[LH] Marina

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2013, 5:35:30 PM4/13/13
A great acoustic version of oh No! Is that her house?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kejP4B8TBoM

Angela

Douglas Alan

Apr 13, 2013, 6:13:10 PM4/13/13
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM, <angelac...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> A great acoustic version of oh No! Is that her house?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kejP4B8TBoM
>
> Angela

No, I don't think it's her house. That was made for the OtherVoices TV
series, which is an Irish music TV series. Many of their episodes are just
films of their music festival, though I think it's nearly impossible to
actually get into the festival, as it's in a tiny theater. So the tickets
are assigned by lottery, or something. Apparently not all of their stuff is
done in front of a live audience, though, as this video demonstrates.

I do love Marina's acoustic version of "Oh No!" It is so completely
different, and yet the same.

|>oug

Richard Messum

Apr 13, 2013, 6:20:22 PM4/13/13
Speaking of the artistry of Britney Spears, Richard Thompson does a
fabulous version of "Oops, i did it again" on his album "1000 Years Of
Popular Music."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neE-0ERH7gc

No, really.

Richard

On 13/04/2013 05:53, angelac...@hotmail.com wrote:
> I like this one aswell Marina singing Britney songs its really
> difficult for her I'm surprised:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_OEEe4Fk8

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 13, 2013, 6:37:59 PM4/13/13
I like this one aswell Marina singing Britney songs its really difficult
for her I'm surprised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_OEEe4Fk8

Douglas Alan

Apr 13, 2013, 10:57:26 PM4/13/13
On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Richard Messum <spri...@cyg.net> wrote:

> Speaking of the artistry of Britney Spears, Richard Thompson does a
> fabulous version of "Oops, i did it again" on his album "1000 Years Of
> Popular Music."

Hah, that's choice! Well, actually, that's a pretty good song too. It was
written by this pair of Swedes who have written just about every mainstream
pop song you ever heard. What is it with Swedes and their Pop Muzik?

|>oug

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 14, 2013, 6:53:34 AM4/14/13
Thanks Richard I loved his dance move at the end. I would love to see more
artists like Richard Thompson do more dance moves like that its great. I do
like him aswell his guitar and style of playing.

Angela

On Saturday, 13 April 2013 23:09:19 UTC+1, Richard Messum wrote:

> Speaking of the artistry of Britney Spears, Richard Thompson does a
> fabulous version of "Oops, i did it again" on his album "1000 Years Of
> Popular Music."
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neE-0ERH7gc
>
> No, really.
>
> Richard
>

> On 13/04/2013 05:53, angelac...@hotmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>
> I like this one aswell Marina singing Britney songs its really difficult
> for her I'm surprised:
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj_OEEe4Fk8
>
> Angela
> --

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 14, 2013, 8:30:43 AM4/14/13
It sounds great that fesitval in a tiny theatre I would love it, I've been
to Dublin and the music scene was wonderful but so chic and unique aswell I
loved it. It's nice to see Marina at a piano not keyboard. She does tend to
use the keys directly infront of her to keep sat still upright , than
flouishing up and down the scales its a very simple way of composing and
generates particular notes from her vocal due to that. It's good I think
it has trained her to look for other notes in her voice rather than use the
piano to get there. I do like the song from an EP about 'her grandfather
was miner' and her auntie worked the ouji board, I wonder if Marina has
that gift aswell.

Angela

On Saturday, 13 April 2013 22:59:50 UTC+1, Douglas Alan wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 5:35 PM, <angelac...@hotmail.com <javascript:>>

Douglas Alan

Apr 15, 2013, 5:58:32 PM4/15/13
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 5:25 PM, <angelac...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcNUBfuEbxk

Wow, that's weird seeing Marina perform in a noisy bar with people talking.
I've only ever seen her perform where the audience is completely nuts and
treats her like the second coming of The Beatles. Fortunately, you can also
hear plenty of die-hard fans there too singing along and shouting "Marina,
I love you!"

|>oug

P.S. I'm pretty sure that *is* auto-tune on Marina's voice in "Daddy Was a
Sailor". It's unclear whether or it's for effect or because she couldn't
hit the notes, but Marina's voice is much better now than it was way back
then. She never uses auto-tune any more. That song is from her own
self-released EP that she sold herself on MySpace. Only 70 copies of it, or
so were ever made. The last time I saw one of these for sale on Ebay, it
was going for about $1500, and that was a couple of years ago. I don't
think anyone sells them anymore; they're just holding onto them.

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 15, 2013, 6:00:52 PM4/15/13
I like that alot of pop musik which now uses auto-tune, or the myth of
auto-tune ie what is misheard as autotune alot in music. Marina in her song
Daddy was a Sailor for instance could be auto-tune. But that can sometime
disintegrate the rest of the song to make it sound even worse so I'd say
its not a good tool to use and often not for that reason. Often its
mistaken for other effects put on tracks or that they have been run through
or the bandwidth manipulated by. Like a vocoder, reverb unit, just messing
with the frequency band there are hundreds of such units to choose from,
that sound similar but have a different principle in how they manipulate a
soundwave by way of decompressing or stretching or adding space by way of
acoustics or a room. I think here Marina used a vocoder like that first
used for SiGSaly and during WWII for decoding Eisenhower and Churchill by
encoding then decoding only what could be heard later and the speech by
decoding at a certain frequency. This could be humanly done if you knew the
frequencies and coding however. Or project X at the Pentagon before it was
declassified and picked up by recording artists as the robot sound. If on
auto tune a computer takes the bandwidth analyses it and corrects the
frequency sonically how a computer thinks a human sounds this is a totally
different sound altogether, it sounds like a computer generated vocal. And
that could be double tracked over to make it sound more human or as a guide
track. It is just the most overused and most misunderstood word in the
music press today I think. But that's nothing new music is misunderstood
aswell I think of what it is capable of and what we only allow it to be
used for:
from a bar in contemplation:

On Sunday, 14 April 2013 03:14:47 UTC+1, Douglas Alan wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Richard Messum <spri...@cyg.net<javascript:>

angelac...@hotmail.com

Apr 15, 2013, 6:49:29 PM4/15/13
that's good I hope they hold onto them too. So for it to be auto tune she
would have had to sung out of tune for it to auto tune it in tune. But its
still out of tune some of it. So she did sing it in tune. It sounds more
like Experiment IV to me the extended version but the notes stretched out
spun round at replaced at a certain frequency 7 and 4. More like if
someone gave you the notes and sounds of Expt IV and said fit it into DWAS
it could be possible.