Recorded version of "Danny boy" ?

Jürgen HEYN

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
some time ago I saw an american movie. The good (irish) guy was shot and a
chorus sang the song "Danny boy". Now I found this song in an irish song
book.
I would like to here a recorded version from any artist(s) that sang the
mentioned song.

I appreciate any hint. Thank you very much in advance.

Jürgen HEYN j.h...@online.de

Midgaard

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
In article <7j83mq$k89$1...@news.online.de>, "Jürgen HEYN" <j.h...@online.de>
wrote:

You might try www.allmusic.com and you'll likely get a good many bands
that did this. I ***BELIEVE*** the Chieftains did it some time ago, Great
tune. If you pickup the Soundtrack from the Film "The Great White Hype"
it's likely on there too as they play it as the White Boxer played by that
young Dr on Chicago Hope comes out to battle Damon Wayans in the ring.
Very funny movie BTW.

--

Golden Bear

Stewa1

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
I love Joan Baez' version of "Danny Boy" on her "Diamonds and Rust" album on
A&M.
take care,jim

Jon-Jon

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
Not a folk singer, but mezzo soprano Marilyn Horne does a lovely version of
this song.

Jon-Jon

G. M. Watson

Jun 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/4/99
I'm usually able to respond rationally to sentimental songs, especially one
which has been recorded and mawkishly butchered by far too many hack artists
to be taken entirely seriously any more, but I freely admit that Paul
Robeson's recording of "Danny Boy" (the 1958 one on Vanguard) has moved me
to tears on more than one occasion. For me, it's the *only* version, as is
the case with a number of other popular songs recorded by Robeson. Speaking
of pop-Celtic sentiment, Robeson does an equally lovely performance of "Loch
Lomond" on the same album, by the way.
The fact that Brian Mulroney, the (justifiably) most-despised Prime Minister
of Canada in living memory (a former semi-professional Irish boy tenor and a
diehard Conservative), was given to singing "Danny Boy" at the drop of a hat
at numerous public/private occasions, including at least one state dinner
for his good friends the Reagans (reportedly at Ronnie's request), tested my
affection for the song, I must admit. But I think it's probably safe to
listen to it again now that he's been out of office for a few years.

----------
In article <19990604222712...@ng-cb1.aol.com>, jes...@aol.com
(JesiAna) wrote:

>Virtually scores of people have recorded this song, but it's still a good one.
>I agree with Jon-Jon, Marilyn Horne does an amazingly beautiful rendition. So
>did John McCormack...and Paul Robeson. Those are my personal favorites. But I'm
>sure there are plenty of other good ones out there.
>
>Roger Whittaker does a recording of it in a more folksy style...I think Liam
>Clancy may have recorded it as well, but I'm not sure about that one.
>

>Jesiana
>
>"If you can walk, you can dance. If you can talk, you can sing."

Stewa1

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
Before she came to the US and became a pop singer, Gisele MacKenzie sang it on
her radio show "Meet Gisele" in Canada, where she sang lots of international
folkish tunes. I have a transcription of one of her shows where she sings this
lovely tune.

JesiAna

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99

Stephen Suffet

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
to G. M. Watson
G. M. Watson wrote:

> I'm usually able to respond rationally to sentimental songs,
> especially one which has been recorded and mawkishly butchered by far
> too many hack artists to be taken entirely seriously any more, but I
> freely admit that Paul Robeson's recording of "Danny Boy" (the 1958
> one on Vanguard) has moved me to tears on more than one occasion. For
> me, it's the *only* version, as is the case with a number of other
> popular songs recorded by Robeson.

Greetings:

I also love Paul Robeson's rendition.

Distant runners-up include Joan Baez, Willie Brady, John McCormack.
And they are all great!

Just didn't work for me: Nina Simone.

Wildest and most original "Danny Boy": Black 47. Theirs begins and
ends with Fred Weatherly's words set to the traditional "Londonderry
Air," but in-between they lay down a hip-hop style rap about a gay Irish
immigrant to the USA who is dying of AIDS.

Regards,
Steve

Chip Taylor

Jun 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/5/99
In article <7j83mq$k89$1...@news.online.de>, "Jürgen HEYN" <j.h...@online.de> wrote:
>Hi,
>some time ago I saw an american movie. The good (irish) guy was shot and a
>chorus sang the song "Danny boy". Now I found this song in an irish song
>book.
>I would like to here a recorded version from any artist(s) that sang the
>mentioned song.
>
>I appreciate any hint. Thank you very much in advance.
>
>Jürgen HEYN j.h...@online.de

RCA has a complete album of nothing BUT Danny Boy (.RCA 9026 68133)
astonishingly called "The Danny Boy Album" with versions by Mario Lanza, James
Galway, Richard Stoltzman, Fiedler, Stokowski, Robert White, Ora Harnoy, Peter
Nero, Al Hirt, The Chieftans, Roger Whittaker and Kate Smith (12 versions in
all!).

G. M. Watson

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I'd like to further note, by the way, that Paul Robeson could probably have
sung selections from the Brooklyn telephone directory and still moved me
deeply. What a glorious voice!
----------
In article <3758AD...@worldnet.att.net>, Stephen Suffet

Stewa1

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
>Paul Robeson could probably have
>sung selections from the Brooklyn telephone directory and still moved me

For sure...and he was just as brave and strong as he was a fine singer!! The
poor guy really got the American Polictical shaft!!
take care,jim

JesiAna

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
I'm delighted to see a discussion of Paul Robeson here! I know that
stylistically he is often not considered a folksinger. However, he was a
pioneer in the performance of African-American traditional songs (spirituals,
etc.) and "world music," as he sang songs in about a dozen different languages.

I agree, Robeson was also brave and strong, and got the shaft. He is for his
work in music and in civil rights a personal hero of mine. On top of that,
Robeson had one of the finest voices ever heard. The fact that his color kept
him from being able to sing at the Metropolitan Opera is an abomination.
However, we in the "folk" world are fortunate that he sang songs that properly
fit into "our" domain. Ever hear him sing "Joe Hill?" Beats heck out of Joan
Baez or anyone else I've ever heard sing it.

SLHinton17

Jun 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/6/99
On Sun, Jun 6, 1999, jes...@aol.com (JesiAna) wrote:

[snip....]

>Ever hear him sing "Joe Hill?" Beats heck out of Joan
>Baez or anyone else I've ever heard sing it.
*******************
John McCutcheon tells a moving tale of a concert he gave in Sydney, Australia,
where a man asked him to sing "THE song." It was soon revealed that the song
was "Joe Hill", and the man told John how he had been working, as an
electrician, doing the finishing up of the great Opera House. One day, he
said, a car drove up to the front entrance, and a large black man came in and
asked if he could sing a song on the new stage. Word was spread, and the
workmen -- all good Union men -- assembled to hear, and the song was Joe Hill"
sung by Paul Robeson, who said that he would probably never be allowed to sing
in hat Opera House after it opened. His demeanor and his singing made a
tremendous impression, of course, and "Joe Hill" became "The Song" to that
workman. And yes -- John did sing it!

Sam Hinton
La Jolla, CA

JesiAna

Stewa1

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
> Ever hear him sing "Joe Hill?" Beats heck out of Joan
>Baez or anyone else I've ever heard sing it.

I admire Paul Robeson very much, but personally prefer Joan Baez' version of
"Joe Hill." I loved Robeson in the 30's film production of "Show Boat"
with Helen Morgan.
take care,jim

ChezDre

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
Not "folk" either... but Jackie Wilson did Danny Boy, I don't know what album
it was on originally, I have it on a greatest hits album.

My high school home room teacher,
Mr. Harold, sang a mean Danny Boy.

Andre

John Fereira

Jun 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/7/99
In article <19990607021448...@ng-fe1.aol.com>, che...@aol.com (ChezDre) wrote:
>Not "folk" either... but Jackie Wilson did Danny Boy, I don't know what album
>it was on originally, I have it on a greatest hits album.

Also not folk, but the version from the "Brassed Off" soundtrack is amazing,
especially if seen in the context of the movie.

John Fereira
Ithaca, NY
ja...@cornell.edu

Mary Creasey

Jun 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/10/99
Jürgen HEYN wrote:

> Hi,
> some time ago I saw an american movie. The good (irish) guy was shot and a
> chorus sang the song "Danny boy". Now I found this song in an irish song
> book.
> I would like to here a recorded version from any artist(s) that sang the
> mentioned song.
>
> I appreciate any hint. Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Jürgen HEYN j.h...@online.de

THAT on3e (aka "Londonderry Air") has been recorded by dozens of good
folks, but the only version I can actually stand to listen to is on
Tom Smith's album _Tom Smith Plugged_. We carry it, and he sells it
directly; check on:

http://sundry.hsc.usc.edu/random-factorsindex.html [for our online
catalog]

http://www.izzy.com [for Tom's own page]

Mary the Filker
aka Mary Creasey of Random Factors, a filk music dealer

Mahir Ali

Jun 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/12/99
That's a nice story, Sam. By virtue of that impromptu appearance, Paul Robeson
became the first singer to perform at the Sydney Opera House. There's a touching
picture of him, head covered, hand to the ear, making himself heard among the
scaffolding. After learning about the plight of the Aborigines, he promised to
return to Australia to struggle for their rights, but was unable to do so because
of ill-health.

At a concert organised by the Paul Robeson Centenary Committee in Sydney last
year, the main performer, Margret Roadknight, asked an amateur union singer to
perform the last number. It turned out to be a spine-tingling version of Joe
Hill...

Yes, I agree with Jesiana that Paul Robeson's rendition has no equals - not even
the passionate versions performed by Pete Seeger and Joan Baez.

SLHinton17 wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 6, 1999, jes...@aol.com (JesiAna) wrote:
>
> [snip....]

> >Ever hear him sing "Joe Hill?" Beats heck out of Joan
> >Baez or anyone else I've ever heard sing it.

> John McCutcheon tells a moving tale of a concert he gave in Sydney, Australia,

J52152

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
I've heard both Paul Robeson's and Joan Baez's rendering of "Joe Hill", and as
far as I am concerned, they are both spectacular, and should be heard more
often by more people. Billy Bragg's version, "I dreamed I saw Phil Oachs", is
also a powerful expression of similar sentiments.
John