Steeleye Span albums

Tim Engle

Jan 11, 1994, 10:46:46 AM1/11/94
I am a new member to the folk scene and recently requested bands to look
for. Steeleye Span was one of them mentioned. I bought 'Hark! The
Village Wait' and I love it. What other Steeleye Span albums are worth
getting. Should I just buy them all?

Doug Landauer

Jan 11, 1994, 5:31:38 PM1/11/94

My favorites are Hark..., Below the Salt (more electrified than most),
Parcel of Rogues, Please to See the King, and the three Tim Hart/Maddy
Prior collaborations. The latter three, and Hark... and Please...
are the most acoustic-sounding. On many of the others (especially
after "Now We Are Six", they start sounding a bit like an average 70's
rock band (due IMHO to their acquisition of a drummer), although Maddy
Prior's incredible voice and the band's attention to vocals and to
harmony still make most of the other albums worth my while, anyway.

The later albums do still have some outstanding songs, though --
"Drink Down the Moon/The Cuckoo", "The Two Magicians", "Seven Hundred
Elves", "Orfeo", "The Brown Girl", and "The Black Freighter" come
to mind for me.

Below is a (nearly) complete list of the songs that are on all the
Steeleye Span albums up to about 1988 or '89, when I stopped paying close
attention. (A live album called "Tonight's the Night", and two Christmas
albums by Maddy Prior and the Carnival band, are a few of the known
omissions in this list (and in my collection).)

A lot of this information was provided by Ken Josenhans (who seems to be
at 1302...@msu.edu these days), and who may have a more current
discography/songography.

I have marked with asterisks the songs to which I (used to) know some or
all of the words, for what that's worth. This set of songs is similar
to, though not quite identical to, the set of songs that I consider to
be their best ones. Sorry, all this info is pre-CD, so I can't comment
on what's on CD and what isn't.

###
SS-1 -- Hark! The Village Wait
(1970; originally on UK RCA SF 8113, later on Mooncrest;
Chrysalis in the US after 1976.)

A Calling-On Song * All Things are Quite Silent
The Blacksmith The Hills of Greenmore
Fisherman's Wife My Johnny was a Shoemaker
The Blackleg Miner Lowlands of Holland
Dark-eyed Sailor Twa Corbies
Copshawholme Fair One Night as I Lay on My Bed

###
SS-2 -- Please to See the King
(1971; Mooncrest CREST 8 in the UK, Big Tree in the US (with one
of the worst pressings ever manufactured); Chrysalis in the US
after 1976.)

The Blacksmith False Knight On The Road
Cold, Haily, Windy Night The Lark in the Morning *
Jigs: Bryan O'Lynn/The Hag Female Drummer
with the Money
Prince Charlie Stuart The King
Boys of Bedlam * Lovely on the Water *

###
SS-3 -- Ten Man Mop, or Mr. Reservoir Butler Rides Again
(1971; Mooncrest CREST 9 in the UK; Chrysalis in the US
after 1976, I assume)

Gower Wassail Marrowbones *
Jigs: Paddy Clancy's Jig/ Captain Coulston
Willie Clancy's Fancy Reels: Dowd's Favorite/L- (pound sign)10
Four Nights Drunk * Float/The Morning Dew
When I Was On Horseback Wee Weaver
Skewball

###
SS-4 -- Below the Salt
(1972; Chrysalis 1008 in UK and US)

Spotted Cow * King Henry *
Rosebud in June * Gaudete *
Jigs John Barleycorn *
Sheep-crook and Black Dog * Saucy Sailor
Royal Forester *

###
SS-5 -- Parcel of Rogues
(1973; Chrysalis 1046)

One Misty Moisty Morning * The Wee Wee Man
Alison Gross * The Weaver and the Factory Maid *
The Bold Poachers Rogues in a Nation
The Ups and Downs (Aylesbury) * Cam Ye O'er Frae France *
Robbery with Violins Hares on the Mountain *

###
SS-6 -- Now We Are Six
(1974; Chrysalis 1053)

Thomas the Rhymer The Mooncoin Jig
Two Magicians * Drink Down the Moon/The Cuckoo *
Edwin Long A-Growing
Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star Now We Are Six
Seven Hundred Elves To Know Him is to Love Him

###
SS-7 -- Commoner's Crown
(1975; Chrysalis 1071)

Little Sir Hugh Galtee Farmer *
Bach goes to Lmerick Demon Lover
Long Lankin Elf Call
Dogs and Ferrets * Weary Cutters *
New York Girls

###
SS-8 -- All Around My Hat
(1975; Chrysalis 1091)

Black Jack Davy The Wife of Usher's Well
Hard Times of Old England Sum Waves (Tunes)
Cadgwith Anthem Dance with Me
All Around My Hat Batchelor's Hall
Gamble Gold (Robin Hood)

###
SS-9 -- Rocket Cottage
(1976; Chrysalis 1123)

London Fighting for Strangers
The Bosnian Hornpipes Sligo Maid
Orfeo * / Nathan's Reel Sir James the Rose
The Twelve Witches The Drunkard
The Brown Girl

###
SS-10 -- Storm Force Ten
(1977; Chrysalis 1151)

Awake, Awake The Black Freighter
Sweep, Chimney Sweep Some Rival
The Wife of a Soldier Treadmill Song
The Victory Seventeen Come Sunday

###
SS-11 -- Live at Last
(1978; Chrysalis 1199)

The Atholl Highlander's / Montrose
/ Walter Bulwer's Polka The False Knight on the Road
Saucy Sailor/Black Freighter Rag Doll
The Maid and the Palmer
Hunting the Wren

###
SS-12 -- Sails of Silver
(1981; US: Takoma 7097; UK Chrysalis 1304)

Sails of Silver Where Are they Now
My Love Let Her go Down
Barnet Fair Longbone
Senior Services Marigold/Harvest Home
Gone to America Tell me Why (not the Beatles')

###
SS-13 -- On Tour
(1982; Chrysalis (Australia) L 37968)

Incomplete song list for this one, quoting Ken Josenhans:

The source for this is Down Home Music's 1984 catalog titled
"Folk Music of the British Isles, Ireland and Europe".
From the catalog: "Wonderful album recorded live in February
1982 at the Opera Theatre, Adelaide, Australia. The group are
in top form with spirited renditions of, mostly, songs
previously recorded in the studio. -- The King / Sails of
Silver / Let Her Go Down / Bach Goes to Limerick / I Have A
Wish / I Live Not Where I Love / Gaudete / Black Jack Davy /
Long Bone, etc."

###
SS-14 -- BACK IN LINE
(1986; Shanachie 79063 in US)

Edward Blackleg Miner (live)
Isabel White Man
Lady Diamond Lanercost
A Cannon (sic) by Telemann Scarecrow
Peace on the Border Take My Heart

Steeleye Collections with otherwise-unavailable material:

###
CO-1 -- A two-record collection known as ORIGINAL MASTERS in the UK
and THE STEELEYE SPAN STORY in the US, on Chrysalis. Both versions
contain "Bonny Moorhen", previously unreleased. I believe the song
order varies between the US and UK version. The UK version has a live
version of "The Wife of Ushers Well". Song list for the UK version,
from an LP inner-sleeve ad:
1: 3:
Sir James the Rose Cam Ye O'er Frae France
Black Jack Davy Bonny Moorhen
All Around My Hat Alison Gross
The Wife of Ushers Well (live) The Mooncoin Jig
Fighting for Strangers Drink Down the Moon

2: 4:
Thomas the Rhymer Skewball
Seven Hundred Elves Lovely on the Water
Long Lankin Jigs: The Bride's Favorite/Tansey's
Fancy
Elf Call One Misty Moisty Morning
Saucy Sailor
Gaudete

###
CO-2 -- Various artists, RAVE ON (1974; Mooncrest CREST 17)
(A real hodge-podge of stuff; I haven't listened to it in ages.)
Side One:
Steeleye Span / Rave On (A capella version of the Buddy Holly song,
otherwise unavailable
Tim Hart & Maddy Prior / The Ploughboy and the Cockney
TH & MP / Western Winds
Shirley Collins / Banks of the Bann
Steeleye Span / Cold Haily Windy Night
Shelagh McDonald / Let No Man Steal Your Thyme (Who is this person???)
Steeleye Span / Lovely on the Water

Side Two:
Shirley Collins / Just As The Tide Was Flowing
TH & MP / Cannily, Cannily
Martin Carthy / Matt Hyland
TH & MP / Of All the Birds
Martin Carthy and Dave Swarbrick / The Bank
Steeleye Span / Marrowbones

###
CO-3 -- RECOLLECTIONS (Chrysalis (Australia) L 37753)
From the Down Home catalog: "An exciting collection of 18 tracks
features unfamiliar and rare material - several tracks
only previously available on singles, special edited versions
of "Elf Call" and "Montrose" not issued elsewhere. verbal
Christmas greetings from the group, Maddy's recollections
on the origin of the group and a previously unissued bit of
foolishness that was recorded at one of their regular
sessions."

###
CO-4 -- Individually and Collectively
(No more info, sorry)
###
CO-5 -- The Steeleye Span Collection
(No more info, sorry)

Maddy Prior: In Duets, Solo, as Band Leader

###
MP-1 -- Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, FOLK SONGS OF OLDE ENGLAND volume 1
(1968 is the date on the label; Mooncrest CREST 23 is
probably a re-issue)

Lish Young Buy-A-Broom The Dalesman's Litany
Adieu Sweet Lovely Nancy The Brisk Butcher
Maid That's Deep In Love The Stately Southerner
The Rambling Sailor Who's The Fool Now
Bruton Town A Wager A Wager
Farewell Nancy Babes in the Wood
Adam and Eve
###
MP-2 -- Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, FOLK SONGS OF OLD ENGLAND volume II
(the label on my copy reads (P)1968 Teepee Musical Industries;
again, Mooncrest CREST 26 is probably a reissue)

My Son John Horn of the Hunter
Earl Richard Copshawholme Fair
Paddy Stole the Rope Oats and Beans and Barley Grows
The Gardener Fiddler's Green
The Bay of Biscay Captain Wedderburn's Courtship
Queen Eleanor's Confession Turkey Rhubarb
The Bold Fisherman

###
MP-3 -- Tim Hart and Maddy Prior, SUMMER SOLSTICE
(1971, Mooncrest CREST 12)

False Knight on the Road Sorry the Day I Was Married
Bring Us In Good Ale Dancing at Whitsun
Of All The Birds Fly Up My Cock
I Live Not Where I Love Cannily Cannily
The Ploughboy and the Cockney Adam Catched Eve
Westron Wynde Three Drunken Maidens
Serving Girl's Holiday

###
MP-4 -- Maddy Prior and June Tabor, SILLY SISTERS
[Musicians: Martin Carthy, Nic Jones, Tony Hall,
Andy Irvine, Johnny Moynihan, Gabriel McKeon,
Danny Thompson, John Gillaspie, Brian Golbey]

Doffin' Mistress The Grey Funnel line
Burning of Auchidoon Geordie
Lass of Loch Royal The Seven Wonders *
The Seven Joys of Mary * Four Loom Weaver
My Husband's got no Courage In Him The Game of Cards
Singing the Travels Dame Durdan
Silver Whistle

Quoting Ken Josenhans again:
(June Tabor has four solo albums out on Topic (Shanachie in
the US, I think); AIRS AND GRACES, ASHES AND DIAMONDS, A CUT
ABOVE, and ABYSSINIANS. Plus an EP of John Peel radio
sessions. She has not given up her mundane careers to pursue
a professional musician's life; for a long time she remained a
librarian, and according to Folk Roots is now a
restauranteur. Also according to Folk Roots, these days she
mostly works with Andrew Cronshaw.)

###
MP-5 -- Maddy Prior, WOMAN IN THE WINGS (1978, Chrysalis 1185)
(All songs written by Prior. Some contributions from Ian
Anderson and others in Jethro Tull. Quality control problems
start here, in my opinion, though this album is still nice.)
Woman in the Wings Deep Water
Cold Flame Long Shadows
Mother and Child I Told You So
Gutter Geese Rosettes
Rollercoaster Catseyes
Baggy Pants

###
MP-6 -- Maddy Prior, CHANGING WINDS (1978, Chrysalis 511203 (that's my
Holland issue. Both 5 & 6 were reissued on Takoma in the US.)
To Have And To Hold The Sovereign Prince
Pity the Poor Night Porter Ali Baba
Bloomers The Mountain
Accapella Stella In Fighting
Canals Another Drink

###
MP-7 -- Various artists, LOVELY IN THE DANCES: SONGS OF SYDNEY CARTER
(1981, Plant Life PLR 031. I don't know where else to put
this. Sydney Carter's songs are religious (Lord of the Dance
is the best known; that's here) and Prior gets four lead or
duet vocals on this set. John Kirkpatrick also gets four,
and other musicians include Robert Johnson, Peter Knight,
Rick Kemp and Nigel Pegrum. A wide variety of musical styles
here; this one I think is well worth checking out.
George Fox Lord of the Dance
Julian of Norwich The Cocks are Crowing
Carol of the Creatures John Ball
Holy Horses The First of My Lovers
Like the Snow Bitter Was the Night
Friday Morning Come, Love, Carolling
I Used to Dance
I Come Like a Beggar

###
MP-8 -- The Maddy Prior Band, HOOKED ON WINNING (1982, Plant Life PLR036
(UK). The band is Prior, Rick Kemp, Ritchie Close, Mick
Dyche and Gary Wilson. The band is not very good.
(Well, I guess I could admit to liking maybe half of this...)
Long Holiday Friends
Information Station Reduced Circumstances
Face to Face Nothing but the Best
Roll On The Day Love's Not Just A Word
Back Into Caberet Girls on the Town
Commit the Crime Anthem to Failure

###
MP-9 -- Maddy Prior and the Answers, GOING FOR GLORY (1983?, Spindrift
SPIN 104. I didn't buy this one, and Down Home doesn't give any
information about it. It's still in print, though.)

Doug.L...@sun.com || "I'll plow and sow and reap and mow, and
SUNW[STE]->SunPro:: || you shall sit and spin..." -- Steeleye Span,
Languages.IPE(C++); || not singing about bicycling

PET...@delphi.com

Jan 13, 1994, 2:27:11 AM1/13/94
Help!

I'm adding to this thread (perhaps in error) as:

A freind and his wife would love to perform "Gaudete" together. Does anyone have
the lyrics to this most haunting of Steeleye songs? Please?

E-mail at the address above or in this conference.

Thanks much in advance.

Pete.

Eric REISWIG

Jan 13, 1994, 3:16:03 PM1/13/94

Ok, here's what it's got on the LP i have of _Below_The_Salt_:
====================================
GAUDETE (From Piae Cantiones, 1582)

Gaudete, gaudete Christus est natus
Ex Maria virginae, gaudete.

Tempus ad est gratie hoc quod optabamus,
Carmina laetitae devote redamus.

Deus homo factus est naturam erante,
Mundus renovatus est a Christo regnante.

Ezecheelis porta clausa per transitor
Unde lux est orta sallus invenitor.

Ergo nostra contio psallat jam in lustro,
Benedicat domino sallus regi nostro.

Sorry, it's been too long since i've taken Latin; No idea what
any of it means. The song sure is pretty, though. :)

-><- eric.
-><- ha...@binkley.cs.mcgill.ca

Michael Robinson x6844

Jan 13, 1994, 1:18:12 PM1/13/94
Tim Engle (eng...@sage.cc.purdue.edu) wrote:
: I am a new member to the folk scene and recently requested bands to look

: for. Steeleye Span was one of them mentioned. I bought 'Hark! The
: Village Wait' and I love it. What other Steeleye Span albums are worth
: getting. Should I just buy them all?

I have all their albums, and the only one I thought was a total waste
of money was "Sails of Silver".

Michael Robinson

Ian Levstein

Jan 15, 1994, 12:02:24 PM1/15/94
h> Gaudete, gaudete Christus est natus
h> Ex Maria virginae, gaudete.

Rejoice, rejoice, Christ is born of the Virgin Mary, rejoice.

h> Sorry, it's been too long since i've taken Latin; No idea what
h> any of it means. The song sure is pretty, though. :)

That does it for my Latin!