Lyric Request -- Grandma's Lye Soap

RSandvik

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
A while ago, someone in this group requested the lyrics to an old song
called Grandma's Lye Soap. I believe the request was answered. Would
someone who has them please e-mail the lyrics -- some friends and I are
trying to learn the song for a party.

Thanks

Ken West

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In article <4j928k$b...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, rsan...@aol.com (RSandvik)
wrote:

Let me start the recognitive process. All I can remember for now, from
the early 50's, is:

Mrs. O'Mally,
Down in the valley,
suffered from ulcers,
I understand.
She swallowed a cake,
of Grandma's Lye Soap,
Now she's got the cleanest ulcers in the land!

(chorus)
So sing it right out,
for Grandma's Lye Soap,
Good for anything, anything in the place.
It's for your pans, and dirty dishes,
and for your hands,
and for your face.

I bet there's other verses out there that can be mined from the collective
unconscious.

regards,
Ken West

Ken West

Mar 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/28/96
In article <kenwest-2803...@voyager13.lglobal.com>,
ken...@lglobal.com (Ken West) wrote:

. . . and sure enough another one bubbles up . . .

Brother Herman, and cousin Sherman,
Had an aversion, to washing their ears;
Grandman scrubbed them, with her Lye Soap,
Now they haven't heard a word in years!

(chorus)

Done in a gossple manner.

Let's keep it going.
(I'm really curious as to how R.Sandvick even knew of the song, and of
course, what s/he really wants to do with it.)

regards,
Ken West

J M SPAKE

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
going back 30 years:
Little Herman and Brother Thurman
had and aversion to washing their ears
scrubbed them out with grandma's lye soap
they haven't heard a word in years.
The chourus I remember is:

So sing right out for grandma's lye soap
good for everything in the home
and the secret was in the scrubbin'
'cause it didn't suds or foam.......

Man, I haven't even THOUGHT of that song in 30 years

bfr...@delphi.com

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
We still sing this at family get togethers,,,
The way we sing it (keeping in mind my family is the Cuisinart of
folk processors is:

Do you remember Grandma's Lye soap?
Good for everything, everything in the home.
And the secret was in the scrubblin'
It wouldn't suds. It couldn't foam.

So sing right out for Gramdma's Lye soap
(Sing it loud and clear)
good for everything, everything in the place
The pots and kettles, the dirty dishes
And for the hands and for the face.

Brother Herman, Cousin Sherman
Had an aversion to washing their ears
Grandma scrubbed them with her lye soap
And they haven't heard a word in years...

Mrs. O'Malley, out in the valley
Suffered form ulcers, I understand
Swallowed a glassful of Grandma's lye soap
Now she has the cleanest ulcers in the land...

That's all we know...Mb

Wayne Seymour

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
to bfr...@delphi.com
I certainly don't know the ultimate origin of this thing, but I first
heard it on a 78 rpm called "It's in the Book" by Deacon Johhny Stanley.
Side one was a mock sermon based on the text of "Little Bo-Peep" and Side
two contained the "anthem" "Grandma's Lye Soap"...with the exact lyrics
that you posted...As I recall this opus was the first thing that I ever
performed in public!....Ah....nostalgia!

Wayne Seymour
Conan the Librarian

coachja...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2017, 12:05:05 PM7/24/17
I remember it like this:
Oh sing along for grandmas lye soap
It's good for everything under the sun
It's good for rubbing it's good for scrubbing
It helps you get your housework done.

Oh my friend Larry and his brother jerry
Had gotten in trouble for not washing their ears
So mama scrubbed them with grandmas lye soap
They haven't heard a word in years

Then there was a verse about a swimming pool being scrubbed with the lye soap and how they came out without their skin.

Wish I could remember the rest of the version I herad. There were 2 other verses also. Nothing about ulcers though.

Joseph C. Fineman

Jul 24, 2017, 6:06:40 PM7/24/17
http://mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=2386
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: If you are are patient and wait long enough, nothing will :||
||: happen. :||

spf...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2019, 4:34:26 AM7/2/19
On Tuesday, 26 March 1996 08:00:00 UTC, RSandvik wrote:
> A while ago, someone in this group requested the lyrics to an old song
> called Grandma's Lye Soap. I believe the request was answered. Would
> someone who has them please e-mail the lyrics -- some friends and I are
> trying to learn the song for a party.
>
> Thanks

LIsten to an album called Crazy Guys the original is on there it's called 'In The Book' by Johnny Standledy

Joseph C. Fineman

Jul 2, 2019, 9:30:57 PM7/2/19
Failing that, see https://mudcat.org/@displaysong.cfm?SongID=2386
--
--- Joe Fineman jo...@verizon.net

||: Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to :||
||: get there. :||

Bonnie Fraser

Jan 28, 2023, 1:07:35 PM1/28/23
On Tuesday, March 26, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, RSandvik wrote:
> A while ago, someone in this group requested the lyrics to an old song
> called Grandma's Lye Soap. I believe the request was answered. Would
> someone who has them please e-mail the lyrics -- some friends and I are
> trying to learn the song for a party.
> Thanks

"It's in the Book" was a satirical record (45) by the comedian Foster Brooks (I still own the record and found another one on eBay). He sang at a country fair, pretending to be a minister. He told his audience to get out their hymnals and began to sing "Grandma's Lye Soap". And told them "it's in the book.

--Bonnie Higginbotham Fraser

Ian Jackson

Feb 1, 2023, 3:41:09 PM2/1/23
In message <e31a561c-da16-4a5b...@googlegroups.com>,
Bonnie Fraser <grandma...@gmail.com> writes
When I was a youngster (some seventy years ago), one of my friends had
the record. IIRC, the words started something like this:
"Let me tell you 'bout Grandma's lye soap,
Good for everything in the home.
And the secret was in the spreading,
It wouldn't sud, it wouldn't foam."
--