Bootsy Collins presents Shag?

Alex Oliver

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

In December, there's a show booked at the House of Blues in New
Orleans for George Porter, Jr. (Meters bassist) and the Runnin'
Pardners. Listed as support for this show is "Bootsy Collins presents
Shag." Does anyone know anything about this band? Is Bootsy in the
band Shag, or is it some band he's involved with managing but doesn't
play in? I sure would be cool to see two of the best funk bassist in
the same night, but I can't imagine that the band is fronted by Bootsy
if they're scheduled to open for George and the Runnin' Pardners.

Catch y'all on the rebound,
--Alex
har...@praline.no.neosoft.com
http://www.neosoft.com/~harpua

Mike Theiss

Nov 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/25/96

Alex Oliver <har...@praline.no.neosoft.com> wrote in article
<57aj1k$3...@uuneo.neosoft.com>...

> In December, there's a show booked at the House of Blues in New
> Orleans for George Porter, Jr. (Meters bassist) and the Runnin'
> Pardners. Listed as support for this show is "Bootsy Collins presents
> Shag." Does anyone know anything about this band?

No, Bootsy is not a member of Shag. Don't expect to see him at the
concert.

Just out of curiousity -- for those of you on the group that or fans of the
band (or people that are related to band members or whatever...) what do
you think about Shag's pimping of Bootsy's name?

This is not the first time I've read here about concerts being billed as
"Bootsy Collins presents Shag". To me that seems extremely misleading.
Furthermore, as a musician I would be embarassed if my band felt the need
to rely on the name of someone like Bootsy in order to get people to go to
there shows.

Having him work on their album is one thing, and I think using his name in
their album title ("Bootsy Collins Presents Shag Live") is also a bit
tacky. But putting it in the concert billings is definitely crossing the
line as far as I'm concerned, even if Bootsy approves of the use.
Especially cause after having heard their debut (live) album I really
didn't think Shag was all that.

Jodin Aren Trocheck

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

In article <01bbda6b$18412920$577ad9ce@DuaneChem>, "Mike Theiss"

<mth...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Just out of curiousity -- for those of you on the group that or fans of the
> band (or people that are related to band members or whatever...) what do
> you think about Shag's pimping of Bootsy's name?

i've definetely been an outspoken supporter of SHAG and haven't had a
problem with this billing, although whenever i see them they don't use
this promotion. it seems to be only when they venture out of the midwest
that the "Bootsy Collins Presents:" label pops up.

> This is not the first time I've read here about concerts being billed as
> "Bootsy Collins presents Shag". To me that seems extremely misleading.
> Furthermore, as a musician I would be embarassed if my band felt the need
> to rely on the name of someone like Bootsy in order to get people to go to
> there shows.
>
> Having him work on their album is one thing, and I think using his name in
> their album title ("Bootsy Collins Presents Shag Live") is also a bit
> tacky. But putting it in the concert billings is definitely crossing the
> line as far as I'm concerned, even if Bootsy approves of the use.
> Especially cause after having heard their debut (live) album I really
> didn't think Shag was all that.

it doesn't really bother me because i don't see it as pimping the name.
bootsy produced the first live album, and both it and the new studio
release is on Bootzilla Records. This could also be seen as pimping the
name, as the Bootzilla label is prominently displayed on most SHAGstuff.

as far as i'm concerned, any band - especially a live-instrument funk band
- needs all the promotional help they can get when out on the road. their
simply isn't a radio format that will touch this stuff, and they don't
have the advantage of being around when urban radio *did* play funk so the
people would come out to hear their favorite old jams. SHAG also relies
moreso than most bands on the crowd energy, as many of their songs are
sing-along related. if they come, SHAG will funk their ass. the name just
isn't enough (yet) to get people in the club outside of their midwest
circuit.

btw, mike - don't give up on em yet - almost everytime i've seen them
they've added a bit and changed a bit. they've been doing this for 3+
years, but compared to the bands they are being mentioned with they're
still babies. and if bootsy and mudbone cooper continue
recording/appearing with them, they're gonna get close to having as many
originals as the so-called "reconnection"!!

*=================================================================*
*-- jodin aren jo...@apk.net http://apk.net/~jodin --*
*-- standing on the verge of getting it on --*
*=================================================================*

Buddy Donnelly

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96
to Alex Oliver, shag...@shadow.net

Alex Oliver wrote:

> In December, there's a show booked at the House of Blues in New
> Orleans for George Porter, Jr. (Meters bassist) and the Runnin'
> Pardners. Listed as support for this show is "Bootsy Collins
presents
> Shag." Does anyone know anything about this band? Is Bootsy in
the
> band Shag, or is it some band he's involved with managing but
doesn't
> play in? I sure would be cool to see two of the best funk bassist
in
> the same night, but I can't imagine that the band is fronted by
Bootsy
> if they're scheduled to open for George and the Runnin' Pardners.
>
> Catch y'all on the rebound,
> --Alex
> har...@praline.no.neosoft.com
> http://www.neosoft.com/~harpua

Hey, Alex,
Thanks for the interest, and sorry to catch this so late.

SHAG, or "Bootsy Collins Presents SHAG Live!" as many of the
promoters and venues are billing the show SHAG's first time into a market, is
a young 8-piece showband now in its third year. They are out of
Cincinnati, and since 1995 have been associated with Bootsy Collins and
Bootzilla Records in several different business areas. Bootsy Collins does
*not* appear onstage at any shows with this billing or anything like
it.
(By the way, if anyone sees the actual wording of this billing
changed in local advertising, we hope they will immediately contact SHAG's
business office at 513/421-5994 so that it can be changed.)

Bootsy himself recorded, produced, and mixed SHAG's first CD release,
"Bootsy Collins Presents SHAG Live!" as the first project for the
Bootzilla/Rehab Mobile Studio. SHAG's second CD, and their first studio
record, has just been released. It's "SHAG:Silver City" and includes an
extended remix by Bootsy of one of SHAG's originals (all SHAGSongs
since Day 1 have been originals), plus substantial vocal
arrangement/tracking by Gary "MuddBone" Cooper, Bootsy's original drummer and a PFunk
Allstars mainstay for almost three decades. SHAG has been lucky
enough (and they know it) to have been able to work closely with Bootsy
during these last 2 years, and he has been generous enough to have taught
them *a lot* about The Funk, but of course they're working like
madmen to get themselves going as an independent entity. They are currently
in the middle of an extended Western tour that will include the House
of Blues date you've seen. In fact they will be opening just before
that for another funk master, Maceo Parker, at Antone's in Austin,
followed by a second nite with SHAG as the headliner.
For SHAGInfo, click on the SHAGSite on Tha Web,
http://www.shag.com
Buddy Donnelly
sh...@shag.com

J. Rome

Dec 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/7/96

In article <32A2D2...@shadow.net>, Buddy Donnelly
<shag...@shadow.net> wrote:

> Alex Oliver wrote:
> >
> > In December, there's a show booked at the House of Blues in New
> > Orleans for George Porter, Jr. (Meters bassist) and the Runnin'
> > Pardners. Listed as support for this show is "Bootsy Collins
> presents
> > Shag." Does anyone know anything about this band? Is Bootsy in
> the
> > band Shag, or is it some band he's involved with managing but
> doesn't
> > play in? I sure would be cool to see two of the best funk bassist
> in
> > the same night, but I can't imagine that the band is fronted by
> Bootsy
> > if they're scheduled to open for George and the Runnin' Pardners.
> >
> > Catch y'all on the rebound,
> > --Alex
> > har...@praline.no.neosoft.com
> > http://www.neosoft.com/~harpua

Alex -

SHAG is da bomb! If you can, go check them out. Bootsy may not appear on
stage, but he's there in spirit. These youngsters kick it hard core -
they don't mess around.

I went to school in tiny Athens, Ohio - about 2-3 hours from SHAG's
hometown of Cinci. They played all the time at O.U. They are practically
single-handedly responsible for introducing me (and many other OU
students) to the Funk.

SHAG kicks the best ol' school funk show this side of PFunk, and that
ain't no lie. Actually, to call it ol' school might be a misnomer.
They've got all the basics - steady rhythm section, bad-ass horns,
"Freebass" kickin' the mutron a la the booted one himself, Chris D.
bustin' nasty chops out his voice-boxing guitar, the Colonel gettin' the
crowd all rowdy with sing alongs, and lead singer Duran groovin' his
dread-lock-sportin' tail off. BUT, they bring their own new groove, and
it's cool.

At any of SHAG's midwestern gigs, you'd be lucky to get a 1'x1' sqaure to
groove on. They pack joints tighter than ... well ... They've been
bringing in huge crowds all over the place, from what I hear, and their
tour shows no signs of slowing down.

If you dig the funk at all, and especially if you dig Bootsy, you will not
be disappointed by SHAG.

--
May the Funk be with you.

-Jerome
jr...@wanda.phl.pond.com

Phunklord Siege

Aug 19, 2018, 4:44:48 PM8/19/18
I bought this CD on a whim, curious as to what Bootsy had to do with it. (I'm a fan of any-and-everything P-Funk.) And although Bootsy wasn't involved as a musician, I was THOROUGHLY impressed at both the band and the recording quality. I've recently found a wiki article called "List of P-Funk projects", hoping to find some more funky stuff, and this is definitely up there as one of the best! If you're a fan of Bootsy, P-Funk, old-school RHCP, Mother's Finest, or anything like that, you will love SHAG.

PS: sorry, I know this doesn't really relate to the original topic too much, just thought I should throw this out there.