Archie Fisher tune

G. R. Gardner

Mar 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/18/97

I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher
called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).

Digitrad has/had it, but the transfer to Mudcat only has the lyrics.

Anyone with the chords to this tune or ideas of where to find it?

Thanks

Gary

Barrie McCombs

Mar 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/21/97

G. R. Gardner (ggar...@nwlink.com) wrote:
: I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher

: called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).

Here's what I play. Garnet plays it in DADGAD or some other dropped
tuning so the chords may not be exact. If anyone knows when Archie wrote
the tune, or the name of his recording, I would appreciate it being posted

- Barrie

*****

FINAL TRAWL Time: 4/4 Tenor: C Bass: D
- Archie Fisher, 19??, on: ??
- Record: Garnet Rogers, "Garnet Rogers"

INTRO: 1, 4-5, 4-(5!) [where 5! = pickup in line one ]

5 1 * 5 6m *
It's been three long years___ since we made her pay___
1 4 * * 1 *
Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____
5 6m * 5 4 *
And we can't get by_____ on the subsi-dy_____
5 * 4 5 4
Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____

5 1 * 5 6m *
So now you heave away___, for the final trawl___
1 4 * * 1 *
Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____
5 6m * 5 4 *
It's an easy pull___, for the catch is small___
5 * 4 5 4
Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____

And then you take your gear, lad, and batten down, sing ...
And I'll take her wheel, lad and turn her 'round, sing ...

And then we'll join "The Venture" and "The Morning Star"
Riding high and empty towards the bar

For I'd rather beach her on the Skerry rock
Than to see her torched in the breaker's dock

Then when I die, you can stow me down
In her rusty hold where the breakers sound

And then I'll make the haven of Fiddler's Green
Where the grub is good and the bunks are clean

For I've fished a lifetime, boy and man
And this final trawl scarcely makes a cran

ENDING: REPEAT FIRST VERSE, RESOLVE WITH A FINAL "1" CHORD

NOTES:
- L2: 1/1b on "laddie"
- A cran is likely a unit of weight (about 100 pounds)
- Garnet Rogers uses DADGAD tuning

*****

SYMBOLS:
- Asterisk (*) = new measure, play same chord
- Period (.) = 1/8 note rest at start of a measure
- Underline(_) = sustain note into next measure

CHORDS (Number System):
- The numbers are the notes of the diatonic scale (do-re-me-fa-so-la-ti-do)
- The system lets you play a song in any key, using the same chart
Common Keys: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Key of C C D E F G A B (no sharps)
Key of G G A B C D E F# (1 sharp)
Key of D D E F# G A B C# (2 sharps)
Key of A A B C# D E F# G# (3 sharps)

- From: Barrie McCombs (bmcc...@acs.ucalgary.ca)

Daniel R. Reitman

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997 12:48:32 -0800, "G. R. Gardner"
<ggar...@nwlink.com> wrote:

>I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher
>called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).

>. . . .

I first heard this song as recorded by the Tannahill Weavers on their
"Dancing Feet". My impression from the notes, however, was that it
was traditional. Am I wrong?

Daniel Reitman

Christin Keck

Mar 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/22/97
Nope--Archie Fisher wrote the song. The Tannies did it, and so did
Rogers.
--ck

Rick Deevey

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

On 21 Mar 1997 23:31:26 GMT, bmcc...@acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca (Barrie
McCombs) wrote:

>>: I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher
>>: called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).
>

>Here's what I play. Garnet plays it in DADGAD or some other dropped
>tuning so the chords may not be exact. If anyone knows when Archie wrote
>the tune, or the name of his recording, I would appreciate it being posted
>
>- Barrie
>
>*****
>
>FINAL TRAWL Time: 4/4 Tenor: C Bass: D
>- Archie Fisher, 19??, on: ??
>- Record: Garnet Rogers, "Garnet Rogers"
>
>INTRO: 1, 4-5, 4-(5!) [where 5! = pickup in line one ]
>
>5 1 * 5 6m *
>It's been three long years___ since we made her pay___
>1 4 * * 1 *
>Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____
> 5 6m * 5 4 *
>And we can't get by_____ on the subsi-dy_____
> 5 * 4 5 4
>Sing haul a-way___, my laddie-o_____

An alternate 3rd line here which AF sings (as do the Tannahill Weavers
on their cover of it) is:

"And the owners say that she's had her day"

Archie Fisher sang it on his "Off the Map" recording , which has
Garnet playing fiddle backup for AF on it. (as well as adding his
trademark humour to some of the song introductions).

Rick Deevey

"The name of the song is called `Haddocks' Eyes'"
"Oh, that's the name of the song, is it?" Alice said, trying to feel interested.
"No, you don't understand," the Knight said, looking a little vexed.
"That's what the name is called".

My "Reply To:" address is altered to avoid getting auto-mailed spam in my E-Mail.
(or chocolate in my peanut butter).
To reply, remove the "88" at the front of the address.

MerryFaith

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

My recollection about how Archieplayed this song was that the guitar was
in some unbelieveable tuning...like a "C" open... I admit it's a long time
since I played it but it would have meant that the bass was tuned up to
"F", 5th string was "G", the 4th tuned down to a "C"...then maybe the 2nd
tune up to "C".--so you had F,G C,G,C E.

The fingering was that the moving bass line was played on the FIFTH string
["G"], starting the song fretted at "C" or the "5th" fret and, returning
to the "C" having the effect of the DOUBLE DRONE...the C [at the fifth
fret on the fifth string] and the open "C" on the fourth string which
really added to the its "haunting" quality.

The other finger chords were :
FIFTH: second fret 2nd and 4th strings
FOURTH: first fret 1st and third fret 3rd.

Given the time that Garnet toured with Archie, they may well have both
changed it into something else but this was the way I learned it from
Archie in the late 70's.

Have fun.

Mary Faith

Fred Bulger

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97
to MerryFaith

MerryFaith wrote:

> My recollection about how Archieplayed this song was that the guitar was
> in some unbelieveable tuning...like a "C" open... I admit it's a long time
> since I played it but it would have meant that the bass was tuned up to
> "F", 5th string was "G", the 4th tuned down to a "C"...then maybe the 2nd
> tune up to "C".--so you had F,G C,G,C E.

Interesting tuning. If you changed the F to a C, you would have an
open C
tuning. Anyway, I've seen Garnet play this several times, and I belive
he's
using the DADGAD tuning. Very tasty!

Take care...

-Fred.

Tonysica

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

<<I first heard this song as recorded by the Tannahill Weavers on their
"Dancing Feet". My impression from the notes, however, was that it
was traditional. Am I wrong?>>

I have a couple of recordings of "The Final Trawl" which all give writing
credit to Archie.

Tony Sica
WTMD-FM
Baltimore, Md

Christin Keck

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

> Do you happen to have the label information (including country) on
> "Off the Map"? Is it on CD?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sally
> --
> Sally Greenberg Berkeley, CA
> sal...@ccnet.com http://www.ccnet.com/~sallyg
In my catalog it just says "SNOG-C1112" for label info. It is not on CD
as listed, only cassette.

Sally Greenberg

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:30:07 GMT, 88de...@sympatico.ca (Rick Deevey)
wrote:

>On 21 Mar 1997 23:31:26 GMT, bmcc...@acs5.acs.ucalgary.ca (Barrie
>McCombs) wrote:
>
>>>: I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher
>>>: called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).

>Archie Fisher sang it on his "Off the Map" recording , which has

>Garnet playing fiddle backup for AF on it. (as well as adding his
>trademark humour to some of the song introductions).

Do you happen to have the label information (including country) on

Fred Bulger

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97
to Sally Greenberg

Sally Greenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:30:07 GMT, 88de...@sympatico.ca (Rick Deevey)
> wrote:

> >Archie Fisher sang it on his "Off the Map" recording , which has
> >Garnet playing fiddle backup for AF on it. (as well as adding his
> >trademark humour to some of the song introductions).
>
> Do you happen to have the label information (including country) on
> "Off the Map"? Is it on CD?

Sally,

This album was released on Snow Goose Songs (SGS-1112C), which is
Garnet Rogers' own label. You should be able to order it through his
mother Valerie at:

Valerie Enterprises
Woodburn Road
Hannon, Ontario L0R 1P0
Phone/Fax: 905 692 4020

I have it on cassette, so I couldn't say for sure if it is available
on CD, though I suspect that is; as all of Garnet's solo recordings are.

Take care...

-Fred.

Steve Pope

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

Has anyone gone to the effort to compile an Archie Fisher
discography? I'd be happy to contribute to such an
effort. Unfortunately, the only material of his I have
are the 3 commonly available CD's plus "The Man with the Rhyme"
on vinyl. All excellent. Presumably there is lots more
out there.....

Steve

Mae

Mar 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/29/97

s...@ozark.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Pope) wrote:

The discography listed on www.tunes.com:

Sunsets I've Galloped Into...
Red House Records
Will Ye Gang Love
Green Linnet Records
Man With A Rhyme
Folk Legacy Records, 1976
Archie Fisher
Celtic Music, 1968
Will Ye Gang Love
Green Linnet Records

Sally Greenberg

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997 02:27:42 GMT, I wrote:

>On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 22:30:07 GMT, 88de...@sympatico.ca (Rick Deevey)
>wrote:

>>Archie Fisher sang it on his "Off the Map" recording , which has

>>Garnet playing fiddle backup for AF on it. (as well as adding his
>>trademark humour to some of the song introductions).
>
>Do you happen to have the label information (including country) on
>"Off the Map"? Is it on CD?

Thanks to all who sent info. Apparently it's only available on
cassette (& formerly on LP) on Garnet's Snow Goose label. I managed
to locate a copy at Canadian River Music. Devine Celtic Sounds and
Valerie Enterprises also stock it...

Sally Greenberg

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

On Sat, 29 Mar 1997 20:21:27 GMT, ken...@highway1.com (Mae ) wrote:

>s...@ozark.EECS.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
>>Has anyone gone to the effort to compile an Archie Fisher
>>discography?

>The discography listed on www.tunes.com:

> Sunsets I've Galloped Into...
> Red House Records
> Will Ye Gang Love
> Green Linnet Records
> Man With A Rhyme
> Folk Legacy Records, 1976
> Archie Fisher
> Celtic Music, 1968
> Will Ye Gang Love
> Green Linnet Records

I've also got the cassette:
Archie Fisher & Barbara Dickson - Thro' the Recent Years
(Celtic Music CMC031, 1986)

There are also 2 others that I know of, but don't have:
Archie Fisher & Barbara Dickson - The Fate O'Charlie
(Leader?, 1981?)
The Fisher Family - The Fisher Family (Topic, 1981?)

Sally (who stupidly didn't think to look for Archie Fisher recordings
in Canada...)

Steve Pope

Mar 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/30/97

sal...@ccnet.com (Sally Greenberg) writes:

|>>Has anyone gone to the effort to compile an Archie Fisher
|>>discography?

|I've also got the cassette:

| Archie Fisher & Barbara Dickson - Thro' the Recent Years
| (Celtic Music CMC031, 1986)
|
|There are also 2 others that I know of, but don't have:
| Archie Fisher & Barbara Dickson - The Fate O'Charlie
| (Leader?, 1981?)
| The Fisher Family - The Fisher Family (Topic, 1981?)

Oops -- fortunately I was mistaken. I *do* have "The Fisher Family".
It is Topic 12T137, recorded in 1965 and issued in 1966.

Steve

Rick Deevey

Apr 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/2/97

Archie Fisher .... "Orfeo" 1970 (mine's a vinyl from the notorious
C.M. Distribution)

John McCourt

Apr 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/12/97

I am selling part of my LP collection of Traditional, Folk, Bluegrass, Cajun
and older Country music. Send for Email list.

kevin...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2019, 11:06:08 AM1/18/19
On Tuesday, March 18, 1997 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, G. R. Gardner wrote:
> I've been trying to find the guitar chords to a tune by Archie Fisher
> called "Final Trawl" (recorded by Garnett Rogers).
>
> Digitrad has/had it, but the transfer to Mudcat only has the lyrics.
>
> Anyone with the chords to this tune or ideas of where to find it?
>
> Thanks
>
> Gary

I would like to get the chords to his "River By The Road" if anyone has them. What turning is he using?

hub...@ccanoemail.ca

Jan 18, 2019, 11:52:01 AM1/18/19
Maybe try contacting his-self through his FaceBook page ?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Musician-Band/Archie-Fisher-136973293032035/

The 1997 question, above, might be moot by now.. for G.R. Gardner.

John T.

Lawrence Scanlon

Feb 19, 2021, 3:02:49 PMFeb 19