Wanted: Lyrics for Nancy Rose by Len Chandler

Jim Colletti

Oct 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/21/99
I believe a song titled "Nancy Rose" appeared on Len Chandler's album
"To Be a Man" in the early 60's. It's a beautiful song written to his
lady friend. I used to know all the lyrics, but I've forgotten a couple
of verses now. If anyone could help me with the lyrics, I'd appreciate
it.

Phil Feldman

Oct 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/23/99
Jim,

Just pulled out the old vinyl and gave it a spin. Here are the lyrics to
"Nancy Rose" by Len Chandler:

I saw you and I had to stand and stare
I just had to stand and stare
My eyes had turned to fingers, and were tangled in your hair
My eyes were fingers in your hair

Your voice could call the mourning dove
Your voice could call the mourning dove
When talking in a whisper in the afterglow of love
Your voice, in the afterglow of love

I for one could never have been free
Freee--eee-eee-eee
If you'd not broke the chains that bound old lonliness to me
The chains that bound old lonliness to me

I'm just writing down the letters of your name
I'm writing down the letters of your name
There are things I've got to tell you but to wake you'd be a shame
So I'm writing, cause to wake you'd be a shame

Now I'm thinking of the child you'll someday bear
Just thinking of that child you'll bear
Of the songs it'll hear me singin' and the love that we will share
The child, and the love that we will share

I know sometimes you're inclined to doze
To fuss with your hair and wrinkle up your nose
You don't wanna fight the world if there's a run in your last hose
You're my darlin', and I love you, Nancy Rose

---------

Some "trivia" about the song from the album liner notes: His original song
with that melody had entirely different lyrics. The song was called "I'm
Going to Get My Baby Out of Jail." written for a man in the South whose
pregnant wife had been jailed as the result of a sit-in. The "Nancy" in the
recorded song is indeed Len Chandler's wife. When she heard the "Jail" song
she told Len that the melody was too pretty for just one song. So then,
Chandler wrote this second set of lyrics for his wife, but didn't let her
know about it until he played it in concert one night when she was in the
audience. "It blew her mind."

--Phil
Phil Feldman

Jim Colletti wrote>