FA: M&E Polymer Irish Flute in D

Kevin Krell

May 31, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/31/00
Keyless polymer flute with tuning slide, nearly indestructible. Modern
pitch. Decent volume for a small-holed flute. Great for travel and
harsh environments with easy care. Left and right hand rotate
separately for comfort. M&E Price list shows this version at $390 for
new purchase. Flute is in original condition and includes the optional
Metal Joint Rings and soft case. May be returned to Michael Cronnolly
in Ireland for upgrade to optional split embrochure (and appropriate
re-bore) for approx. $60 (as quoted by M&E). You may also have keys
added. See more about M&E's flutes at
http://homepage.tinet.ie/~mandeflutes/Contents.htm .

Auction at EBAY

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=345898171

bogus address

Jun 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/1/00

> Keyless polymer flute with tuning slide [...] Left and right hand rotate
> separately for comfort.

Does anybody, anywhere, ever use a flute with the fingerholes not
in a straight line? So how does this "rotating for comfort" work?

I've always assumed that the point of this construction was just to
make the instrument more portable. There is some reason to have the
foot joint of a Boehm flute adjustable, as people have little fingers
of different lengths, but that's not what you're talking about here.

========> Email to "jc" at this site; email to "bogus" will bounce. <========
Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/purrhome.html food intolerance data and recipes,
freeware logic fonts for the Macintosh, and Scots traditional music resources

Paul Burke

Jun 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/2/00
Peter Schug wrote:

> I've got a book called "Method for the One-Keyed Flute" by Boland that
> suggests that the holes of the right hand section and the hole you blow
> across should be lined up, but that the left hand section be turned slightly
> away from the player for an easier reach.

I've always played with all the holes in line, but with the tone hole
turned slightly towards me. But then, I hardly ever use any of the keys.

Paul Burke

Rich Lafferty

Jun 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/3/00
In rec.music.celtic,

bogus address <bo...@purr.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> > Keyless polymer flute with tuning slide [...] Left and right hand rotate
> > separately for comfort.
>
> Does anybody, anywhere, ever use a flute with the fingerholes not
> in a straight line? So how does this "rotating for comfort" work?

I'd assume so, in the case of fingertip players. I'm aware of two
amateur Uilleian pipers who play the flute with their second-knuckle
pads, for whom the extra section would be a requirement.

> I've always assumed that the point of this construction was just to
> make the instrument more portable.

I vaguely recall that one can bore and lathe more accurately on a
smaller section as well, but that could just be my brain acting
weirdly.

-Rich

--
Rich Lafferty ----------------------------------------
Nocturnal Aviation Division, IITS Computing Services

Kevin Krell

Jun 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/5/00
Portability is one reason for the smaller sections. Ease of
construction is certainly another. My wood flute is a single section
for all 6 holes, but it's a 6-key. Piper's grip works on a keyless
flute, but seems tough when you have to clear the key touches on a
keyed flute. I play the M&E with all holes lined up (lower c & c#
vent holes turned toward the listener). On the wood flute, I turn my
embrochure hole in toward me, all other holes are in-line.

Kevin Krell - Computer Support Associates
ke...@csagraphics.com