What is a Budokan Headset/ Massive Attack

Richard Karty

Nov 23, 1992, 6:49:30 PM11/23/92
What is a Sony Budokan headset?

Is it a particular model of headphones? The term is mentioned in
several Massive Attack songs.

I thought Budokan was the name of a big arena in Japan where bands in
the 1970's recorded live concerts.

...anyone have a Massive Attack discography, or info about who's who
in the group? (e.g., one of them had a lot to do with the first Soul
II Soul album, didn't he?)

Seems to me they *must* have remixed Daydreaming and/or Unfinished
Sympathy, and not just Safe from Harm.

thanks

Richard

My AK rig goes boom boom, my AK rig goes boom...

ka...@cs.washington.edu

.
.
.
.

Ronald Johnson

Nov 23, 1992, 10:22:39 PM11/23/92
Hey...

The way I understand it, Jazzie B. and Nelley(sp?) Hooper of Soul II Soul
and the guys from Massive Attack were part of a group, until they separated
and did their own things, thats why the sound is so similar...I dont have
the tape in front of me right now(I can chk later if U want) but there are
like 3 guys in the group:1 white and 2 blacks, and the female vocalist's
name is Shara Nelson...I believe this is their first album, so there wouldnt
be much of a discography...

RJ

Ronald Johnson

Nov 23, 1992, 10:26:53 PM11/23/92
Oh yeah...I guess this Budokan Headset that you speak of is a type of
headphones??????

U.F.Orb

Nov 24, 1992, 12:16:08 AM11/24/92
rojo...@csws4.ic.sunysb.edu (Ronald Johnson) writes:

>Oh yeah...I guess this Budokan Headset that you speak of is a type of
>headphones??????

Yeah, Sony put out this model a few years ago. Supposedly the combination
of the custom headphones and the custom walkman were able to replicate
the sound of hearing the band in the Budokan arena.

Yeah, right.....
--
Jason Bilsky fuz...@world.std.com
"Got enough guilt to start my own religion."

t...@crash.canon.co.uk

Nov 24, 1992, 4:51:51 AM11/24/92
ka...@cs.washington.edu (Richard Karty) asks:
:

|...anyone have a Massive Attack discography, or info about who's who
|in the group? (e.g., one of them had a lot to do with the first Soul
|II Soul album, didn't he?)

Massive Attack evolved out of the Wild Bunch. Nelle Hooper, of Soul II
Soul fame, was also in the Wild Bunch. Or something like that.

Tx. [not from Bristol]
--
Tim F O'Donoghue <t...@crash.canon.co.uk> <uunet!canon!tim>

Andrew Farmer

Nov 24, 1992, 7:24:34 AM11/24/92

In rec.music.funky, ka...@cs.washington.edu (Richard Karty) writes:

> ...anyone have a Massive Attack discography, or info about who's who
> in the group? (e.g., one of them had a lot to do with the first Soul
> II Soul album, didn't he?)

In the beginning was the Wild Bunch, a Bristol-based crew of DJ's,
producers, rappers...They released a couple of 12" (including a version
of "The Look Of Love", which was the blueprint for that whole stripped
down boomy Bristol/Soul II Soul sound), plus some remixes (I have a
Wild Bunch remix of some Eric B single.
In 1988, they released "Any Love", a Smith and Mighty-produced 12",
featuring vocals from Bristol singer Carlton. This was followed a couple
of years later by "Daydreaming" (both the standard 12" and the remix
12"). "Unfinished Sympathy" was also available as remixes, if I remember
correctly.
Aside from the "Blue Lines" LP, there were two "Safe From Harm"
remixes, and early this year, there was a remix EP, comtaining new
versions of "Any Love", "Hymn of the Big Wheel", "Be Thankful", and
one new song.
Apart from all that, Massive Attack have remixed tons of stuff for
Neneh Cherry 12", and other artists (including Boy George's Jesus Loves
you, Lisa Stasfield etc etc). There was also their remix of Sean
Oliver's "Furious Fire" on the Bristol compilation "The Hard Sell".

Email me if you want more information on Massive Attack or other
Bristol artists such as Carlton, Smith and Mighty, etc.

arf

Ronald Johnson

Nov 24, 1992, 2:58:59 PM11/24/92
Just a little bit mo' info on Massive Attack:

I was reading the liner notes of their "Blue Lines" CD...The names of the
people who performed/did work on the album are...3d-del naja,Mushroom Vowles,
Willy Wee,Horace Andy, Tricky Kid, and Daddy g Marshall, and as I said before,
Shara Nelson is the female vocalist. I dont think she is an official member of
the group, but then again, I get the impression that this group intends to be
on the Soul II Soul tip as far as not having a 'stable' lineup of performers...
I also noticed that for one of the songs,(Hymnn of the big wheel), they have
Neneh Cherry down under 'additional arrangement'.

RJ

Mark Allerton

Nov 25, 1992, 8:12:09 AM11/25/92
> The way I understand it, Jazzie B. and Nelley(sp?) Hooper of Soul II Soul
>and the guys from Massive Attack were part of a group

Sort of... Jazzie B was never a member of the Wild Bunch. Nellee Hooper
Jazzie B first met up when Massive Attack/The Wild Bunch/Whatever it
was they were called at the time hired the (London based) Soul II Soul
sound-system for a gig in Bristol. Soul II Soul turned up expecting to
actually do the DJ-ing, but MA were just expecting to hire the hardware
and do it themselves. The result of this little misunderstanding was
Hooper teaming up with Jazzie B, and the rest is history.

(This factoid came from an interview with Jazzie B...)

Mark Allerton - ma...@bilpin.co.uk
UK Mac DTS, but I speak for myself.

Gregory B. Beuthin

Nov 25, 1992, 6:55:16 PM11/25/92
I must have missed the orignal post- I know MA, but where is the Budokan
ref from ? If this has been talked to death already, just send me mail :-)
BTW- anyone kno if MA is coming out with a new album? What other Brit
stuff is out there on the MA/ Soul II Soul tip? The one song I heard from
the MC Stereos had the same kind of Brit rap sound (which I like) R they N
E good?

--
Greg "Boyteen" Beuthin | Respect.... ___ Keep
(gre...@uhunix.uhcc.hawaii.edu) | / | \ the

Simon D. Jackman

Nov 28, 1992, 2:02:16 AM11/28/92
In article <8566...@otter.hpl.hp.com> a...@otter.hpl.hp.com (Andrew Farmer) writes:

>In rec.music.funky, ka...@cs.washington.edu (Richard Karty) writes:
>
> In 1988, they released "Any Love", a Smith and Mighty-produced 12",
> featuring vocals from Bristol singer Carlton. This was followed a couple
> of years later by "Daydreaming" (both the standard 12" and the remix
> 12"). "Unfinished Sympathy" was also available as remixes, if I remember
> correctly.

Nelle Hooper and Paul Oakenfeld (sp?) did re-mixes of Unfinished
Sympathy. The former is my favorite of the two, though both are pretty
killer - Oakenfeld's is a little more clubby, Nelle Hooper's is a little
smoother, some cool vocal production too.

In Australia last month I found the EP of single re-mixes and the Safe
From Harm remixes on CD sold as a package for something like AUD$8.
That was at Rocking Horse Records in Brisbane, where there is a small
but dedicated following of this type of music.funky...

I imagine MA remixes are import-only in the US. Circa through Virgin I
think, are the labels in the UK.

cheers - simon - princeton is a lot closer to new york than
brisbane...!?!

jim hori

Dec 2, 1992, 11:14:41 AM12/2/92
In article <1992Nov25.2...@news.Hawaii.Edu> gre...@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Gregory B. Beuthin) writes:
>The one song I heard from
>the MC Stereos had the same kind of Brit rap sound (which I like) R they N
>E good?

I assume you are referring to the Stereo MCs (not the MC Stereos).
The Stereo MCs started out rapping, but their last two singles are
not really rap. Are they good? Only intermittently. The best thing
they've done is a stormer called "Lost In Music": the Ultimatum re-
mix cranks and rocks the house. Of the two singles off their latest
album, the first, "Connected", based on a Jimmy "Bo" Horne groove
is good, the followup is so good.

ji...@west.sun.com

Vinyl Exchange

Jul 5, 2021, 11:15:16 AM7/5/21