future of hip-hop??

Matt Otto Van Lanen

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

With so many new groups and so many albums coming out every week, what
does everyone think will happen to hip-hop music?? Has it just blown up
too quickly, will it fizzle out soon??

What I am saying is, with popular music like rock 'n roll and country,
etc. there aren't 6 new albums coming out every week. Maybe one or two
and often not even that. Will rap music collapse because it is trying to
pump out too much product, too quickly??

I would really hate to see it happen, but I can see the natural
progression of things leading to its demise, sad but true.

Opinions please...

Jon Madison

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

In article <57vbc5$u...@uwm.edu>,
Matt Otto Van Lanen <gre...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote:
>Opinions please...
i thought hip hop's been around for over 15 years...

j.
--
(c) 1996 jon madison, webmaster, golden dome productions
mailto:j...@goldendome.com http://ill.beats.com/~jm

Jazzbo/Joseph Patel

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

hip-hop will never "die," per se. it will continue to manifest in
different forms. hip-hop isn't just music. it's a spirit, a way of doing
things, an attitude. hip-hop is re-adjusting your environment to fit
your thought, your expression using the materials in that environment,
regardless of what those materials are. that spirit will never die. it
will always exist. what may not change are our expectations. people
already aren't willing to recognize the changes and different forms that
it has taken already. people like dj shadow, drum and bass and jungle
artists are doing hip-hop, but try telling that to the local kid that
thinks mobb deep and tupac are the only voices in the music. it doesn't
register. the hip-hop music we hear today may not exist a few years from
now, but that's to be expected. the hip-hop of '92 with de la, quest and
the jbs in top form -- that hip-hop doesn't exist today. the hip-hop of
ultramagnetic, rakim, and bdp -- that hip-hop doesn't exist today. so
naturally, the hip-hop people are accustomed to hearing today will not
exist in the future. but, again, the spirit will never die.

my two bits,
:Jazzbo

Nicky Martell

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Hip hop can't stop because it is the only musical genre where you can
invent new styles everyday (take what De La Soul did in 1989 or Dr Dre in
1992)

The Guru

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

You're right. There are definetly too many hip hop albums being
released. I can't keep up with all the new groups. Because of such
an influx of albums the level of talent and product will decrease.

We need some new good albums with great tracks throughout the album.
Too many artists nowadays are just making 2 or 3 good singles and
filling up the rest of their albums with lame/weak stuff.

I still love Doggystyle, The Chronic, All Eyez on Me, The Roots (Do u
want more?), The INC Ride, and others.
These are the type of albums that we need more of. They've got wicked
songs all throughout the album.

I'm sick and tired of albums with only 2 or 3 good tracks.

Hip hop will decline but will eventually work its way back up.

gu...@thepentagon.com

Tyrone Mixx

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

Nicky Martell <mar...@freenet.hut.fi> wrote:

This is about the most naive statement I've ever heard. I don't care
what genre you listen to, it's ALL progressing.

Here's just one example...

In 1982 I started playing something "new" called HOUSE. Well "house"
has given birth to dozens of "new" styles.

Don't limit your mind.

- tyrone

"Human Potential Is Infinite"

seth axelrad

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

The future of hip-hop is Dr. Octagon.

rap moves on to the year 3000.

kari orr

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96

In article <58251t$d...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, seth axelrad <sa...@cornell.edu> says:

>The future of hip-hop is Dr. Octagon.
>
>rap moves on to the year 3000.

if that's the future of hip hop, we need to do some rethinking.

k.orr
house of phat beats

Anthony Freeland

Dec 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/3/96
to seth axelrad

I hate t say this but that way things are going the future of hip -hop
lies in Nas, J-Z, Outlaws, L.B.C. Crew, and many other up an coming
artists.

Bradley Pratt

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

kari orr (or...@weiss.che.utexas.edu) wrote:

It IS the future of hip hop. And it looks like you DO need to do some
rethinking.

chris

kari orr

Dec 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/4/96

In article <582iti$k...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>, bpr...@uoguelph.ca (Bradley Pratt) says:

: >
: >The future of hip-hop is Dr. Octagon.
: >
: >rap moves on to the year 3000.

: if that's the future of hip hop, we need to do some rethinking.

>It IS the future of hip hop. And it looks like you DO need to do some
>rethinking.
>
>chris

So in the future every mc will

1. not rhyme on purpose, just talk on beat
2. Not say anything coherent, nor try to communicate an idea
in a coherent fashion
3. Make sex, and sexual references a topic of choice
4. say a lot of stuff that seems to make sense, but when inspected
more, turns out that it doesn't make sense.

Yeah i'm the one that needs to rethink.

i think not. i have yet to say Keith is wack, or i don't like
keith, but Dr. octagon is not the future of hip hop.

1. the beats aren't accessible
- as in, he's not making jams for the dance floor or the jeep
this drops out club dj's, b-boys, and cruisers.
2. There might be some type of logic in his stuff, but for the
vast majority of hip hop listeners, they will not get it.
3. Dr. octagon, has the problem of people passing him off as a novelty
because what he is doing is so different.

Average People will always want to groove/dance/drive to hip hop. you can't
do at least two of those to Dr. Oct. People, on the surface, want
things to make sense. Dr. Octagon doesn't make sense to average people.
Average people are the mass. They aren't ready for, nor will they ever
be ready for Dr. Octagon. Further more considering who runs the
hip hop, the major labels, they have not had success marketing
anything a bit off the beaten path(me phi me, christian rap, rap/metal
basketball and football raps, organized konfusion, saafir).

dr octagon, is like delorean. cool car, it's not going to sell
and the vast majority of it is not going to influence how cars are made,
and what cars sell.

show and prove

Bradley Pratt

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96

kari orr (or...@weiss.che.utexas.edu) wrote:

: In article <582iti$k...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>, bpr...@uoguelph.ca (Bradley Pratt) says:

: : >
: : >The future of hip-hop is Dr. Octagon.
: : >
: : >rap moves on to the year 3000.

: : if that's the future of hip hop, we need to do some rethinking.

: >It IS the future of hip hop. And it looks like you DO need to do some
: >rethinking.
: >
: >chris

: So in the future every mc will

: 1. not rhyme on purpose, just talk on beat
: 2. Not say anything coherent, nor try to communicate an idea
: in a coherent fashion
: 3. Make sex, and sexual references a topic of choice
: 4. say a lot of stuff that seems to make sense, but when inspected
: more, turns out that it doesn't make sense.

Nope. In the future every mc will

1. start pushing the accepted boundaries of what "rap" is
2. stop pretending to be gangstas, playas, pimps, etc. and start being
themselves, no matter how weird they may seem to other people
3. start rapping about topics other than violence, how tough they are,
how much everyone else sucks, etc.
4. stop being afraid of what everyone else will think of them

: Yeah i'm the one that needs to rethink.

: i think not. i have yet to say Keith is wack, or i don't like
: keith, but Dr. octagon is not the future of hip hop.

: 1. the beats aren't accessible
: - as in, he's not making jams for the dance floor or the jeep
: this drops out club dj's, b-boys, and cruisers.

I think you're underestimating the power of hip hop by reducing it to
"background music" that can only be heard while doing other activites.
Doesn't anyone just listen to the songs?

: 2. There might be some type of logic in his stuff, but for the

: vast majority of hip hop listeners, they will not get it.

Hmm. Don't care. I have no sympathy for them. That's their loss.

: 3. Dr. octagon, has the problem of people passing him off as a novelty

: because what he is doing is so different.

Okay, I think the problem is we've got two different definitions of what
the phrase "future of hip hop" means. To you, the future of hip hop is
what will become popular (please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what
I got from you're argument). To me, the future of hip hop is about moving
hip hop to a higher level - taking it somewhere new. How many artists
out there today can you honestly say are doing this? I think Dr.
Octagon, the Automator, Solesides, Shadow, Krush et al are. When a genre
become stagnant, it dies, and I think hip hop is becoming stagnant.

: Average People will always want to groove/dance/drive to hip hop. you can't

: do at least two of those to Dr. Oct. People, on the surface, want
: things to make sense. Dr. Octagon doesn't make sense to average people.
: Average people are the mass. They aren't ready for, nor will they ever
: be ready for Dr. Octagon. Further more considering who runs the
: hip hop, the major labels, they have not had success marketing
: anything a bit off the beaten path(me phi me, christian rap, rap/metal
: basketball and football raps, organized konfusion, saafir).

Well, I think there are quite a few examples of artist who were off the
beaten path when they first appeared. Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, De La
Soul, NWA were all pushing new styles that hadn't really been seen
before. But major labels are usually interested in the new shit, you're
right. But if the future of hip hop means new shit that's never been
seen before that moves the genre forward, then Doc Oc and his ilk are the
next shit.

: dr octagon, is like delorean. cool car, it's not going to sell

: and the vast majority of it is not going to influence how cars are made,
: and what cars sell.

Too much emphasis on selling. Wouldn't everyone trade their car in for a
Delorean if they could?

: show and prove

shown, proven.

No disrespect to anyone, just gotta say what's on my mind. Feel free
to tell me I'm wrong and that I don't know anything about hip hop, 'cause
you're right. I really don't know that much about hip hop. But I know
music, and I know what I like.

chris

Jakob Hellberg

Dec 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/5/96
Not that this has anything to do with the discussion but I think that
the Hip-Hop released in the late 80's that you mentioned above sounds
much better (and less outdated) than the majority of albums released
last year...

Tyler Blohm

Dec 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/6/96

On 2 Dec 1996 19:40:53 GMT, gre...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Matt Otto Van
Lanen) wrote:

>With so many new groups and so many albums coming out every week, what
>does everyone think will happen to hip-hop music?? Has it just blown up
>too quickly, will it fizzle out soon??
>
>What I am saying is, with popular music like rock 'n roll and country,
>etc. there aren't 6 new albums coming out every week. Maybe one or two
>and often not even that. Will rap music collapse because it is trying to
>pump out too much product, too quickly??
>
>I would really hate to see it happen, but I can see the natural
>progression of things leading to its demise, sad but true.
>
>Opinions please...

Hip-hop will survive...but it will be much different from the hip-hop
we know today. I see a continued trend towards the "alternative rap,"
with groups like Beck, Beaste Boys, Rage, etc. The line between
rock/alternative and rap will become even more blurred. But I still
think some rap will sound the same as it does today. I also think rap
will be commercially successful as long as it's considered "cool" by
the white suburbanites.

--
bl...@primenet.com |S.D. Chargers in '96!
Tyler Blohm's Little Black |S.D. Padres - '96 NL West Champs!

Phatman

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

>With so many new groups and so many albums coming out every week, what
>does everyone think will happen to hip-hop music?? Has it just blown up
>too quickly, will it fizzle out soon??
>
>What I am saying is, with popular music like rock 'n roll and country,
>etc. there aren't 6 new albums coming out every week. Maybe one or two
>and often not even that. Will rap music collapse because it is trying to
>pump out too much product, too quickly??
>
>I would really hate to see it happen, but I can see the natural
>progression of things leading to its demise, sad but true.
>
>Opinions please...

Well, here is my $30.02:

Hip-Hop is dead according to so many heads (including the Haroon kid). I don't think so
at all, I think that hip-hop is the future of all music. If you look at what hip-hop was, it was a blend of
all types of music in the background with someone saying something (lyrical) in order to 1) provoke
thought, or 2) move a crowd. Well, hip-hop has continued on that path...as far as I'm concerned.

Look to the future:

The Roots, DJ Shadow, Kool Keith, Bootcamp...etc...

Phatman
da...@southeast.net
PHATVILLE http://users.southeast.net/~damon

Bradley Pratt

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

So bashing the term trip hop is in, huh? Whatever. You can say it's
just hip hop if you want. Personally, I'd like to use different words to
describe Portishead and NWA, and "trip hop" gives me that option.

chris

Matt Otto Van Lanen

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

Bradley Pratt (bpr...@uoguelph.ca) wrote:
: So bashing the term trip hop is in, huh? Whatever. You can say it's
: just hip hop if you want. Personally, I'd like to use different words to
: describe Portishead and NWA, and "trip hop" gives me that option.
:
: chris
:
:

This has nothing to do with trip-hop, I can't say I have ever heard any
music that is defined as trip-hop.

I think it is foolish to say, "Hip-hop can't die, it is the only form of
music evolving and changing" or whatever was said exactly. Who knows what
the next generation or two of kids is going to be listening to. Sure
maybe our generation will cling to it, but what about the kids growing up
after us?

For example, in Milwaukee, the skater/punk kids that are my age(21)
listen to
mainly hip-hop music, some punk but mostly hip-hop(i.e., Del, Souls, Wu
etc.) whereas the skater/punks(which I think most kids in the next
generation are going to be) are starting to listen to more and more punk
and metal garbage. My cousin, who we are trying to mold into a hip-hop
fan, is asking for "Glowing Voodoo Skulls" for Christmas where another
friend of mine who is 20 is asking for turntables and vinyl for
Christmas.

I think that with every new generation there is a chance for a major
revolution in music. Look at the Beatles, Elvis, Little Richard. Sure
they were the roots of rock and roll, but their particular style have
died out, no-one can do what they did. Its like Curtis Mayfield said
after he was crushed by the light tower in Atlanta(????) "I miss being
able to play my guitar everyday, I can't pass on my knowledge of how to
play the guitar to anyone else, because I can't handle the guitar and
feel it, my particular genre, my particular style or manner of playing
the guitar is dead forever, there will never be any music that sounds
like Curtis ever again." Its not verbatim, but pretty close to that effect.

Thank god that no-one can copy Curtis, I would hate to hear cheap
immitations.

Anyways, hip-hop could be gone in 20 years, so enjoy it while it lasts.

Jon Madison

Dec 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/10/96

In article <58ikpd$s...@ccshst05.cs.uoguelph.ca>,

Bradley Pratt <bpr...@uoguelph.ca> wrote:
>So bashing the term trip hop is in, huh? Whatever. You can say it's
????
who care's what's in or not. i don't know whether you're
responding to my post or not,but i'm not bashing any term, i'm
speaking my mind (re: trip hop is a label given by those scared
of hip hop)

>just hip hop if you want. Personally, I'd like to use different words to
>describe Portishead and NWA, and "trip hop" gives me that option.

portishead can be grouped under "alternative".

is meat beat manifesto trip hop??

NWA = trip hop????!!

j.
--
(c) 1996 jon madison, webmaster, golden dome productions
mailto:j...@goldendome.com http://ill.beats.com/~jm
219-631-1380

Hard work is underrated.

DeMarco

Dec 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/11/96

gre...@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Matt Otto Van Lanen) wrote:
>I think it is foolish to say, "Hip-hop can't die, it is the only form of
>music evolving and changing" or whatever was said exactly. Who knows what
>the next generation or two of kids is going to be listening to. Sure
>maybe our generation will cling to it, but what about the kids growing up
>after us?

>For example, in Milwaukee, the skater/punk kids that are my age(21)
>listen to
>mainly hip-hop music, some punk but mostly hip-hop(i.e., Del, Souls, Wu
>etc.) whereas the skater/punks(which I think most kids in the next
>generation are going to be) are starting to listen to more and more punk
>and metal garbage. My cousin, who we are trying to mold into a hip-hop
>fan, is asking for "Glowing Voodoo Skulls" for Christmas where another
>friend of mine who is 20 is asking for turntables and vinyl for
>Christmas.

I harldy think that the opinions of 20-something skater punks from
Milwaukee have any possibility of showing the shape, form or loyalty
that hip-hop will undergo. Thats just ridiculous.

>I think that with every new generation there is a chance for a major
>revolution in music. Look at the Beatles, Elvis, Little Richard. Sure
>they were the roots of rock and roll, but their particular style have
>died out, no-one can do what they did. Its like Curtis Mayfield said
>after he was crushed by the light tower in Atlanta(????) "I miss being
>able to play my guitar everyday, I can't pass on my knowledge of how to
>play the guitar to anyone else, because I can't handle the guitar and
>feel it, my particular genre, my particular style or manner of playing
>the guitar is dead forever, there will never be any music that sounds
>like Curtis ever again." Its not verbatim, but pretty close to that effect.

But that's the point, i believe. major revolution? Maybe, but still
stemming from the same root. Rock today is rock yesterday, twisted and
turned, evolved and revolved, but you know it's rock.

Hip-hop tomorrow may be slightly different, or evolved, or, if this
state of affairs stays the same, devolved, but it will still be here
and you will know it's hip-hop music.

>Thank god that no-one can copy Curtis, I would hate to hear cheap
>immitations.

>Anyways, hip-hop could be gone in 20 years, so enjoy it while it lasts.

My dick could be gone in 20 years, but I have to place my bets that
both my dick, and hip-hop music, in some form still resembling todays
hip-hop, will be around. If it takes some hip-hop moguls to begin
re=pressing vynal, running labels, etc., but it will happen.

By the way, for an artists impression of what it'd be like if hip-hop
died, contact me.. I got a little jem in the works over here..I'll
share it with u fans...

Respect,

DeMarco, representing
Schizophrenic

Twilight Productions
Long Island, NY

Tomorrow's Hip-Hop Music...

apage...@aol.com

Dec 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/12/96

In article <58k34t$p...@woody.goldendome.com>, j...@goldendome.com (Jon
Madison) writes:

>>just hip hop if you want. Personally, I'd like to use different words
>>describe Portishead and NWA, and "trip hop" gives me that option.
>portishead can be grouped under "alternative".
>
>is meat beat manifesto trip hop??
>
>NWA = trip hop????!!

i think he/she was saying was that to him/her, portishead and nwa don't
fit in the same category, even though the anti-trip-hop-label folks would
want them to both be called hip-hop.

alan

Sndprint

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/18/96

No doubt,
The hip-hop that I listend to back before BET and MTV. was real!
Now you got these kids taken beats that I remember from the mid 80's back
when I was in highschool and flippin like their new. Kids learn your
history.

Big shout out to ULTRA MAG. Kool Kieth

Cliff

Carerolyn

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/20/96

I don't know much about hip hop because of the type of environmen i live
at, but u have added more to my knowledge. Thank you and I hope to read
more of it!
~Carol

Eldiablob4

Dec 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/21/96

We are two rappers artist trying to find an independent label.Our group is
called
Ill-Natured . We have two producers helping us get out the demo. We have
connections and have the skills enough to get on a major label,
but we don't won't them controling our image and for other reasons. I am
14 and my partner is 13. We don't come off with any wack bass ish or
anything like that. Even though we are young we rap on a REDMAN or KEITH
MURRAY. So if you have
any e-mail ,phone numbers, or regular mail addresses to Indepedent record
labels or dj's please e -mail me with this info.

Thank you
Bobby Louis II