A Note From Joe

Joe

Jan 1, 2010, 7:52:14 AM1/1/10
Just about a year ago, I started feeling some pain. Having health
insurance got me to the doc mighty quick, and it took until February for
the complete diagnosis to come through. I had Stage 4 Lung Cancer, meaning
it's already spread to my liver, where there's a big honking tumor.

I went for 6 cycles of Chemotherapy, 12 sessions in total, from Feb -
July, and responded fabulously. I had energy and strength, and when I saw
Walter at Jerry Day or Katrinka or Sue Weind at several live shows, or
anyone else I ran into that I'm forgetting, I'm sure they had no idea
anything was amiss. Hell; just about a month ago, I went to 4 shows in a 2
week period.

But, there's no cure, so they also have me on some strong pain-killers,
and to tell the truth, I'm not complaining about being on morphine since
February. It had no negative effect, and I remain lucid. And active. I
went to England in September. And when I got back, I started feeling the
pain again, and the doc put me on a 2nd type of Chemotherapy, one that
just kicked my ass. Well that, and combined with the fact that there's no
cure and a down-hill slide will inevitably happen, and that started, oh,
maybe a month ago, just as I re-started the Chemo. I was down to 108 lb. a
month ago, but am now back up to 127 lb.

When I went for my Chemo session the other day, the Oncologist said it
obviously wasn't working and I agreed 100%. After all, a few weeks ago, I
had the worst week of my life, unable to get out of bed, unable to eat. I
am able to eat a little more now, but not much. Sadly, my "appetite
enhancer" last used maybe 10 days ago, got me coughing like crazy ever
since (or is that the disease, I dunno) and I just haven't felt like
eating the brownies/cookies I have frozen. That stuff really knocks me
out, and on top of the 3 narcotics I'm on, I'm covered psychologically,
sort-of. Actually, I've been kind of upbeat and energetic ever since this
all started, which has been inspirational and surprising to everyone I
know, me included.

To make a long story short, I was visited yesterday by hospice, and I felt
like they really cared and that I'll be in good hands. Meanwhile, all
sorts of Guardian Angels I've met through my involvement in several local
environmental organizations, people have come out of the woodwork to
deliver me such fabulous meals as Organic Butternut Squash Soup, enough
for 3 or 4 days at a time. Sadly, I have a freezer full of food, but I'm
not really hungry. And on that reminder, I just reached for the sorbet.
Oh, yumm. And, there's been an outpouring of support for me from the Marin
Chapter of the California Native Plant Society, an organization that I'm
now President of. You find your real friends when the shit hits the fan,
and I have.

But, I've hung out on rmgd - with one 18 month hiatus - since the week
after Jerry died, and it's been a part of my life. One that I've wanted to
keep mum about the illness, just because everything changes when you get
sick and people treat you different. But, what the hell. I'm spilling the
beans, and I hope I don't regret it, as I know I have my detractors here.
But hey, that's all water under the bridge. At least to me it is.

I have to ask a favor though, as my time is limited. I need to get a Will
together, actually a Living Trust, and that's my Number 1 Priority from
which I can't be distracted. I've been to the lawyer, have all the forms I
need to fill out for him, and I just need to do it. That's a big reason
I've requested no healing vibes or e-mails. It takes too much time and
energy, as you all know. Especially when you need to repeat yourself over
and over again. Plus I have friends and family coming over all the time.
and if I don't do it, my nieces and nephews will pay dearly for my
negligence.

So, let me keep you updated in public, right here on rmgd, if and when
anything changes. But, I still love my rock 'n roll, and hope to jump in
on some discussions - but NO Flame Fests.

On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Joe Kohn

Bzl.

Jan 1, 2010, 8:48:04 AM1/1/10

Goddamn, well I declare, you have a fantastic Happy and Healthy New
Year, too, Joe! And thanks for sharing! (though I totally understand
the hesitation to do so.)

It sure sounds like you got the right attitude going on to make your
stand. That's real important.

Rev.Logan 714

Jan 1, 2010, 8:59:54 AM1/1/10

how is this? happy new year and i pray you see many more See no
healing vibes or e-mails

love you
logan

Message has been deleted

volkfolk

Jan 1, 2010, 9:50:57 AM1/1/10
On Jan 1, 9:26 am, band beyond description
<everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:
> On 2010-01-01 22:48:04 +0900, Bzl. <bzl...@aolaol.com> said:
> exactly what Bzl said.  pump it up and enjoy what you can when you can,
> and consider us at your disposal for anything you need.  Happy New
> Year, Joe!
> --
> Peace,
> Steve

What they said Joe. I've got nothing more to add other than to say
that I hope everyday is filled with friends and music.

Scot

The old geezer

Jan 1, 2010, 10:09:11 AM1/1/10
On Jan 1, 7:52�am, Joe <j...@nospam.com> wrote:

> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

Good Luck, Joe. Keep those Gene Clark cds spinnin'.....

The old geezer

AirtimeJunkie

Jan 1, 2010, 10:32:15 AM1/1/10

Have a good New Year's, Joe!

Kevin

Steve Terry

Jan 1, 2010, 10:46:35 AM1/1/10
Happy New Year, Joe!

gratefuljoe

Jan 1, 2010, 10:50:01 AM1/1/10
Best Wishes on Your Struggle Joe and Happy New Year!

ML

Jan 1, 2010, 11:26:58 AM1/1/10
I will be thinking of you
and hoping for a miracle.
Message has been deleted

octoad

Jan 1, 2010, 12:02:21 PM1/1/10

"Joe" <jo...@nospam.com> wrote in message

This will probably make you gag, but this kind of reminds me of how gracious
and classy and well-grounded Ronald Reagan was when he announced he had
Alzheimers!

Sorry, couldn't think of a famous leftist radical who handled this kind of
thing so well, although I'm sure there are many. Hehe.

Hang tough dude.

marcman

Jan 1, 2010, 12:37:27 PM1/1/10

Joe,

My sincerest best wishes to you for a happy and healthy new year,
sir.

Marc

DGDevin

Jan 1, 2010, 1:33:23 PM1/1/10

"Joe" <jo...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> So, let me keep you updated in public, right here on rmgd, if and when

> anything changes. But, I still love my rock 'n roll, and hope to jump in
> on some discussions - but NO Flame Fests.
>
> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
>
> Joe Kohn

I'm sorry to hear of your illness Joe, and I hope the music helps you
through this tough time. There have been times when music has been my
salvation and I'm sure that someone who loves music as much as you will take
comfort from it as well. Best wishes you old coot.

frndthdevl

Jan 1, 2010, 2:09:46 PM1/1/10
Take up where you left off
when the world blows apart
Take it how you find it
They say that's the art
Circles what you run in
when you do not walk the line
If you ever need a friend
put your hand in mine
rh

Ken Fortenberry

Jan 1, 2010, 2:18:36 PM1/1/10
Joe wrote:
> <snip>

> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

You'll have the strength to face whatever comes your way
with grace and dignity. Of this, I am sure.

And a Happy and Healthy New Year to you as well.

--
Ken Fortenberry

RandyStoner

Jan 1, 2010, 2:29:02 PM1/1/10

Although I've never met you except through the newsgroup, I had always
hoped to see the Mt. Tam wildflowers with you and to meet Geraldine.
Good luck on getting through this stage of your life. I hope if it
happens to me, I can face it with the kind of attitude you are
showing. May the four winds blow you safely home.

Randy Stoner

Joe

Jan 1, 2010, 2:35:46 PM1/1/10
Thanks all for the well wishes and Happy New Year.

Joe

Corky

Jan 1, 2010, 2:37:13 PM1/1/10
You are a good man, Joe K. Peace and comfort to you.

Corky

theothr1

Jan 1, 2010, 4:45:35 PM1/1/10

Say it aint so, Joe.
Thanks for sharing the news, as hard as it was, and is to hear.
I've missed your stories of Mt Tam and your Republican rants.
Happy New Weir to you man. Love is real. Roxie

Edwin Hurwitz

Jan 1, 2010, 4:56:20 PM1/1/10
Words cannot express, but you have my love and good vibes coming your
way. Your attitude is inspiring, as have been your actions in bringing
the beauty and appreciation of the natural treasures to the attention of
us all, whether we've gotten to go on the flower hikes in person or in
spirit!

Edwin
--
If you want to make peace, you don't talk to your friends. You talk to your
enemies.

Edwin Hurwitz

Jan 1, 2010, 4:57:50 PM1/1/10
In article <7q6f1i...@mid.individual.net>,

band beyond description <everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:

> On 2010-01-01 22:48:04 +0900, Bzl. <bzl...@aolaol.com> said:
>

> exactly what Bzl said. pump it up and enjoy what you can when you can,
> and consider us at your disposal for anything you need. Happy New
> Year, Joe!

What he said. Anything you need, let us know!

Sweetbac

Jan 1, 2010, 5:40:05 PM1/1/10

"Joe" <jo...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> So, let me keep you updated in public, right here on rmgd, if and when

> anything changes. But, I still love my rock 'n roll, and hope to jump in
> on some discussions - but NO Flame Fests.
>
> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
>
> Joe Kohn

Damn....it took strength just to write that.
Get those papers filled out, Joe.
( I trust Geraldine will be in good hands!)
You're not going anywhere yet...so keep up the
good attitude and ride this out into infinity.
We all missed you at the lunch yesterday....
we ordered "Smoked" Duck in yer honor.

3jane.

Jan 1, 2010, 5:53:46 PM1/1/10
> So, let me keep you updated in public, right here on rmgd, if and when
> anything changes. But, I still love my rock 'n roll, and hope to jump in
> on some discussions - but NO Flame Fests.
>
> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
>
> Joe Kohn

All respect bro, just tons of respect. I expect to see you around,
let's get in an arguement about something in 2010.

Commander Salamander

Jan 1, 2010, 6:10:17 PM1/1/10
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 09:02:21 -0800, "octoad" <dav...@sonic.net> wrote:

>This will probably make you gag, but this kind of reminds me of how gracious
>and classy and well-grounded Ronald Reagan was when he announced he had
>Alzheimers!
>
>Sorry, couldn't think of a famous leftist radical who handled this kind of
>thing so well, although I'm sure there are many. Hehe.
>
>Hang tough dude.

When I first read the header, I thought maybe Joe was going to confess
that was switching to the GOP.

Sorry...couldn't resist! ;)

C.S.

Commander Salamander

Jan 1, 2010, 6:24:31 PM1/1/10
On Fri, 01 Jan 2010 12:52:14 +0000, Joe <jo...@nospam.com> wrote:

Sending out the healing & feel good vibes from the East Bay!

C.S.

Andrew

Jan 1, 2010, 7:11:02 PM1/1/10
Joe wrote:

> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
>
> Joe Kohn

The only thing I can think to see in the face of this is something a
friend of ours used to say:

Wildflower seed in the sand and stone,
May the four winds blow you safely home...

Seth Buttock

Jan 1, 2010, 7:41:04 PM1/1/10
> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.
>
> Joe Kohn

Sincerely sorry to hear this Joe. Your courage and grace in facing
this is truly admirable.

Olompali4

Jan 1, 2010, 8:33:05 PM1/1/10
Listen to the river sing sweet songs.

Walter Karmazyn

Jan 1, 2010, 9:00:11 PM1/1/10
Joe wrote:
> Just about a year ago, I started feeling some pain. Having health
> insurance got me to the doc mighty quick, and it took until February for
> the complete diagnosis to come through. I had Stage 4 Lung Cancer, meaning
> it's already spread to my liver, where there's a big honking tumor.
>
> I went for 6 cycles of Chemotherapy, 12 sessions in total, from Feb -
> July, and responded fabulously. I had energy and strength, and when I saw
> Walter at Jerry Day or Katrinka or Sue Weind at several live shows, or
> anyone else I ran into that I'm forgetting, I'm sure they had no idea
> anything was amiss. Hell; just about a month ago, I went to 4 shows in a 2
> week period.

You had me fooled, for sure. Hell, less than a month ago you invited me
on a hike in the East Bay that you were going to lead 12 days ago. So
here it is, dear friend, healing vibes from me, don't worry about
responding, you got more important things on your mind. I do live in
the area and you do have my number, if that's spaced, you know my email.
Give a call if you need anything.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sherry in Vermont

Jan 1, 2010, 11:25:36 PM1/1/10
On 2010-01-01 09:50:57 -0500, volkfolk <volk...@verizon.net> said:

> On Jan 1, 9:26�am, band beyond description

> <everybody's.d...@that.rag.com> wrote:

> or
> ning

> saw
> a 2
>>

>>> Goddamn, well I declare, you have �a fantastic Happy and Healthy New
>>> Year, too, Joe! �And thanks for sharing! (though I totally understand
>>> the hesitation to do so.)
>>
>>> It sure sounds like you got the right attitude going on to make your
>>> stand. �That's real important.
>>
>> exactly what Bzl said. �pump it up and enjoy what you can when you can,
>> and consider us at your disposal for anything you need. �Happy New
>> Year, Joe!

>> --
>> Peace,
>> Steve
>
> What they said Joe. I've got nothing more to add other than to say
> that I hope everyday is filled with friends and music.
>
> Scot

What they all said, Joe....

Sherry in Vermont

JimK

Jan 2, 2010, 12:18:18 AM1/2/10
Stay strong and when your strength fades, lean on the ones you love.

A box of rain will ease the pain
and love will see you through.
---------

JimK

bigrr

Jan 2, 2010, 3:47:01 AM1/2/10
Shit Joe, I'm sorry to hear this. Hang tough and accept help. I'm glad
you're hooked up with Hospice. They're good folks. I'm down in San
Carlos, but if you need errands run, music or DVD's, a still-somewhat
strong back for anything, give me a holler. I'm willing to help.

Healing vibes your way, Rick

Schmoe

Jan 2, 2010, 11:54:18 AM1/2/10
> [...]

> I have to ask a favor though, as my time is limited. I need to get a Will
> together, actually a Living Trust, and that's my Number 1 Priority from
> which I can't be distracted. I've been to the lawyer, have all the forms I

> need to fill out for him, and I just need to do it. That's a big reason
> I've requested no healing vibes or e-mails. It takes too much time and
> energy, as you all know. Especially when you need to repeat yourself over
> and over again. Plus I have friends and family coming over all the time.
> and if I don't do it, my nieces and nephews will pay dearly for my
> negligence.
>
> So, let me keep you updated in public, right here on rmgd, if and when
> anything changes. But, I still love my rock 'n roll, and hope to jump in
> on some discussions - but NO Flame Fests.
>
> On that note, have a Happy and Healthy New Year.

You remind me that the only true gift in life is time and only when it seems
there's less do we fully appreciate each moment more and those before. Thank
you sharing your time. Through these portals we all must travel, each on our
own way. Your spirit is strong. Cheers.

Susan J Weiand

Jan 2, 2010, 2:22:07 PM1/2/10
Out of deep lurk mode to reply. Joe, you are courageous and stay
strong. My thoughts and healing vibes are being beamed to you. You do
not have to respond.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Joe>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your friend,
Sue

katrinka

Jan 2, 2010, 2:32:49 PM1/2/10

I think Sue said it very well, Joe.

I'd love to drive over to see you, if you feel up to it. But I'll wait
to hear from you rather than try to call or e-mail (and if I don't
hear from you, I understand.)

Sorry if I was too upbeat in my last e-mail. The word "hospice" had
not yet come up and I was really hoping I'd be seeing you soon at the
142 Throckmorton or Masonic Hall in Mill Valley.

Love and hugs,

katrinka

J.C. Martin

Jan 2, 2010, 9:39:37 PM1/2/10
Joe, I don't even know what to say man. You're a really sweet guy,
and meeting you was a very positive experience for me. My thoughts,
prayers, love beams, etc are all directed your way whether you want
them or not. I know I'm a ways down the road from you, but if you
need ANYTHING, please email me. I've dealt with this disease in my
own family and I can empathize with what you're going through. You
have a the right attitude, and I know it takes a lot of inner strength
to come from that place. Know that you are admired by everyone here;
that I am sure of.

Best,
JC

da Flower Punk

Jan 2, 2010, 10:17:17 PM1/2/10
Oh. Shit.

I'm so very, very sorry to hear this, Joe. As others have said, I
greatly admire your courage and grace.

I wish you nothing but the very best. I hope you'll be with us a long
time, too.

More positive vibes heading your way from the East Bay.

JimK

Jan 3, 2010, 12:45:31 AM1/3/10

Almost everyone; I'm not so sure about the Republicans.

JimK

Olompali4

Jan 3, 2010, 6:13:38 AM1/3/10
On Jan 2, 11:45 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:39:37 -0800 (PST), "J.C. Martin"

Fuck the Repugs....

J.C. Martin

Jan 3, 2010, 11:04:10 AM1/3/10
On Jan 2, 9:45 pm, JimK <jkezw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 18:39:37 -0800 (PST), "J.C. Martin"

True dat. ;-)

-JC

DanPopp

Jan 3, 2010, 11:55:08 AM1/3/10
On Jan 1, 4:52 am, Joe <j...@nospam.com> wrote:

God Bless you, Joe.

Kirk Mitchell

Jan 7, 2010, 4:43:11 PM1/7/10
I'm sorry to announce that Joe died Jan. 6th.

Joe was also interested in Apple II computers, which is how I met
him. There's an obit on:

http://a2central.com/

I'm going to miss the man.

Neil X

Jan 7, 2010, 4:49:59 PM1/7/10

Yeah, we know he's gone. There is a thread entitled "RIP Joe" here
that has been memorializing him. But thanks for the link to the obit,
which I am going to paste below, as it will be gone tomorrow.

*********************

It is with heavy heart that I report this–one of the Apple II’s
notable personalities has passed away.

Joe Kohn of ShareWare Solutions II, died on Jan. 6th, 2010 following a
battle with metastatic cancer. He was 62 years old and lived in Marin
County, California.

Joe got to know many Apple II people when he was a Sysop on the
Source, and his interest in the Apple started to grow. He became
interested in writing about the II and was a regular contributor to
the Apple IIGS Buyer’s Guide and then wrote for inCider/A+, most
notably writing about shareware programs. He then started ShareWare
Solutions II from 1993 thru 1999, while running an online store for
Apple shareware and freeware titles. He was active on several of the
online services when they were still supporting the A2, including
Compuserve, AOL and Delphi.

An avid Apple II fan, Joe owned numerous Apple II computers including
the rare Mark Twain IIGS, and used his GS for all of his work,
including online work as his preferred machine.

In his later years he was was president of the Marin Chapter of the
Californian Native Plant Society, and became an expert on native
wildflowers and other California plants.

Burial will be in Marin County on Jan. 8th, and a memorial service
will be held on Saturday.

There is no contact information for the family at this time, we will
update this in the future should a memorial book be posted online.

JimK

Jan 7, 2010, 6:31:40 PM1/7/10
On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 13:49:59 -0800 (PST), Neil X <nei...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>On Jan 7, 4:43�pm, Kirk Mitchell <kirkmitch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm sorry to announce that Joe died Jan. 6th.
>>
>> Joe was also interested in Apple II computers, which is how I met
>> him. �There's an obit on:
>>
>> http://a2central.com/
>>
>> I'm going to miss the man.
>

>Yeah, we know he's gone. There is a thread entitled "RIP Joe" here
>that has been memorializing him. But thanks for the link to the obit,
>which I am going to paste below, as it will be gone tomorrow.
>
>*********************
>
>It is with heavy heart that I report this�one of the Apple II�s
>notable personalities has passed away.

<snip>

Yeah, I'd say "notable personality" would be an apt description of
Joe.

JimK

katrinka

Jan 7, 2010, 7:23:32 PM1/7/10

Hmm - Saturday?

Please post an update if the location of the memorial is disclosed.

katrinka

Message has been deleted

Walter Karmazyn

Jan 7, 2010, 9:11:10 PM1/7/10
katrinka wrote:
> On Jan 7, 1:49 pm, Neil X <nei...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 4:43 pm, Kirk Mitchell <kirkmitch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sorry to announce that Joe died Jan. 6th.
>>> Joe was also interested in Apple II computers, which is how I met
>>> him. There's an obit on:
>>> http://a2central.com/
>>> I'm going to miss the man.
>> Yeah, we know he's gone. There is a thread entitled "RIP Joe" here
>> that has been memorializing him. But thanks for the link to the obit,
>> which I am going to paste below, as it will be gone tomorrow.
>>
>> *********************
>>
>> It is with heavy heart that I report this�one of the Apple II�s

>> notable personalities has passed away.
>>
>> Joe Kohn of ShareWare Solutions II, died on Jan. 6th, 2010 following a
>> battle with metastatic cancer. He was 62 years old and lived in Marin
>> County, California.
>>
>> Joe got to know many Apple II people when he was a Sysop on the
>> Source, and his interest in the Apple started to grow. He became
>> interested in writing about the II and was a regular contributor to
>> the Apple IIGS Buyer�s Guide and then wrote for inCider/A+, most

>> notably writing about shareware programs. He then started ShareWare
>> Solutions II from 1993 thru 1999, while running an online store for
>> Apple shareware and freeware titles. He was active on several of the
>> online services when they were still supporting the A2, including
>> Compuserve, AOL and Delphi.
>>
>> An avid Apple II fan, Joe owned numerous Apple II computers including
>> the rare Mark Twain IIGS, and used his GS for all of his work,
>> including online work as his preferred machine.
>>
>> In his later years he was was president of the Marin Chapter of the
>> Californian Native Plant Society, and became an expert on native
>> wildflowers and other California plants.
>>
>> Burial will be in Marin County on Jan. 8th, and a memorial service
>> will be held on Saturday.
>>
>> There is no contact information for the family at this time, we will
>> update this in the future should a memorial book be posted online.
>

> Hmm - Saturday?
>
> Please post an update if the location of the memorial is disclosed.
>
> katrinka

Give me a call Katrinka.

iL_WeReo

Jan 7, 2010, 10:15:09 PM1/7/10
On Jan 7, 9:11 pm, Walter Karmazyn <walterkarma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> katrinka wrote:

> >> Yeah, we know he's gone.  There is a thread entitled "RIP Joe" here
> >> that has been memorializing him.  But thanks for the link to the obit,
> >> which I am going to paste below, as it will be gone tomorrow.
>
> >> *********************
>
> >> It is with heavy heart that I report this–one of the Apple II’s

> >> notable personalities has passed away.
>
> >> Joe Kohn of ShareWare Solutions II, died on Jan. 6th, 2010 following a
> >> battle with metastatic cancer. He was 62 years old and lived in Marin
> >> County, California.
>
> >> Joe got to know many Apple II people when he was a Sysop on the
> >> Source, and his interest in the Apple started to grow. He became
> >> interested in writing about the II and was a regular contributor to
> >> the Apple IIGS Buyer’s Guide and then wrote for inCider/A+, most

> >> notably writing about shareware programs. He then started ShareWare
> >> Solutions II from 1993 thru 1999, while running an online store for
> >> Apple shareware and freeware titles. He was active on several of the
> >> online services when they were still supporting the A2, including
> >> Compuserve, AOL and Delphi.
>
> >>  An avid Apple II fan, Joe owned numerous Apple II computers including
> >> the rare Mark Twain IIGS, and used his GS for all of his work,
> >> including online work as his preferred machine.
>
> >> In his later years he was was president of the Marin Chapter of the
> >> Californian Native Plant Society, and became an expert on native
> >> wildflowers and other California plants.
>
> >> Burial will be in Marin County on Jan. 8th, and a memorial service
> >> will be held on Saturday.
>
> >> There is no contact information for the family at this time, we will
> >> update this in the future should a memorial book be posted online.
>
> > Hmm - Saturday?
>
> > Please post an update if the location of the memorial is disclosed.
>
> > katrinka
>
> Give me a call Katrinka.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -

I don't know how I missed talking to Joe. It's strange I had never
even heard of him until his passing. I don't know perhaps I saw him
previously through the newsgroup. I just don't remember seeing him at
all.

If you'd like me to write a eulogy I'd be happy to. It would be from
someone who didn't know him. Sorry, Scott.

katrinka

Jan 8, 2010, 4:09:00 AM1/8/10
On Jan 7, 6:11 pm, Walter Karmazyn <walterkarma...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> katrinka wrote:

> >> Yeah, we know he's gone.  There is a thread entitled "RIP Joe" here
> >> that has been memorializing him.  But thanks for the link to the obit,
> >> which I am going to paste below, as it will be gone tomorrow.
>
> >> *********************
>
> >> It is with heavy heart that I report this–one of the Apple II’s

> >> notable personalities has passed away.
>
> >> Joe Kohn of ShareWare Solutions II, died on Jan. 6th, 2010 following a
> >> battle with metastatic cancer. He was 62 years old and lived in Marin
> >> County, California.
>
> >> Joe got to know many Apple II people when he was a Sysop on the
> >> Source, and his interest in the Apple started to grow. He became
> >> interested in writing about the II and was a regular contributor to
> >> the Apple IIGS Buyer’s Guide and then wrote for inCider/A+, most

> >> notably writing about shareware programs. He then started ShareWare
> >> Solutions II from 1993 thru 1999, while running an online store for
> >> Apple shareware and freeware titles. He was active on several of the
> >> online services when they were still supporting the A2, including
> >> Compuserve, AOL and Delphi.
>
> >>  An avid Apple II fan, Joe owned numerous Apple II computers including
> >> the rare Mark Twain IIGS, and used his GS for all of his work,
> >> including online work as his preferred machine.
>
> >> In his later years he was was president of the Marin Chapter of the
> >> Californian Native Plant Society, and became an expert on native
> >> wildflowers and other California plants.
>
> >> Burial will be in Marin County on Jan. 8th, and a memorial service
> >> will be held on Saturday.
>
> >> There is no contact information for the family at this time, we will
> >> update this in the future should a memorial book be posted online.
>
> > Hmm - Saturday?
>
> > Please post an update if the location of the memorial is disclosed.
>
> > katrinka
>
> Give me a call Katrinka.
>
> W- Hide quoted text -

I was at Furthur in Mill Valley tonight.

I'll call tomorrow and leave my phone number if I have to leave a
message.

katrinka

Garry the Island Boy

Jan 8, 2010, 10:04:58 PM1/8/10

Sorry I haven't told you lately that I love you. . .

G .

Joker

Jan 9, 2010, 9:50:05 PM1/9/10