Jackie Munro and her sisters

Rich Holmes

Nov 29, 1994, 10:13:13 AM11/29/94
I need names of songs about women who dress up as men. Wait, don't
reply yet!

Specifically, I need songs in which a woman dresses as a man and joins
the Army or Navy to look for an absent lover.

No, not just because she wants to be in the Army or Navy. No, no
songs about a woman who dresses up as highwaymen to test her lover's
fidelity.

I know there's a bunch of them, but the only one I can come up with
specifically is "Jackie Munro".

Titles only should be sufficient, though if you have words and/or
recording information handy, I'd be happy to get them.

Thanks!

--
- Rich Holmes

Of course it's daft, it's traditional.
- Terry Pratchett

Dan Davidoff

Nov 29, 1994, 10:30:40 AM11/29/94
On _Good as I been to you_ Bob Dylan sings a song called
Canadee-i-o (sp.?) which fits this description.

Cheers,
Danny Kirk-Davidoff
davi...@sundog.mit.edu

-Watson,P.L.

Nov 29, 1994, 12:01:52 PM11/29/94
In article <RSHOLMES.94...@hydra.syr.EDU>,

Rich Holmes <rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU> wrote:
>I need names of songs about women who dress up as men. Wait, don't
>reply yet!
[specifics deleted]

I know I've heard a number of these type of songs,
women dressing as men in order to either be with a
loved one, or go in search of a loved one, or for
what ever reason (there is a Nick Jones song on
Penguin Eggs, called... Caledonia? where a woman
dresses like a man apparently just to go to
Caledonia.)

However,

There is quite a humorous parody of songs about
women dressing like men to go in search of their
loves on the February Tapes, by Gordon Bok and
others. I can't remember the name of the tune,
sorry. Something like All For the Love of Her
Willie-o.

Paul Watson, plwa...@att.com
AT&T - Bell Laboratories

JohnR46132

Nov 29, 1994, 2:50:18 PM11/29/94
In article <RSHOLMES.94...@hydra.syr.EDU>, rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU
(Rich Holmes) writes:

>I need names of songs about women who dress up as men. Wait, don't
reply yet!

>Specifically, I need songs in which a woman dresses as a man and joins
the Army or Navy to look for an absent lover.

==

Try "The Banks of the Nile" which comes from the time of Lord Nelson.

Majjick

Nov 29, 1994, 6:50:12 PM11/29/94
(Rich Holmes) writes:

> I need names of songs about women who dress up as men.
> Wait, don't reply yet!

Good grief, there's masses of them! off the top of my head (sample
recordings in parens):

Canadee-i-o (Nic Jones, Penguin Eggs)
William Taylor (Patrick Street, No. 2)

e-mail me if you want more

Holly Tannen

Nov 30, 1994, 12:13:40 AM11/30/94

> In article <RSHOLMES.94...@hydra.syr.EDU>, rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU
> (Rich Holmes) writes:
>
> > I need names of songs about women who dress up as men.

Check out "Warrior Women and Popular Balladry, 1650-1850" by Dianne Dugaw.
(Cambridge U Press, 1989) Dianne has delivered papers to the American
Folklore Society on ballads about women dressing up as men, and she sings
a lot of them, too.
Off the top of my head, there's "The Handsome Cabin Boy," "The Female
Ramblin' Sailor," "Short Jacket and White Trousers," "Sovay," "Famous
Flower of Serving Men" (aka "Border Widow's Lament");"When I Was A Fair
Maid" ( done by the Bothy Band) which is an Irish version of "The Femnale
Drummer," done by Steeleye Span and by the Watersons.

From the Depths of Mendonesia's Primeval Pygmy Forest
Holly Tannen
Mistress of Folklore
And Her Entities from the Half-Astral Plane
"Let them go up upon themselves if they do not see the humour in it."
-Seamus O'Blivious, Archdruid

Gary Martin

Nov 30, 1994, 9:10:58 AM11/30/94
In article <D01Gn...@ssbunews.ih.att.com> plwa...@usgp3.ih.att.com (-Watson,P.L.) writes:
Rich Holmes <rsho...@hydra.syr.EDU> wrote:
>I need names of songs about women who dress up as men. Wait, don't
>reply yet!
[specifics deleted]

There is quite a humorous parody of songs about

women dressing like men to go in search of their
loves on the February Tapes, by Gordon Bok and
others. I can't remember the name of the tune,
sorry. Something like All For the Love of Her
Willie-o.

Written by Steven Sellors, called "Willie-o", also recorded
by Cindy Mangsen on _Settle Down_.

Some others with that theme:
"Lisbon" (rec. by Mangsen, also on _Settle Down_)
"Billy Taylor" (rec. by Cilla Fisher & Artie Trezise on _For Foul
Day and Fair_)
"The Female Rambling Sailor" (rec. by Ian Robb on _Rose & Crown_,
and by the Rude Girls on _Rude Awakening_)
"Handsome Cabin Boy" (rec. by Ewan MacColl on _Off To Sea Once More,
vol. 2_) - though I don't recall if the reason she goes to sea
is made clear in the text

--
Gary A. Martin, Assistant Professor of Mathematics, UMass Dartmouth
Mar...@cis.umassd.edu

Abby Sale

Nov 30, 1994, 2:00:00 AM11/30/94
On 29 Nov 94 10:13, Rich Holmes said:

RH> Specifically, I need songs in which a woman dresses as a man and joins
RH> the Army or Navy to look for an absent lover.

"Jack Munroe" is sometimes a generic title, as is "The Female Sailor"

(Avoiding "The Female Cabin-Boy" series as not usually having a lover)

Specifically, in addition to those, I see "Canadee-I-O"'s been
mentioned, but add its cousins, "Caledonia" (one of them, not all of
them) and "Caledon-i-o,"

Also "Short Jacket and White Trousers" and "Billy Taylor"

--
|Fidonet: Abby Sale 1:363/137
|Internet: Abby...@animece.oau.org

griffin kevin

Dec 4, 1994, 2:15:34 PM12/4/94
A song you might be interested in is called "Jack-a-Roe" or "Jackaro". It's
about the daughter of a wealthy English merchant who falls for a sailor named
Jack Frasier. When he is called off to the wars, she dresses as a man and
boards a ship to find him on the battlefields of Europe. When the captain of
the ship she boards comments that she does not appear exactly masculine, she
replies,
I know my waist is slender, and my fingers may be small
But it would not change my countenance to see ten thousand fall
Oh, to see ten thousand fall.
It's a very cool song, and has been covered by Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan on his
latest album and even the Grateful Dead, among other people.
Sincerely,
Kevin Griffin

Gary Martin

Dec 5, 1994, 9:21:54 AM12/5/94

Before this thread dies away, I want to mention a contemporary
song that I heard Mike Agranoff sing in a hallway at NEFFA
last April. It was a cross between a female sailor song and
a broken token song. I don't remember the details, but the
disguised gender(s?) of the characters make the recogition
scene more complicated than usual. And, as I recall, the token
is a NYC subway token. Anybody know this song?

Susan Bulla

Dec 8, 1994, 8:18:00 PM12/8/94

R > specifically is "Jackie Munro".

The one popular from my college days was "The Cruel War."

* JABBER v1.2 * Death is just Nature's way of dropping carrier.

sft...@garnet.berkeley.edu

Dec 15, 1994, 3:33:05 AM12/15/94
Two suggestions:

Pentangle recorded a song (sorry, I don't know the album
or exact title offhand) that starts:

I am a maid that's deep in love
But yet I can complain
I have in this world but one true love
And Jimmy is his name
And if I cannot find my love
I'll mourn most constantly
I'll find and follow Jimmy to
The land of liberty.

This is sung to a tune also used for "The Handsome Cabin Boy;"
it's about a woman whose lover has travelled across the sea --
she takes service on a ship going across the sea; the captain is
disappointed she's a boy; when she reaches the shore she reveals
her identity and goes to search for her lover, despite the captain's
plea that she stay and marry him.

Annie Lore recorded a song on her album "The Grey Cocked Hat"
called "How to Gain a Husband." Highly recommended --very funny.
More details would spoil the song!

--Sarah Taub