Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan, Jackson Browne

Walter Hellman

Oct 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/14/95
I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic
(about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented
material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example
for me.
Anyway, all this brought back college memories of a very special
informal concert which was given in a dorm lounge at SUNY Stony Brook,
probably about 1968. This is where I was at school and they announced
somehow that 3 California singer-songwriters would be at the school and
playing in the dorm lounge. As I remember, there was very little
publicity because hardly anyone had ever heard of them.
It turns out they were Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and Jackson
Browne. The whole thing was totally informal. They just had a chair set
up amongst all the sofas, etc. I don't know if this was my introduction
to Buckley, but I know it was for Browne and Noonan.
I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song
called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
A couple of questions:

I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
music. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Was anyone on this list at that Stony Brook performance? Did the
three of them play elsewhere?

Walter Hellman

--
hel...@teleport.com Internet Public Access User Hillsboro, Oregon USA

Ton Maas

Oct 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/15/95
In article <45ovb6$c...@kelly.teleport.com>,
hel...@teleport.com (Walter Hellman) wrote:

> I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
>music. Does anyone know what happened to him?

I also happen to own and like that one Elektra album he made (AFAIK), so
I'll second the request for information about what happened to the guy.

Ton Maas, Amsterdam NL

Jeff Bernstein

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
There was an article in the January (I think) 1968 Cheetah magazine
entiled the Orange County 3 - Tim Buckly, Jackson Browne and Steve
Noonan. I wasn't at the Stony Brook concert, but sure wish I was!

Regards,
Jeff

On 14 Oct 1995, Walter Hellman wrote:

> I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
> Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic
> (about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
> of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented
> material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example
> for me.
> Anyway, all this brought back college memories of a very special
> informal concert which was given in a dorm lounge at SUNY Stony Brook,
> probably about 1968. This is where I was at school and they announced
> somehow that 3 California singer-songwriters would be at the school and
> playing in the dorm lounge. As I remember, there was very little
> publicity because hardly anyone had ever heard of them.
> It turns out they were Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and Jackson
> Browne. The whole thing was totally informal. They just had a chair set
> up amongst all the sofas, etc. I don't know if this was my introduction
> to Buckley, but I know it was for Browne and Noonan.
> I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
> that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song
> called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
> A couple of questions:
>

> I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
> music. Does anyone know what happened to him?

FizzTwo

Oct 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/23/95
I was the guy that booked that concert. (I was chairman of the Student
Activities Board at Stony Brook at the time and if I can peel away the
webs I think I remember seeing Jackson at a Velvet Underground show and
inviting him and his pals to come out to the school and play and hang
out.) I think Steve Noonan died soon after but I'm not 100% sure; I was
very stoned until 1969.

Howie Klein

jaysi...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2013, 9:10:30 PM6/15/13
Steve Noonan is alive and still lives in Orange County, CA.....check his Facebook page

Michael Black

Jun 22, 2013, 2:00:04 PM6/22/13
We're almost as distant from that post as that post was from when Tim
Buckley died.

DOn't dredge up old posts.

Michael

ppint. at pplay

Jun 30, 2013, 10:03:58 AM6/30/13
- hi; in article,
<alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
et...@ncf.ca "Michael Black" admonished:
> jaysi...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On October 14, 1995, Walter Hellman wrote:
>>> I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
>>> Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic
>>> (about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
>>> of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented
>>> material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example
>>> for me.
[]
>>> I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
>>> that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song
>>> called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
>>> A couple of questions:
>>> I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
>>> music. Does anyone know what happened to him?
>> Steve Noonan is alive and still lives in Orange County, CA.....check his
> Facebook page
>
>We're almost as distant from that post as that post was from when Tim
>Buckley died. DOn't dredge up old posts.

- leastways, not without present purpose & relevance...

- i heard nothing of tim buckley between the end of the
sixties, when a friend & his dad moved to california -
hi, cass, if you're reading newsgroups these days - and
took his records with him; he'd had tim buckley, so i
didn't need to get them for myself; and elektra lps were
expensive - when most pop lps were 32/6, they were 39/11!
i found "morning glory: the tim buckley anthology" and
bought it on the strength of those memories: it didn't
disappoint, and i've since picked up the goodbye & hello,
happy/sad, and tim buckley albums on cd, and am looking
out for any time the others come into view.
are there any people'd particularly recommend, and why -
or any you'd particularly warn to listen to before buying?

- love, a ppint. as's been slowly buying quite a lot of
little-remembered singer-songwriters' albums on cd
of late - phil ochs, gordon lightfoot, david ackles...
[drop the "v", and change the "f" to a "g", to email or cc.]
--
a superfluous upward key-change is the last resort of the incompetent composer
or producer of pop songs: the penultimate being the infliction of violins.

awin...@gmail.com

May 26, 2015, 1:24:35 AM5/26/15
Howie, Steve is alive and well and still in California. His career stalled after his Elektra album failed to sell. It was grossly overproduced with way too many strings and other gimmicks larded on top of his basically acoustic guitar singer-songwriter act. As you recall, my old band, the Soft White Underbelly, backed Noonan in the Stony Brook gym in '67 or '68. I understand you have become something of a rock empresario in the years since. Noonan is trying to make a comeback and if you are working for a major label you might want to seek him out. Andrew Winters

downwit...@gmail.com

May 3, 2020, 10:37:59 PM5/3/20
On Saturday, October 14, 1995 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Walter Hellman wrote:
> I was riding along yesterday listening to a tape I'd made from a
> Tim Buckely album I have..."Goodbye and Hello" was the song. This epic
> (about 10 minutes I think) is one of the best reflections giving a feel
> of the 60's I know. His was an amazing voice. His later jazz oriented
> material was also amazing..."Chase the Blues Away" being a prime example
> for me.
> Anyway, all this brought back college memories of a very special
> informal concert which was given in a dorm lounge at SUNY Stony Brook,
> probably about 1968. This is where I was at school and they announced
> somehow that 3 California singer-songwriters would be at the school and
> playing in the dorm lounge. As I remember, there was very little
> publicity because hardly anyone had ever heard of them.
> It turns out they were Tim Buckley, Steve Noonan and Jackson
> Browne. The whole thing was totally informal. They just had a chair set
> up amongst all the sofas, etc. I don't know if this was my introduction
> to Buckley, but I know it was for Browne and Noonan.
> I wish I could remember more about the concert itself. One thing
> that stuck out was that Buckley sung an (even then) old Johnny Cash song
> called Give My Love To Rose. I remember how odd that was.
> A couple of questions:
>
> I later got a Steve Noonan album and have always enjoyed that
> music. Does anyone know what happened to him?
>
> Was anyone on this list at that Stony Brook performance? Did the
> three of them play elsewhere?
>
> Walter Hellman
>
> --
> hel...@teleport.com Internet Public Access User Hillsboro, Oregon USA

yes, I met them at a Velvet Underground show at the Dom and brought them back to Stony Brook.

-Howie Klein

Andrew Winters

Dec 24, 2022, 5:35:48 PM12/24/22
They stayed at our house on Bennett's Road in Setauket and I was at that concert too. They were friends of John Wiesenthal who was one of our housemates. It was a house full of creativity, music, good vibes, not so good vibes, LSD, weed, hash, beer and you name it. I lived there starting around January or February 1967. Even though I was in high school, I still made the grade because I was a finger-picker and knew plenty. Anyway, it was out of this mad scene that the band that was first called the Soft White Underbelly, emerged. I played bass and I invited my high school best friend, Donald Roeser, to sit in at a night long jam session. We played songs by David Roter and we indulged in a lot of free-form improvisational music. The Underbelly moved to St. James and then to Great Neck. The band's name became the Stalk Forrest Group and, after the drummer hatched a plot to replace me with his brother, they used another name and achieved a modicum of success.