Dick's Picks, Road Trips, & Dave's Picks - USA only?

DLee1...@aol.com

Aug 23, 2021, 10:52:48 AM8/23/21
Sorry if this is a stupid question that's already been asked here before, but I've noticed that for the 3 series Dick's Picks, Road Trips, & Dave's Picks, only 1 release out of the total of 92 so far has featured a show that was not performed in the USA - the Sept. 9, 10, & 11 shows of 1974 at Alexandra Palace in London, England on "Dick's Picks Vol. 7" (3CD).

So why only 1 venue not in the USA? Just a coincidence, or was this the way all 3 series were intended to be from the start? Could we actually expect one of the upcoming releases in the Dave's Picks series to feature a show not in the USA, or not?

Also, has anyone ever said how many more volumes there will be in the Dave's Picks series? Just curiously wondering about the future. Thanks.

yoker56

Aug 23, 2021, 6:11:59 PM8/23/21
According to Dead Base 10, there were only 94 international shows.
Of that, 26 shows have been officially released:
22 shows of Europe 72 the complete recordings,
2 shows from the Pacific Northwest 1973 - '74 box, (Vancouver, BC 6/22/73 & 5/17/74)
2 shows from 30 Trips Around the Sun box (Paris France 10/27/90 & Hamilton ONT 3/20/92)

As for the Dave's Picks Series, this business model is working very well for Rhino Entertainment and
Grateful Dead Productions, so why mess up a good thing?
If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
Also, Dave himself is happy with the release series.
No foreseeable end in the near future.
Can you imagine a Dave's Picks Volume 60, a Dave's Picks Volume 75, or even a Dave's Picks Volume 100?

Rick Wolfish

Aug 25, 2021, 11:28:50 AM8/25/21
I have the box set of Europe 72, fantastic but a little sad knowing Pig pen was near his end of life

weary flake

Sep 20, 2021, 3:10:47 PM9/20/21
On 8/23/21 3:11 PM, yoker56 wrote:
> On Monday, August 23, 2021 at 10:52:48 AM UTC-4, DLee1...@aol.com wrote:
>> Sorry if this is a stupid question that's already been asked here before, but I've noticed that for the 3 series Dick's Picks, Road Trips, & Dave's Picks, only 1 release out of the total of 92 so far has featured a show that was not performed in the USA - the Sept. 9, 10, & 11 shows of 1974 at Alexandra Palace in London, England on "Dick's Picks Vol. 7" (3CD).
>>
>> So why only 1 venue not in the USA? Just a coincidence, or was this the way all 3 series were intended to be from the start? Could we actually expect one of the upcoming releases in the Dave's Picks series to feature a show not in the USA, or not?

I never noticed that, maybe because of the Dick's Picks 7 that you mentioned.

>> Also, has anyone ever said how many more volumes there will be in the Dave's Picks series? Just curiously wondering about the future. Thanks.
>

> According to Dead Base 10, there were only 94 international shows.
> Of that, 26 shows have been officially released:
> 22 shows of Europe 72 the complete recordings,
> 2 shows from the Pacific Northwest 1973 - '74 box, (Vancouver, BC 6/22/73 & 5/17/74)
> 2 shows from 30 Trips Around the Sun box (Paris France 10/27/90 & Hamilton ONT 3/20/92)
>
> As for the Dave's Picks Series, this business model is working very well for Rhino Entertainment and
> Grateful Dead Productions, so why mess up a good thing?
> If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.
> Also, Dave himself is happy with the release series.
> No foreseeable end in the near future.
> Can you imagine a Dave's Picks Volume 60, a Dave's Picks Volume 75, or even a Dave's Picks Volume 100?

Dave's Picks is too rigid, always 3 CDs, always the same size in digipack.
Dicks Picks were from 1 - 6 CDs in different jewel cases and Road trips
varied from 2 + 1, 3 + 1, and 4, with the unnecessary addition of the
"we want one of our discs to be out of print to make our releases
incomplete to casual customers".

Dicks Picks were the only ones that were sold in a way, that isn't
consumer-hostile, not in the "this is only going to be available briefly,
we want most of our catalog to be permanently out of print at all times" way.

I was attracted to GD from the big selection of GD CDs in record
stores, with Dick's Picks prominent, and definitely wasn't attracted to
"exclusivity". Supply Creates Demand, not scarcity marketing games.

yoker56

Sep 23, 2021, 9:26:13 PM9/23/21
On Monday, September 20, 2021 at 3:10:47 PM UTC-4, weary flake wrote:
> Dave's Picks is too rigid, always 3 CDs, always the same size in digipack.

The Dave's Picks format is 3 discs, with the exception of Dave's Picks Volume 36,
which is 4 discs. DaP 36 is Hartford Civic Center 3/26-27/87. Complete shows
musically, but I suspect there were some minor edits in audience sounds to make
the shows fit on 2 discs per show. If there were edits, they're hardly noticeable.