Stage"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun ..."

Showdown: (T-Neck 1978)
* "Groove with You"
MC Lyte's "2 Young for What?"
MMAce's "B-Boy in Love"

Between the Sheets: (T-Neck 1983)
* "Between the Sheets"
ATCQuest's "Bonita Appelbaum"
Audio Two's "The Questions"
Rob Base's "Break of Dawn"
Common Sense's "Breaker 1/9"
CDaughter's "We Rollin' Deepa" (Remix)
Da Brat's "Funkdafied"
Heavy D's "Nuttin But Love" (Remix)
Keith Murray's "The Most Beautifullest Thing in This World"
NBIG's "Big Poppa"
NBNature's "Written on Ya Kitten" (Remix)
Underground Kings' "Crampin' My Style"
Vicious's "Nika"
{This beat has picked up popularity over the past few years. Surely a
beat of the moment. Heard well on most of these cuts.}

?: (? ?)
* "Coolin' Out"
Coolio's "Mama, I'm in Love with a Gangsta"

Jackson 5 / Jacksons, The
?: (? ?)
* "This Place Hotel"
Heavy D's "Peaceful Journey"
* "A.B.C."
Heavy D's "Overweighter"
NBNature's "O.P.P."
* "Dancing Machine"
Hammer's "Dancin' Machine"
* "I Want You Back"
Kris Kross' "Jump"
Flex's "Girl, I Was Wrong"

Jackson, Michael
Off the Wall: (Epic 1979)
* "I Can't Help It"
De la Soul's "Breakadawn"
* "Rock with You"
De La Soul's "Cool Breeze on the Rocks"
* "Off the Wall"
Chubb Rock's "Enjoy Ya Self"

Thriller: (Epic 1983)
* "Thriller"
Biz Markie's "Muddfoot"
NWA's "100 Miles and Runnin'"
* "Human Nature"
Nas's "It Ain't Hard to Tell"
SWV's "Right Here" (Remix)
* "I Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
MC Lyte's "Poor Georgie"

Bad: (Epic 1991)
* "I'm Bad"
GMFlash & FFive "The Boy is Dope"
* "Smooth Criminal"
Ice Cube's "Giving Up the Nappy Dug Out"

?: (? ?)
* "Ben"
JJeff & FPrince's "Rock the House"
* "I Wanna Be Where You Are"
MC Lyte's "Poor Georgie"
* "Heartbreak Hotel"
Quo's "Quo Funk"

Jackson, Millie
Live & Uncensored: (Spring 1979)
* "Phuck U Symphony"
Black Sheep's "For Doz that Slept"

?: (? ?)
* "I Created a Monster"
PInvistigator's "Shy Country Girl"

James, Rick
Stone City Band: (Motown 1978)
* "Mary Jane"
BWP's "No Means No"
CMWanted's "Late Night Hype"
Dana Dane's "Rollin' wit' Dane"
Diamond Shell's "Grand Imperial Diamond Shell"
Dr Dre and Ed Lover's "For the Love of You"
EPMD's "Jane"
"Who Killed Jane?"
Kris Kross's "I'm Real"
Kwame's "Don't Wanna Be Your Love Thang"
Y?NV's "Chocolate Tie"

Bustin Out of L7: (Motown 1979)
* "Bustin' Out"
DJ Quik's "Tanqueray" (Vocal Interpolation)
Doug E Fresh's "Bustin' Out"
Keith Murray's "Get Lifted" (Vocals)

Street Songs: (Motown 1981)
* "Give it to Me Baby"
Def Jef's "Give it Here"
Hammer's "Let's Get it Started"
JJeff & FPrince's "All That"
* "Superfreak"
Hammer's "Can't Touch This"

Johnson, Syl
?: (? ?)
* "Different Strokes"
BDP's "Criminal Minded" (Vocal)
BNubians "Try to Do Me" (Vocal)
De La Soul's "The Magic Number" (Vocal)
DOC's "Beautiful But Deadly" (Vocal)
Kool G Rap's "Talk Like Sex"
"F U Man"
King Tee's "At Your Own Risk" (Remix, Vocal)
Kwame's "Only Ewe" (Vocal)
Wu-Tang Clan's "Shame on a N----" (Vocal)
Zhigge's "Toss it Up" (Vocal)
{This is another classic vocal bit used by everybody and their brother.
The intro to this cut has a back and forth vocal routine, where the
female singer laughs, managing to sound a lot like James Brown.
The music is prominately used on "Talk Like Sex.", and on the intro to
"F U Man".}

Jones, Grace
Nightclubbing: (Island 1981)
* "Pull up to the Bumper"
Antoinette's "She Operates around the Clock"

Slave to the Rhythm: (ZTT 1985)
* "Slave to the Rhythm"
ATCQ's "Bonita Applebum" (Re-recording mix)

Jones Girls
?: (? ?)
* "Who Can I Run ..."
LONSchool's "Syntax Era"

Junior
?: (? ?)
* "Mama Used to Say"
Heavy D's "Is it Good to You?"
Kwame's "U Got It"
Warren G's "Do You See?"

Junkyard Band, The
?: (? ?)
* "The Word"
CMBadd's "Thinkin' Back" (Remix)

KC & the Sunshine Band
K.C. & the Sunshine Band: (T.K. 1975)
* "That's the Way"
2 Live Crew's "Face Down, Ass Up"
JJeff & FPrince's "Scream"
* "Get Down Tonight"
Kid 'n' Play's "The Funhouse"
* "Ain't Nothin Wrong"
DPlanets' "Where I'm From"
Soul II Soul's "Feeling Free"
* "What Makes You Happy"
3xDope's "The Greatest Man Alive"
* "I Get Lifted"
BDKane's "Mortal Combat"
BR&R's "Act Like You Know"
DUnderground's "Dowatchalike"
Hi-C's "Skanless Hip-Hop Megamix"
Isis's "Rebel Soul"
Jaz's "Doped Up"
King T's "E Get Swift"
KMDee's "Knowledge is King"
MC Shy D's "Don't Sweat Me"
NWA's "Quiet on Tha Set"
RHKingpin's "Do the Right Thing"
{A popular guitar line used on many songs, the only real audible
difference between this and the Geoge McCrae version is the lack of the
"Gin and Juice" drums.}

Kay Gees
Keep on Bumpin & Master Plan: (Gang Records 1974)
* "Master Plan"
BDKane's "Mister Cee's Masterplan"
Dr Dre's "N---- Wit a Gun"
HoPain's "Who's the Man?"
YZ's "Master Plan"
{"Who's the man with the Master Plan?" 'nuff said}

Kelly, Herman & Life
12" single release: (T.K. 1978)
* "Dance to the Drummer's Beat"
JJeff & FPrince's "Live At Union Square"
LProfile's "How Ya Livin'"
{Music used in transformer scratch.}

Kendricks, Eddie
?: (? ?)
* "Keep on Truckin'"
EPMD's "Underground"
* "A Date in the ..."
JJeff & FPrince's "Shadow Dreams"
* "Intimate Friends"
Common Sense's "A Penny for My Thoughts"

King, Evelyn
Smooth Talk: (RCA 1977)
* "The Show is Over"
Ice Cube's "You Know How We Do It"

?: (? ?)
* "I Can't Stand It"
Alkaholiks' "Flashback"

Knight, Gladys and the Pips
Claudine: (Buddah 1974)
* "Claudine"
Ice Cube's "Look Who's Burnin'"

?: (? ?)
* "The Way the Were"
WTClan's "Can it All Be So Simple"

Knight, Jean
?: (? 1971)
* "Mr. Big Stuff"
Beastie Boys' "Johnny Ryall"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Heavy D's "Mr. Big Stuff"

Kool and the Gang
Kool and the Gang: (De-Lite 1969)
* "Give it Up"
Beastie Boys' "Professor Booty"
CMWanted's "Compton 4 Life"
Deee-Lite's "Deee-Lite Theme"
EB&Rakim's "Don't Sweat the Technique"
Greg Osby's "3-D Lifestyles"
MC Brains's "Everybody's Talkin' ..."
* "Chocolate Buttermilk"
EricB&Rakim's "No Omega"
Heavy D's "Let it Flow"
Master Ace's "Simon Says"
PRock & CL Smooth's "Straighten it Out"
Stetsasonic's "The Hip Hop Band"
* "Let the Music Take Your Mind"
Beastie Boys' "Lay it on Me"
Boss's "Process of Elimination"
Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted"
Ultramag MC's "MC Champion"

Single version?: (De-Lite 1970)
* "Pneumonia"
Ice Cube's "You Can't Fade Me"
Tiger's "Who Planned It"

Live at the Sex Machine: (De-Lite 1971)
* "Who's Gonna Take the Weight?"
ATCQuest's "Oh My God"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
Gang Starr's "Who's Gonna Take the Weight"
Jaz's "A Nation Divided"
Public Enemy's "Louder Than a Bomb"
Stetsasonic's "In Full Gear"

Music is the Message: (De-Lite 1971)
* "Love the Life You Live"
Geto Boyz's "Trigga Happy N----"
Jaz's "A Nation Divided"
Yo Yo's "Make Way for the Motherlode"
* "Soul Vibrations"
ATCQuest's "Scenario" (Remix)

The Best of Kool & the Gang featuring the Penguin: (De-Lite 1971)
* "Kool it (Here Come the Fuzz)"
BNubian's "Slow Down"
Kool G Rap's "Bad to the Bone"(remix)

Live at P.J.'s: (? 1972)
* "N.T."
3rd Bass's "Gladiator"(remix)
Andreas 13's "The Blues"
BDP's "Still No. 1"
BDKane's "On the Move"
BNubian's "Slow Down"
BWP's "Cotex"
CMWanted's "Compton 4 Life"
Da Lench Mob's "Ankle Blues"
De La Soul's "Keepin' the Faith"(remix)
Diamond D's "Best Kept Secret"
DJ Quik's "Amerika's Most Complete Artist"
DJ Mark the 45 King's "Simply Dope"
EPMD's "Brothers from Brentwood, L.I."
Geto Boys "Cereal Killer"
"Damn it Feel Good to Be a Gangster"
Gospel Gangstas' "Vengeance is Mine"
HEAL's "Heal Yourself"
Jungle Brothers' "Book of Rhyme Pages"
"What's Going On?"
K-Solo's "Letterman"
Kris Kross's "Jump"
Lord Finesse's "Praise the Lord"
Master Ace's "As I Reminisce"
MMAce's "Talkapella"
Main Source's "Scratch & Kut"
MC Serch's "Don't Have to Be"
Nas's "It Ain't Hard to Tell"
NWA's "Gangsta Gangsta"
"N----z 4 Life"
Papa Chuk's "Flip the S---"
Penthouse Players Clique's "Explanation of a Playa"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Pete's Sake"
Professor Griff's "Pawns in the Game"
Public Enemy's "B Side Wins Again"
Run DMC's "Back from Hell"(remix)
Shazzy's "Giggahoe"
Shabba Ranks's "The Jam"
Steady B's "Going Steady"
Stetsasonic's "Blood, Sweat and No Tears"
"So Let the Fun ..."
STVMovement's "Self Destruction"
Terminator X's "Can't Take My Style"
Ultramag MC's "Moe Love is on the One and Two"
Warren G's "Runnin Wit No Breaks"
Yo- Yo's "Woman to Woman"
YZ's "Return of the Holy One"
{Personal fave, a timeless beat. Most of these cuts chop up the drums and
bass. Sax solo, flute solo, drum break, etc.. The sax solo has been
completely stripped (because it's phat).}

Good Times: (De-Lite 1972)
* "Good Times"
Cypress Hill's "Feel the Effects"
Ice Cube's "The Product"
QLatifah's "Ladies First"
* "Rated X"
K-Solo's "Spellbound"
QLatifah's "Queen of Royal Badness"
Ultramag MC's "Message from the Boss"

Wild and Peaceful: (De-Lite 1973)
* "Hollywood Swinging"
Terminator X's "The Blues"
T$hort's "Money in the Ghetto"
* "Jungle Boogie"
BWP's "Wanted"
CMWanted's "Compton Cyco"
EPMD's "Cant Hear Nothing But the Music"
"You're a Customer"
"You Gots to Chill"
Ice Cube's "The Product"
Ice-T's "Ricochet"
Insane Poetry's "How Ya Gonna Reason with a Psycho"
"Grim Reality"
Janet Jackson's "You Want This"
PInvestigaters "Mash Up the Mic"
Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome"
Redman's "So Ruff"
"Jam 4 U"
Shadz of Lingo's "Mad Flavas"
Stezo's "Freak the Funk"
{The intro into this well known bass and horn pattern is timeless.}
* "Funky Stuff"
Beastie Boys' "Hold it Now, Hit it"
Gang Starr's "DJ Premier in ..."
K-9 Posse's "No Stoppin or ..."
MC Shan's "Words of a Freestyle"
Monie Love's "Clap Ya Hands ..."
NWA's "Appetite for Destruction"
Stezo's "Jimmy's Gettin' Funky"
Terminator X's "Ain't Got Nuttin' ..."
{One of the noisest jams of the late eighties rap scene.}

Light of the Worlds: (De-lite 1974)
* "Summer Madness"
Coolio's "Mama I'm in Love with a Gangsta"
DPlanets' "Jimmi Diggin Cats"
JJeff & the FPrince's "Summertime"
Gang Starr's "DJ Premier in ..."
PRock & CLSmooth's "What's Next on the Menu"
Ten Tray's "World is a Ghetto"

The Jazz and Soul of Kool and the Gang: (De-Lite 1974)
* "Duji"
Gang Starr "Jazz Thing"

Spirit of the Boogie: (De-Lite 1975)
* "Spirit of the Boogie"
Afro's "Feel It"
KAM's "Peace Treaty"
NBIG's "Friend of Mine"
* "Jungle Jazz" - Remix of "Jungle Boogie"
2 Live Crew's "Hangin Out"
BNubian's "Drop the Bomb"
Hi-C's "Leave My Curl Alone" (Automator Activator Remix)
Jade's "Don't Walk Away"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun Begin"
* "Mother Earth"
3rd Bass's "Steppin' to the AM"

Love and Understanding: (De-lite 1975)
* "Summer Madness (Live)"
Domino's "Do You Qualify?"

In the Heart: (De-Lite? ?)
* "Tonight"
DJ Quik's "Tonight"

? (De-Lite ?)
* "Funky Granny"
Das EFX's "Baknaffek"
* "Funky Man" or "12345678" (whichever is the instrumental version)
EPMD's "Underground"
Zhigge's "Harlem"

L.T.D.
Something to Love: (A&M 1977)
* "Back in Love Again"
Def Jef's "Fa Sho Shot"

Lafayette Afro Rock Band
Voodounon: (Makossa 1974)
* "Hihache"
Angela Winbush's "Treat You Right"
Aimee Mann's "That's Just ..."
Biz Markie's "Nobody Beats the Biz"
Gravediggaz's "2 Cups of Blood"
LL Cool J's "Jinglin' Baby"
NBNature's "Ghetto Bastard"

Lakeside
Fantastic Voyage: (SOLAR 1982)
* "Fantastic Voyage"
Coolio's "Fantastic Voyage"
Gospel Gangstas' "Gospel Gangstas' Voyage"

Last Poets
The Last Poets: (Metrotone 1970)
* "Run, N-----"
NWA's "100 Miles and Runnin'" (Vocals)
Yo-Yo's "Girls Got a Gun"

This is Madness: (Metrotone 1971)
* "True Blues"
Terminator X & Andreas 13's "The Blues" (Vocals)
* "Related to What?"
2 Live Crew's ?
* "Time"
ATCQuest's "Excursions"
* "White Man's Got a God Complex"
Ten Tray's "God Complex"
* "Mean Machine"
M.A.R.R.S. "Pump Up the Volume"

Right On: (Collectables 1989)
* "Die N----!!!"
NWA's "Real N----- Don't Die"

Laws, Debra
Very Special: (Elektra 1981)
* "Very Special"
LONScholl's "Daily Reminder"

Lee, Laura
Single? (Hot Wax? 1972?)
* "Crumbs Off the Table"
D-Nice's "Crumbs on the Table"
Ice Cube's "This is a Man's World"

Lewis, Webster
8 for the '80's: (Epic 1979)
* "Give Me Some Emotion"
Yo-Yo's "Pass it On"

Lightnin Rod
Hustler's Convention: (? 1973)
* "Sport"
Beastie Boys' ?
Ultramag MC's "At the Drop of a Dime"

Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam with Full Force: (? 1985)
* "Can You Feel the Beat"
Twin Hype's "Do it to the Crowd" (Vocal)

?: (? ?)
* "Can I Dedicate"
SoMischief's "Live and Let Live"

Loose Ends
So Where are You: (Virgin 1985)
* "Hanging on a String"
BDKane's "The Lover in You" (Remix)
Masta Ase's "The I.N.C. Ride" (Remix)

Lynn, Cheryl
Cheryl Lnn: (CBS 1978)
* "To Be Real"
JJeff &FPrince "Live At Union Square"
NWA's "Real N-----"
Stetsasonic's "Do You Remember This?"
Whodini's "Now that Whodini's Inside the Joint"

?: (? ?)
* "Baby"
Yo-Yo's "Givin it Up"

Maceo & All the King's Men
Doing Their Own Thing: (House of Fox 1970)
* "Got to Getcha"
BDKane's "Flow On"
Professor Griff's "God Griff on Duty"
Soul II Soul's "Jazzie's Groove"
* "Maceo"
LL Cool J's "Cheesy Rat"
* "Better Half"
Gang Starr's "Form of Intellect"
LL Cool J's "Cheesy Rat"

Maceo & the Macks
Maceo: (People 1974)
* "Soul Power '74"
BDKane's "Get Down"
Doug E Fresh's "Crazy Bout Cars"
LProfile's "How Ya Livin'"
MC Shan's "Words of a Freestyle"
Redman's "Rated R"
Schooly D's "Am I Black Enough for You?"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun ..."
Tonies-Tonyies!'s "In the ..."
* "Parrty"
Doctor Ice's "Word to the Wise"
Gang Starr's "Who's Gonna Take the Weight?"
Ice Cube's "A Gangsta's Fairytale"

Single Release: (People 1974)
* "Cross the Track"
Schooly D's "Where'd You Get that Funk From"
Kid N Play's ?
Stetsasonic's "DBC Let the Music Play"

Mad Lads
?: (Stax ?)
* "Get Out of My Life, Woman"
Biz Markie's ?

Madhouse
8: (Paisley Park 1987)
* "2"
Pharcyde's "Return of the B-Boy"

Main Ingrediant
Euphrates River: (RCA 1974)
* "California My Way"
Da Lench Mob's "Guerrillas in the Mist"

?: (? ?)
* "Magic Shoes"
Main Source's "Faking the Funk" (Vocals)

Mandrill
Just Outside of Town: (Polydor 1973)
* "Mango Meat"
Jungle Brothers' "Straight Out the Jungle"
* "Two Sisters of Mystery"
Public Enemy's "By the Time I Get to Arizona"

Composite Truth: (Polydor 1973)
* "Fencewalk"
Ice Cube's "Jimmy Hatz Commercial"
Schooly D's "King of New York"
Ultramag MC's "Stop Jockin Me"

The Mar-Keys
?: (Stax 1966)
* "Grab This Thing"
Cypress Hill's "Insane in the Membrane"
Grand Puba's "360 Degrees" (SD50s remix)
LSOB's ?
PRock & CLSmooth's "The Creator"

Marie, Teena
It Must Be Magic: (Gordy 1981)
* "Square Biz"
Erick Sermon's "The Hypes"

Mary Jane Girls
Mary Jane Girls: (Motown 1983)
* "All Night Long"
BDKane's "Smooth Operator"
Mary J. Blige's "Mary Jane"
LL Cool J's "Around the Way Girls"
Nice & Smooth's "More and More Hits"
Redman's "Tonight's the Night"
"Can't Wait"

Mason, Barbara
?: (? ?)
* "Give Me Your ..."
EPMD's "Can't Hear Nothing But the Music"

Mason, Vaughn
Single: (Brunswick 1981)
* "Bounce, Rock, Skate, Roll"
ATCQuest's "Pubic Enemy" (Remix)
De La Soul's "Cool Breeze on the Rocks"
PMD's "Swing Your Own Thing"
Redman's "Slide and Rock On"

Mass Production
In the Purest Form: (Cotillion 1979)
* "Firecracker"
2 Live Crew's "Me So Horny"

Mayfield, Curtis
Curtis: (Curtom 1970)
* "Don't Worry If There's a Hell Below (We're All Gonna Go)"
Artifacts' "Notty Headed N-----z"
Del's "Don't Forget"
NWA's "N----- 4 Life"
Stetsasonic's "Heaven Help the M.F.'s"

Superfly: (Curtom 1972)
* "Superfly"
Beastie Boys' "Egg Man"
Cookie Crew's "Come on and Get Some"
Geto Boys' "Do it Like a G.O."
NBIG's "Intro"
* "Pusherman"
Ice-T's "I'm Your Pusher"
Zhigge's "Zhigge Man"
* "Freddie's Dead"
Audio Two's "Many Styles"
Fishbone's "Freddie's Dead" (Remake)
Gang Starr's "Gusto"
Hammer's "That's What He Said"
* "Give Me Your Love"
BDKane's "Get Bizzy"
Mary J Blige's "I'm the Only Woman"
DPlanets' "Nickel Bag of Funk"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Bathtub"
* "Eddie, You Should Know Better"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Gz Up, Hoes Down" (Prelude)

Back to the World: (Curtom 1973)
* "Future Shock"
Cypress Hill's "Something 4 the Blunted"

Sweet Exorcist: (Curtom 1974)
* "Kung Fu"
AtLaw's "Process of Elimination"
CMWanted's "Growing Up in the Hood"
* "Make Me Believe in You"
Gospel Gangstas' ?
Spice 1's "Money & Murder"

Got to Find a Way: (Curtom 1974)
* "Cannot Find a Way"
T$hort's "I Ain't Nothin ..."
* "Mother's Son"
LL Cool J's "Soul Survivor"

Heartbeat: (Curtom 1979)
* "You're Too Good to Me"
Mary J Blige's "Be Happy"
Ill Al Skratch's "I'll Take Her"

?: (? ?)
* "Stone Junkie"
Apache's "Wayz of a Murderah"
EPMD's "Who Killed Jane?"
* "Hard Times"
Casual's "Follow the Funk"
Geto Boys' "Murder after Midnight"
* "Don't Change ..."
Tupac's "Peep Game"

Maze, ft Frankie Beverly
Joy and Pain: (Capitol 1980)
* "Joy & Pain"
Rob Base's "Joy & Pain"

Live in New Orleans: (Capitol '81)
* "Before I Let Go"
CEO's "Hit Me with the Beat"
K-Solo's "Your Mom's in My Bizness"
Steady B's "Use Me"

McCrae, George
Rock Your Baby: (TK 1974)
* "I Get Lifted"
CMWanted's "They Still Gafflin'"
DJ Quik's "Diggin U Out"
Kieth Murray's "Get Lifted"
NBIG's "Respect"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Gin and Juice"
Zhigge's "Born Black"
{A popular guitar line used on many songs, the only real audible
difference between the this version and the KC & the Sunchine Band
version is "Gin and Juice" drum line.}

McCrae, Gwen
Rockin' Chair: (TK 1975)
* "90% of Me is You"
Boss's "Deeper"
Main Source's "Just Hangin Out"

?: (Atlantic 1981)
* "Funky Sensation"
Afrika B'a "Jazzy Sensation"
BDKane's "DJs Get No Credit"
XClan's "Cosmic Ark"

McDonald, Michael
No Looking Back: (Warner Bros 1986)
* "I Keep Forgettin'"
Warren G & Nate Dogg's "Regulate"

McFadden & Whitehead
Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now: (PIR 1979)
* "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now"
BDKane's "Ain't No Stoppin Us Now"
Biz Markie's "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" (Remake)
Kid N Play's "Friendz" (Quick's Mix)

Memphis Horns
Get Up and Dance: (? 1977)
* "Just for Your Love"
LONS's "What's Next?"

Mel & Tim
?: (Stax ?)
* "Groovy Situation"
PRock & CLSmooth's "I Got a Love"

Meters
The Meters: (Josie 1969)
* "Cissy Strut"
DeltFH's "Same Ol' Thing"
Run DMC's "Bob Your Head"
Runaway Slaves' "Booty Mission"
Salt N Pepa's "I Don't Know"
* "Go for Yourself"
Boogiemonsters' "Honeydips in Gotham"
* "Here Comes the Metermen"
BDKane's "Long Live the Kane"
DPlanet's "Black Ego"
Run DMC's "How'd You Do it Dee?"
* "Cardova"
Boss's "Livin Loc'ed"
King T's "Can This Be Real?" (Remix)
NWA's "She Swallowed It"
* "Live Wire"
Gang Starr's "Positivity"
* "Sophisticated Cissy"
BDP's "Essays on BDP-Ism"
* "Ease Back"
Born Jamericans' ?
Grant Green's "Ease Back"
Papa Chuk's "Down and Dirty"

Look-Ka Py Py: (Josie 1970)
* "Look Ka Py Py"
SuperLovers's "Let the Drummer Get Ill"
* "Pungee"
Ice Cube's "Color Blind"
* "Rigor Mortis"
Del tFH's "Same Ole Thing"
* "Thinking"
Heavy D's "Gyrlz, They Love Me"
* "Funky Miracle"
DUnderground's "DFLO Shuttle"
Gang Starr's "Take a Rest"
* "Yeah, You're Right"
CMWanted's "8 Iz Enough"
* "9 Till 5"
Jungle Bros' "It's As Simple ..."
LProfile's "Comin' Straight ..."
* "Dry Spell"
CMWanted's "8 Iz Enough"

Struttin': (Josie 1970)
* "Chicken Strut"
QLatifah's "Wrath of My ..."
* "Liver Splash"
BDKane's "Raw '91"
DX Posse's "We Got it Goin On"
* "Same Old Thing"
CMoney & Marvelous's "The Music Maker"
Del tFH's "Same Ol' Thing"
D-Nice's "And There U Have It"
Jaz's "Doped Up"
PInvestigaters "But She's Not My Gee"
* "Handclapping Song"
ATCQuest's "Clap Your Hands"
Das EFX's "Klap Your Handz"
Del tFH's "Same Ol' Thing"
Gang Starr's "DJ Premier in ..."
Marley Marl's "The Symphony, Pt.II"
Runaway Slaves' "Booty Mission"
* "Tippi Toes"
Illegal's "Ban Da Iggidy"
SuperLovers's "Let the Drummer Get Ill"
Ultramag MC's "Funk Radio"
* "Britches"
Apache's "Hey Girl"
* "Hey, Last Minute"
BDKane's "Long Live the Kane"
LProfile's "Aladdin on a Rampage"
Pharcyde's "On the DL"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Let the Rhythm Run"
Tone Loc's "The Homies"

Funky Miracle: (Charly 1992)
* "Message from the Meters"
3rd Bass' "Merchant of Grooves"
{Not released on an album originally. Single release Josie 1969}

Midnight Star
Planetary Invasion: (Solar 1984)
* "Curious"
EB&Rakim's "I Want to Know What's on Your Mind"
Kurious's "I'm Kurious" (Vocals)

Mighty Ryders
?: (? ?)
* "The Evil Vibrations"
De La Soul's "Saturdays"

Miles, Buddy
Expressway to Your Skull: (Mercury 1968)
* "Train"
Don Cherry's "Apprehension"

Them Changes: (Mercury 1972)
* "Down By the River"
Papa Chuk's "Show Me Some ID"

Mohawks
Single?: (Pama 1968)
* "The Champ"
EB&Rakim's "Eric B is President"
DOC's "Lend me an Ear"
EPMDs "The Big Payback" (Remix)
Guy's "Groove Me"
Hammer's "Pump it Up"
King Tee's "At Your Own Risk" (Remix)
Nice N Smooth's "No Bones" (Remix)
Stetsasonic's "Miami Bass"

Moments, The
?: (? ?)
* "Come on Sexy Mama"
Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day"
Kam's "I Still Got's Luv 4 em'"
Lord Finesse's "Stop Sweating the Next Man"
* "I've Got to Keep on Loving You"
Jungle Bros's "My Jimmy Weighs a Ton"

Monk, T.S.
House of Music: (Mirage 1980)
* "Bon Bon Vie"
AtLaw's "Gs & Macaronies"
Def Jef's "California"
Kris Kross' "Warm it Up"
Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome"

Mouzon, Alphonse
?: (? ?)
* "Poobli"
Black Sheep's "Who's Next"

Mtume
Kiss This World Goodbye: (Epic 1978)
* "Just Funnin'"
Yo-Yo's "Givin it Up"

Juicy Fruit: (Epic 1983)
* "Juicy Fruit"
NBIG's "Juicy"
Warren G's "You Don't See"
Wrecks N Effect's "Juicy"

?: (? ?)
* "Bigger's Theme"
Grand Puba & Kid Capri's "Pack it Up"
KMDee's "I Like it Nasty"

Musical Youth
?: (? ?)
* "Pass the Dutchie"
Public Enemy's "Revolutionairy Generation"

New Birth
?: (? ?)
* "Keep on Doin It"
BDKane's "Stop Shammin'"

Nite-Liters
Morning, Noon, & Nite-Liters: (RCA 1971)
* "Tanga Boo Gonk"
BNubian's "Wake Up (SD Mix)"
* "Funky Doo"
Mad Flava's ?

Different Strokes: (RCA 1972)
* "Buck & Preacher"
Steady B's "Get on Down"

?: (? ?)
* "Valdez in the Country"
Dr Dre's "Lyrical Gangbang"

O'Jays
Back Stabbers: (Philidelphia Internation 1972)
* "Backstabbers"
WC & MCircle's "Dress Code"
* "When the World's at Peace"
Gang Starr's "Jazz Music"

Ship Ahoy: (Philidelphia International 1973)
* "For the Love of Money"
GMFlash & tFFive's "Step Off"
Heavy D's "Money Earnin' Mount Vernon"
Marky Mark's "Money"
QLatifah and Levert's "For the Love of Money/Livin' in the City" (Remake)
Steady B's "Rockin' Music"
Stezo's "Getting Paid"

Survival: (Philadelphia International 1975)
* "Got to Give the People What They Want"
EPMD's "Got to Give the People"
Gang Starr's "Premier & the Guru"
Keith Murray's "Sychosymatic"
Z Rock Crew's "Got to Give the People"

Family Reunion: (Philadelphia International 1975)
* "I Love Music"
Jungle Brothers' "Good Newz Comin'"

O'Neal, Alexander
Hearsay: (Tabu 1987)
* "Sunshine"
JBrothers' "Sunshine"

Ohio Players
Pain: (Westbound 1971)
* "Pain"
Father MC's "I've Been Watching You"
Gang Starr's "Love Sick"
* "Never Had a Dream"
Ice Cube's "Down for Whatever"
* "Players Balling (Players Doin' Their Own Thing)"
Keith Murray's "Escapism"
NWA's "In the Days of Way Back"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Lot's of Lovin'" (Intro)

Pleasure: (Westbound 1972)
* "Laid It"
EPMD's ?
* "Pride and Vanity"
EPMD's "Hardcore"
Fat Joe's "Da Fat Gangsta"
Ice-T's "B-----s 2"
Mary J Blige's "What's the 411?"
Little Shawn's "Say What U Wanna Say"
LONS's "Classic Material"
"Noisy Meditation"
NBNature's "Everyday All Day"
{The unsung jazzy jam that's been used quite a bit in its own right. It
is smooth... Fat bassline best heard on Mary J Blige's cut.}
* "Funky Worm"
2Low's "Send Ya Fa Ya Mama"
3xDope's "Mr. Sandman"
AMG's "Vertical Joyride"
AtLaw's "B.M.L. (Commercial)"
"Black Superman"
Beastie Boys' "Funky Boss"
Bushwick Bill's "Dollars and Sense"
Daddy O's "Funky Worm Outro"
De La Soul's "Me Myself & I"
Dr Dre's "Chronic Intro"
Domino's "That's Real"
Hi-C's ?
Ice Cube's "Wicked"
Insane Poetry's "If Rhymes Could Kill"
Jaz's "A Nation Divided"
JJeff & FPrince's "Boom,Shake the Room"
Jungle Brothers' "Belly Dancing Dina"
Keith Murray's "The Most Beautifullest Thing in the World"*
Kris Kross' "Jump"
"2 Da Beat Ch'yall"
MC Breed's "No Future in Yo' Frontin'"
NWA's "Dopeman"
"Dopeman" (Remix)
"Gangsta, Gangsta"
PMD's "I Saw it Cummin'"
Redman's "Cosmic Slop"
Rumpletilskinz's "Attitudes"
Erick Sermon's "The Ill S---"
SCCartel's "You Want Sum a Dis"*
Terminator X's "Back to the Scene of the Rhyme"
Tim Dog's "Skip to My Loot"
Too $hort's "Sample the Funk"
Yo-Yo's "Letter to the Pen"
XClan's "Xodus"
{Overused, one of the most popular, weird melodies in rap. Re-creating
this is rarely done,}

Ecstasy: (Westbound 1973)
* "I Wanna Know, Do You Feel It"
Black Sheep's "City Lights"
CMWanted's "8 Iz Enough"

Climax: (Westbound 1974)
* "Climax"
T$hort's "It Don't Stop"

Skin Tight: (Mercury 1974)
* "Skin Tight"
Geto Boys' "Talkin' Loud Ain't Sayin' Nothing"
Young MC's "Know How"
"I Let Em Know"

Rattlesnake: (Westbound 1975)
* "Introducing the Players"
AtLaw's "Pimpology 101"

Honey: (Mercury 1975)
* "Love Rollercoaster"
DPlanets' "9th Wonder"
George Clinton's "Dis Beat Disrupts"
MC Shan's "So Def"
* "I Want to Be Free"
T$hort's "I Want to Be Free"
* "Sweet Sticky Thing"
Gang Starr's "Doe in Advance"
Tonies' "Gangsta Groove"

Fire: (Mercury 1975)
* "Fire"
Da Lench Mob's "You and Your Heroes"
UTFO's "Burning Bed"

Contradiction: (Mercury 1976)
* "Who'd She Coo?"
Penthouse Players Clique's "Pimp Lane"

?: (? ?)
Penthouse Players Clique "Intro"
"Outro"

Olympic Runners
?: (? ?)
* "Cou'Cou N Flyin Fish"
BDKane's "Stop Shammin'"

One Way
One Way: (MCA 1979)
* "Pop It"
WC & MCircle's "Ghetto Serenade"

Fancy Dancer: (MCA 1981)
* "Pull/Fancy Dancer"
WC & MCircle's "U Don't Work, U Don't Eat"

Lady: (MCA 1983)
* "Mr. Groove"
De La Soul's "Shwingalokate"
LProfile's "We're in This Together"
Spice 1's ?
* "Don't Stop"
Warren G's "Super Soul Sis"

?: (MCA ?)
* "Cutie Pie"
AtLaw's "VSOP"
Dream Warriors's "And Now the Legacy Begins"
Proper Dos's "Mexican Power"

Otis, Shuggie
?: (? ?)
* "Island letter"
DPlanets' "For Corners"

Page, Gene
Blackula SDTRK: (? ?)
* "Blackula"
KRS-One's "Higher Level"

Pamplemousse
?: (? ?)
* "Gimme What You Got"
Alkaholics' "Daam!"
LONSchool's ?

Parker, Maceo
?: (? ?)
* "Jack's Back"
Runaway Slaves' "Booty Mission"

Parker Jr, Ray
?: (? ?)
* "Let Me Love You"
Danny Boys's "Come When I Call"

Parlet
Pleasure Principle: (Casablanca 1978)
* "Love Amnesia"
Ice Cube's "Steady Mobbin'"

Invasion of the Booty Snatchers: (Casablanca 1979)
* "Help from My Friends"
Del tFH's "Dr. Bombay"
{As usual for Del, this sample is incorrectly listed in the credits.
Go Figure.}

Parliament
Osmium: (Invictus 1970)
* "Little Ole ..."
De La Soul's "Potholes in My Lawn"
* "Come in out of the Rain"
Jungle Brothers' "I'm in Love with Indica"
* "My Automobile"
NWA's "My Automobile"

Up for the Down Stroke: (Casablanca 1974)
* "Up for the Down Stroke"
Nemesis' "Temple of Boom"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Everybody Get Up"
FWesley & tHHorns' "Up for the Down Stroke" (Remake)
* "All Your Goodies"
Boss's "Born Gangstaz"
Poison Clan's "Afraid of the Flavor"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Everybody Get Up"
* "I Can Move You"
AtLaw's "Process of Elimination"

Chocolate City: (Casablanca 1975)
* "Chocolate City"
DOC's "The Grand Finale"
Ice Cube's "I Wanna Kill Sam"
Kool G Rap's "Live and Let Die"
Nemesis' "Temple of Boom"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "He's Gamin' on Ya"
Totally Insane's "Here We Go ..."
* "Big Footin'"
Jungle Brothers' "Tribe Vibes"

Mothership Connection: (Casablanca 1976)
* "P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)"
Del tFH's "Sunny Meadowz"
Dr Dre's "The Roach (Outro)"
Ice Cube's "Say Hi to the Bad Guy"
K-Solo's "Premonition of a ..."
NWA's "1-900-2-Compton"
Paris's "Out of My Life"
Tone Loc's "Don't Get Close"
Redman's "Da Funk"
Terminator X's "High Priest of Turbulance"
Tone Loc's "Don't Get Close"
WCRAStars' "Tellin Time"
Yo-Yo's "Make Way for the Motherlode"
* "Mothership Connection"
AtLaw's "Pimp Clinic"
BWP's "Comin' Back Strapped"
Dr Dre's "Let Me Ride"
DUnderground's "Tales of the Underground"
Eazy-E's "We Want Eazy"
Fila Fresh Crew's "Dunk the Funk"
Run DMC's "Groove to the Sound"
Spice 1's "Young A-- N----"
Sweet T's "On the Smooth Tip"
Tone Loc "The Homies"
Yo-Yo's "Make Way for the Motherlode"
* "Unfunky UFO"
Ice Cube's "Dirty Mack"
* "Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication"
Ice Cube's "How to Survive in South Central"
* "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker (Give Up the Funk)"
Gerardo's "We Want the Funk"
GMFlash & FFive's "Tear the Roof Off the Sucker"
Hammer's "Turn This Mutha Out"
Heavy D's "More Bounce to the Ounce" (Intro)
No Face's "We Wants to F----"
Public Enemy's "Monkey Off My Back"
Schooly D's "Godfather of Funk"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Who Am I (What's My Name?)"
Steady B's "Keeper of the Funk"
* "Night of the Thumpasorus Peoples"
T$hort's "No Love from Oakland"

The Clones of Dr. Funkenstein: (Casablanca 1976)
* "Prelude"
Easy-E's "Prelude"
XClan's "Xodus"
* "Gamin on Ya"
Bloods & Crips' "Shuda Been ..."
Ice Cube's "Us"
WC & MCircle's "Ghetto Serenade"
* "Dr. Funkenstein"
Ed OG's ?
Ice-T's "B------ 2"
No Face's "We Wants to F---"
Scarface's "Lettin' Em Know"
T$hort's "It's Your Life"
* "Getting to Know You"
Breeze's "Watch the Hook"
DOC's "Whirlwind Pyramid"
* "Do that Stuff"
Li'l Shawn's "I Made Love (4 the Very First Time)"
Nice N Smooth's "Funky 4 You"
Yo-Yo's "Mackstress"
* "I've Been Watching You (Move Your Sexy Body)"
NWA's "Don't Drink that Wine (PSA)"

Live: (Casablanca 1977)
* "Swing Down, Sweet Chariot"
Dr Dre's "Let Me Ride"
* "Let's Take it to the Stage - Live"
Ahmad's "Can I Party?"

Funkentelechy vs. the Placebo Syndrome: (Casablanca 1977)
* "Bop Gun"
DUnderground's "Humpty Dance"(Vocals)
Ice Cube's "Endangered Species" (Vocals)
Redman's "The Funk"
* "Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk (Pay Attention- B3M)
Afros' "Better Luck Next Time"
BBDevoe's "Nickel"
Black Sheep's "Have U.N.E. Pull?"
CDaughters "TCD is in the Front"
E-40's "Nuttin A-- N----"
EPMD's "Play the Next Man"
Ice Cube's "Gangsta's Fairytale 2"
"Steady Mobbin'"
"It Was a Good Day (Remix)"
Lench Mob's "Guerillas in the Mist"
NWA's 'N-----4Life"
Schooly D's "Godfather of Funk"
Yo-Yo's 'Westside Story"
"Givin' it Up"
* "Funkentelechy"
Dr Dre's "Dre Day" (Extended)
DUnderground's "Hip Hop Doll"
"Shake and Bake"
Ice Cube's "Doin' Dumb S---"
Schooly D's "Where'd You Get that Funk From?"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun Begin"
* "Placebo Syndrome"
De La Soul's "Shwingalokate"
* "Flashlight"
3xDope's "Make Dat Move"
Ahmad's "Can I Party?"
AtLaw's "Wicked"
"Never Missin' a Beat"
Brand Nubian's "Wake Up (Reprise in the Sunshine)" (Vocals)
Boss's "Born Gangsta"
Criminal Nation's "I'm Rollin'"
De La Soul's "Shwingalokate"
Del tFH's "Sunny Meadowz"
Downtown Science's "Radioactive"
DUnderground's "Arguin' on the Funk"
"DooWatchaLike"
"Rhymin on the Funk"
"Shinin' on the Funk"
"The Danger Zone"
"Sons of the P"
"Body-hats"
Fu-Schnickens' "Star of the Show"
Genius's "True Fresh M.C."
Ice Cube's "The Wrong N---- to F--- Wit'"
"A Man's Best Friend"
Ice-T's "Home Invasion"
Jungle Brothers' "Sunshine" (Vocals)
Kool G Rap's "Operation CB"
Lench Mob's "Guerillas in the Mist"
Masta Ace's "Jeep A-- N----"
MC Ren's "The Final Frontier"
"One False Move"
"Mr. F--- Up"
Public Enemy's "Anti-N----- Machine" (Intro)
"Nighttrain"
Redman's "So Ruff"
"Rockafella"
Run DMC's "Back from Hell"
XClan's "Heed the Words of a Brother"
"Xodus"
{A classic, one of Parliament's best, here we have the incredible Bootsy
Collins on bass and drums.}

Motor Booty Affair: (Casablanca 1978)
* "Motor Booty Affair'
DUnderground's "Sex Packets"
"Packet Reprise"
Willie D's "I'm Going Out Lika Soldier"
* "(You're a Fish and I'm a) Water Sign"
Geto Boys' "Straight Gangstaism"
* "Aquaboogie (A Psychoalphadiscobetabioaquadoloop)"
AtLaw's "Call it What You Want"
Cypress Hill's "Psychobetabuckdown"
Dr Dre's "Dre Day" (Extended)
DUnderground's "Underwater Rhymes"
"No Nose Job"
"Flowin' on the 'D' Line"
"Return of the Crazy One"
En Vogue's "This is Your Life"
Ice Cube's "Dirty Mack"
Ice-T's "The Syndicate"
Lench Mob's "Lost in Tha System"
Luke's "Compton's Cowardz"
Schooly D's "Super N-----"
Thug Life's ?
Too $hort's "Dead or Alive"
WC & MCircle's "Back to the Underground"
{Old school underwater fantasy, first popularized on "Underwater Rhymes."}
* "One of those Funky Things"
EPMD's "Headbanger"
Ice Cube's "I Wanna Kill Sam"
RRA's "Posse Strong"
* "Rumpofsteelskin"
Del tFH's "Sleepin' on My Couch"
"Dr. Bombay"
Ice Cube's "You Can't Fade Me"
* "Mr. Wiggles"
Ice Cube's "Givin' Up the Nappy Dug Out"
Yo-Yo's "Westside Story"
* "Deep"
KMDee's "Pump Your Fist"
Public Enemy's "Revolutionary Generation"

Gloryhallastoopid: (Casablanca 1979)
* "Theme from the Black Hole"
AtLaw's "V.S.O.P."
CMWanted's "I Don't Dance"
DUnderground's "Same Song" (Vocal Interpolation)
Ice Cube's "Steady Mobbin'"
Knuckleheadz "All She Wanted"
Redman "Blow Your Mind" (Remix)
WC & MCircle's "If U Don't Work You Don't Eat"
* "The Big Bang Theory"
AtLaw's "V.S.O.P"
CMWanted "I Don't Dance"
College Boyz's "How Ta Act"
DJ Quik's "Amerika's Most Complete Artist"
Dr Dre's "Dre Day" (Extended)
Geto Boys' "Life in the Fast Lane"
Ice Cube's "Alive on Arrival"
JJeff & FPrince's "Nuthin' But a Dog"
K-Solo's "I Can't Hold it Back"
Paris "It's Real" (Extended Mix)
Redman's "Blow Your Mind"
Yo-Yo's "Westside Story"
WC & MCircle's "If U Don't Work You Don't Eat"
* "Gloryhallastoopid"
Del tFH's "Mistadobalina"
"Sunny Meadows" (Prelude)
* "Colour Me Funky"
AtLaw's "The Harder U R"
"Who Ryde"
Del tFH's "Pissin' on Your Steps"
Dr Dre's "Roach Intro"
DUnderground's "Dope-A-Delic"
WC & MCircle's "Ain't a Damn Thing Changed"
* "The Freeze"
DUnderground's "Wheee!"
Ice Cube's "Look Who's Burnin'"
Kris Kross's "2 Da Beat Chall"

Trombipulation: (Casablanca 1981)
* "Trombipulation"
DUnderground's "Dope-A-Delic"
* "Let's Play House"
Ant Banks's "Sittin on Something Fat"
DUnderground's "The Humpty Dance"
* "Agony of Defeet"
Ice Cube's "How to Survive in South Central"
T$hort's "Step Daddy"
WC & MCircle's "The Break Up"
* "Body Language"
Terminator X's "Wanna Be Dancin'"

Parliaments
Single release: (? ?)
* "I'll Wait"
De La Soul's "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa"
Ultramag MC's "Moe Love on the One and Two"
[This is Parliament before they got P-Funk.}

Pendergrass, Teddy
Life is a Song Worth Singing: (Philidelphia 1979)
* "Close the Door"
BDKane's "In the PJs"
B.U.M.S.'s "Elevate"
CMWanted's "Can I Kill It?"

T.P.: (Philidelphia Internation 1980)
* "Love T.K.O."
Ahmad's "Back in the Day"
CMWanted's "Can I Kill It?"

Perren, Fred
?: (? ?)
* "Easin' In"
Ice T's "High Rollers"

Persuaders, The
?: (Atlantic ?)
* "Thin Line Between Love and Hate"
Kid Frost's "Thin Line"
* "You Musta Put ..."
Heavy D's "Let it Rain"

P-Funk All Stars
Urban Dancefloor Guerillas: (CBS 1983)
* "Pumpin it Up"
Del tFH's "What is a Booty?"
DJ Quik's "Loc'ed Out Hood"
DUnderground's "Rhymin' on the Funk"
Geto Boys, "Homie Don't Play Dat"
XClan's "Funkin' Lesson"

Wilson Pickett
The Exciting Wilson Pickett: (Atlantic 1966)
* "99 1/2 Won't Do"
Yo-Yo's "Cube Gets Played"
* "Something You Got"
BNubian's "Ain't No Mystery"

The Wicked Wilson Pickett: (Atlantic 1966)
* "Mustang Sally"
Ice Cube's "Check Yo' Self"

Hey Jude: (Atlantic 1969)
* "Hey Jude"
Biz Markie's "Dedication"

Wilson Pickett in Philedelphia: (Atlantic 1970)
* "Get Me Back on Time, Engine No. 9"
Breeze's ?
Insane Poetry's "Grim Reality"
Jaz's "Nation Divided"
{The above sample a famous scream, but there were several songs in the
late 80's that used guitar samples and drum breaks from this classic
tune.}

?: (? ?)
* "Hip-Hug-Her"
Ice Cube's "Givin' Up the Nappy Dug Out"
Ol'Dirty Bastard's "Shiimy Shammy Ya"
* "Shameless"
Too $hort's "All My B-----s are Gone"

Pleasure
Accept No Substitutes: (Fantasy 1976)
* "Let's Dance"
DJ Quik's "N----- Still Trippin'"

?: (? ?)
* "Joyous"
Donald D's "Car Chase"

Pointer Sisters,The
Pointer Sisters: (Blue Thumb 1973)
* "Yes, We Can Can"
BDKane's "3 Forties & a Bottle of ..."
Heavy D's "A Better Land"
LONS's "Syntax Era"
MC Lyte's ?
NWA's "8 Ball" (Remix)
PRock & CLSmooth's "Escape" (Outro Drums)

Car Wash Soundtrack: (? ?)
* "You Gotta Beleive"
Ice Cube's "Really Doe"

?: (? ?)
* "Don't it Drive You Crazy"
Gangstarr's "Execution of a Chump"

Prince
For You: (Warner Bros. 1978)
* "Soft & Wet"
Hammer's "Soft & Wet"

Prince: (Warner Bros. 1979)
* "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
Nice & Smooth's "Sky's the Limit"

Purple Rain: (Warner Bros. 1982)
* "When Doves Cry"
Dream Warriors' "Wash Your ..."
MC Hammer's "Pray"
* "Let's Go Crazy"
Black By Demand's "Dearly Beloved"
Eazy-E's 'Eazy Duz It"
Public Enemy's "Brothers Gonna Work it Out"
Underworld's "The Afterworld"

Parade: (Warner Bros. 1986)
* "Kiss"
CEO's "Put the Needle to the ..."
Like This's "Faith In..(mix)"
Meat Beat's "I Got the Fear"
Rodney O & Joe Cooley's "D.J.'s and M.C.'s"
UTFO's "Bits and Pieces"
"Diss"

Around the World in a Day: (Paisley Park 1985)
* "Pop Life"
BDKane's "The Lover in You"
BR&Ron's "Life"
* "Rasberry Beret"
Elisa Fiorillo's "Playgirl"
* "Around the World in a Day"
SUAD's "Lamborghini"

Sign of the Times: (Paisley Park 1987)
* "Housequake"
AtLaw's "G-Rupies Best Friend"
Bomb the Bass's "Beat Dis"
Hiram Bullock's "Way Kool-album"
Chubb Rock's "Talkin Loud ..."
DUnderground's "Flowin' on the D-Line"
Levert's "Rope-a-Dope Style"
MC Hammer's "They Put Me in the Mix"
NBNature's "Let the Ho's Go"
Robert Plant's "Hurtin' Kind"
* "Sign of the Times"
Young Disciples' "Get Yourself"
"YD Theme"
* "If I Was Your Girlfriend"
Nemesis' "Str8 Jackin'"
TX's "Ain't Got Nothing"
Yo-Yo's "Ain't Nobody Better"

The Black Album: (Unreleased, pirated 1987)
* "Bob George"
Kwame's "Skinny Muva"
Madonna's "Like a Prayer" (12mix)
* "Cindy C"
PM Dawn's "A Watcher's Point of View"

Lovesexy: (Paisley Park 1988)
* "Alphabet Street"
ADevelopment's "Tennessee" (Vocals)
Miki Howard's "I've Been ..."
Meat Beat's "God O.D."

Batman: (Warner Bros. 1989)
* "Batdance"
Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Beepers"
* "Electric Chair"
Candyman's "Nightgown"

Diamonds and Pearls: (Warner Bros. 1991)
* "Gett Off"
Da Lench Mob's "Freedom's Got An AK"
Candy Dulfer's "Pick Up the ..."
HoPain's "Jump Around"
Me Phi Me's "Put Sho Hands 2 Getha"
Mucky Pup's "Freakin' At ..."
Sudden Death's "Sleep Around"
X-Clan's "Funk Liberation"

?: (? ?)
* "Irresistable B----"
Candyman's "Nightgown"
* "Sex"
George Clinton's "Hysterical"
* "Thing"
Consolidated's "America Number 1"
* "Let's Work"
MC Hammer's "Work This"
* "She is Always in My Hair" (a non-LP B-Side)
DUnderground's "Sex Packets"

Quarterman, Joe
?: (? ?)
* "I've Got So Much Trouble on My Mind"
Stezo's "Put Your Body into It"

Raydio
Two Places at the Same Time: (Arista 1980)
* "For Those Who Like to Groove"
Slick Rick's "Sittin' in My Car"

Redding, Otis
The Soul Album: (Atlantic 1966)
* "Scratch My Back"
Yo-Yo's "It's a Long Way Home"

King & Queen: (Atlantic 1977)
* "Tramp"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Tramp"
Stetsasonic's "No BS Allowed"

The Immortal Otis Redding: (Atlantic 1968)
* "Hard to Handle"
Marley Marl's "The Symphony"
Public Enemy's "I Don't Wanna Be Called Yo N---a"
* "The Happy Song"
Das EFX's "Dum Dums"

Rene, Wendy
?: (? ?)
* "After Laughter (Comes Tears)"
WTClan's "Tearz"

Reeves, Martha and the Vendellas
?: (? ?)
* "Nowhere to Run"
NWA's "100 Miles and Runnin'"

Rhythm Heritage
?: (? ?)
* "Sky's the Limit"
BDP's "Nervous"

Riperton, Minnie
Perfect Angel: (Epic 1975)
* "Loving You"
Orb's ?
Shanice's "Loving You" (Remake)

Adventures in Paradise: (Epic 1975)
* "Baby, This Love I Have"
ATCQuest's "Check the Rhyme"
Soul IV Real's "Candy Rain"
{This is the jam used for the bass and drums on "Check the Rhyme." Since
it's sped up exactly the same way, Soul IV Real probably got theirs from
Tribe.}
* "Inside My Love"
ATCQuest's "Lyrics to Go"

Roger
The Many Facets of Roger: (Warner Bros. 1981)
* "So Ruff,So Tuff"
Beatie Boy's "Hey Ladies"
Breeze's "Watch the Hook"
CMWanted's "Hit the Floor"
Domino's "Jam"
Ice Cube's "How to Survive in South Central"
"My Summer Vacation"
"What Can I Do?" (Remix)
SCCartel's "South Central ..."
Yo-Yo's "Mama Don't Take No Mess"
* "I Heard it Through the Grapevine"
Black Sheep's "Strobelite Honey" (Remix)
Criminal Nation's "It's a Black Thing"
DJ Quik's "When You're a Gee"
DUnderground's "Shake and Bake"
Keith Murray's "Bom Bom Zee"
Tupac's "Holler If You Hear Me"
X Clan's "Funk Liberation"
* "Do it Roger"
Ice Cube's "Givin Up the Nappy Dug Out"
Tam Tam's "Do it Tam Tam"

Bridging the Gap: (Warner Bros. 1991)
* "You Should Be Mine"
EPMD's "Crossover"

Rose Royce
Care Wash: (? 1976)
* "Daddy Rich"
3rd Bass' "Merchant of Grooves"
"Daddy Rich in the ..."
MC Serch's "Return of the Product"
* "I'm Going Down"
Mary J. Blige's "I'm Goin' Down" (Remake)
Insane Poetry's "Till Death Do Us Part"

?: (? ?)
* "Ooh Boy"
Candyman's "Ooh Boy"
DJ Quik's "Black P----"

Ross, Diana
Diana Ross: (Motown 1976)
* "Love Hangover"
DUnderground's "Freaks of the Industry"
Heavy D's "The Lover's Got ..."

Rushen, Patrice
Straight from the Heart: (Elektra/Asylum 1982)
* "Remind Me"
Heavy D's "Take Your Time"
Tragedy's "Grand Groove"

?: (? ?)
* "Kickin Back"
Organized Konfusion's "Lets Organize"

S.O.S. Band
S.O.S.: (Tabu/CBS 1980)
* "Take Your Time Do it Right"
Black Sheep's "Strobelite Honey"

On the Rise: (Tabu/CBS 1983)
* "Tell Me If You Still Care"
JJeff & FPrince's "I'm Looking for the One ..."

Just the Way You Like It: (Tabu 1984)
* "No One's Gonna Love You"
CDaughters' "Funky Expedition" (Remix)
Spice 1's "Welcome to the Ghetto"

S.O.U.L.
?: (? ?)
* "Peace of Mind"
Main Source's "Peace is Not the Word to Play"
(Another personal fave, this is the bass heavy break at the end.)
* "Burning Spear"
Jungle Brothers' "In Dayz to Come"

Sam and Dave
Hold On, I'm Coming: (Roulette 1966)
* "Hold On, I'm Coming"
Finesse & Synquis's "Straight from the Soul"
Phase N Rhythm's "Swollen Pockets"

Scales, Harvey
?: (? ?)
* "Sun Won't Come Out"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Sun Won't Come Out"

Senay, Eddy
Step By Step: (Sussex 1972)
* "Cameo"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Act Like You Know"

?: (? ?)
* "Reverend Lowdown"
Kool G Rap's "Home Sweet Home"

Shaw, Marlena
?: (? ?)
* "California Soul"
Gang Starr's "Check the Technique"

Simon, Joe
Cleopatra Jones SDTRK: (? 1973)
* "Cleopatra Jones"
CMWanted's "Growin Up in the Hood"

Simtec & Wylie
Gettin Over the Hump: (? 1971)
* "Bootleggin'"
BNubian's "Steady Bootleggin'"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Straighten it Out"

Skull Snaps
Skull Snaps: (? 1973)
* "It's a New Day"
DPlanets's "For Corners"
Erick Sermon's "Hittin' Switches"
Heavy D's "It's a New Day"
Stezo's "It's My Turn"

Slave
Slave: (Cotillion 1977)
* "Slide"
ATCQuest's "Go Ahead in the Rain"
Cameo's "Slyde" (Remake)
Professor Griff's "Pawns in the Game"
Public Enemy's "Can't Truss It"
* "Son of Slide"
Tone Loc's "Next Episode"

Just a Touch of Love: (Cotillion 1979)
* "Just a Touch of Love"
De La Soul's "Keep the Faith"
Isis' "The Power of Myself is Moving"
Kris Kross's "Alright"

Stone Jam: (Cotillion 1980)
* "Watchin' You"
Famous Flames' "Watchin' You"
Snoop Doggy Dogg's "Gin and Juice" (Vocal Interpolation)

Sly and Robbie
?: (? 1987)
* "Boops"
BDP's' "The Bridge is Over"
Shabba Ranks & KRS-ONE's "The Jam"

Smith, O.C.
Hickory Holler Revisited: (Columbia ?)
* "Little Green Apples"
Gang Starr's "Code of the Streets"

Soul II Soul
Keep on Movin': (Virgin 1989)
"Back to Life"
PRTeachers' "Time to Say Peace"
King Tee's "E Get Swift"

Soul Searchers
Soul Searchers: (Sussex 1971)
* "Ashley's Roach Clip"
3rd Bass's "Oval Office"
BR&R's "Out of My Head"
CDaughters "Princess of Poetry"
DJ Mark's "Roach Clip"
Eazy-E's "Gimme that Nutt"
EMF's "Unbelievable"
EB&Rakim's "Paid in Full"
Get the Fist's "Get the Fist"
Geto Boys' "Scarface"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
Kris Kross's "Methods of Dropping Mental"
Milli Vanilli's "All or Nothing"
"Blame it on the Rain",
"Girl You Know It's True"
Nice & Smooth's "Down the Line"
LL Cool J's "Jack the Ripper"
PM Dawn's "Set Adrift on Memory Bliss"
Raw Fusion's "Hang Time"
Run DMC's "Run's House"
Scarface's "Mr. Scarface: Part III: the Final Chapter"
Sweet Tee's "I Got This Feelin"

Soul Survivors
?: (? ?)
* "Expressway to Your Heart"
King T's "Do Your Thing"

Spinners
?: (? ?)
* "Could It Be I'm Falling In Love?"
Candyman's "Melt in Your Mouth"

Staple Singers
Be Altitude: Respect Yourself: (Stax 1972)
* "I'll Take You There"
BDKane's "I'll Take You There"
"Word to the Motherland"
"DJs Never Get Credit"
Eazy-E's "Boyz-N-the-Hood"
Ice Cube's "Givin Up the Nappy Dug Out"
NBNature's "Ghetto Bastard"
Rebel MC's "Just Keep Rockin'"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Let's Talk About Sex"
Steady B's "Analogy of a Black"

Let's Do it Again: (Curton 1975)
* "Let's Do it Again"
Ahmad's "Back in the Day"
Ice Cube's "It Was a Good Day" (Remix)
X-Scape's "Just Kickin It" (Remix)

Stone, Sly or
Sly and the Family Stone
A Whole New Thing: (Epic 1967)
* "Advice"
Public Enemy's "Power to the People"

Dance to the Music: (Epic 1968)
* "Dance to the Music"
Beastie Boys' "Egg Man"
NWA's "Something to Dance To"
QLatifah's "Dance to the Music"

Stand: (Epic 1969)
* "Sing a Simple Song"
ABCreation's "At the Playground"
Ahmad's "Can I Party?"
Alkoholics' "Make Room"
BT & Harmony's "Down 4 My Thing"
BW's "Cotex"
"S--- Popper"
Chub Rock's "Lost in the Storm"
Craig Mack's "That Y'all"
CMWanted's "I Don't Dance"
College Boyz's "UndergroundBlues"
Da King & I's "Krak Da Weasel"
Da Lench Mob's "Buck the Devil"
Das EFX's "Hard Like a Criminal"
"Mic Checka" (Remix)
Domino's "Sweet Potato Pie"
"Long Beach Thing"
"Getto Jam"
Dr Dre's "Deep Cover"
DUnderground's "The Humpty Dance"
"Return of the Crazy One"
E-40's "Nuttin A-- N----"
"Hide n Seek"
Eazy-E's "EZ Does It"
Ed OG's "Skinny Dip"
GMFlash & FFive's "Kid Named Flash"
Group Home's "Supa Star"
Aaron Hall's "Don't Be Afraid"
Adena Howard's "A Freak Like Me"
Ice Cube's "Who's the Mack?"
"Jackin' for Beats"
"Really Doe"
Ice-T's "Ricochet"
Insane Poetry's "How Ya Gonna ..."
JBrothers's "For the Heads At Company B"
"Simple As That"
"J. Beez Comin' Through"
Kam's "Pull Your Hoe Card"
KRS-ONE's "Sound of Da Police"
Li'l Shawn's "I Made Love (4 Da Very First Time)"
LL Cool J's "How I'm Comin'"
"Mama Said Knock You Out"
Lo-Key's "Attention: the Showanda Story"
Marky Mark's "You Gotta Believe"
Me Phi Me's ?
Oaktown 3-5-7's "It's Not Your Money"
Alexander O'Neal's "Love Makes No Sense"
Papa Chuk's "Trunk of Funk"
Paris's "Check it Out ch'all"
Pharcyde's "I'm that Type of N----"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Anger in the Nation"
"For Pete's Sake"
Joe Public's "Live and Learn"
Public Enemy's "Can't Truss It"
"Brothers Gonna Work it Out"
"Get the F--- Out of Dodge"
QMRage's "Key Testimony" (Bassmood Mix)
Ra-Jahnee's "Turn it Up"
Redman's "Time 4 Sum Aksion"
"Blow Your Mind"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Somma Time Man"
Scarface's "Your Ass Got Took"
Erick Sermon's "Stay Real"
Sir Mix-A-Lot's "The Jack Back"
Stetsasonic's "It's in My Song"
Stezo's "Get's into His Move"
Terminator X's "Back to the Scene of the Crime"
TLC's "Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg"
"What about Your Friends?"
"Hat 2 Da Back"
UTFO's "Rough and Rugged"
WC & MCircle's "Behind Closed Doors"
X-Clan's "Funk Liberation"
Yaggfu Front's ?
Yo-Yo's "Mackstress"
{This is one of the funkiest drum patterns ever put on a bridge, and it's
long list of songs confirms it. When the chorus breaks down into that
irresistable drum pattern, Sly laid down a classic. It's current rash of
use started way back with the "Humpty Dance." It seems that this beat gets
used more and more as time goes on. the rest of the song isn't used much,
but the organ was chopped up lovely for "Get the F--- Out of Dodge" and is
barely audible in the background to the "Humpty Dance."}
* "I Want to Take You Higher"
De La Soul's "Saturday's" (Remix)
GMFlash & FFive's "Magic Carpet Ride"
Tina Turner's "I Wanna Take You Higher"
* "Everyday People"
Aretha Franklin's "Everyday People"
ADevelopment's "Everyday People"
Joan Jett & the Blackhearts' "Everyday People"
* "You Can Make it If You Try"
BWProblems' "F--- a Man"
Diamond D's "What Ya Seek"
DJ Quik's "N----- Still Trippin'"
Ice Cube's "The Product" (Vocals)
"Wicked"
"True to the Game"
Ice-T's "New Jack Hustler"
Insane Poetry's "Grim Reality"
Jungle Brothers' "Because I Got It Like That"
King Sun's "Be Black"
"Stunts"
King Tee's "Take Ya Home"
Prince JC's "Me and Baby Brother"
Public Enemy's "Night of the Living Basehead's" (Remix)
Tonies-Tonyies!'s "In the ..."
X-Clan "Xodus"
Yo-Yo's "You Can't Play with My Yo-Yo" (Remix)
{One of the prototype drum sounds for rap, this drum line hits hard.}
* "Stand"
3XDope's "Believe Dat"
7A3's "Coolin in Cali"
KMDee's "Rise 'N' Shine"
Public Enemy's "Who Stole the Soul?"
Scarface's "The Diary"
Sounds of Blackness' "Stand"
* "Don't Call Me N----, Whitey"
Ice Cube's "Horny Little Devil"
Ice-T & Jane's Addiction's "Don't Call Me N----, Whitey"
Schooly D's "Don't Call Me N----"
* "Sex Machine"
Beastie Boys' "Sex Machine"

Greatest Hits: (Epic 1970)
* "Thank You (Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin)"
Age of Chance's ?
Janet Jackson's "Rhythm Nation"
MC Shan's "Got to Be Funky"
Maceo & AtKMen's "Thank You (Fallentinme Be Mice Elf
Agin)" (Remake)
P-Funk All Stars' "Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf
Agin) (Remake)
Schooly D's "Cold Housin the Joint"

There's a Riot Goin' On: (Epic 1971)
* "Family Affair"
DUnderground's "Family of the Underground"
Lalah Hathaway's "Family Affair" (Remake)
Janet Jackson's "On and On"
Madonna's "Family Affair" (Remake)
Shabba Ranks's "Family Affair"
* "Luv 'N' Haight"
Ten Tray's "Madness"
* "Brave & Strong"
Beastie Boys' "Three-Minute Rule"
* "The Asphalt Jungle"
Beastie Boys' ?
* "Poet"
De La Soul's "Description"
Def Jef's "A Poet's Prelude"
Beastie Boys' "3 Minute Rule"
* "Thank You for Talkin' to Me Africa"
Red Hot Chili Pepper's "Thank You for ...?"
WC & the MCircle's "Out on a Furlough"

Fresh: (Epic 1973)
* "If You Want Me to Stay"
AtLaw's "Commercial"
Dana Dane's "Tales from the Dane Side"
DOC's "Comm 2"
Red Hot Chili Peppers' "If You Want Me to Stay"
* "In Time"
Maceo Parker (with FWesley, PWee, & BCollins)'s "In Time" (Remake)

Small Talk: (Epic 1974)
* "Loose Booty"
Beastie Boys' "Shadrach"
Fu-Schickens' "True Fu-Schnick" (Remix)
Larry Larr's "Jazz it Up"

?: (? ?)
* "M'Lady"
Tonies' "My Ex-Girlfriend"
* "Trip to Your Heart"
LL Cool J's "Mama Said Knock You Out"
* "You Caught Me Smilin' (Agin)"
Justin Warfield's "Season of the Vic"
* "Thank You for Takin' to Me Africa"
Public Enemy's "Air Hoodlum"

Supremes
?: (? ?)
* "You Can't Hurry Love"
Icey Jay's "It's a Girl Thing"

Sylvers, Foster
?: (MGM 1973)
* "Misdemeanor"
DOC's "It's Funky Enough"

Tate, Howard
?: (Verve 1968)
* "Look At Granny Run Run"
BNubian's "Allah & Justice"

Tavares
?: (? ?)
* "Bad Times"
DPlanets' "Dial 7"

Temptations
The Temptations with a Lot of Soul: (Gordy 1967)
* "I Know (I'm Losin' You)
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "Change the Style"

Puzzle People: (Motown 1969)
* "I Can't Get Next to You"
Public Enemy's "Night of the Living Baseheads"
Terminator X's "Homey Don't Play Dat"

Psychedelic Shack: (Motown 1970)
* "Psychedelic Shack"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
Public Enemy's "Welcome to the Terrordome"
Terminator X's "Homey Don't Play Dat"

All Directions: (Gordy 1972)
* "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone"
Run DMC's "Papa Crazy"
SCCartel's "Pops Was a Rolla"

Masterpiece: (Motown 1973)
* "Masterpiece"
Ralph Tresvant's "Rated R"

?: (Motown ?)
* "Ball of Confusion"
Eazy-E''s "Eazy Duz It"
* "Runaway Child, Running Wild"
Shazzy's "Keep it Flowin'"

Tex, Joe
Live and Lively: (Atlantic 1968)
* "Papa Was Too"
AtL's "Just Kickin' Lyrics"
Biz Markie's "My Man Rich"
Boss's "Mai Sista Iz a B----"
Common Sense's "No Defense"
"Two Scoops of Raisins"
Dream Warriors's "Journey On"
EPMD's "Jane"
"Jane 3"
"Who Killed Jane"
"Headbanger"
K-Solo's "Premonition of a Black Prisoner"
KRS-ONE's "'P' is Still Free"
Marley Marl's "We Write the Songs"
MC Eiht's "We Come Strapped"
MC Ren's ?
{This is one of those classics that gets the head bobbin'. Once in a
while, it's referred to as the "Jane" beat for obvious reasons. It's
best heard on "Jane" (the drums along with piano that's also heard in
"We Write the Songs") It's sort of a continuation of Lowell Fulson's
"Tramp" (lyrics and style).}

I Gotcha: (Mercury 1972)
* "Give the Baby Anything the Baby Wants"
Kool G Rap's "Letters"
* "I Gotcha"
College Boyz's "Humpin'" (Prelude)
Def Jef's "Give it Here"
Ice Cube's "U Ain't Gonna Take My Life"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "I Gotcha"

Thomas, Rufus
?: (Stax ?)
* "Push & Pull"
K-9 Posse's "Believe in Yourself"
* "Breakdown"
3XDope's "Acknickulous Land"
"Do You Wanna See It"
Eazy-E's "Easier Said than Done"
Jaz's "Ease Up Jaz"
Larry Larr's "Wizzard of Odds"
Stezo's "Going for Mine"
* "Do the Funky Penguin"
Biz Markie's "Biz Dance"
Bobby Konders's "Bad Boy Dance"

Thomas, Timmy
Why Can't We Live Together?: (? ?)
* "Why Can't We Live Together?"
Doctor Ice's "Chillologist"
* "Funky Me"
3rd Bass's "Herbalz in Your Mouth"

Thomas, Tyrone & the Whole Darn Family
?: (? ?)
* "Seven Minutes of Funk"
Alkoholics' "Only When I'm Drunk"
College Boyz's "Underground Blues"
EPMD's "It's My Thing"
GMFlash & FFive's "Super Rappin'"
Kurtis Blow's "Street Rock"

Toussaint, Allen
?: (Reprise ?)
* "Get out of My Life, Woman"
Biz Markie's ?
Slick Rick's "I'm Captive"

Trouble Funk
Drop the Bomb: (Suger Hill 1982)
* "Pump it Up"
LotUnderground's "What I'm After"

Undisputed Truth
?: (? ?)
* "Spaced Out"
Redman's "Journey Throo Da Darkside"

Vandross, Luther
Never Too Much: (CBS 1981)
* "Don't You Know That?"
Black Sheep's "To Whom it May Concern"
Heavy D's "Got Me Waitin'"

?: (? ?)
* "Before I Let Go"
Steady B's "Use Me"

War
All Day Music: (United Artists 1971)
* "Slippin' into Darkness"
PRTeacher's "Rock this Funky Joint"

Love is All Around: (United Artists 1971)
* "Magic Mountain"
De La Soul's "Potholes in My Lawn"
Portishead's "Wandering Star"

The World is a Ghetto: (United Artists 1972)
* "The World is a Ghetto"
King T's "Flauntin'"
* "Cisco Kid"
7A3's "Drums of Steel"

Galaxy: (United Artists 1977)
* "Galaxy"
MMAce's "Mentirosa"

Washington, Tyrone
?: (? ?)
* "Submission"
KRS-One's "Sound Ov da Police"
Showbiz and AG's "Still Diggin'"

Watson, Johnny "Guitar"
Ain't that a Bitch: (Amherst 1976)
* "Superman Lover"
CMWanted's "Compton's Lynchin'"
Das EFX's "Host Wid Da Most-Mix"
Ice Cube's "The Predator"
Just-Ice's "The Desolate One"
Rage's "Afro Puffs"
Redman's "Superman Luva"
"Superman Luva II"
Special Ed's "Ya Wish Ya Could"
WC & MCircle's "U Don't Work ..."
* "Ain't that a B----"
Jemani the Gifted One's "Funk Soul Sensation"
* "I Wanna Ta Ta You Baby"
Redman's "Superman Luva II"

A Real Mutha for Ya: (DJM 1977)
* "A Real Mother for Ya"
CMoney & Marvelous's "A Real Mutha for Ya"
CMWanted's "Compton's Lynchin'"
* "Tarzan"
Shaq's "Shoot Pass Slam"
* "I Wanna Thank You"
JJeff & FPrince's "Twinkle Twinkle"
Redman's "Superman Luva II"
* "Lover Jones"
King T's "Act a Fool"

?: (? ?)
* "I Don't Want to Be a Lone Ranger"
Lord Finesse's "That's How ..."

Wesley, Fred & the J.B.'s
{The JB's recorded under several names, such as Fred Wesley & the JB's,
Fred Wesley & the New JB's.}
Food for Thought: (People 1972)
* "The Grunt"
ABCreation's "Iesha"
CMWanted's "Final Chapter"
Joe Public's "Live and Learn"
MC Shan's "Juice Crew Laws"
Missjones's "Where I Wanna Be Boy"
Pharcyde's "Officer"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Soul Brother No. 1"
Public Enemy's "Night of the Living Baseheads"
"Rebel Without a Pause"
"Terminator X to the Edge of Panic"
Roxanne Shante's "Have a Nice Day"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Break of Dawn"
Erick Sermon's "The Payback II"
Smooth Ice's "I'm Coming"
Steady B's "Hustler Mac"
Terminator X's Vendetta"
Ultra MC's "Ease Back"
{An obscure song protypes the sound that would bring Public Enemy it's
popularity. a horn laden jam, PE chopped it up all over _Nation..._, and
formed a classic noise sound.}
* "Pass the Peas"
De La Soul's "Pass the Plugs"
"Ring Ring Ring"
EB&Rakim's "I Ain't No Joke"
"Move the Crowd"
GMF&FF's "On the Strength"
Heavy D's "The Overweight Lover's in the House"
Shante's "Have a Nice Day"
Stezo's "Talking Sense"
StVMovement's "Self Destruction"
* "Gimme Some More"
CMWanted's "The Final Chapter"
Jaz's "Put the Squeeze on Em"
KMDee's "The Don"
LL Cool J's "It Gets No Rougher"
Public Enemy's "Cold Lampin with Flavor"
"Power to the People"
Stezo's "Talking Sense"
UTFO's "Bits and Pieces"
* "Hot Pants Road"
EB&Rakim's "Move the Crowd"
Public Enemy's "Fight the Power"
Roxanne Shante's "Have a Nice Day"
GMFlash & FFive "On the Strength"

Single Release: (People 1972)
* "Givin Up Food for Funk"
BDKane's "Wrath of Kane"
Doctor Ice's "Nobody Move"
"Word to the Wise"
Geto Boys' "Mind of a Lunatic"
Insane Poetry's "The House that Dripped Blood"
Mau Mau Clan Overlords' ?
Pharcyde's "I'm that Type of N-----"
Ultra MC's "Kool Keith Housing Things"
Zhigge's "Toss it Up"

Doing it to Death: (People 1973)
* "You Can Have Watergate, Just Gimme Some Bucks
& I'll Be Straight"
CMoney & Marvelous's "Wheres the Party At?"
CMWanted's "One Time Gaffled Em Up"
Downtown Science's "If I Was"
Everlast's "Syndication" (Remix) J.B.'s
Geto Boys' "Read These Nikes"
Larry Larr's "Lampin'"
Run DMC's "The Ave"
Special Ed's "The Mission"
STVMovement's "Self Destruction"
WC & MCircle's "U Don't Work, U Don't Eat"
Yo-Yo's "Girl Don't Be No Fool"
Zhigge's "Toss it Up"
* "More Peas"
ADevelopment's "Man's Final Frontier"
Frankie Cutlass's "Puerto Rico"
Cypress Hill's "Phuncky Feel One"
Kris Kross's "The Way of the ..."
MARRS's "Pump Up the Volume"
MC Lyte's "Search 4 Tha Lyte"
Showbiz & AG's "Soul Clap"
Slick Rick's "I Shouldn't Have Done It"
Steady B's "Ego Trippin'"
Stylz's "Bounce"
OKonfusion's "Fudge Pudge"
WC & MCircle's "Behind Closed Doors"

Damn Right I Am Somebody: (People 1974)
* "Blow Your Head" (Intro)
Alkaholiks' "Make Room"
BBDeVoe's "Gangsta"
CMWanted's "Straight Checkin 'em"
"Rhymes Too Funky Pt. 1"
Everlast's "F--- Everyone"
Larry Larr's "Line 2 Line ..."
Public Enemy's "Public Enemy #1"
Schooly D's "Gangster Boogie"
Special Ed's "The Mission"
Terminator X's "Just Wanna Be Dancin'"
"High Priest of Turbulance"
* "Damn Right, I Am Somebody"
3rd Bass's "Pop Goes the Weasel"
Audio Two's "The Nasty"
Geto Boys' "I Ain't with Bein' ..."
Ice-T's "Lifestyles of the Rich and Infamous"
Salt 'N' Pepa's "Let the Rhythm Run"
Schooly D's "Mama Feel Good"
"Livin in the Jungle"
* "Same Beat"
Breeze's "Girls on My Mind"
Coop B's "Rollin Wit the Rough ..."
Doctor Ice's "Fever"
EPMD's "Who's Booty?"
Ice-T's "The Iceberg"
JBrothers "J. Beez Comin' Through"
Run DMC's "The Ave"
* "I'm Paying Taxes, What Am I Buying?"
Doctor Ice's "The Mic Stalker"

Breakin' Bread: (People 1974)
* "Rockin' Funky Watergate"
LProfile's "Pay Ya Dues"
Pharcyde's "4 Better or 4 Worse"
* "I Wanna Get Down"
Ice Cube's "Who's the Mack?"
* "Breakin' Bread"
Freddie Foxx's "Keep Doin it ..."
Schooly D's "Sometimes It's Got ..."

Hustle with Speed: (People 1975)
* "(It's Not the Express) It's the JB's Monaurail"
2 Live Crew's "Hangin Out"
CMoney & Marvelous's "A Real Mutha 4 Ya"
CMWanted's "Final Chapter"
College Boys's "Victim of the Ghetto" (Remix)
EPMD's "Let the Funk Flow"
Ill All Skratch's "Classic S---"
Jaz's "Put the Squeeze on 'Em"
* "Hustle with Speed"
Ultramag MC's "Make it Happen"

Whatnauts
?: (Harlem International 1981)
* "Help is on the Way"
De La Soul's "Ring Ring Ring (Hey Hey Hey)"
Heavy D's "Sex Wit You"

White, Barry
I've Got So Much to Give: (Casablanca 1973)
* "I'm Gonna Love You Just a Little More, Baby"
Beavis & Butthead's "Come to Butthead"
Boss's "Deeper"
CMWanted's "Wanted"
College Boyz's "Politics of ..."
De La Soul's "De La Orgy"
EB&Rakim's "The Rhyme Goes On"
Everlast's "Goodbye"
Freddie Foxx's "I'm Ready"
Kool G Rap's "Edge of Sanity"
MC Shan's "Ain't We Funkin'"
NWA's "One Less B----"
Prince JC's "Searching for ..."
QMRage's "To Be Real"
Rodney O's "DJ's and MC's"
SCCartel's "County Bluz"
Schooly D's "Just Another Killer"
{Again, an extremely popular drum pattern. Flyest use award goes to De
La.}

Stone Gon:(Casablanca 1974)
* "Never, Never Gonna Give You Up"
Ant Banks's "Livin the Life"
Ill Al Scratch's "Where My Homiez?"

Just Another Way to Say I Love You: (Casablanca 1975)
* "Love Serenade"
Scarface's "Money and the Power"

Sings a Song for Someone You Love: (Casablanca 1977)
* "Playing Your Game Baby"
BDKane's "Brother Man, Brother Man"
Black Moon's "I Gotcha Open" (Remix)
C&C Music Factory ft. Patra's "Take a Toke"
CMWanted's "I Gots to Get Over"
Ill Al Scratch's "Where My Homiez?"
Lil' Shawn's "Come Back 2 Me"
Mega Banton's "Sound Boy Killing" (Remix)
Ron C's "Smooth Attack"
Silk Smoov's "Klientele"
Smooth Ice's "Ice is Def"
{This is the fat horn and bass pattern popularized recently on Black
Moon's cut. Props, in my opinion, for phattest use, goes to Ill Al
Scratch.}
* "It's Ecstasy When You Lay Down Next to Me"
Mary J Blige's "You Bring Me Joy"
Nice & Smooth's "Gold"

The Man: (Casablanca 1978)
* "It's Only Love"
K-Solo's "Who's Killin' Who?"

?: (? ?)
* "You're the One"
BDKane's "Lyrical Gymnastics"
Tupac's "The Streets R Deathrow"

Whitney, Marva
It's My Thing: (King 1969)
* "It's My Thing"
3XDope's "Make Dat Move"
Cookie Crew's "Bad Girls (Rock the Spot)"
Del tFH's "Money for Sex"
EPMD's "It's My Thing"
NWA's "F--- the Police"
"Sa Prize (Pt.2)"
Public Enemy's "Bring the Noise"
{This is the intro drums and horns that you hear in "F*** the Police"
while they are in the court. It's chopped up nicely in "Bring the Noise".
Del and EPMD use her vocals..."I Don't Need Love...","It Ain't No Big
Deal", "It's My Thing".}

?: (? ?)
* "Unwind Yourself"
Chad Jackson's "Hear the Drummer Get Wicked"
DJ Mark's "The 900 Number"
Stetsasonic's "Do You Remember ..."
Vanilla Ice's ?
Zhigge's "Drop the Beat Salaam"
{Often referred to as the 900 Number beat. It has a baritone sax and drums
that hit hard. James Brown produced Marva's music.}
* "What Do I Have to Do to Prove My Love to You"
Jaz's I'll Smoke You
Doctor Ice's "The Mic Stalker"
* "Things Got to Get Better"
Fu-Schnickens' ?
Zhigge's "No Time to Fess"

Williams, Deneice
This is Niecy: (CBS 1977)
* "Free"
K-Dee's "Freshest MC in the World"
LotUnderground's "Faith"
Shante's "Gotta Be Free"

Winstons, The
Color Him Father: (? ?)
* "Amen Brother"
3rd Bass's "Words of Wisdom"
Dee-Lite's "Come on In, the Dreams are Fine"
NWA's "Straight Outta Compton"
Schooly D's "How a Black Man Feels"
{Famous beat, best heard on NWA's classic. Help us add some more to this
one.}

Withers, Bill
Still Bill: (Sussex 1971)
* "Lean on Me"
BDKane's "Lean on Me"
Club Nouveau's "Lean on Me" (Remake)
Winans feat. WHouston's "Lean on Me" (Remake)
* "Ain't No Sunshine"
Freddie Foxx's "Ain't No Sunshine"
Kid Frost's "Ain't No Sunshine"
Tupac's "Soulja's Story"

Rhapsody and Blues Featuring the Crusaders: (MCA 1980)
* "Soul Shadows"
Tupac's "Papa's Song" (Vocal Interpolation)

?: (CBS ?)
* "'Who is He and What is He to You?"
School of Hard Knocks' "Dirty Cop Named Harry"
* "Kissin' My Love"
EB&Rakim's "In the Ghetto"
JBrothers' "Straight out the Jungle"

Wonder, Stevie
Fufillingness's First Finale: (Motown 1974)
* "Boogie on Reggae Women"
Stetsasonic's "Go Brooklyn 3"
* "Living for the City"
Public Enemy's "Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos" (Intro)
* "You Haven't Done a Thing"
Sir Mix a Lot's "One Time's Got No Case"

Songs in the Key of Life: (Motown 1976)
* "Love's in Need of Love Today"
George Michael's "Love's in Need of Love Today"
Kwame's "Can You Feel It?"
XClan's "Ooh Baby"
* "Sir Duke"
ATCQuest's "Footprints"
JJeff & FPrince's "Let's Get Busy Baby"

Wonder & McCartney's Single:
* "Ebony & Ivory"
BDP's "100 Guns"

?: (Motown ?)
* "Talkin' 'bout Hey Love"
De La Soul's "Talkin' 'bout Hey Love"
King Sun's "Undercover Lover"

Wright, Betty
I Love the Way You Love: (Atlantic 1972)
* "Clean Up Woman"
Doctor Ice's "Word Up Doc"
SWV's "I'm So into You"
UBC's "We Get Lifted"
Willie D's "Clean Up Man"

Danger High Voltage: (Alston 1974)
* "Tonight is the Night"
DJ Quik's "Tonight"
Yo-Yo's "Tonight's the Night"

Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band
Express Yourself: (Warner Bros. 1969)
* "Express Yourself"
NWA's "Express Yourself"

Together: (Warner Bros ?)
* "Do Your Thing"
King T's "Do Your Thing"

Wright, Bernard
Nard: (GRP/Arista 1981)
* "Master Rocker"
Yo-Yo's "The Bonnie & Clyde Theme"
Zhigge's "Harlem"
* "Haboglabotribin"
Snoop Doggy Dog's "Gz & Hustlaz"
* "Spinnin'"
Skee-Lo's "I Wish"

Yarborough &Peoples
The Two of Us: (Mercury 1980)
* "Don't Stop the Music"
Criminal Nation's "I'm Rollin'"
K7's "Zunga Zeng"
Nuttin' Nyce's "Froggy Style" (Vocal Interpolation)
Shaq's "I'm Outstanding"
Quo's "Drop the Bomb"

?: (? ?)
* "Hydra"
Trendz of Culture's ?
Wreckx 'N' Effect's "Wreck Shop" (Remix)

Younghearts
Do You Have the Time: (20th Century 1973)
* "Do You Have the Time"
Master Ace's "Together"

Young-Holt Unlimited's
Just a Melody: (Brunswick ?)
* "Light My Fire"
De La Soul's "Saturdays"

?: (? ?)
* "Soulful Strut"
2 Live Crew's ?
Midnight Starr's "Summertime"
PRock & CLSmooth's "One in a Million"
* "Who's Making Love"
De La Soul's ?
* "Bumpin' on Young Street"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Check it Out"

Zapp
Zapp I: (Warner Bros. 1981)
* "More Bounce to the Ounce"
AtLaw's "Return of the Real S--t"
Bloods & Crips' "Shuda Been ..."
Boss's "I'm Comin to Getcha"
Breeze's "LA Posse"
Candyman's "Oneninehundredskytalk"
CMost Wanted's "Growin' Up in the 'Hood" (Remix)
"Hit the Floor"
Coolio's "County Line"
Daddy O's "Brooklyn Bounce"
DJ Quik's "Way 2 Fonky"
DUnderground's "Shake & Bake"
"Sons of the P"
EPMD's "You Gots to Chill"
Heavy D "More Bounce"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
"Look Who's Burnin'"
"What Can I Do?"(Remix)
Kriss Kross's "Shame"
LProfile's "Pay Ya Dues"
Masta Ace's "Slaughtahouse"
MC Breed's "No Future in Yo' Frontin'"
Paperboy's "The Nine Yards"
Professor X's "What's Up G?"
"Close the Crackhouse"
Public Enemy's "1 Million Bottlebags"
Redman's "So Ruff"
Ron C's ?
SCCartel's "Ya Getz Jacked"
Shante's "Trick or Treat"
Threat's "The Dogs are Loose"
Wu-Tang's "Method Man"
X-Clan "Heed the Words of a Brother"
"Xodus"
{This is much too recent a classic to have this long of a list.}
* "Be Alright"
BDKane's "Prince of Darkness"
H-Town's "Knockin' the Boots"
Keith Murray's "Danger"
PRTeachers' "Shakyila"
SCCartel's "U Gotta Deal Wit Dis"
Tupac's "Keep Ya Head Up"
Yo-Yo's "So Funky"

Zapp II: (Warner Bros. 198?)
* "Dance Floor"
CMWanted's "I Don't Dance"
EPMD's "Chill"
JBrothers' "U Make Me Sweat"
Redman's "Blow Your Mind"
SCCartel's "South Central ..."
Erick Sermon's "Stay Real"
"Safe Sex"
* "Doo Wa Ditty"
CMWanted's "Hit the Floor"
Everlast's "Never Missin a Beat"
Paperboy's "Ditty"
* "Playin Kinda Ruff"
Redman's "Time 4 Sum Aksion"

Zapp III: (Warner Bros. 1983)
* "I Can Make You Dance"
CMWanted's "I Don't Dance"
Das EFX's "Brooklyn to T-Neck"
Erick Sermon's "The Ill S---"
Redman's "Blow Your Mind"
Tupac's "I Get Around"
* "Heartbreaker"
Blackstreet's "Booti Call"
Fu-Schnicken's "Break You Down"
Public Enemy "Monkey Off My Back"

The New Zapp IV U: (Warner Bros. 1985)
* "Computer Love"
Bloods & Crips' "Piru Love"
DUnderground's "Digital Lover"
Jodeci's "What About Us?"
Mic Geromnimo's "It's Real" (Remix)
MOP's "To the Death"
Redman's "Blow Your Mind"
Tupac's "I Get Around"
Zapp ft. Roger's "Slow and Easy"

2. Jazz

Adderley, Cannonball (Quintet)
?: (? ?)
* "Capricorn"
PRock & CLSmooth's "In the House"
* "Hundred & One Year/M'Ria"
Black Sheep's "Gotta Get Up"
* "Broomstick"
Black Sheep's "We Boys"
* "Stack of Woe"
Organized Konfusion's "Keep it Koming"

Roy Ayers (Ubiquity)
He's Coming: (Polydor 1972)
* "We Live in Brooklyn Baby"
DPlanet's "Borough Check"
Galliano's "Power and Glory"
Smif N Wessun's "Home Sweethome"
Tim Dog's "Bronx N----"

Change Up the Groove: (Polydor 1974)
* "Feel Like Making Love"
ATCQuest's "Keep it Rollin"
* "The Boogie Back"
DOC's "Mind Blowin'"

Mystic Voyage: (Polydor 1975)
* "Brother Green (The Disco King)"
CMWanted's "I Give Up Nothin'"
Ice Cube's "It's a Man's World"
Schooly D's "Black Power"
* "Mystic Voyage"
Coolio's "Mamma I'm in Love with a Gangsta"
JJeff & FPrince's "Just Kickin' It"

Everybody Loves the Sunshine: (Polydor 1976)
* "Everybody Loves the Sunshine"
Mary J. Blige's "My Life"
Blunted Dummies ft Runaway Slaves' "Sunshine"
BNubian's "Wake Up"
Common Sense's "Book of Life"
E-Rule's "Listen Up"
Funkdoobiest "Dedicate"
* "The Third Eye"
Pharcyde's "Passin' Me By (Remix)"
* "Lonesome Cowboy"
LONS's "Too Much on My Mind"
Tim Dog's "Goin Wild in the Penile"

Vibrations: (Polydor 1977)
* "Searchin'"
OC's "Point O Viewz"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Searching"
* "Vibrations"
Big L's "Put It On"

?: (? ?)
* "Painted Desert"
Beatnuts' "Get Funky"
* "Love Fantasy"
Yaggfu Front's "Frontline"
* "Revenge is a Virtue"
Casual's "Intro"
* "Brawling Broads"
Casual's "Thoughts of the Thoughtful"

Bernstein, Steven
?: (? ?)
* "Trumpet Solo"
DPlanet's "Last of the Spiddyocks"

Blackbyrds
Blackbyrds: (Fantasy 1974)
* "Do it Fluid"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun Begin"
* "Funky Junkie"
Ant Banks ?

City Life: (Fantasy 1975)
* "Rock Creek Park"
Bobby Konders's "Bad Boy Dance"
De La Soul's "Ghetto Thang"
EB&Rakim's "The R"
Heavy D's "Swinging with Da Heavsta"
Lords ot Underground's "Keepers of the Funk"

Action: (Fantasy 1977)
* "Mysterious Vibes"
Almighty RSO's "One in the Chamba"
Paris's "The Days of Old"
* "Dreaming About You"
Lench Mob's "Lord Have Mercy"

Brooks, Billy
?: (? ?)
* "Forty Days"
ATCQuest's "Luck of Lucien"

Butler/Peters
?: (? ?)
* "Speak Truth to the People"
SoMischief's "Disseshowedo"
Zhigge's "Zhigge Man"
* "Melinda"
Black Sheep's "Hoes We Knows"

Byrd, Donald
Black Jack: (Blue Note 1967)
* "Beale Street"
Pharcyde's "Oh S---"
* "Black Jack"
Dream Warriors' "I've Lost My ..."

Fancy Free: (Blue Note 1969)
* "Weasil"
Byrd, Guru, Jordan's "Time is Moving On"
Hardnocks's "Blow to Your Head"

Street Lady: (Blue Note 1974)
* "Street Lady"
Del tFH's "Wacky World of Rapid Transit"
"Ya Little Crumbsnatchers"
"Money for Sex"

Stepping into Tomorrow: (Blue Note 1975)
* "Think Twice"
ATCQuest's "Footprints"
Lisa Lisa's "Let the Beat Hit Em"
Main Source's "Looking At the Front Door"
{Phat groove. Who says jazz is mello?}
* "Stepping into Tomorrow"
US3's ?

Spaces and Places: (Blue Note 1976)
* "Wind Parade"
Black Moon's "Buck'em Down"
Fesu's ?
OKonfusion's "Stray Bullet"
Tupac's "Definition of a Thug N----"
* "Change (Makes You Want to Hustle)"
JJeff & FPrince's "A Touch of Jazz"
* "Places and Spaces"
PRock & CLSmooth's "All the Places"
* "(Fallin Like) Dominoes"
Ice Cube's I Wanna Kill Sam"
JJeff & FPrince's "Brand New Funk"

Chase
Pure Music: (? 1974)
* "Bochawa"
CMWanted's "Dead Men Tell No Lies"

Clarke, Stanley
Modern Man: (? ?)
* "Slow Dance"
T$hort's "I Ain't Nothin ..."

Cobham, Billy
Crosswinds: (Atlantic 1974)
* "Heather"
SoMischief's "93 'Til Infinity"

Spectrum: (? ?)
* "Red Baron"
CMWanted's "Duck Sick"
"Duck Sick 2"
Ill Al Skratch's "Classic S---"
Material "Words of Advice"

Crusaders
Pass the Plate: (? 1971)
* "Listen and You'll See"
DPlanets' "Examination of What?"

Chain Reaction: (MCA 1975)
* "Chain Reaction"
Del tFH's "Thank Youse"
UMC's "Chorus Line Pt.2"

Street Life: (MCA 1979)
* "Street Life"
Whitehead Brothers' "Forgot I Was a Gee"
* "My Lady"
Yaggfu Front's "Slappin Suckas Silly"

Street Life: (MCA 1979)
* "Street Life"
Whitehead Brothers' "Forgot I Was a Gee"

?: (? ?)
* "Do You Remember.."
Ahmad's "Ordinary People"
* "Cosmic Reign"
ATCQuest's "Lyrics to Go" (Remix)
* "Hung Up"
Gangstarr's "No Shame in My Game"

Norman Connors
You are My Starship: (Buddah 1976)
* "You are My Starship
Mobb Deep's "Trife Life"

Davis, Miles
Bitches Brew: (Columbia 1974)
DJ Magic Mike's ?
Heavy D's "You Can't See What I Can See"

Donaldson, Lou
Hot Dog: (Blue Note 1969)
* "Turtle Walk"
Yo-Yo's "You Better Ask Somebody"
* "It's Your Thing"
BNubian's "Punks Jump Up to Get Beat Down"
Chocolate Bamboo & Nubian Crackers' "Test Da Rocket Launcher"
De La Soul's "Bitties in the BK Lounge"
Funkmaster Flex & 9DoubleM's "6 Million Ways to Die"
Lord Finesse's "Stop Sweating ..."
Supercat's "Ghetto Red Hot"
Tragedy's "Funk Mode"

Everything I Play is Gohn Be Funky: (Blue Note 1970)
* "Donkey Walk"
Run DMC's "3 in the Head"

Cosmos: (Blue Note 1971)
* "The Caterpillar"
ISP's "I'm on a Roll"

Pretty Things: (Blue Note ?)
* "Pot Belly"
ATCQuest's "If the Papes Come"
BDKane's "Let Yourself Go"
CMWanted's "Driveby Miss Daisy"
Da King & I's "Flip Da Scrip"
Goats' ?
Ice Cube's "I Wanna Kill Sam"
Kid Capri's "Joke's on You Jack"
Main Source's "Friendly Game of Baseball"
Pharcyde's "4 Better or 4 Worse"
Tim Dog's "Timberlands"

?: (? ?)
* "Ode to Billy Joe"
Black Sheep's "Still in the Ghetto"
BNubian's "Steal Ya Ho"
Cypress Hill's "Lil' Putos"
Gospel Gangstas' "Before Redemption"
Grand Puba's "Reel to Reel"
King T's "I Got it Bad"
Lord Finesse's "Stop Sweating ..."
Jeru's "Can't Stop the Prophet"
Warren G's "This is the Shack"

?: (? ?)
* "Hamp's Hump"
LotUnderground's "Frustrated"

Dr. John
Right Place, Wrong Time: (Reprise? 1973)
* "Right Place, Wrong Time"
Steady B's "Serious" (BDP remix)
QMRage's "Key Testimony"

Duke, George
Reach for It: (Epic 1977)
* "Reach for It"
Breeze's "Loungin'"
Ice Cube's "True to the Game"
Spice 1's "In My Neighborhood"

Don't Let Go: (Epic 1978)
* "Dukey Stick"
Spice 1's "Clip & the Trigga"

Farrell, Joe
Upon This Rock: (CTI 1974)
* "Upon This Rock"
Black Sheep's "Butt in the Meantime"

?: (? ?)
* "Canned Funk"
Kool G Rap's "On the Run"

Getz, Stan
?: (? ?)
* "Keep Dreamin"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Tell Me"

Ronnie Foster
?: (CTI 1973)
* "Mystic Brew"
ATCQuest's "Electric Relaxation"

Green, Grant
Green is Beautiful: (Blue Note ?)
* "Ain't it Funky Now"
Public Enemy's "Do What I Gotta Do"

Alive!: (Blue Note 1970)
* "Down Here on the Ground"
ATCQuest's "Vibes and Stuff"
Cypress Hill's "Stoned is the Way of the Walk"
Tung Twista's "Say What?"
* "Sookie Sookie"
NW1's "And the Band Played the ..."
US3's "Yukka Toots Riddim"

Grusin, Don
?: (? ?)
* "Either Way"
NBIG's "Everyday Struggle"

Goldsher, Alan
?: (? ?)
* "String Bass Blues"
DPlanets' "Last of the Spiddyocks"

Hammond, John
Higher Ground: (Kudu 1974)
* "Big Sur Suite"
Beastie Boys "Pass the Mic"
Black Sheep "The Choice is Yours"
Dr Dre's "High Powered"

Hancock, Herbie
Empyrean Isles: (Blue Note 1964):
* "Oliloquy Valley"
EB & Rakim's "Untouchables"
Simple E's "Play My Funk"
* "Cantaloupe Island"
US3's "Cantaloop"

Headhunters: (Blue Note 1973)
* "Watermelon Man"
Breeze's "Steady Tryin to Flow ..."
DPlanets' "Escapism (Gettin..)"
LL Cool J's "1-900-LL-Cool-J"
OKonfusion's "Open Your Eyes"
Original Flavor's "Gumdrops"
Shaq's "I Hate to Brag"
Supercat's "Dolly My Baby" (Remix)
YBTeenager's "Looney Toonz"

Headhunters: (Blue Note 1973)
* "Chameleon"
2-Pac's "If My Homey Calls"

Future Shock: (? 1983)
* "Rockit"
CPO's "Somethin' Like Dis"

?: (? ?)
* "Fat Mama"
Tupac's "If My Homey Calls"
MMAce's "Babulu Bad Boy"
* "Rain Dance"
OKonfusion's "The Extinction Agenda"

Harris, Eddie
Instant Death: (Atlantic 1972)
* "Superfluous"
DPlanets' "What Cool Breezes Do"
JJeff & FPrince's "Boom! Shake the Room" (Remix)
BNubian's "Pass the Gat"

?: (? ?)
* "Turbulance"
Heavy D's "A Bunch Of N----s"
* "Get Down"
3rd Bass's "Merchant of Grooves"

The Heath Brothers
?: (Strata East 1975)
* "Smiling Billy Suite Pt 2'
Nas's "One Love"
{Available on the Strata East Compilation - Soul Jazz 1994}

Hubbard, Freddie
?: (? ?)
* "Provo"
Black Sheep's "Black with N.V."
* "Skydive"
SoMischeif's "A Name I Call Myself"
* "Leap Frog"
BDKane's "Stop Shammin'"
* "Mr Clean"
Casual's "Get Off It"

Humphrey, Bobbi
Satin Doll: (Blue Note 1971)
* "San Francisco Lights"
BNubian's "Love Me or Leave Me Alone"

Blacks & Blues: (Blue Note 1973)
* "Jasper Country Man"
DPlanets "Blowing Down"
Ice-T's "New Jack Hustler"
* "Harlem River Drive"
JJeff & FPrince's "A Touch of Jazz"
Common Sense's "Just in the ..."
* "Blacks & Blues"
DPlanets's "The Art of Easing"
EB&Rakim's "Keep the Beat"

Hutcherson, Bobby
?: (Blue Note 1970)
* "Ummh"
Ice Cube's "Ghetto Bird"

Irvine, Weldon
Spirit Man: (RCA 1975)
* "We Gettin' Down"
ATCQuest's "Award Tour"

?: (? ?)
* "Sister Sanctified"
3rd Bass's ?
AtLaw's "Murder Rap"
BDP's "My Philosophy"
Material's "Cucumber Slumber"

Jamal, Ahmad
?: (? ?)
* "Poinciana"
KRS-One's "Stop Frontin"

James, Bob
One: (CTI 1972)
* "Night on Bald Mountain"
EB&Rakim's "Let the Rhythm Hit 'em"
* "Feel Like Making Love"
Onyx' "Stik N Muve"
Papa Chuk's "Trunk of Funk"
* "Nautilus"
Alkaholiks "DAAAM!"
ATCQuest's "Clap Your Handz"
Dream Warriors' "Voyage thru the Multiverse"
EB&Rakim's "Follow the Leader"
"Let the Rhythm Hit Em'"
EPMD's "Brothers on My Jock"
Jeru tDamaja's "My Mind Spray"
JBros's "Book of Rhyme ..."
Onyx's "Black Vagina Finda"
"Throw Ya Gunz"
OKonfusion's "Stray Bullet"
PRock & CLSmooth's "The Sun Won't Come Out"
"Who's Next on the Menu?"
QMRage's "Slipping into Darkness"
Run DMC's "Beats to the Rhyme"
"Groove to the Sound"
Tim Dog's "I'll Wax Anybody"
"Low Down N----"
"Bronx N----" (170 Mix)
Ultramag MC's '"Ced Gee (Delta Force One)
"Moe Love on the 1 & 2"

Two: (CTI 1975)
* "Take Me to the Mardi Gras"
Biz Markie's "Cool V's Tribute ..."
BR&R's "You Can't Do Me None"
EB&Rakim's "The Punisher"
GMFlash & FFive's "Freelance"
JJeff & FPrince's "Hip Hop Dancer's Theme"
LL Cool J's "Rock the Bells"
Prince JC's "Comin to Get Ya"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Sun Won't Come Out" (Outro)
Run DMC's "Peter Piper"
UBC's "Harlem $2.50 Pyramid"

Three: (CTI 1976)
* "Storm King"
NWA's "Alwayz into Somethin'"
PInvestigators' "Walk On"
* "Westchester Lady"
JJeff & FPrince's "A Touch of Jazz"

Four: (CTI 1977)
* "Tappan Zee"
Common Sense's "Two Scoops of Raisins"

Lucky Seven: (CTI 1979)
* "Blue Lick"
DPlanets' "Jettin'"

Jones, Quincy
Smackwater Jack: (A&M 1972)
* "Hikky Burr"
AtLaw's "Livin' Like Hustlers"
* "Ironside"
AtLaw's "Murder Rap"
"Untouchables"
Lench Mob's "You & Your Heroes"

I Heard That!: (A&M 1976)
* "I Heard That"
Coup's "Funk"
Geto Boys' "I'm Not a Gentleman"
* "Summer in the City"
Black Moon's "Killing Every N----"
LL Cool J's "Diggy Down"
Pharcyde's "Passing Me By"

?: (? ?)
* "Snow Creatures"
CMWanted's "Def Wish 2"
Common Sense's "Tricks Up My Sleeve"
Gangstarr's "Alongwaytogo"

Jordan, Ronnie
?: (? ?)
* "Cool & Funky"
BBDeVoe's ?
YBTeenager's "Roll with the Flavor"
* "After Hours"
CMWwanted's "U's a B----"

Julian, Don
?: (? ?)
* "Janitzio"
Warren G's "And You Don't Stop"

Klemmer, John
?: (? ?)
* "Ode to Catherine"
Black Moon's "S--- Iz Real"

Laws, Ronnie
Pressure Sensitive: (Blue Note 1975)
* "Tidal Wave"
Black Moon's "Who Got the Props?"
PInvest's "Shy Country Girl"
Usher's "Think of You"

Lewis, Ramsey
Up Pops Ramsey Lewis: (Cadet 1967)
* "Jade East"
Yaggfu Front's "Lookin for a Contract" (Remix)

Them Changes: (Cadet 1970)
* "Them Changes"
Dee- Lite's "Fuddy Duddy Judge"

Sun Goddess: (CBS 1974)
* "Sun Goddess"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Escape"
* "Hot Dawgett"
Public Enemy's "Yo' N----"

Maiden Voyage: (? ?)
* "Maiden Voyage"
Pharcyde's "Officer"
* "Les Fleur"
Black Sheep's "Similak Child"
BOAbraham's "Stabbed By the ..."
Gangstarr's "Jazz Music"

?: (? ?)
* "Collage"
SoMischief's "Make Your Mind Up"

Mann, Herbie
?: (? ?)
* "Today"
Pharcyde's "Otha Fish"
* "Bijou"
Pharcyde's "Pack the Pipe"

Masekela, Hugh
?: (? ?)
* "Grazin in the Grass"
Nice & Smooth's "1,2, and 1 More Makes 3"

McCann, Les
Talk to the People: (Atlantic 1972)
* "North Carolina"
ATCQuest's "The Infamous Date Rape"
Black Sheep's "To Whom it May ..."
SoMischeif's "What a Way to Go Out"
* "Talk to the People"
PRock & CLSmooth's "Anger in the Nation" (Intro)

Layers: (Atlantic 1973)
* "The Harlem Buck Dance Strut"
PRock & CLSmooth's "The Main Ingrediant"

?: (? ?)
* "Go On and Cry"
LotUnderground's "No Pain"
* "Sometimes I Cry"
Slick Rick's "Behind Bars" (RMX)

McDaniels, Eugene
Heroes of the Apocalypse: (Atlantic ?)
* "Jagger's Dagger"
ATCQuest's "Interludes from People's Instinctive ..."
Gravediggaz's "Nowhere to Run"

?: (? ?)
* "Supermarket Blues"
JBrothers' "I'm in Love with Indica"
* "Freedom Death Dance"
OKonfusion's "Black Sunday"

McGriff, Jimmy & Parker, Junior
Dudes Doin' Business: (Prestige 1969)
* "It Aint Whatcha Got"
Ice Cube's "Look Who's Burnin'"
"Who's Got the Camera"
* "Workin'"
Del tFH's "Pissin' on Your Steps"

McLaughlin, John
Planetary Citizen: (? 1976)
* "Planetary Citizen"
Jaz's "Nation Divided"
Schooly D's "Black Education"
Stetsasonic's "So Let the Fun Begin"

?: (? ?)
* "You Know,You ..."
MC Serch's "Hits the Head"

Mitchell, Blue
?: (? ?)
* "Melody 4 Thelma"
JJeff & FPrince's "Ain't No Place Like Home"
OKonfusion's "3-2-1"
* "Good Humour Man"
ADOR's "Let it All Hang Out" (Remix)
UMC's "One to Grow On"
* "Flat Backing"
Del's "No Need for Alarm"

Muhammed, Idris
Turn this Mutha Out: (Kudu 1977)
* "Crab Apple"
Grand Puba ft. Mary J Blige's "Check it Out" (Remix)
K-Solo's "Renee, Renee"
* "Say What"
Coup's "Funk"
Live Squad's "Game of Survival" (Gangsta Funk Mix)
LL Cool J's "Jealous"

?: (? ?)
* "Loran's Dance"
ATCQuest's ?
Beastie Boys' "To All the Girls"
PInvestagator's "Who Am I? (God)"

Parker, Charlie
?: (? ?)
* "Cool Blues"
Down South's "Southern Comfort"

Phillips, Esther
What a Difference a Day Makes: (Kudu 1975)
* "Hurtin' House"
PInvestigator's "Mom Dukes"

Phillips, Sonny
?: (? ?)
* "Free Like the Wind"
Black Sheep's "B.B.S."

Rollins, Sonny
?: (? ?)
* "Mambo Bounce"
DPlanet's "Time & Space"

Schifrin, Lalo
?: (? ?)
* "More Mission Impossible"
Portishead's "Sour Times"
* "Human Fly"
Alkaholics's "Let it Out"

Scott, Tom
The Honeysuckle Breeze: (Impulse 1968)
* "Today"
PRock & CLSmooth's "T.R.O.Y."

Smith, Lonnie (Liston)
Drives: (Blue Note 1970)
* "Spinning Wheel"
PInvest's "Who Am I? (God)"
"Damn it Feels Good"
"A If U Listen"

Expansions: (Flying Dutchman 1975)
* "Expansions"
Stetsasonic's "Talking All that Jazz"

?: (Flying Dutchman or Blue Note ?)
* "Devika"
DPlanets' "Pacifics"
* "People Sure Act Funny"
BNubian's "Steady Bootleggin'"
* "Turning Point"
Run DMC's "Get Open"

Turrentine, Stanley
?: (? ?)
* "Sister Santified"
BDProduction's "My Philosophy"
Ice Cube's "Look Who's Burnin'"
* "The Man with the Sad Face"
Das EFX's "If Only"

Washington, Grover, Jr.
Mister Magic: (Kudu 1975)
* "Black Frost"
3rd Bass's "Monte Hall"
OKonfusion's 'The Rough Side of Town"
T$hort's "So You Want to Be a Gangster?"
* "Mister Magic"
Coolio's "Bring Back Something 4 tha Hood"
Heavy D's "You Ain't Heard Nothin' Yet"
JJeff & FPrince's "A Touch of Jazz"
"Code Red"
Kriss Kross's "I'm Real"
"Sound of My Hood"
Soul IV Real's "Candy Rain" (Remix)
Steady B's "Journey Through ..."
XClan's "A.D.A.M."

Feels So Good: (Kudu 1975)
* "Knucklehead"
K-Solo's "Fugitive"
King T ft Ice-Cube's "Like a Funky Piano"
QLatifah's ?
Zhane's "Hey Mr. DJ" (Remix)
* "Hydra"
Black Moon's "How Many MC's?"
Mary J Blige's "Intro Talk"
EPMD's "Underground"
Joya's "I Like"
King T's "Jay Fay Dray"
Chante Moore's "This Time"
Prince Markie Dee's "Crunch Time"
RHLTone's "Need Some Help from My Peeps"
Tim Dog's "Goin Wild in the Penile"
Yaggfu Front's "Where'd You Get Your Bo Bo's?"
{This break features bass plucked out real low, and a marching drum line,
popularized by Black Moon. (They didn't get the highs from this song
though, so Joya and Markie Dee must have sample BM, not Grover.)}

Reed Seed: (Motown 1979)
* "Loran's Dance"
ATCQuest's "Push it Along"
Original Flavor's ?

?: (? ?)
* "Loverman"
Kool G Rap's "Edge of Sanity"

Weather Report
?: (? ?)
* "Elegant People"
Portishead's "Strangers"

Williams, James
?: (? ?)
* "Stretchin"
DPlanet's "Rebirth of Slick"

Williams, Joe
?: (Blue Note 1966)
* "Get Out of My Life, Woman"
Biz Markie's ?
Funkdoobiest's "I'm S----in' on 'em"
Kool G Rap's "Ill Street Blues"
UMC's "Woman Be Out"

Other Jazz Samples:

David Axelrod "Holy Tuesday"
Black Sheep's "Without a Doubt"

Bartz, Gary "Gentle Smiles"
ATCQuest's "Butter U.K. Remix"

Bloomfield, M. "Season's of ..."
Pharcyde's "Ya Mama"

Branch, James "Tarishi"
D-Nice's "Rhymin' Skills" Jr.

Brother Jack McDuff "Electric Surf..."
PRock & CLSmooth "One in a Million"

Brubeck, Dave "Time Out"
3rd Bass' "Al'z A-B-Cee'z"

Chase, Bill "Open Wide"
HoPain's "House of Pain Anthem"
"Aphrodite"
HoPain's "House of Pain Anthem"

Coltrane, John "Autumn Serenade"
Pharcyde's "Pack the Pipe"

Corea, Chick "Leprechaun's..."
PIntestigator's "That's What it Is"

Cooper, Don "Captain Sp. ..."
MC Serch's "Can You Dig It"

Cox, James "Nobody Wants ..."
EPMD's "Nobody's Safe Chump"

Crane, L. "Pack it Up"
T$hort's "It Don't Stop"

Duke Jordan "Subway In"
Ice Cube's "We Had to Tear This"

Dee Felice Trio "There Was a Time"
Ultra MC's "Give the Drummer Some"

Ferguson, Maynard "Chala Nata"
Runaway Slaves' "Booty Mission"

Ganod, Charles "Funeral March ..."
College Boyz's "Interlude: I Gotcha"

Handy, John "Alvina"
Diamond D 's "Fuck What You Heard"

Hirt, Al "Harlem Hindo"
De La Soul's "Ego Trippin' Pt. 2"

Kaempfert, Bert "Wonderland By..."
LL Cool J's "Funkadelic Relic"

Klemmer, John "Love Song for Kathrine"
Black Moon's "Shit iz Real"

Kubec, Ike "Shu Shu Valley"
Black Sheep 's "Pass the Forty"

Longo, Mike "Matrix"
Beatnuts' "World Famous"

Mance, Junior "A Time and a Place"
D-Nice's "To Tha Rescue"

McGriff, Jimmie "Blue Juice"
Black Sheep's "Pass the 40"

Mingus, Charles "Charles Mingus..."
Papa's Culture's "Top 40"

Monk, T.S. "Bon Bon Vie"
AtLaw's "G's & Macaronies"

Morgan, Lee "Absolutions"
ATCQuest's "Oh My God"

Nordine, Ken "Sound Museum's"
Papa's Culture's "Top 40"

Perrey, Jean Jacques "E.V.A."
Ganstarr's "Just to Get a Rep"

Sample, Joe "In All My Wildest Dreams"
De La Soul's "WRMS's Dedication to the Bitty"

Shades of Brown "Girl I'm Coming"
D-Nice's "No, No, No"

Stepper, Reggie "Drum Pan Sound"
Run DMC's "Wreck Shop"

Stock, David "Smoke House"
MC Serch's "Hits the Head"

Tjader, Carl "Aquarius"
ATCQuest's "Interlude"

Thompson, Don "Fanny Brown"
D-Nice's "No,No, No"

Wilkins, Jack "Red Clay"
ATCQuest's "Sucka N----"

Williams, K. & Co. "Sweet Music ..."
T$hort's "I Want to Be Free"

3. Pop and Blue eyed-soul:

Blondie
?: (? ?)
* "Rapture"
GMFlash & FFive's "Adventures on the Wheels of Steel"

Boney M
Take the Heat Off Me: (Atco 1977)
* "No Woman, No Cry"
Boss's "Catch a Bad One"
NBNature's "Ghetto Bastard"

Dr. John
?: (? ?)
* "Right Place, Wrong Time"
QMRage's "Key Testimony"

Hall & Oates
Voices: (RCA 1971)
* "I Can't Go for that (No Can Do)"
AtLaw's "VSOP"
De La Soul's "Say No Go"

Big Bam Boom: (RCA 1974)
* "Method of Modern Love"
Wu-Tang Clan's "Method Man" (Vocal Interpolation)

Kraftwerk
Trans-Europe Express: (Capital 1977)
* "Trans-Europe Express"
Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock"

Tour De France: (EMI 1983)
* "Tour De France"
Biz Markie's "Biz In Harmony"

Kravitz, Lenny
Let Love Rule: (Virgin 1989)
* "Freedom Train"
Dionne Farris's "Stop to Think"

Manhattan Transfer
?: (? ?)
* "The Shaker Song"
Cooly Live's "Shake Her"

Nu Shooz
Poolside: (Atlantic 1986)
* "I Can't Wait"
NBNature's "The Only Ones"

O'Sullivan, Gilbert
?: (? ?)
* "Alone Again (Naturally)
Biz Markie's "Alone Again (Naturally)

Police
Synchronicity: (A&M 1983)
* "Every Breath You Take"
MC Peaches "Every Breath You Take"

Rare Earth
?: (Motown ?)
* "(I Know) I'm Losing You"
Black Sheep's "Try Counting Sheep"
* "I Just Want to Celebrate"
Insane Poetry's "Raise the Devil"
NWA's "Real N----- Don't Die"
* "We're Gonna Have a Good Time"
Boss's "Mai Sista Iz a B----"

Sly Fox
Let's Go All the Way: (? 1985)
* "Let's Go All the Way"
Boogie Boys's "Fly Girl"

Steely Dan
Royal Scam: (ABC 1975)
* "Green Earring"
Ice Cube's "Don't Trust 'em"
OKonfusion's "Walk Into the Sun"

Aja: (MCA 1977)
* "Peg"
De La Soul's "Eye Know"

FM Soundtrack: (? ?)
* "FM"
3rd Bass' "No Static At All"
"Peg"
De La Soul's "Eye Know"

Tom Tom Club
Tom Tom Club: (Sire 1981)
* "Genius of Love"
AtLaw's "Dose of the Mega Flex"
Ant Banks's "Roll Em Phat"
Boogiemonster's "Bronx Bombas"
Dr Jeckyll's "Genius Rap"
Dream Warriors's "And Now the Legacy Begins"
GMFlash & FFive "It's Nasty"
"We Will Rock You"
Mellow Man Ace's "Linda"
RHKingpen's "A Shade of Red"
XClan's "In the Ways ..."

Valli, Franky
?: (? ?)
* "Grease"
BR&R's "Black is the Word"
De La Soul's "Saturdays" 12"

4. Blues Samples

BB King
?: (? ?)
* "The Thrill is Gone"
Hammer's "Thrill is Gone"
Public Enemy's "Air Hoodlum"
XClan's "Fire and Earth"

Dixon, Willie
?: (? ?)
* "I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man"
BDKane's "Somebody's Been Sleeping in My Bed"

King, Albert
?: (? ?)
* "Cold Feet"
HoPain's "Guess Who's Back"
Ultimate Source's "I'm Not Playin'"
Pete Nice and Daddy Rich's ?
* "I'll Play the Blues for You"
BDKane's "Young, Gifted and Black"

Collins, Albert "Turning On"
Funkdoobiest's "Funk's on Me"

Diddley, Bo "Hey Jerome"
Yo-Yo's "A Few Good Men"

Dixon, Willie "I Ain't Superstitious"
HoPain's "Top O' the Morning to Ya"

Grootna "I'm Funky"
HOP's "Come and Get Some of This"

Guy, Buddy "Snatch it ..."
Tupac's "Pac's Theme (Interlude)"

Muddy Waters "Mannish Boy"
3xDope's "Greatest Man Alive"

Outlaw Blues Band "Deep Gully"
Cypress Hill's "When the S--- Goes Down", De La Soul's ?

Project "Flute Thing"
MC Serch's "Scenes from the ..."

Scaggs, Boz "Hercules"
Boss's "Process of Elimination"

5. Rock Samples

AC/DC
Back in Black: (Atlantic 1980)
* "Back in Black"
BDProduction's "Dope Beat"

Art of Noise
Into the Battle with the Art of Noise: (Island 1983)
* "Beat Box"
Heavy D's "Swingin Wit Da Heavsta"
Marky Mark's "You Gotta Believe"
XClan's "In the Ways of the Scales"

Aerosmith
Toys in the Attic: (Columbia 1976)
* "Walk This Way"
Run DMC's "Walk this Way"

Beatles
?: (? ?)
* "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" (Reprise)
Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science"
* "When I'm 64"
Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science"
* "The End"
Beastie Boys' "Sounds of Science"
* "Hey Jude"
BDP's "Criminal Minded(Vocal-Intro)"
* "Michelle"
Doug E Fresh's "The Show" (Vocal Interlude)
* "All You Need is Love"
ATCQuest's "Luck of Lucien"

Berry, Chuck
?: (Chess ?)
* "Johnny B. Goode"
LL Cool J's "Go Cut Creator Go"

Blood, Sweat &Tears
Blood, Sweat, & Tears: (? 1969)
* "Smiling Phases"
Everlast's "F--- Everyone"
Sir Mix-A-Lot's "Sprung on the Cat"
* "Spinning Wheel"
3rd Bass's "Stymie's Theme"
CMBadd's "Slow Motion"
Sir Mix a Lot's "Sprung on the Cat"
Run DMC's "Big Willie"

Bowie, David
?: (? ?)
* "Fame"
Public Enemy's "Night of the Living Baseheads"

Clapton, Eric
?: (? ?)
* "I Shot the Sheriff"
Insane Poetry's "Stalkin with ..".

Cooder, Ry
?: (? ?)
* "Hush, Somebodys Calling My Name"
XClan's "Fire and Earth"

Cocker, Joe
?: (? ?)
* "Woman to Woman"
Nice & Smooth's "How to Flow"
Ultramagnetic MC's's "Funky"

Eagles
Long Run: (? 1979)
* "Those Shoes"
EB&Rakim's "Eric B Never Scared"

Grand Funk Railroad
?: (? ?)
* "Inside Looking Out"
KRS-One's "Sound of Da Police"

Hendrix, Jimi
Are You Experienced?: (Reprise 1967)
* "Are You Experienced"
Beastie Boy's "Ask for Janice"
Pharcyde's "Passing Me By"
* "Purple Haze"
Run DMC's "Living in the City"

Axis: Bold As Love: (Reprise 1968)
* "Experience"
ATCQ's "If the Papes Come" (Remix)

Electric Ladyland: (Reprise 1968)
* "Vodoo Chile"
2 Live Crew's "My Seven Bizzo's"

Band of Gypsys: (Capitol 1970)
* "Who Knows?"
DUnderground's "The Way We Swing"

Electric Ladyland: (Reprise 1968)
* "Vodoo Chile"
2 Live Crew's "My Seven Bizzo's"

?: (? ?)
* "Little Miss Lover"
ATCQ's "Scenario"

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin IV: (Atlantic 1971)
* "When the Levee Breaks"
Beastie Boys' "Rhymin & Stealin'"
Dr Dre's "Lyrical Gangbang"
Enigma's ?
GTFMovement's "Get the Fist"
Penthouse Players Clique's "Nathen's Changed"
Sophie Hawkins's "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover"

Physical Graffiti: (Swan Song 1975)
* "Kashmir"
Original Concept's "Total Confusion"
Schooly D's "Signifyin Rapper"

?: (? ?)
"Whole Lotta Love"
SoBazerk ft. NSCatBand's "One Time for the Rebel"

Little Feat
?: (? ?)
* "Fool Yourself"
Tribe's "Bonita Applebum"
CMWanted's "Can I Kill It?"

Little Richard
?: (? ?)
* "Tutti Frutti"
Busy Bee's "Get Busy"
Funkdoobiest's "Wopbabalubop"

Mashmakan
?: (? ?)
* "I Know I've ..."
Black Sheep's "Gimme the Finga"

Mountain
?: (? ?)
* "Mississippi Queen"
Beastie Boys' "Looking Down the Barrel of a Gun"

Queen
Flash Gordon SDTRK: (? ?)
* "Flash Gordon"
Gospel Gangstas' ?
Public Enemy's "Terminator X to the Edge ..."

News of the World: (? 1977)
* "We Will Rock U"
Ice Cube's "When Will They Shoot?"
KMDee's "Rock You"
GMFlash & FFive "We Will Rock You"

The Game: (EMI 1980)
* "Another One Bites the Dust"
Kurtis Blow's "Christmas Rap"
GMFlash & FFive's "Adventures on the Wheels of Steel"
Hammer's "Let's Get it Started"

Hot Space: (EMI 1982)
* "Under Pressure"
Vanilla Ice's "Ice Ice Baby"

Rado & Company
Hair SNDTRK: (RCA 1968)
Run DMC's "Down with the King"
Special Ed's ?

Squier, Billy
The Tale of the Tape: (Capitol 1980)
* "Big Beat"
ATCQuest's "Get Down" (Vocals)
BDKane's "Put Your Weight on It"
GMFlash & FFive's "Magic Carpet Ride"
Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats"
Insane Poetry's "Angel of Death"
JBrothers' "40 Below Trooper"
King T's "Diss You"
Professor X's "Close the Crackhouse"
Special Ed's "The Mission"
UTFO's "Roxanne,Roxanne"
XClan's "A Day of Outrage"
{The punchy drum line from this rock album is a classic.}

Steam
?: (? ?)
* "Na Na Hey Hey"
Everlast's "Goodbye"

Steve Miller Band
The Joker: (Capitol 1973)
* "The Joker"
Geto Boys' "Gangster of Love"

Fly Like an Eagle: (Capitol 1976)
* "Fly Like an Eagle"
Biz Markie's "Nobody Beats the Biz"
EPMD's "Total Kaos"
Heavy D's "Who's the Man?"
Kid 'N' Play's "Slippin'"
Steady B's "Ego Trippin'"

?: (? ?)
* "Jungle Love"
Jeff J& FPrince "He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper"
* "Take the Money"
NWA's "Quiet on Tha Set"
* "In the Winter ..."
MC Shan's "Ain't We Funkin'"

Stooges, The (Iggy Pop &)
?: (? ?)
* "Dirt"
JBrothers' "I'm in Love ..."

Thin Lizzy
Johnny the Fox: (? 1976)
* "Johnny the Fox"
Rob Base's "Make it Hot"
Schooly D's "How a Black Man Feels"

Three Dog Night
Naturally: (ABC 1969)
* "I Can Hear You Calling"
3XDope's "No Words" (Remix)
Diamond D's "Best Kept Secret"
Stetsasonic's "To Whom it May Concern"

It Ain't Easy: (Dunhill 1970)
* "Mama Told Me Not to Come"
D-Nice's "TR-808 is Coming"

Harmony: (Harmony 1971)
* "Joy to the World"
Stetsasonic's "To Whom it May Concern"

West, Leslie
?: (? ?)
* "Long Red"
EB&Rakim's "Eric B is President"

Wright, Gary
?: (? ?)
* "Love is Alive"
3rd Bass's "Wordz of Wisdom"
* "Dreamweaver"
3rd Bass's "Wordz of Wisdom"

Other Rock Samples:

Black Sabbath "Iron Man"
Sir Mix a Lot's "Iron Man"
"The Wizard"
Cypress Hill's "I Ain't Goin' Out Like Dat"

James & Bobby Purify "I'm Your Puppet"
Nice & Smooth's "Some Ol' Played Out S---", GrandDaddy IU's
"Something New", Hi-C's "I'm Not Your Puppet"

Bowie, David "Fame"
EPMD's "It Wasn't Me, It Was ..."

Edie Brickell "What I Am"
BNubian's "Slow Down"

Butterfield,Paul "I Don't Wanna ..."
Black Sheep's "Butt in the Meantime"

Tracy Chapman "Fast Car"
Nice & Smooth's "Sometimes I Rhyme Slow"

Chicago "Saturdays in ...!"
De La Soul's "Saturdays 12""

Cocker, Joe "Woman to Woman"
EPMD's "Knick Knack Paddywack", Ultramag MC's "Blast from Our Past"

Creedence Clearwater "Commotion"
Revival
Ice Cube's "I Wanna Kill Sam"

Clapton, Eric "I Shot the Sheriff"
EPMD's "Strictly Business"

Collins, Phil "In the Air ..."
Doug E Fresh's "Every Body ..."

Deep Purple "Smoke on the Horizon"
BDP's "Ya Slippin'"

Eagles "Those Shoes"
Beastie Boys' "High Plains..."

Foreigner "Street Thunder"
EPMD's "Chill"

Gabriel, Peter "Sledgehammer"
3rd Bass' "Pop Goes the Weasel"

Grand Funk Railroad "Nothing Is..."
Priv. Inv. "That's What it Is"

Guns and Roses "Paradise City"
2 Live Crew's "Get Loose Now"

Knack, The "My Sharona"
Everlast's "I Got the Knack", Run DMC's "It's Tricky"

Loggins & Messina "Your Mama ..."
Beastie Boys' "High Plains ..."

Los Lobos "Shotgun"
Yo-Yo's "Girls Got a Gun"

Madonna "Who's that Girl?"
Li'l Shawn's "That Girl"

McClaren, Malcolm "Buffalo Girls"
Das EFX's "They Want EFX", "Bakaneffex", Hammer's "It's All Good"

Pink Floyd "The Wall"
Downtown Science's "This is a Visit"

Red Hot Chili Peppers "Sir Psycho Sexy"
Ice Cube's "U Ain't Gonna Take ..."

Reed, Lou "Walk on the Wild Side"
ATCQuest's "Can I Kick It", Marky Mark's "On the Wild Side"

Roe, Tommy "Dizzy"
Heavy D's "You Can't See", Nice & Smooth's "Early to Rise"

Rolling Stones "This May Be ..."
2 Live Crew's "Get Loose Now"

Rush "Tom Sawyer"
YBT's "Time to Make the Dough"

Carly Simon "Why?"
ATCQ's "Bonita Applebum (Video Remix)"

Slayer "Angel of Death"
Public Enemy's "She Watch Channel Zero"

Springfield, Dusty "Son of a Preacher Man"
Cypress Hill's "Hits from the Bong"

Stone Roses "Fools Gold"
Run DMC's "What's it All About?"

Sweet "Ballroom Blitz"
Beastie Boys' "Hey Ladies"

Tears for Fears "Shout"
JJeff&FPrince's "The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff"
"Head Over Heels"
CMoney& Marvelous's "All the Ugly People Be Quiet"

Thin Lizzy "Johnny the Fox"
Fu-Schnickens' "Check it Out"

Toto ?
MC Lyte's "Poor Georgie"

Turtles "Buzzsaw"
D-Nice's "They Call Me D-Nice", Ice Cube's "Jackin' 4 Beats",
XClan's "Xodus"

Van Halen "Jamie's Crying"
Tone Loc's "Wild Thing"

Suzanne Vega "Tom's Diner"
Nikki D's "Daddy's Little Girl"

Who, The "Eminent Front"
3rd Bass' "Pop Goes the Weasel"

Wings "Let 'em In"
BDP's "JIMMY" (Vocal)

6. Reggae

Third World
* "Now that We Found Love"
Biz Markie's "Spring Again"

7. Old School Rap

Afrika Bambaataa & Soulsonic Force
?: (? ?)
* "Looking for the Perfect Beat"
JBrothers' "Beyond this World"

Grandmaster Flash
?: (? ?)
* "The Message"
JBrothers's "Straight out the Jungle" (Vocal)

Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel
?: (? ?)
* "White Lines"
JBrothers' "Beyond This World"

Sequence
?: (? ?)
* "Funk You Up"
Dr Dre's "Keep Their Heads Ringing" (Vocal Interpolation)
{Ring, ding dong, Ring a ding ding dong.....}

Sugarhill Gang
?: (? ?)
* "Rapper's Delight"
Gang Starr's "Take a Rest"

8. Comedy

Blowfly "Convoy"
DJ Quik's "Mo P----"

Cheech & Chong "Blind Melon ..."
Lench Mob's "Ankle Blues"

Harris, Robin "F--- Compton"
Tim Dog's "Robin Harris S---"
"The LA Clippers"
Public Enemy's "Air Hoodlum"
"GottagoGottago!"
Public Enemy's "911 is a Joke"

Kinison, Sam "Scream"
Shaq's "Giggin' on Em"
"B----- Get Your Mouth Off Me!!"
Run-DMC's "Beats to the Rhyme"

Pryor, Richard "Junkie Meets Wino"
AtLaw's "Harda U R Tha Doppa U Faal"
"Wino Meets Dracula"
DJ Quik's "Jus' Lyke Compton", "Born and Raised"
"UFO"
DJ Quik's "When You're a Gee"
"Jail"
Gang Starr's "The Illest Brother"
"Super N-----"
Schooly D's "Super N-----"
"Be Home by Eleven"
Nice & Smooth's "Ooh Child"

Reiner & Brooks "2000 Years ..."
Papa's Culture's "Who's Mack...?"

9. Movies and Television

American Me
Prison guard dialog
Ice Cube's "The First Day of School", "Really Doe"

Avenging Disco Godfather
Rudy Ray "Dolemite" Moore dialog
Queen Latifah's "Momma Gave Birth to the Soul Children"

In Living Color
David Allen Grier dialog in ?
Ice Cubes "Who Got the Camera?"

Which Way is Up?
Richard Pryor dialog
OKonfusion's "Who Stole My Last Piece of Chicken?"

Young Guns
? dialog
Warren G's "Regulate"

10. Unknown

All the People
?: (? ?)
* "Cramp Your Style"
BDP "I'm Still No. 1"
LL Cool J's "Mr. Goodbar"

Black Heat
?: (? ?)
* "Zimba Ku"
Biz Markie's "Return of the Biz Dance"

Higgins, Monk
?: (? ?)
* "One Man Band"
Biz Markie's "Biz Is Goin' Off"

S.O.B.
?: (? ?)
* "The Soil I Tilled for You"
ATCQuest's "Butter"

11. Source Materials
These books have been helpful in the preparation of this FAQ.
Any contibutions on books you may have found useful will be duly
noted and appreciated.

Soul Music: Who's Who. Tee, Rick. Prima Publishing, Paperback. 1991
By far the best overall book I've seen on Soul Music, with
interesting articles on most moderately obscure artists.

Rock Albums of the '70's, a Critical Guide. Christgau, Robert. Da Capo,
Paperback. 1981
A good overview of the '70's, covers moderately obscure artists.
Most useful if scrutinized for all its information, as it does not
concentrate on soul/ funk etc. Mandatory if you need a handle on non-
soul music as it has excellent coverage of rock, blues, and pop music
of old.

Rolling Stone Album Guide. Edited by Anthony DeCurtis and James Henke
with Holly George-Warren, Reviewed by Mark Coleman, J.D. Considine, Paul
Evans, David McGee.
Good overview of all music, lacks coverage of obscure artists, most
useful because it provides an overview of an artists entire career and
contains warnings of what albums to buy and to avoid.

12. Beat mining tips and tricks

After gazing through this monstrosity, one will well realize that
through my own collection, my friends who are into collecting, and the
tremendous effort of everyone on the I-net, there's a lot to know about
beats.
Just how can _You_ add to this list, and increase _Your_ knowledge
even further, so that we all can contribute something?
Some of these are rather obvious, but everyone will do well to pay
attention too all of these hints. All I can do is give you every one of
my tried and true beat mining tips...

1. Read this FAQ. ;) Its update's too. ;) ;) Seriously though, we've
done, IMHO, an excellent job of giving you the all the basic beats you'd
want in a collection, and have every intention of expanding on it. This
should keep anyone from going through the drudgery of reproducing the work
we've already done.

2. Be sure to check out some of the books listed above. They'll come in
handy during steps four, six and seven especially.

3. When you go to a music store, try looking at the hot new singles in
rap and R&B and rap. Read the credits on the back and get all the info
that's there. When you buy an album, or scope out a friend's, check out
the liner notes, and peep all the samples listed,...

4. Then make notes on the names listed from song to song in the
publishing credits. Every once in a while, they will list the names of
the writer's and performer's without giving a listing of the song title
or outright telling you it's a sample. If you know Modelist was the drummer
for the Meters and that C. Bobbit wrote mainly for James Brown, then you
have simplified your search dramatically

5. Listen to oldies public stations. Call up your local public radio
station and get a directory of the shows. I've had lots of luck finding
jazz, disco, soul and just plain funk shows. The best ones are focused
on the '70's though. That's how I caught the "Mind Playin' Tricks on Me"
and "Gz and Hustla's" loops, probably my two rarest contributions to this
FAQ.

6. Once you find an artist who's been sampled once, realize that's
probably not the end of the trail. Get other albums by the same artists.
Look them up on the critic's guides and see which albums were critically
acclaimed. See which one's sold a lot.

7. Check out all the members of a group you find funky. Consult your
resources and find out what other groups they worked with. Did they ever
put out a solo album? Did they start out in another group? Did they
produce or write songs for anybody? Did their record label specialize
in soul music, like SOLAR, People, and Stax records did? Groups like
Bootsy's Rubber Band, Ohio Players, and solo albums by Bobby Byrd and
Weldon Irving fall in these categories.

8. Check out old Billboard Magazines and see what did well on the
charts. Sometimes song titles will jog your memory. I got Charles
Wright's "Express Yourself" this way.

9. I don't recommend this one everytime you go on a beat mission, but
on a whim, I've been known to buy Greatest Hits and solo albums of people
I've never even known of before. But your best bet is to find out
something about them. Call the public radio DJ's you've found out about
and ask them to play something by them.

10. Compilation albums can be handy. Look out for companies that sell
mail order CD's and you can find some of the most obscure artists HAVE
been re-issued. Don't bother digging up that fat Skull Snaps break,
get the reissue.

11. Watch the year. Other's will of course will disagree with this time-
line, but I think you will be best off if you stick to these years:

Funk, Soul and R&B: 1968-1981
Jazz: 1968-1974
Rock and Pop: 1970-1979

12. When you go outside these years, you will still find beats, but you
will have to wade through garbage records. Your best bet is to get a
portable record player and go to stores where they will let you listen to
records before you buy them.

13. Contributions

Matthew McClellan........................... <mcq...@camelot.bradley.edu>
/Gets an extra special thank you for writing much text, writing as much
of this FAQ as I have, catching many mistakes and rare breaks, and
recieving little thanks for being the co-author of the FAQ \
Oliver S Wang..................................<ol...@uclink.berkeley.edu>
Jonathan Howard Dakss......................<jh...@namaste.cc.columbia.edu>
Matt Nowinski....................................<nowi...@ltthp5.epfl.ch>
Joe Mills............................................<joe....@mwbbs.com>
Jeremy Wollard..............................<JWol...@vines.ColoState.edu>
Jason Kreitzer....................<jason.kreitzer%gou...@wb3ffv.ampr.org>
J P van Hove..................................<10010...@compuserve.com>
Palle Zetterstrand.............................<supe...@etek.chalmers.se>
Ian Harris........................................<iha...@sdcc3.UCSD.EDU>
Swamp Ratte...........................................<sra...@phantom.com>
Elliott James Lawrence..............................<el...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Anthony Lamar Rucker..............................<gran...@grove.ufl.EDU>
? ?......................................................<ju...@dkeep.com>
Jacob E.van Duijn.....................................<jvd...@fwi.uva.nl>
Teemu Mottonen...................................<tmot...@cc.helsinki.fi>
Ed Freed......................................... <e...@ejfreed.demon.co.uk>
Ronald N Clark.......................................<wok...@iastate.edu>
Harry Allen..........................................<Harry...@nyo.com>
?.......................................................<MicC...@aol.com>
Koranteng Ofosu-Amaah.............................<am...@husc.harvard.edu>
?..............................................<gene....@dns.colum.edu>
Raw Rob....................................................<raw...@is.net>
Rodney Foster.............................................<ma...@infi.net>
Phil Most the Soulman......................................<from Rappages>
Peter Jager............................................<blu...@xs4all.nl>
Melissa Weber.....................................<msw...@beta.loyno.edu>
DJ Vexx........................................<Postm...@mage1.infi.net>
Sid Scull.................................................<sc...@yorku.ca>
Warren Blackwood...............................<wbla...@chat.carleton.ca>
Brendan Horgan..........................................<hor...@umich.edu>
Props to all for their help, well over 60% of this FAQ was due to the
above efforts...

And lastly
Blaine C. Armsterd.....................................<xo...@basenet.net>
14. FAQ Updates

The Newest version of this FAQ and the individual updates can be found
throught these methods:

Usenet:
About the first and the fifteenth of every month, all the new
samples found are posted to alt.rap and rec.music.hip-hop.

FTP:
This FAQ is always at my own FTP (File Transfer Protocol) site.
FTP to basenet.net /pub/users/xombi. The file "sample###" will contain
the complete FAQ. If you just want the updates, find the file "new###"
for the version numbers you don't have.
Make sure that you transfer all files in the correct mode. Do not
FTP the version you can't use in its stored format:

Extention Mode Format
.txt ASCII All
.doc binary Word Perfect 5.1
_txt.zip binary All w/ pkunzip
_doc.zip binary Word Perfect 5.1 pkunzip

I unquestionably reccommend that you get the binary formats, as the
tabs and spacing make the information clearer.
It is important to note that the files themselves take a while to
get cleared for disseminaiton. (They check all the files to make sure
that it's not software.) Although this is the best method for obtaining
FAQ's, it may take a day or two for them to clear it.
If you need more formats, e-mail me. I'm also working on a data-
base file for this FAQ. It will be avaliable soon.

E-Mail:
Since I've finally mastered the art of configuring PINE, if you
really need the FAQs through the mail, send me a note at xo...@basenet.net

WWW:
This FAQ is on Matteo Barbieri's Web page. The adress is
http://www.dsi.unimi.it/Users/Students/barbieri/home.html
He can be reached at barb...@dsi.unimi.it.

15. Submissions

Please e-mail Blaine at:
xo...@basenet.net
Messages will recieve a personal reply within 3 or 4 days of mailing,
or your money back. {:D>

__ __
\ \\ / // "If I were a dinosaur, I'd be a licalottapus!"
\ \\ / // _____ __ __ ______ ___ -Jonathan "Jax" Armsterd
/ /\ \\ || || || \\ // || || \\ | || Harder to killfile!
/_// \_\\ In God We Trust. All others pay cash.
"Do you seriously think I fear something as emphemeral as ideas? The best
idea is a loaded weapon, and those I have aplenty." -Doom 2099