Re: The Mists of Avalon query

1 view

David Dalton

Sep 7, 2022, 3:21:26 AM9/7/22
On Sep 7, 2022, David Dalton wrote
(in article<0001HW.28C878CD00...@88.198.57.247>):

> I loaned my copy of Marion Zimmer Bradley’s The Mists of Avalon
> to my niece Hazel quite a while ago and she hasn’t returned it,
> so I don’t have it handy.
>
> In the book, does the Great Rite love scene between the
> (I think horned) hero and heroine take place at full moon?
> I think that is when he gets dragon lines on his arms as well,
> but my memory is fuzzy, I haven’t read it since 1996.
>
> Some may be interested in my thread
> “Leading up to Harvest Moon”
> on alt.religion.druid .

Perhaps the immunity will have kicked in by full moon.

However the lines (from a song in Shakespeare’s The Tempest)

“SPring come to you at the farthest
In the very end of harvest
Scarcity and want shall shun you
Ceres blessing so is on you”

might indicate the November 8 full moon, the closest full
moon to SamHAin, since that is the very end of harvest
(third harvest, where first is Lughnasadh and second
is Mabon), at least in Vancouver, though it might be a
bit late for here in Newfoundland. But I think the
Great Rite mentioned above took place at Beltane
or the full moon closest to it.

But I suppose the Spring come to you at the farthest
might mean that the production of the fall harvest
will last until the spring, maybe even until Beltane,
when new crops start to be available, though not
yet here in Newfoundland, where summer is
delayed a bit but fall is pretty good, due to the
lag in the warming and cooling of the ocean

³And the cart is on a wheel; And the wheel is on a hill;
And the hill is shifting sand; And inside these laws we stand" (Ferron)