MO WAX.

Tyler Askew

Feb 28, 1995, 5:30:02 PM2/28/95
yea, the tune is 32 min, if 4 parts...if ya wanna spin it, just use
selected parts to mix with....it'll be a hit...haven't heard the
palmskin yet, but they are one of my fav's...for all you mo wax fans...i
am gonna try and get myself a homepage, and dedicate it tottaly to mo
wax, so ill keep you informed...peace

tyler

CAUTHERLEY J M M <bk...@city.ac.uk> writes:
>>From: CAUTHERLEY J M M <bk...@city.ac.uk>
>>Subject: MO WAX.
>>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:50:36 +0000
>

>>Yeah Dj shadow does have a new release out, next week I think but not
>>entirely sure. It's called "What does your soul look like" or
something
>>very similar to that and is a damn fine tune...a must.
>
>>Have u heard the new palm skins release, "the Beast"..mad.
>
>>Anyways if ya need more info on Mo Wax then post it and I'll see if I
can
>>help.
>
>>C-ya.
>
>Isn't this toon supposed to me 32 minutes long? If so, how are they
planning
>to release it. It's alright for the Orb to release Blue Room at 39'59"
>because no one in their right mind would want to dj with it, but
hopefully the
>DJ Shadow will be a different matter. Lets just hope they don't try to
>squeeze it all on one side of the vinyl, so it ends up sounding like
one of
>those awful unplayable US hip hop albums.
>
>Not really sure why I care though....

CAUTHERLEY J M M

Feb 28, 1995, 12:50:36 PM2/28/95

T.G. Whitwell

Feb 28, 1995, 2:10:34 PM2/28/95
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950228174736.1394B-100000@loudwater> CAUTHERLEY J M M <bk...@city.ac.uk> writes:
>From: CAUTHERLEY J M M <bk...@city.ac.uk>
>Subject: MO WAX.
>Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 17:50:36 +0000

>C-ya.

Isn't this toon supposed to me 32 minutes long? If so, how are they planning

Nick Yoder

Mar 2, 1995, 2:26:01 PM3/2/95

J M M <bk...@city.ac.uk> wrote:

> Anyways if ya need more info on Mo Wax then post it and I'll see if I can
> help.
>
> C-ya.

well, since you offer... i've been trying to check out their stuff for a
while, esp. after hearing DJ Krush's amazing contribution to "Rebirth of
Cool vol.2" and i finally found a place in providence that would order
"Headz" for me. but i talked to the guy today, and to my great annoyance
he didn't get it. he does have "Strictly Turntablized" though. i dunno
whether i should wait for "Headz" or just get DJ Krush. prob'ly i'll wait
for "Headz", whaddya think? in the meantime, could you send me a tracklist
for "Headz"? i would *really* appreciate it.
thanx
ny

Tyler Askew

Mar 4, 1995, 1:00:47 PM3/4/95
Headz and Krush are pretty similar....Krush is more true hip hop
tho....headz is real spacey....headz includes artists such as dj shadow,
palmskin productions, rpm, howie b, unkle, skull, nitemarz on wax, etc..

get em both...

tyler

CAUTHERLEY J M M

Mar 7, 1995, 8:40:00 AM3/7/95

Right.......

In my opinion, buy the DJ Krush LP, it is good. Although not every track
on the album is great, it is worth every penny.

Now with regards to the headz track listing..problem.
I don't actually have the records with me in England as I lent them to a
friend back home which happens to be Hong Kong....However if you like the
stuff that comes out of Mox Wax then buy it.

The whole Lp is just instrumentals, and has tracks by DJ Krush, DJ
Shadow, Palm Skins Productions, R.P.M, I think also la funk mob..but i
can't remember all of them.

Sorry i haven't been very helpful here..but i just can't remember.
Maybe you should try the Acid Jazz www site, i remember when i was
looking through some of the stuff, i came across a listing of mo wax
releases, maybe they'll have the track listings as well.

C-ya..hopefully i can be of more help next time :)

T.G. Whitwell

Mar 7, 1995, 11:40:20 AM3/7/95
In article <3ja9sf$4...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> pha...@ix.netcom.com (Tyler Askew) writes:
>From: pha...@ix.netcom.com (Tyler Askew)
>Subject: Re: MO WAX.
>Date: 4 Mar 1995 18:00:47 GMT

>Headz and Krush are pretty similar....Krush is more true hip hop
>tho....headz is real spacey....headz includes artists such as dj shadow,
>palmskin productions, rpm, howie b, unkle, skull, nitemarz on wax, etc..

>get em both...

Why is it that once you mix groovy Mo Wax style music with normal human
beings, their ability to communicate coherently goes down the pan? This is
far more than the traditional e-mail liberation of spelling.

You want evidence? Check (sorry, try having a look at) James Lavelle's page
in Straight No Chaser - he can't write a sentence without saying "check it",
"for real" or "'nuff". It's as if the poor man has been miraculously turned
into a semi-literate American 7 year old. But, before you flame me, it's not
just the americanisms. The man released an album called "Headz" for gods sake.

And it's not just Mr Lavelle!!! Pay a visit to

http://iuma.southern.com/PIPE/

and see how the virus has infected Messrs Black & More of Coldcut.

Join the campaign for literacy within HipHop now.

Tom

SHANNON BRIGGS

Mar 8, 1995, 8:19:04 PM3/8/95
: Headz and Krush are pretty similar....Krush is more true hip hop
: tho....headz is real spacey....headz includes artists such as dj shadow,
: palmskin productions, rpm, howie b, unkle, skull, nitemarz on wax, etc..

hmm.. i prefer to call krush's work 'instrumental hip hop'.. because
thats what it is.. i was talking to krush the other day and he gave me a
bit of a scoop on his next album which will feature dj shadow and dj
premier and perhaps a few u.s. mc's...

for those agonising over which album to buy (headz or krush).. take it
from me.. buy them both as the headz comp is a must..

some of my mo wax fav's would have to be anything by shadow (did anyone
pick up his first 12' on sole sides? or his 2 12' on hollywood basic?)
the unkle ep is mad.. palmskins.. the list goes on..

good to see some discussion on mo wax finally starting to appear on the net.

shannon 'frenzie' briggs

Tyler Askew

Mar 7, 1995, 10:57:17 PM3/7/95
well, speaking for myself, i believe that people, when typing, put their
words into a context that they would not use in ordinary
conversations...slang, and expressions are always used when you are just
talking , but now people like Lavelle and others are incorporating this
into their colums, or as you pointed out, letter...theirs nothing
wrong..its actually more normal that using perfect grammar....no one
(when talking) says, "this album is fantastic, combining many different
styler of music into one", that unatural...they might say " yo, that
shit was dope..."....whats the big beef?

MarcuS

Mar 12, 1995, 1:23:43 AM3/12/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com
Can someone tell me the Mo'Wax releases between mw024 and
mw028. (DJs Krush & Shadow and the U.N.K.L.E.) 12"s I moved to
houston from london last nov. and missed out.
only recently did i find a record shop where i can order uk
imports (although i resent having to pay astronomical prices
for them!) One consolation was that i got the pic. disc of the
U.N.K.L.E. 12"! looj!
any help appreciated.
BTW have you checked the global communications maiden voyage 12"
if not- do it. you'll not regret it!
anyone know of any other must have on the dubbed hip-hop tip?
it's hard when all you have is a four line description on a badly
received fax to go by when ordering toons. i much prefer walking
into a record shop with the wildest toons that you have to buy
pounding from the speakers!
anyone know what's going on in london clubwize as far as this
kind of groove goes?

laters,

MarcuS

MarcuS

Mar 12, 1995, 1:24:39 AM3/12/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com

Greg Davies

Mar 14, 1995, 3:35:55 AM3/14/95
In article <3jll28$k...@enterprise.powerup.com.au> sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS) writes:
>From: sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS)
>Subject: Re: MO WAX.
>Date: 9 Mar 1995 01:19:04 GMT

>: Headz and Krush are pretty similar....Krush is more true hip hop
>: tho....headz is real spacey....headz includes artists such as dj shadow,
>: palmskin productions, rpm, howie b, unkle, skull, nitemarz on wax, etc..

>hmm.. i prefer to call krush's work 'instrumental hip hop'.. because
>thats what it is.. i was talking to krush the other day and he gave me a

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i was under the impression he couldn't speak english.

>shannon 'frenzie' briggs

SHANNON BRIGGS

Mar 15, 1995, 12:31:57 AM3/15/95
: >hmm.. i prefer to call krush's work 'instrumental hip hop'.. because
: >thats what it is.. i was talking to krush the other day and he gave me a
: ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

: i was under the impression he couldn't speak english.

sorry, i neglected to mention that i conducted an interview with him when
he was out here for 'vibes in a summers day'.. he speaks a little english
but the main bulk of the interview was done through a translator.. which
is a pity as im sure half the interview was lost through the translator
but it was indeed an honor to have this conversation with someone who i
admire so much..

while were on the topic of mo wax.. i just picked up palm skins 2 new 12'
the beast and remix 12'.. just gotta say that they are both the bomb..

frenzie

Ed Freed

Mar 15, 1995, 8:32:29 PM3/15/95
Yush,
James Lavelle has been hosting a Mo Wax nite up at the
blue note (used to be the Bass Clef) in Hoxton, every other saturday...
It's pretty good, cept my main complaint is that people tend to stand
around noddin' head - and trying to clock what the DJ is
playing rather than dancing and getting involved to the tunes........

Laters
Ed..

MarcuS

Mar 16, 1995, 11:08:17 PM3/16/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com

--

<MarcuS
/ If you don't know the roots

-----
> Subject: Re: MO WAX.
> Date: 15 Mar 1995 05:31:57 GMT
> From: sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS)
> Newsgroups: rec.music.funky

> while were on the topic of mo wax.. i just picked up palm skins
2 new 12'
> the beast and remix 12'.. just gotta say that they are both the
bomb..

Yeah- I jus got these. blinding specially the second. I never
thought I'd enjoy listening to jungle but these mixes sound so
fres... then on the same one you get the ever consistent global
communications mix. sound! (if you like that youv'e got to get
'maiden voyage' by 'em.)
my omly grumble.. why two seperate 12s? i have been well
impressed with the mo boys givin' value for money (it leaves more
money spare for those jap releases) but they slipped this time...

Laters

MarcuS 'The drum and bass should get married-
Know what I mean'
(-Fuel for the fire: Larry Youngs fuel)

MarcuS

Mar 16, 1995, 11:24:12 PM3/16/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com

-----
> Subject: Re: MO WAX.
> Date: 15 Mar 1995 05:31:57 GMT
> From: sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS)
> Newsgroups: rec.music.funky

> while were on the topic of mo wax.. i just picked up palm skins
2 new 12'
> the beast and remix 12'.. just gotta say that they are both the
bomb..

> frenzie
yeah- I jus got these and they rule i'm specially impressed with
the second. i never thought i'd enjoy listenin to jungle but
these... the production is so freh and the trax well thought out-
safe, then there's the global communication track excellent as
ever. (if you like that and you haven't already, check out maiden
voyage by global communication from last year- you can't be
dissapointed!)
Just one slight whinge,- why two 12s? ($7.50 each in the u.s.)
the mo boys have been pretty good about their pricing (I got
'headz' for a tenner in the u.k.- leaves a bit more for those
jap imports!) but this time they seem to have slipped- hope james
isn't gettin greedy! I can't stop buying his stuff now!

Laters

MarcuS 'The drum & bass should get married fellas-
know what I mean'
(-Fuel for the fire: Larry Youngs' Fuel)
http:/www.holo.com/
mailto:mar...@holo.com

MarcuS

Mar 16, 1995, 11:23:36 PM3/16/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com

-----
> Subject: Re: MO WAX.
> Date: 15 Mar 1995 05:31:57 GMT
> From: sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS)
> Newsgroups: rec.music.funky

> while were on the topic of mo wax.. i just picked up palm skins
2 new 12'
> the beast and remix 12'.. just gotta say that they are both the
bomb..

> frenzie

MarcuS

Mar 16, 1995, 11:22:53 PM3/16/95
to sbr...@enterprise.com

-----
> Subject: Re: MO WAX.
> Date: 15 Mar 1995 05:31:57 GMT
> From: sbr...@enterprise.com (SHANNON BRIGGS)
> Newsgroups: rec.music.funky

> while were on the topic of mo wax.. i just picked up palm skins
2 new 12'
> the beast and remix 12'.. just gotta say that they are both the
bomb..

> frenzie

T.G. Whitwell

Mar 17, 1995, 10:12:00 AM3/17/95
In article <3jj9ut$7...@ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> pha...@ix.netcom.com (Tyler Askew) writes:
>From: pha...@ix.netcom.com (Tyler Askew)
>Subject: Re: MO WAX.
>Date: 8 Mar 1995 03:57:17 GMT

>well, speaking for myself, i believe that people, when typing, put their
>words into a context that they would not use in ordinary
>conversations...slang, and expressions are always used when you are just
>talking , but now people like Lavelle and others are incorporating this
>into their colums, or as you pointed out, letter...theirs nothing
>wrong..its actually more normal that using perfect grammar....no one
>(when talking) says, "this album is fantastic, combining many different
>styler of music into one", that unatural...they might say " yo, that
>shit was dope..."....whats the big beef?

Maybe it is just me then. Perhaps it's the Americanism thet I really find
wierd. James Lavelle is a couple of years younger than me and comes from
Oxford where, I can assure you, people do not say "That shit was dope" or
"Clock the DJ" unless they are trying to impersonate an American from the TV,
a film or a record. Music is important and significant but sheep-like
impersonation, by grown men, seems a bit sad.

Trip Hop is a British-centred music, despite the fact that many of it's stars
are Japanese or American, because it does what Brit music has always done best
- innovating by drawing together disparate styles of music - from the Beatles
to Massive Attack. So why pretend to be narrow-minded US rappers??

I don't really care, honest.

Tom