Another song identification?

Cyril

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Here's another one for you knowledgeable guys - this time it's a bit
more folky.

I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
think both versions exist but not 100% sure.

Does anyone know the proper title, and where I could get hold of the
words, or who has recorded it, urls with lyircs, records available,
etc.? I've searched the web with no resulkt so far.

Any help appreciated.

TIA

Cyril

James W. Barrett

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
Cyril wrote:

> I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
> like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
> think both versions exist but not 100% sure.

-- Anna Russell performs this at the end of her "First Farewell
Concert" video, which is mostly devoted to spoofing classical
music.

- James Barrett, Physics Dept, SUNY, Stony Brook, NY 11790-3800

MeadowMan2

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
>I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
>like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
>think both versions exist but not 100% sure.

A search on "Susannas a funny old man" gave this up at <A
HREF="http://homestead.org/funsongs.htm">click for site</A>
http://homestead.org/funsongs.htm
THE OLD SOW SONG
(1) Snort (2) rasberry (3) whistle

There was an old man and he had an old sow
(1) sow (2) sow (3) Hi diddle dow,
There was an old man and he had an old sow,
La sa fa ral de ray.

Oh, Susanna's a funny old man,
(1) man (2) man (3) Hi diddle dan,
Oh, Susanna's a funny old man,
La sa fa ral de ray.

And this old sow had three little pigs etc.

They tried to get over the garden wall etc.

But they couldn't get over the garden wall etc.

(Note: One of several pig songs that demand sound effects)

Hope this helps, Terry Roberts
MP3~Cds~cassettes</a>
http://members.aol.com/MeadowMan2/new.html

Kevin Sheils

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
MeadowMan2 wrote:

> >I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
> >like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
> >think both versions exist but not 100% sure.
>
> A search on "Susannas a funny old man" gave this up at <A
> HREF="http://homestead.org/funsongs.htm">click for site</A>
> http://homestead.org/funsongs.htm

<snipped lyrics>

There's a version IIRC on Topic Records Voice of the People Series No 7
"First I'm Going to Sing You a Ditty" TSCD657.

--
Kevin Sheils
http://www.mrscasey.co.uk/ For Sidmouth/Towersey Festivals etc

Cyril

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:47:06 -0500, "James W. Barrett"
<jbar...@sbastk.ess.sunysb.edu> wrote:

>Cyril wrote:
>>
>> I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
>> like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
>> think both versions exist but not 100% sure.
>>

>-- Anna Russell performs this at the end of her "First Farewell
> Concert" video, which is mostly devoted to spoofing classical
> music.

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard Anna Russell and as you say, I assume her version would be
some sort of classical spoof, as most (if not all?) of her stuff is.

Since my original posting I found a reference on the web that Spike
Jones might have recorded it, but no details.

But I think it might have been done originally as a folk song. From
what I can remember, it went something like:

There was an old farmer who had an old sow
? ow ? ow ? idlley-dow
Susannah's a funny old man
? an, ? an, ? idley-dan
Susannah's a funny old man
Sing lassie go ring so rillo (not sure about this line!)
Susannah's a funny old man
? an, ? an, ? idley-dan

where the ?s are replace by sound effects such as grunts, whistles
etc.

Trouble is, I can't remember where I heard it - could have been in a
folk club or on radio.

Can anyone identify it from this description?

Cyril

SLHinton17

Jan 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/19/00
On Tue, 18 January 2000, cy...@noSPAM.fixed.abode (Cyril) wrote:

>I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
>like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
>think both versions exist but not 100% sure.
>

>Does anyone know the proper title, and where I could get hold of the
>words, or who has recorded it, urls with lyircs, records available,
>etc.? I've searched the web with no resulkt so far.

*****************
There was a recording, I think by Stanley Holloway, that was popular in 1939 or
so . . . .The title was "The Old Sow Song", and my memory of the words is like
this:

THE OLD SOW SONG

There was an old man and he had an old sow,

(SNORT) sow
(RASPBERRY) sow
(WHISTLE) sow
Hi diddle dow.

There was an old man and he had an old sow,

Lassa fol lol de-ray__

CHORUS:
Oh ----

Susanna's a funny old man

(SNORT) man
(RASPBERRY) man
(WHISTLE) man --
Susanna's a funny old man.

Now this old sow had three little pigs,
ETC
Hi diddle digs,
ETC.

CHORUS:

They all climbed over the garden wall,
ETC.
Hi diddle dall.
ETC.

CHORUS:

(The RASPBERRY sound is made by extruding the tongue and blowing so as to make
tongue and lips vibrate in a buzzing sound. It's one of the few Cockney
Rhyming Slang words that have become imbedded in American slang -- short for
"Raspberry Tart" which rhymes with "lip fart.")

Sam Hinton
La Jolla, CA

paul

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
SLHinton17 wrote:

> (The RASPBERRY sound is made by extruding the tongue and blowing so as to make
> tongue and lips vibrate in a buzzing sound. It's one of the few Cockney
> Rhyming Slang words that have become imbedded in American slang -- short for
> "Raspberry Tart" which rhymes with "lip fart.")

Just any old fart in fact. Is 'berk' (or 'burke') an abusive term in the
USA? That's rhyming slang too- Berkshire (or Berkeley) hunt. Don't know
what it rhymes with though.

Paul Burke

James W. Barrett

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
Cyril wrote:

> James W. Barrett wrote:

> >Cyril wrote:
> >>
> >> I remember hearing a song in more than one version, called something
> >> like "Susanna's a funny old man" or "Susanna's a funny old sow" - I
> >> think both versions exist but not 100% sure.
> >>

> >-- Anna Russell performs this at the end of her "First Farewell
> > Concert" video, which is mostly devoted to spoofing classical
> > music.
>
> I've heard Anna Russell and as you say, I assume her version would be
> some sort of classical spoof, as most (if not all?) of her stuff is.

-- Actually, it's not. She explains that when she realized that she
was never going to make it as a serious classical singer, she gave
folksinging a try, and sings this as an example of the sort of
thing
she did during that phase of her life.

bogus address

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00

paul <pa...@scazon.u-net.com> writes:
> Is 'berk' (or 'burke') an abusive term in the USA? That's rhyming
> slang too- Berkshire (or Berkeley) hunt. Don't know what it rhymes
> with though.

I'm pretty sure this is urban legend, because in the UK the first
syllable of both "Berkshire" and "Berkeley" are pronounced "bark".

I would guess that 'berk" is derived from the name of William Burke
the murderer/bodysnatcher.

---> email to "jc" at this site: email to "jack" or "bogus" will bounce <---
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data and recipes,
freeware logic fonts for the Macintosh, and Scots traditional music resources

Joe Kesselman

Jan 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/20/00
paul wrote:
> Is 'berk' (or 'burke') an abusive term in the USA? That's rhyming slang too- Berkshire (or Berkeley) hunt. Don't know
> what it rhymes with though.

No, it isn't common in the US.

Rhymes with a four-letter word for pudendum. Someone I know once wrote a
short a UK-to-US translating dictionary, which included some rhyming
slang examples; this is one.

He gave it as Berkeley but didn't cite an authority, so believe or not
as you like. But I wouldn't write it off because that's pronounced as
bark-. Pronunciation does shift over time.

"And in America, they haven't used it in years." -- from My Fair Lady
Joe Kesselman, http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/
February 12th at the Walkabout Clearwater Coffeehouse:
David Roth shares our stage with Betty and the Baby Boomers.
http://www.lovesong.com/walkabout/ (recently updated!)

paul

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
bogus address wrote:

th though.

> in the UK the first
> syllable of both "Berkshire" and "Berkeley" are pronounced "bark".
>
> I would guess that 'berk" is derived from the name of William Burke
> the murderer/bodysnatcher.

By no means all the UK. Where I come from (Lancashire) it would have
been pronounced "burkshire" unless people were on their Sunday
behaviour. How Cockneys pronounced it in the 19th century I don't know-
reading Dickens suggests that Cockney itself underwent some pretty
radical changes in the last 175 years.

Paul Burke

Caz O

Jan 27, 2024, 5:17:51 AMJan 27