folk music, England and Scotland

Steve Pope

Apr 23, 1991, 6:45:24 PM4/23/91
Greetings,

I will have the good fortune to be traveling in England and
Scotland during the latter part of May and early June. If
anybody knows of any festivals, performances, concerts, or other
events of interest that would be happening in this general area
during that span of time, I'd much appreciate hearing about them.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

s...@berkeley.edu
...ucbvax!spp

Craig Cockburn

Apr 24, 1991, 5:26:32 AM4/24/91
In article <12...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, s...@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope) writes:
|>From: s...@zabriskie.berkeley.edu (Steve Pope)
|>Newsgroups: rec.music.folk
|>Subject: folk music, England and Scotland

|>Greetings,
|>
|>I will have the good fortune to be traveling in England and
|>Scotland during the latter part of May and early June. If
|>anybody knows of any festivals, performances, concerts, or other
|>events of interest that would be happening in this general area
|>during that span of time, I'd much appreciate hearing about them.

The EFDSS (English Folk & Dance Society ?) publish a book which covers
events in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (why don't they change their
name???). The book is #4.95 plus #1 for P&P.

The address of the EFDSS is:

Cecil Sharp House
2 Regents Park Road
London
NW1 7AY

Tel: 071 284 0534, international +44 71 284 0534

I have a list of various events in Scotland which is available from the
Scottish tourist board (address below)

Events on in your time period include:

18 May: Royal Scottish pipeband championship
24 May - 8 June: Feis Ile (Islay festival)
26 May: Atholl Gathering and Highland Games
31 May - 9 Jun: Robert Burns and Ayrshire Arts festival
1 Jun: Glenmorangie Canamachd Shinty cup final
3 - 9 Jun: Arran festival of folk
9 Jun: World Highland Games championship (Glasgow)
9-15 Jun: Guid Nychburris week (Dumfries)
15-22 Jun: Skye week

You could try contacting the Scottish tourist board at:

Scottish Travel Centre
14 South St Andrew Street
Edinburgh
EH2

Tel: 031-557 5522

Craig Cockburn, Digital Equipment Co. Ltd, Reading, England.

ARPAnet: cock...@system.enet.dec.com
UUCP:..!decwrl!system.enet.dec.com!cockburn

{ Airson Alba Ur }

Views expressed here are my own, and do not necessarily
reflect those of Digital.

Al Stavely

Apr 24, 1991, 12:14:29 PM4/24/91
In article <1991Apr24.0...@hollie.rdg.dec.com> cock...@system.enet.dec.com writes:

>The EFDSS (English Folk & Dance Society ?) publish a book which covers
>events in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (why don't they change their
>name???). The book is #4.95 plus #1 for P&P.
>
>The address of the EFDSS is:
>
>Cecil Sharp House
>2 Regents Park Road
>London
>NW1 7AY

Are the EFDSS and C# House still operating? I have been hearing rumors
of the demise of the EFDSS for some time, and when I visited C# House
in July of 1989 it looked like nothing was happening there.

--

- Allan Stavely, New Mexico Tech, USA

Craig Cockburn

Apr 25, 1991, 5:54:54 AM4/25/91
In article <1991Apr24.1...@nmt.edu>, a...@nmt.edu (Al Stavely) writes:
|>From: a...@nmt.edu (Al Stavely)
|>Newsgroups: rec.music.folk
|>Subject: Re: folk music, England and Scotland

I assume they must be, I got that info from them only a week or so ago.

James P. H. Fuller

Apr 26, 1991, 8:54:28 AM4/26/91
cock...@system.enet.dec.com (Craig Cockburn) writes:

> The EFDSS (English Folk & Dance Society ?) publish a book which covers
> events in England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland (why don't they change their
> name???). The book is #4.95 plus #1 for P&P.

English Folk Dance and Song Society -- so called because that name
reflected the order of their interests when the group was named. They don't
change it either because it *still* reflects the order of their interests
or possibly for the same reason that England still has officials called
Bluemantle, Rouge Dragon, and Clarenceux King of Arms South of Trent floating
about.

------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------
crom2 Athens GA Public Access Unix | i486 AT, 16mb RAM, 600mb online
| AT&T Unix System V release 3.2
Molecular Biology | Tbit PEP 19200bps V.32 V.42/V.42bis
Population Biology |
Ecological Modeling | Admin: James P. H. Fuller
Bionet/Usenet/cnews/nn | {jim,root}%cr...@nstar.rn.com

Henry Troup

Apr 30, 1991, 9:30:57 AM4/30/91
In article <1991Apr26....@crom2.uucp>, j...@crom2.uucp (James P.
H. Fuller) writes:

|>Bluemantle, Rouge Dragon, and Clarenceux King of Arms South of Trent floating

Now, now. Bluemantle and Rouge Dragon are Pursuivants, while Clarenceux
is a King of Arms. This is an important distinction :-)

A sometime Herald and still Pursuivant of the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Henry Troup - H...@BNR.CA (Canada) - BNR owns but does not share my opinions