Almost as bad as Bob's slide playing

volkfolk

Apr 7, 2010, 8:12:36 AM4/7/10
Jimmy Page playing the slide solo on Layla with Clapton and Jeff Beck.
It's pretty cool none the less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpxgxThG7s

Scot

Edwin Hurwitz

Apr 7, 2010, 12:54:04 PM4/7/10
In article
<cddd6ed3-448e-4977...@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
volkfolk <volk...@verizon.net> wrote:

Every band needs to get their well dressed butler to play tambourine.

Edwin

Edwin Hurwitz

Apr 7, 2010, 1:00:23 PM4/7/10

Damn, he went apeshit on the gongs, too!

As far as the slide goes, I've never heard a Brit play slide like Duane.
I guess they didn't follow his slide learning method:

Take a fishing rod and a guitar and a bag of coke to the creek and sit
there until the bag is gone all the while practicing slide and not doing
much fishing.

3jane.

Apr 7, 2010, 1:06:13 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 1:00 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:

> >  volkfolk <volkfo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Jimmy Page playing the slide solo on Layla with Clapton and Jeff Beck.
>
> As far as the slide goes, I've never heard a Brit play slide like Duane.
> I guess they didn't follow his slide learning method:

I never thought of it in those terms but slide does seen to be an
American thing for the most part, at least as far as who comes to mind
as the "best' slide players-Duane, LG, Ry, Derek Trucks etc.-are, for
me, mainly Yanks. Who are the superb Brit slide players I'm missing?

Lfh

Apr 7, 2010, 1:15:54 PM4/7/10

Interesting point. I can't think of any, either, or even average ones.
Steve Howe was an amazing steel player, though totally out of the
traditional sound of the cowboy and Jerry stuff, but he didn't play
bottleneck.

Btw, I'm sure I'm having a brain lock, but who's LG, and please add
David Lindley to the list.

Fred

marcman

Apr 7, 2010, 1:49:37 PM4/7/10

Lowell George perhaps?

ML

Apr 7, 2010, 2:05:09 PM4/7/10

Absolutely David Lindley.
And Martin Mull, playing slide
on his ukele with a baby bottle :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ng1ONwlzL4

3jane.

Apr 7, 2010, 2:54:07 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 1:15 pm, Lfh <onetaste2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I never thought of it in those terms but slide does seen to be an
> > American thing for the most part, at least as far as who comes to mind
> > as the "best' slide players-Duane, LG, Ry, Derek Trucks etc.-are, for
> > me, mainly Yanks.  Who are the superb Brit slide players I'm missing?
>
> Interesting point. I can't think of any, either, or even average ones.
> Steve Howe was an amazing steel player, though totally out of the
> traditional sound of the cowboy and Jerry stuff, but he didn't play
> bottleneck.
>
> Btw, I'm sure I'm having a brain lock, but who's LG, and please add
> David Lindley to the list.

I'll add Lindley to just about any list out there but in the (quite a
few) times I saw him live, 90%+ of his electric slide was pedal steel
and that (to me anyway) is a different list. One Brit who's pretty
awesome though he doesn't do a whole bunch of it is Richard Thompson.

James Pablos

Apr 7, 2010, 3:52:53 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 8:12 am, volkfolk <volkfo...@verizon.net> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpxgxThG7s

I accidentally the whole thing.

Lfh

Apr 7, 2010, 4:15:37 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 10:49 am, marcman <marcmanstud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I never thought of it in those terms but slide does seen to be an
> > > American thing for the most part, at least as far as who comes to mind
> > > as the "best' slide players-Duane, LG, Ry, Derek Trucks etc.-are, for
> > > me, mainly Yanks. Who are the superb Brit slide players I'm missing?
>
> > Interesting point. I can't think of any, either, or even average ones.
> > Steve Howe was an amazing steel player, though totally out of the
> > traditional sound of the cowboy and Jerry stuff, but he didn't play
> > bottleneck.
>
> > Btw, I'm sure I'm having a brain lock, but who's LG, and please add
> > David Lindley to the list.
>
> > Fred
>
> Lowell George perhaps?

Doh! Of course.

Fred

Lfh

Apr 7, 2010, 4:19:13 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 11:05 am, ML <mary.egret1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I never thought of it in those terms but slide does seen to be an
> > > American thing for the most part, at least as far as who comes to mind
> > > as the "best' slide players-Duane, LG, Ry, Derek Trucks etc.-are, for
> > > me, mainly Yanks. Who are the superb Brit slide players I'm missing?
>
> > Interesting point. I can't think of any, either, or even average ones.
> > Steve Howe was an amazing steel player, though totally out of the
> > traditional sound of the cowboy and Jerry stuff, but he didn't play
> > bottleneck.
>
> > Btw, I'm sure I'm having a brain lock, but who's LG, and please add
> > David Lindley to the list.
>
> > Fred
>
> Absolutely David Lindley.
> And Martin Mull, playing slide
> on his ukele with a baby bottle :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ng1ONwlzL4

Ah, good call, Mary. MM was a very talented guy. Now, as far as killer
slide players along with the novelty bit, by all means ya gotta add
Danny Gatton and his beer bottle slide extravaganzas. What a freak of
nature *that* guy was.

Fred

9fingers

Apr 7, 2010, 4:30:37 PM4/7/10

Bonnie's not bad either.

JimK

Apr 7, 2010, 5:05:40 PM4/7/10
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:06:13 -0700 (PDT), "3jane." <q3j...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

Rory Gallagher, Mick Taylor.

JimK

volkfolk

Apr 7, 2010, 7:58:56 PM4/7/10
On Apr 7, 1:00 pm, Edwin Hurwitz <ed...@indra.com> wrote:
> In article
> <cddd6ed3-448e-4977-8626-f7a67c6ec...@i25g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

>  volkfolk <volkfo...@verizon.net> wrote:
> > Jimmy Page playing the slide solo on Layla with Clapton and Jeff Beck.
> > It's pretty cool none the less
>
> >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICpxgxThG7s
>
> > Scot
>
> Damn, he went apeshit on the gongs, too!
>
> As far as the slide goes, I've never heard a Brit play slide like Duane.
> I guess they didn't follow his slide learning method:
>
> Take a fishing rod and a guitar and a bag of coke to the creek and sit
> there until the bag is gone all the while practicing slide and not doing
> much fishing.

That sounds about right :)

But slide is really it's own animal. There are lots of great players
who can do it well

Clapton does pretty respectable slide in open G. Rollin and Tumblin
and Motherless Children are both pretty solid interpretations. Ron
Wood is no slouch either. Hell even Jimmy Page kicks it out on "In My
Time of Dying"

But none of them hold a candle to guys like Duane, Derek, Sonny
Landreth etc

Scot.

marcman

Apr 7, 2010, 8:03:15 PM4/7/10

As I'm reading this, Derek and the Dominos Jam II is playing on the
Sirius.

I love moments like these . . .

Edwin Hurwitz

Apr 7, 2010, 9:25:17 PM4/7/10
In article
<8699de23-6381-4bcb...@z4g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Lfh <onetas...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Lowell George is my guess. Let's not forget Elmore James, Muddy Waters
and Earl Hooker et al. Slide playing did not come from the suburbs.

Edwin

Edwin Hurwitz

Apr 7, 2010, 9:25:23 PM4/7/10

Sweetbac

Apr 7, 2010, 10:33:27 PM4/7/10

"Edwin Hurwitz" <ed...@indra.com> wrote in message

>> Bonnie's not bad either.
>
> +1

We allready mentioned Lowell George.

Edwin Hurwitz

Apr 7, 2010, 10:49:13 PM4/7/10
In article <hpjfad$r6e$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Sweetbac" <swee...@scbglobal.net> wrote:

Heh.

the felonious kidd

Apr 8, 2010, 2:59:02 AM4/8/10
On Apr 7, 1:19 pm, Lfh <onetaste2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Ah, good call, Mary. MM was a very talented guy.

I believe Martin Mull still is. Though I don't know how his slide
skills have held up.

Johnny Winter,
Ry Cooder,
Jerry fuckin' Douglas