what do you think about the solesides breakup?

Freedminds

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

just wonder what everyones feelin about this

John Book

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

freed...@aol.com (Freedminds) wrote:

>just wonder what everyones feelin about this

It happened over a month ago, most of us have commented about it, it's
time to move on. Fortunately, the musical aspects of the Solesides crew
are still friends, so I'm anxious to hear more music from DJ Shadow,
Lateef, Lyrics Born, and Blackalicious.

-John Book

J. Winston Chiong

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

John Book wrote:
> freed...@aol.com (Freedminds) wrote:
> >just wonder what everyones feelin about this
> Fortunately, the musical aspects of the Solesides crew
> are still friends, so I'm anxious to hear more music from DJ Shadow,
> Lateef, Lyrics Born, and Blackalicious.

Yeah, it's not really accurate to call it a breakup, since the artists
are all still together and planning to work on the Quannum project in
about a year or so, after the Blackalicious _Nia_ album drops and also
after Shadow's done working on the UNKLE album. Really all that's
happened is that the artists felt that running Solesides as a business
entity was taking valuable time and energy away from their musical
efforts, which was a signal to them that they'd taken Solesides, as a
label, as far as they were able to go with it.

Plus, to my knowledge, there are still two Solesides projects in the
pipeline to be dropped as Solesides releases... there's another Latyrx
project (which is, I think, going to be along the Muzappers theme one
last time), and then... Radio Sole 2. So keep checking for those. Also,
I think Latyrx is supposed to be touring sometime soon, and if/when I
get dates for that I'll be sure to put them up. Of course, if someone up
here already has those dates and would like to share them with the rest
of the class...

The results of philosophy are the uncovering of one or another piece of
plain nonsense and of bumps that the understanding has got by running
its head up against the limits of language.

- Wittgenstein, _Philosophical_Investigations_ 119

Jason Foat

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98
to J. Winston Chiong

> Plus, to my knowledge, there are still two Solesides projects in the
> pipeline to be dropped as Solesides releases... there's another Latyrx
> project (which is, I think, going to be along the Muzappers theme one
> last time), and then... Radio Sole 2. So keep checking for those. Also,
> I think Latyrx is supposed to be touring sometime soon, and if/when I
> get dates for that I'll be sure to put them up. Of course, if someone up
> here already has those dates and would like to share them with the rest
> of the class...>

The San Diego date is June 5. Don't have the venue yet. It's billed as the
Solesides '98n tour. See ya there

Jason

Spirit68

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

>just wonder what everyones feelin about this

Well, they're strting up a different label called Quanuum (sp?) with all the
same artists, so I'm not too worried.

Peace,

Spirit

++++Free Mumia Abu Jamal++++

"Art is what the mind can imagine and the heart knows to be true" - Unknown

If you haven't seen "Eve's Bayou" yet, you don't know what black cinema can
achieve

Christina Hsu

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

In <199805200318...@ladder03.news.aol.com> freed...@aol.com

(Freedminds) writes:

>just wonder what everyones feelin about this

What happened?

I haven't heard this

peace,
Martay

Dissappointed would be my feeling

Tony1er

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

as long as all the groups keep putting out stuff in one way or another, it's
all good.
later tony

AlanPage

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

John Book posted...

>Fortunately, the musical aspects of the Solesides crew <BR>
>are still friends

Why are they no longer friends with the business side of the Solesides crew?

"Y'all don't know the meaning of life/you act trife/Ghetto children dreaming at
night/still see light" - "The Meaning of Life" Spirit

+++Free Mumia Abu-Jamal+++
++if you agree, copy these lines to your .sig++

J. Winston Chiong

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

AlanPage wrote:
> John Book posted...
> >Fortunately, the musical aspects of the Solesides crew <BR>
> >are still friends
> Why are they no longer friends with the business side of the Solesides crew?

No, no, no... like I said before, it's not a breakup... the artists just
thought that running a business was distracting. And that's because
there never was a business side to the crew, unless you count Zen and a
handful of interns from Berkeley who dropped by like two or three times
a week.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering what Zen is doing now, he's taking the
opportunity to do some writing, which he hadn't had time to do for a
while. I've seen a couple reviews and pieces by him in the SF Bay
Guardian, and he's working on a book on Death Certificate and he's also
the associate editor of a new political magazine that's coming out, I
think it's called Color Lines.

P.S. Did anyone else see Jazzbo's article on Paris in the new BAM? I
thought it was pretty interesting and kinda critical...

Jacob Gilchrist

May 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/21/98

:
: P.S. Did anyone else see Jazzbo's article on Paris in the new BAM? I
: thought it was pretty interesting and kinda critical...

Yeah, Winston,

I kinda thought the same thing about that article. I wonder why Shadow
doesn't work with Paris on some tracks. I think that would be a great
combo.

peace

clash

John Book

May 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/22/98

Solesides, as a label, is no more.

DJ Shadow, Lateef, Lyrics Born, Gift Of Gab, and Chief Xcel are still
friends and are still together, in fact they said they were going to work
on the group project known as Quannum. It WAS rumored that that was
going to be the name of DJ Shadow's new record label, but we haven't
heard anything about this. As for Zen, who was considered the "business"
side of Solesides, I heard that they decided to dissolve Solesides since
their main objective of getting their music heard was met. They
basically felt it was time to move on, and felt they could do so on a
larger level.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

U-WU