lateef, more.

Julian Myers

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

couple reviews:

lateef, the wreckoning. solsides coming again with probably
the most cohesive aesthetic/crew since heiro. at first i wasn't
thrilled- the rekkid startes with "look, bitch" and i can't stand
dumb ass misogyny. but the shit just grew and grew on me-
the first verse is about battling mc's, its ok but its a typical verse-
the second takes it to a second level, which is a post mortem
detail of what happens to the body after death in forensic detail.
trust me its creepy and mad fucked up. and the end of the second
takes you to the third level, past the materiality of the body
and into the flow, and thats where it leaves you "with terror
in your eyes and a smile on your lips."
soles keeps up their tradition of putting a ton of shit on their
wax- not just instrumentals, but scratchapella, a live style,
and latyrx, with lyrics born, which i must admit is on a level
i have yet to catch up to.

the other thing i gots:
radio sole....
which is a tape, limited to a thousand, of dj shadow, lateef, gift of
gab, blackalicious, and the rest of the sole doing live stuff on the
radio, at shows, and of unreleased tracks. the live shit is rough
but fascinating, especially because i was there for some of the
stuff recorded at the bomb benefit last year- its good to relive
the memory, play it out again. the studio shit are the gems though.
get one if you can, and if you can't theres another radio sole on the way.

and on the northern cali tip:
mystic journeymen, 4001 ep.
i dont remember the song titles, but the second song, the one about
his moms abusing him? that shit hits me so hard its ridiculous-
lyrically and musically its on point, but more than that it just relates
some real shit that i can relate to on a lot of levels. the best
thing about the mystic journeymen is that fact that they arent afraid
to express their own fear and vulnerability- for me thats just deep
shit that we can all feel on some level. their stage presence is weird
and sortof goofy, with skits and shit. but i remember then, when i
was watching them, these moments where i was caught so far into the
music it didnt matter. these moments were what they pressed into
the vinyl, and its flled with soul. plus, it just SOUNDS nice, too.
its shit i can play for my friends who dont listen to much hiphop and
they wont be like "what the fuck is this", like they might be with
lateef or chino or something. it moves the body.

and to leave california (now why would i want to do that)...
chino xl, no complex.
hey, the guy has got skills, he's good and tight. but im just not
with it. i dont know if its his nasal ass voice, or the way
he just spazzes around the beat, im just not there with him. i can
respect someone liking him, because it ain't some pop garbage,
but like i said, i'm just not with it.

i guess thats it. i'd like to hear what y'all think, and i'd really
like to talk more about underground independant shit in general.
yo these people work their ass off as much as those on majors, but
they get less bills, less recognition, and less support. so thats
what im about is supporting those who do it themselves, and giving
them the props they deserve....
thats it.
julian danger

APage20301

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

I heard Lateef's "The Wreckoning" and "Latyrics". Both are very tight,
very innovative. You got an address for Solesides? More importantly, sonce
my turntables are busted, do they sell tapes or (hip-hop blasphemy) CDs? I
know these independent labels rarely put out on CDs, but if they got 'em,
I want 'em. BTW, I played "Latyrics" (the song with Lyrics Born, is that
Asia Born?) for this Bay Area friend of mine who only listens to gangsta
shit and it blew his mind. The man didn't want to give me my headphones
back. When he did give 'em back, he said that Lateef was on "some year
2000 shit". Those are his exact words. I was hysterical. Lateef is blessed
with amazing talent. My other friend thought he was from down South, said
Lateef's stop-and-go flow reminded him of Mystikal. Both men have unique
styles, but I never thought of the connection. Your comments?

Nesta

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96

How can one get that Radio Sole tape? Can you order it directly from Solesides
records? Should you email or call or write them? Someone let me know the
best way to get my hands one of those tapes.
thanks

--
-wta

Most of you can't even understand what I am saying to you
Even in my human form the message I'm relaying

Ant Chapman

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96

In article <4o14ef$5...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, APage20301
<apage...@aol.com> writes

Get da coup from sole...@aol.com

> More importantly, sonce
>my turntables are busted, do they sell tapes or (hip-hop blasphemy) CDs? I
>know these independent labels rarely put out on CDs, but if they got 'em,
>I want 'em.

I know they've definitely got Soleside mix tapes. Not sure about CD's.

Peace!

Ant Chapman

D.J.'in at THE MAC, The Underworld, Camden, London
Fridays, 11-3am

APage20301

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

Now, I'm curious. Could someone post a discography and history of
Solesides (how did they form? where exactly in Cali are they from? Any
collaborations in the works?). BTW, Large Professor told me in the future
he wants to put out instrumental albums. If anybody heard "Listen" on the
B-side (if CDs can be considered to have "B-sides") of his "Mad Scientist"
CD maxi-single, they should know that this may indeed be a phat idea.
Opinions?

Cerkit

May 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/30/96

On 30 May 1996 06:17:38 -0400, APage20301 wrote:

Now, I'm curious. Could someone post a discography and history of
Solesides (how did they form? where exactly in Cali are they from? Any
collaborations in the works?).

What I know of:

DJ Shadow: Entropy
Blackalicious: Melodica EP (this one's available on CD)
Blackalicious: Swan Lake 12" (forgot the name of the b side)
Lateef: Wreckoning 12"
Radio Sole Vol. 1 (sort of a mix tape)

DJ Shadow has also done some stuff on Mo Wax, the only one which I've heard
is "What Does Your Soul Look Like?".

For an up-to-date discography, call them or log on to their web page
(http://www.massive.com/solesides/). They're coming out with a lot of
new shit lately.

As far as where their from, DJ Shadow and Lateef have both claimed the bay
area (Oakland/S.F.) in their records. First time I heard them is here on
the campus radio (KDVS 90.3 for anybody in the Sacramento/Davis area) a few
years ago. I think they hooked up here at UC Davis.

Somebody else here could probably tell you more.

==================
Cerkit [Breaker]
dnb...@ucdavis.edu

Julian Myers

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

there is also the new dj shadow/chief xcel featuring gift of gab split 12".
the shadow side "hardcore (instrumental) hiphop" is so on its riduculous-
when its over i just put the needle back at the beginning. the chief xcel
isnot as great as i was hoping. i mean, lateef and gift on a single track,
bound to be dope, right? nah, its ok. not wack, just not bad. which
is not up to the level theyve been coming at, you know?

heard the new nas record.
ot first i didnt like it much, but now i cant get it out of my head...
that dnt mean its great just catchy. but it is that at least.
julian

Paul Gray

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

: : Lateef: Wreckoning 12"

i like the flip side (latyrix) much better than the wreckoning. It reminds me
alot of Dr.Octagon (aka KoolKieth) sometimes. Both of them sound more like
they are reading poetry rather than rapping. Anyone know if there are others
using this style?

peace
djpj
P.J. Gray pg...@umr.edu
"I always tell the truth, even when i lie!"

J. Winston Chiong

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

Is it just me, or do the Solesides intentionally put their most
incredible songs on B-sides to A-sides that are usually just above
average?

Send Them b/w Entropy
Lyric Fathom b/w Swan Lake
The Wreckoning b/w Latyrx
Planet X b/w Hardcore Instrumental Hip Hop

Just something I was wondering about. Also, does anyone know who Shadow
is dissing in B-boy's Revenge? Lordz of Brooklyn?

"When I get bubbly
I call my ex to
see if she still loves me..."

- Common (Sense)

Jazzbo/Joseph Patel

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

All of SoleSides' shit is dope. But then again, I'm biased aren't I?

Shadow wasn't dissing any group in particular...in fact, his exposition
was a little ahead of his time. There was a news segment that came out
in early '90, on 20/20 and i think BET might have picked it up, but it
was about white italian kids in brooklyn forming a rap group. they were
low on the notoriety scale, but it was still comedy and that's who
shadow was makin' fun of. then lo and behold, a few years later...

Cerkit

Jun 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/10/96

On Thu, 06 Jun 1996 23:10:06 -0700, Jazzbo/Joseph Patel wrote:

Shadow wasn't dissing any group in particular...in fact, his exposition
was a little ahead of his time. There was a news segment that came out
in early '90, on 20/20 and i think BET might have picked it up, but it
was about white italian kids in brooklyn forming a rap group. they were

low on the notoriety scale, but it was still comedy and that's who
shadow was makin' fun of. then lo and behold, a few years later...

Oh shit, I remember that... It was on an MTV "Rapumentary" several years
ago. Those kids played themselves on that interview.

Are you suggesting that those are the same guys that are now Lords of
Brooklyn?

Cerkit [Breaker]
dnb...@ucdavis.edu