Lyrics:Greasy Grimy Gopher Guts

G. Hunnicutt

Jun 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/19/95
I am compiling the lyrics of the childhood song sung to the tune of
"The Old Gray Mare" that started with "Great Big Gobs of Greasy Grimy
Gopher Guts" or variations of the same. If you remember yours please
send me your version along with where you were when you learned this
version. I have found some interesting variations that perhaps have a
regional distribution. Thank you all who have responded and those that
will. Gary

Please respond to: Hunn...@sun.uchc.edu

William Wagman

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
There is a CD entitled GOOBERS that has a recording of the song, if
memory serves it's sung by Penn Gillette (of Penn & Teller). Lots of
other off the wall kids stuff.

NesAuction (nesau...@aol.com) wrote:
: Great Big Globs of Greasy grimy gopher guts
: Chopped up bloody birdy feet
: mutilated monkey feet
: add a can of all-purpose porpoise puss
: and me without a spoon
: (I'll use a straw!)
: SNe...@power.net

--
Bill Wagman
I.T. Campus Access Point

Adam C Schneider

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
This is what I remember:

{Girls,boys} are made of greasy, grimy gopher guts
Chopped up monkey feet, ordinary birdy seed
French-fried eyeballs rolled in banana grease
[Damn, I can't remember the last line.]

Adam

==-=--=---=----=-----=-------=--------=--------=-------=-----=----=---=--=-==
Adam Schneider schn...@maroon.tc.umn.edu Minneapolis, MN
If you want guitar chords for Mary Chapin Carpenter, Indigo Girls,
Mary Karlzen, Nanci Griffith, etc., go to my World Wide Web page:
http://www.umn.edu/nlhome/m161/schn0170/acs.html
==-=--=---=----=-----=-------=--------=--------=-------=-----=----=---=--=-==

NesAuction

Jun 20, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/20/95
Great Big Globs of Greasy grimy gopher guts

mbr0

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
In article <3s4pg5$g...@threed.uchc.edu>,

Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
Mutilated monkey meat,
Contaminated camel's feet,
Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
Lyin' on the kitchen floor.
--
Mark of the Valley of Roses
m...@gte.com

Thorin T. Oakenshield

Jun 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/21/95
The way I heard it was:

Great, green gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,
Pukulated monkey meat,
Little, tiny birdies' feet.
All adds up to such a lucious treat -
But, I forgot my spoon.
(So, they gave me a fork.....)

--
T. T. O.

G. Hunnicutt

Robert Ardinger Jr.

Jun 22, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/22/95
> Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
> Mutilated monkey meat,
> Contaminated camel's feet,
> Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
> **** Lyin' on the kitchen floor.****

My son's last line = "And me without a spoon"

jef...@cruzio.com

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95
In article <3s9cs3$l...@ceylon.gte.com>, mb...@roger.gte.com (mbr0) writes:
> In article <3s4pg5$g...@threed.uchc.edu>,
> G. Hunnicutt <hunn...@sun.uchc.edu> wrote:

The version I know from elementary school in the Santa Clara Valley of
California in the mid-1960's is:

Great big globs of greasy grimy gopher guts
French fried piggies feet
Mutilated monkey's meat
Four bloody eyeballs rolled down a dirty street
And I forgot my spoon
It's almost noon...
--
Jeff Emery jef...@cruzio.com KZSC Radio
88.1 FM

shbur...@desire.wright.edu

Jun 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/23/95

The version my great uncle used to sing to me went:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Chopped up baby birdie feet
French-fried eyeballs soaking in a pool of blood
All to eat without a spoon
But I've got a straw

I've heard some kids sing a second verse, too, but I can't remember it. Any
seven year old can probably sing it, though.

Stacey Burright
Anachronauts--not hard rock....hard science!
shbur...@library.wright.edu

James McNeil

Jun 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/29/95
The version I heard was:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts

mutilated monkey feet
chopped up pidgeon beaks (I can't remember the next line -- but it
... wasn't what I've seen mentioned here so far.
Possibly it was just a repeat of the first line.)
That's what we eat at school.

It was sung to a tune that I'm blanking on... but alternate words I've
heard to the tune are:

I'm too young to march in the infantry
shoot the artillary
ride in the calvary
I'm too young to march in the infantry
But I'm in the Lord's army.

Lianne
--
+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:+:
Lianne or Jim McNeil Water those flowers you want to grow.

Noemi

Jun 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM6/30/95
Somebody may already have mentioned this, but several versions of the
lyrics can be found in the Pankake's compilation, "Joe's Got a Head Like
a Ping-Pong Ball".

Noemi

I remember:
would you like a bowl of greasy grimy gopher guts,
mutilated monkey feet,
teeny, tiny birdies' feet,
bla bl bla bla bla-bla bla-bla bla bla bla
I forgot my spoon.

GreeneKing

Jul 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/1/95
Good grief is it really folk music? It certainly BEHAVES like folk music
and well, i confess I DO know a version...... this from 2nd grade recess:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Little birdies' dirty feet
Piles and piles of all-purpose porpoise pus
I forgot my spoon
(I brought my straw)

Who needs the words and WHY??

cathy rytmeister

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
schn...@maroon.tc.umn.edu (Adam C Schneider) wrote:

> This is what I remember:
>
> {Girls,boys} are made of greasy, grimy gopher guts
> Chopped up monkey feet, ordinary birdy seed
> French-fried eyeballs rolled in banana grease
> [Damn, I can't remember the last line.]

Ours went:
Great big lumps of greasy grimy gopher heads
Forty little froggy's legs
Mutilated monkey's heads
All mixed up with
Ventilated eagle's vomit
Eaten without a spoon!

This is quite different from those already posted - maybe
this is the Australian version!!
Cathy R.

JoeLHiggs

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
Here's the real version:
Great green globs of greasy, grimey, gopher guts
Mutilated monkey's feet
Little, bloody birdie's feet
It all adds up to all purpose porpoise pus

And I forgot my spoon
But we have straws
JOELHIGGS

SMWM

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
ok ...ok ...my turn

la...la...la

GREAT BIG GOBS OF GREASY, GRIMMY, GOPHER GUTS
MANILATED MONKEY MEAT
CHOPPED UP PARAKEET
FRENCH FRIED EYE BALLS SITTING IN A POOL OF BLOOD
AND ME WITH OUT A SPOON

Matthew Baker
"not just a kid at heart..."

--
sm...@netcom.com

Rick Shumway

Jul 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/3/95
FWIW here's my best recollection of what we used to sing:

Great big gobs of greasy, grimy gopher guts,
mutilated monkey meat, hairy little piggies feet
all wrapped up in vicious looking vulture vomit

and me without a spoon

***but here's a straw***

Kristina Cizas

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95
My version (s):

Great green globs of greasy grimy gopher guts
mutilated monkey meat
very dirty birdie feet
pale pink piles of petrified pelican puke
and me without my spoon.

Or
french-fried eyeballs rolling down a bloody street
and me without my spoon.

Goddess help us all.

Moi

Jul 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/6/95

Here is mine. (God, it must be 30 years ago)

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Petrified pigs feet
Chopped off heads and Barbequed toenails
and I forgot my spoon
(But I remembered my stra-a-a-a-w)

I have a feeling this song has many regional variations.

Elyse Eisner

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
The one I knew (sorry if someone's already posted it) was:

Great green gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat

Little birdies' bloody feet
Great green gobs of all purpose porpoise pus
And I forgot my spoon.

Elyse

JK13

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
I heard it as:

Great big globs of greasy grimy gopher guts
constipated monkey meat
mutilated birdie feet
and just one jar of all purpose porpoise puss

G. Hunnicutt

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/11/95
Thanks to every one who is responding. If you could let me know where
you learned your version and the approximate year that would be very
helpful.
You can email me at HUNN...@SUN.UCHC.EDU. Thanks again.

G. Hunnicutt

Diana Hammond

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
G. Hunnicutt (huni...@sun.uchc.edu) wrote:
: Thanks to every one who is responding. If you could let me know where

Abby Sale

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/15/95
DH> G. Hunnicutt (huni...@sun.uchc.edu) wrote:

(Thanks Diane)

From the daughter, Rodi Steindl, who learned this in 1985 Orlando.

Greasy grimey gopher guts
mutilated monkey meat
camel snot and piggies feet
gobs and gobs of all purpose porpose pus
and you forgot your spoon.

We're serving scab sandwich, pus on top
monkey doodey, camel snot
tiger's eyeballs soaked in glue
Yummy, yummy, yummy it's good for you
Bapadadada.......Food Fight!

From: | Abby...@animece.oau.org, as...@animece.oau.org
Abby Sale | ...!ucf-cs!alfred!animece!Abby.Sale
Orlando, FL | FIDOnet: 1:363/137.0 (407) 834-6090

FOGS

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/17/95
I remember it from the early '60's as:

Girls are made of
Greasy grimy gopher guts
Chop chop liver meat
Concentrated monkey feet!

Repeated ad nauseum, then run around in a tight circle until you fall down
dizzy.

No doubt it gained a more poetic tilt in the 30 years since...

crobert...@gmail.com

Feb 12, 2019, 2:00:46 PM2/12/19
On Monday, June 19, 1995 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-6, G. Hunnicutt wrote:
> I am compiling the lyrics of the childhood song sung to the tune of
> "The Old Gray Mare" that started with "Great Big Gobs of Greasy Grimy
> Gopher Guts" or variations of the same. If you remember yours please
> send me your version along with where you were when you learned this
> version. I have found some interesting variations that perhaps have a
> regional distribution. Thank you all who have responded and those that
> will. Gary
>
> Please respond to: Hunn...@sun.uchc.edu

Great green gobs of greasy Grimy gopher guts
mutilated monkey meat
dirty little birdies feet
French fried eyeball simmering in a pool of blood
and i don't have a spoon

thelit...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 12:23:39 PM6/10/19

Great green globs of gushy grimy gopher guts,
Little dirty birdie's feet,
Mutilated monkey's meat,
Five green eyeball rolling down the muddy street
And I forgot my spoon,
I forgot my spoon,
Five quart jars of prickly priceless porpoise pus,

thelit...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2019, 12:24:55 PM6/10/19
Brooklyn, NY, late 50's

shan...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2019, 4:08:21 PM8/20/19
Great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Little Birdy dirty feet

French fried eyeballs floating in a bowl of blood
That's what I had for lunch

Without a spoon

john.n...@gmail.com

Jan 23, 2020, 8:03:24 PM1/23/20
Great big gobs of greasy grimy Gopher Guts mutilated monkey nuts that's all I got

Still Bud

Jan 23, 2020, 11:43:37 PM1/23/20
On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 17:03:22 -0800 (PST), john.n...@gmail.com
wrote:

>Great big gobs of greasy grimy Gopher Guts mutilated monkey nuts that's all I got

Hell, THAT has it's own Wiki article..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Gobs_of_Greasy,_Grimy_Gopher_Guts

Still Bud

Jan 23, 2020, 11:44:57 PM1/23/20
wrote:

>Great big gobs of greasy grimy Gopher Guts mutilated monkey nuts that's all I got

OR..

http://boyscouttrail.com/content/song/greasy_grimy_gopher_guts-467.asp

asia...@aol.com

Feb 11, 2020, 8:19:05 AM2/11/20
Our version in central Illinois,
Went like this: great big gobs of greasy grimy gopher guys

Mutalated monkey meat

French fried eyeballs simmering in a pot of stew

And me without my spoon! That's all I can remember!

cnot...@gmail.com

May 20, 2020, 9:29:57 AM5/20/20
On Monday, June 19, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, G. Hunnicutt wrote:
> I am compiling the lyrics of the childhood song sung to the tune of
> "The Old Gray Mare" that started with "Great Big Gobs of Greasy Grimy
> Gopher Guts" or variations of the same. If you remember yours please
> send me your version along with where you were when you learned this
> version. I have found some interesting variations that perhaps have a
> regional distribution. Thank you all who have responded and those that
> will. Gary
>
> Please respond to: Hunn...@sun.uchc.edu

Great big gobs of:
Greasy grimy gopher guts,
Mutilated up monkey meat,
Chopped up birdie feet,
French fried eyeballs floatin' in a pool of grease,
And I Forget my spoooooon!

melaniew...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 11:10:21 AM7/7/20
Great gobs of greasy grimy gopher guts
Mutilated monkey meat
Turtles’ hands and turtles’ feet
French fried eyeballs roasting in a pot of snot
And I forgot my spoon
But I’ve got my straaawwwww [insert slurping noise]

tear...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2020, 4:18:42 PM8/2/20
A Great big gob of mutilated monkey meat, little birdie's dirty feet, french fried eye-balls sitting in a pool of blood and I forgot my spoon. I learned it in Michigan.

cainewulfe

Jan 17, 2022, 12:31:01 PMJan 17
Great green gobs of gooey grimy gopher guts
Munched up monkey meat
Little birdies dirty feet
French fried eyeballs floating in a bowl of stew
Oops I forgot my straw, but I got ma SPOON!

Ontario, Canada 1990s
Learned through family, not school

Marble2

Jan 17, 2022, 7:52:00 PMJan 17
tear...@gmail.com wrote in

> A Great big gob of mutilated monkey meat, little birdie's dirty
> feet, french fried eye-balls sitting in a pool of blood and I
> forgot my spoon. I learned it in Michigan.

Digital Tradition is great for those campfire songs.

GREAT, GREEN GOBS OF GREASY, GRIMY GOPHER GUTS (2)
(Tom Glazer)
https://mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=8840
https://youtu.be/MzMshNafGFs

Bretton Ferguson

Oct 19, 2022, 7:20:38 PMOct 19
The way we sung it as best I remember was:

Great big globs of greasy grimy gopher guts,
Mutilated monkey meat,
Half eaten hippo hearts,
French fried eyeballs soaking in a pool of blood,