The Omen of Turtles

Ed Chapin

Aug 14, 2008, 11:06:34 AM8/14/08
A month or so ago, on one of the few sunny Saturdays in this
exceedingly wet summer, I chanced upon a turtle crossing Route 9
between Wells and North Berwick, near the busy intersection with Route
9B. Now, having the benefit of advanced human intellect, I can think
of better places to cross the road. In my opinion, this would be
especially true if you were a turtle, and even more especially true at
Satuiday noon in the height of tourist season. Of course, turtles
being turtles and all, they tend to have a different philosphy
regarding these matters. Be that as it may. I pulled over and lended
assistance, likely saving the aforementioned turtle a good 15 minutes
or so, if he/she was quite fortunate on this particular day.

As fate would have it, I encountered another turtle crossing the road
just yesterday, on Knight's Pond Road in South Berwick. Since I
happened to be in practice, I once again stopped to lend assistance,
and was glad I did as a steady stream of traffic magically appeared as
I gently placed the turtle beside the road, pointed in the direction
of the pond. I trust that the age-old compass of turtledom safely
guided the creature the rest of the way.

Funny. I have not been able to pinpoint the exact origins, but I have
since seemed to occasionally drift into a hazy memory of helping
another turtle across the road, in another time and space. Twice in
one month though?

To top it all off, I could swear that the second turtle was an
identical twin of the first. How strange it all is.

Now, my question is this: Does anybody have a copy of JGB 11/9/93
they can B&P me?

Ed

SkyYellow...@hotmail.com

Aug 14, 2008, 11:40:56 AM8/14/08
On Aug 14, 10:06 am, Ed Chapin <edchapi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Now, my question is this:  Does anybody have a copy of JGB 11/9/93
> they can B&P me?
>
> Ed

Isnt that the famed "guerilla" show that Jerry pulled off in Iceland?

Joker

Aug 14, 2008, 11:51:04 AM8/14/08
On Aug 14, 8:40 am, "SkyYellowSunUSBl...@hotmail.com"

Didn't The Turtles reunite to open that one? Or was that Flo and Eddie?

DGDevin

Aug 14, 2008, 12:09:59 PM8/14/08

Wasn't that the one and only performance of "Box Turtle of Rain?"

Ed Chapin

Jun 13, 2022, 6:53:21 AM6/13/22
On Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 11:40:56 AM UTC-4, SplinteredSunlight wrote:
> On Aug 14, 10:06 am, Ed Chapin wrote:
> >
> > Now, my question is this: Does anybody have a copy of JGB 11/9/93
> > they can B&P me?
> >
> > Ed
> Isnt that the famed "guerilla" show that Jerry pulled off in Iceland?

No, that was the infamous "rubber ducky" show in Ice9land!

Ed

Ed Chapin

Jun 13, 2022, 6:56:32 AM6/13/22
On Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 11:51:04 AM UTC-4, Joker wrote:
> On Aug 14, 8:40 am, "Splintered Sunlight" wrote:
> > On Aug 14, 10:06 am, Ed Chapin wrote:
> >

> > > Now, my question is this: Does anybody have a copy of JGB 11/9/93
> > > they can B&P me?
> >
> > > Ed
> >
> > Isnt that the famed "guerilla" show that Jerry pulled off in Iceland?
> Didn't The Turtles reunite to open that one? Or was that Flo and Eddie?

No, that was Winslow and Eddie!

Ed

Ed Chapin

Jun 13, 2022, 7:22:50 AM6/13/22
On Thursday, August 14, 2008 at 12:09:59 PM UTC-4, DGDevin wrote:
> Joker wrote:

> >> Isnt that the famed "guerilla" show that Jerry pulled off in Iceland?
> >
> > Didn't The Turtles reunite to open that one? Or was that Flo and
> > Eddie?
> Wasn't that the one and only performance of "Box Turtle of Rain?"

Perhaps, but I heard it was a rather Blanding's rendition.

Ed

Band Beyond Youall

Jun 13, 2022, 10:43:52 PM6/13/22
Eddie!

Ed Chapin

Jun 16, 2022, 9:26:14 AM6/16/22
As an aside, I dug up this article from 2013, which lists many turtle crossing spots known to the State of Maine. Of particular note are "North Berwick Road (actually in Wells)" and "Cheney Woods Road," which very nearly converge at the spot where I helped the first turtle across the road back in 2008.

Ed

~~~~~

"Two types, the Blanding's and spotted turtle, both protected under Maine's Endangered Species Act, face extinction if mortality rates increase by even 2 to 3 percent, Hailey said."

AND

"Roads in southern Maine known for turtle activity include:

North Berwick Road, Boyd's Corner, Thurrell Road, Bennett Lot Road, Emery's Bridge Road, Ogunquit Road in South Berwick; Cheney Woods Road and Tatnic Road in Wells; Belle Marsh Road in South Berwick and York; Route 91 in South Berwick and York; Scituate Road, Chases Pond Road and Mountain Road in York."

https://www.seacoastonline.com/story/news/local/portsmouth-herald/2013/06/02/watch-out-for-turtles-slowly/45746017007/
tinyurl.com/23enx3pe

Joel J. Reisteter

Jun 26, 2022, 8:00:40 PM6/26/22
SHOW DETAILS

Cumberland County Civic Center
Portland, ME., USA

Jerry Garcia Band / Fall Tour 1993
November 9, 1993

SET 1
How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You)
Stop That Train
Let It Rock
Forever Young
Ain't No Bread In The Breadbox >
My Sisters And Brothers >
Everybody Needs Somebody To Love

SET 2
Shining Star
Russian Lullaby
Tore Up Over You
Reuben And Cherise
Wonderful World
The Maker
Tangled Up In Blue

One of the best shows of this tour and maybe the longest too. You get everything you want and more. Jerry simply poured his heart out for this one. It was the first time many folks on the east coast had heard ” Everybody Needs Somebody” and it was an excellent version and quite the number to end the first set. Set two is as good as it is on paper. I mean Shining Star and The Maker in the same set as Reuben & Cherise and a Wonderful World? Heaven on your and the vibe in Portland was as kicked back as it could get.
This show will be released sometime soon or whenever they feel the time is right.

Happy trails!