Songs about Reagan

bdi...@nospamvbimail.champlain.edu

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
that mention him.
THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Thanks,
Bob

remove NOSPAM to reply.

Michael O'Leary

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
The Austin Lounge Lizards have a song called "The Ballad of Ronald Reagan"
on the CD "Highway Cafe of the Damned"

bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in message
<35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...

Jonathan Dresner

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
>bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in message
><35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
>>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president)

Tom Paxton has several, of course, including "Little Bitty Gun."
"Government on Horseback," by Charlie King, I think.

Jonathan

k...@ma.ultranet.com

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Try getting in contact with Tom Paxton. In all likeliness he has soem regan
songs somewhere

http://www.ultranet.com/~koro/kate.htm

Mike Painter

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
I think I used to know some but I forgot and can't remember what I was doing
when I forgot them.
Someone should write a song about the "Can you remember what you were doing"
phrase.
It worked both times. Once when he was being tried on a criminal charge in
his early days.>Hi,

>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>that mention him.
>THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

James W. Barrett

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

-- The Capitol Steps <http://www.capsteps.com/> have quite a few on
their
albums from the Reagan years.

James Barrett *
Physics & Astronomy Dept. * Nothing is more annoying than to feel that
State Univ. of New York * you're not equal to the intellectual
pressure
Stony Brook, NY * of the conversation. - W.S. Gilbert
11794-3800 *

MIKE REGENSTREIF

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
>>>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president)
>
>Tom Paxton has several, of course, including "Little Bitty Gun."
>"Government on Horseback," by Charlie King, I think.
>
> Jonathan

"Little Bitty Gun" by Tom Paxton is more accurately a song about
Nancy Reagan.

MR

Ada M. Prill

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
to bdi...@vbimail.champlain.edu
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>

> remove NOSPAM to reply.

Sis Cunningham has written several, including the title song of her "Ain't
it Time We Got Mad!," and "Flub-Dubbery" (actually mostly about Nancy
Reagan) and "They Have Naught to Say (The HUD Song)" from "Red Dust and
Broadsides." "Flub-Dubbery" was written with her late husband Gordon
Friesen.

Ada

r...@wing-1374.net

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 10:41:57 -0700, bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu
wrote:

>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>that mention him.
>THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Jack Hardy's "The Circus" was inspired by the Reagan inauguration
(1981). This song is available on _White Shoes_ which is part of a
5-CD boxed set of Hardy's albums recently re-released by Prime CD
(www.primecd.com).

Loudon Wainwright III did a "talkin' blues" song about Reagan on BBC
television in January 1987, but unfortunately it's not on any album.

Ron
For e-mail replies, please remove "-1374" from "From" address.

Mary Creasey

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> Hi,

> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> remove NOSPAM to reply.

Paul Willett (Los Angeles area filker) wrote "Ronald-Reagan-Carl-Sagan-
San-Diegan-Pagan" about a college applicant with a really WEIRD
religion...[ttto "Richter Scale" by J. Kent Clark]...it appeared on
one convention album [_Bayfilk Crazies_ LONG OOP].

Mary the Filker

Mary the Filker

Lewis Crow

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
>> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>> that mention him.
>> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Big Country did a song called "Flame of the West" on their 1984 disc
"Steeltown."

Andrew A. Alexis

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
wrote:

>Hi,

>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>that mention him.
>THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Jerry and Bev Praver, who might well be lurking out there, wrote a
version of "This Old Man" about Ron:
"This old man he played one
he cut back in washington"

The other verses I remember:
"This old man...he played five
Student loans did not survive"

Pete Seeger did this song too. I think it was published in Faith
Petric's column in Sing Out! at one point.

I believe Jerry and Bev now live in Carpenteria, California.
Andy Alexis
Sacramento, CA. "The Pearl of the Central Valley"
nd...@no-spam.calweb.com
You know what to do...

Elizabeth A Blake

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>that mention him.
>THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

This one certainly isn't folk: "Bonzo Goes To Bitburg" by The Ramones.

Liz

Jay Karamales

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
In one of his hits from the 80s--I forget which one at the moment--Don
Henley had a line that referred to "this tired old man who we elected
king," which I always took to mean Mr. Reagan.

Jay Karamales
Chief Cartographer
Olórin Press
----------------------------- ** -----------------------------
The first thing to understand is that taxation is just taking
money from people by force or the threat of force.
--David Kelley
------------------------------ ** ----------------------------

Jim Capaldi

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
Pete Seeger used to do a parody of "This Old Man." He only did it in
concert, not on a recording.

"This old man, he play one,
He cut back in Washington.
With a knick-nack, paddy-whack
Give the dog a bone,
This old man should go back home!"

Unfortunately, I can't recall all the verses, but here are the ones I do:

"...three,
He cut Social Security. . .

"...five,
Student loans did not survive. . .

"...six,
He was better in the flicks. . .

"...seven,
Now big business is in heaven. . .

"...eight,
He helped Nancy decorate. . .

"...nine,
B-1 bombers all in line. . .

"...ten,
Let's go back and vote again. . .

Peter Cassidy

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

:
: bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in message

: <35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
: >I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president)

"Casey" by Christy Moore. A song about Bishop Eamonn Casey and his
atrocious driving skills.

"When Ronnie Reagan came to visit,
All the wankers made a great furore.
Casey remembered Archbishop Romero,
Said he'd even up the score.

Casey, Casey said "God willing",
"I'll meet Reagan on the road.
Niall O'Brien will hear his confession.
When I've taught him the Green Cross Code"

.... and so on

Pete C
--
| Peter Cassidy - Sacramento, CA, USA | Si/ na Samhna, |
| pcas...@iol.ie - http://www.iol.ie/~pcassidy | Tu/s na Bliain U/r. |

Max Wallace

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

(bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu) writes:
> Hi,

> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

The best I ever heard was at the 15th anniversary of the Martin Luther
King March on Washington where Pete Seeger sang his own Reagan-bashing
version of "This Old Man".

Andrew Norton

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Figures that a no-talent leftist like Seeger would trash one of the
greatest Americans ever to grace the White House.

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:10:42 -0400, "Jim Capaldi" <JimCa...@csi.com>

Paul

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in article
<35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

Someone at the original Woodstock festival -- I think it was Country Joe
and the Fish -- did a song called Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man. The band
dedicated it to "Ronald Ray-GUNS"; I don't recall whether it was actually
about him.

--
Paul

(Remove NOSPAM from e-mail address to reply)

Gerry Myerson

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <6torev$hrs$1...@news.fas.harvard.edu>,
jdre...@login4.fas.harvard.edu (Jonathan Dresner) wrote:

> "Government on Horseback," by Charlie King, I think.

This was recorded on a John McCutcheon - Si Kahn album.

In 1964, Tom Lehrer wrote a song about George Murphy --- remember George
Murphy? --- where the introduction went,

Hollywood's often tried to mix
Show business with politics
From Helen Gahagan [apologies if I spelled that wrong]
To ... Ronald Reagan?

I've tried to indicate the incredulous tone in Lehrer's voice as he tried
to cope with the idea that anyone could actually vote for RR. The last
laugh was, of course, on Lehrer.

Gerry Myerson (ge...@mpce.mq.edu.au)

Joe Kesselman, yclept Keshlam

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Nobody but a filker will know either this song or the one it
was based on, but there's a Reaganesque parody of Julia
Ecklar's song "The Hand of God".

We're all in the hands now of Ron
The Gipper is with us today
We know he won't phone for the bomb
His jelly-bean jar's in the way...

Joe Kesselman, http://www.lovesong.com/people/keshlam/
New URL for Walkabout Clearwater Coffeehouse and Chorus:
http://www.lovesong.com/walkabout/
Coming October 13th: NYC Labor Chorus with Peter Yarrow!

MIKE REGENSTREIF

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <01bde1df$ed9714e0$d843d6d1@paul>, "Paul" <pkNOSPA...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in article
><35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>> that mention him.
>> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>>

>Someone at the original Woodstock festival -- I think it was Country Joe
>and the Fish -- did a song called Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man. The band
>dedicated it to "Ronald Ray-GUNS"; I don't recall whether it was actually
>about him.

Roger McGuinn sometimes posts in this newsgroup. Since he and Gene
Parsons wrote the song, I'm sure he could pronounce on whether it was actually
about Reagan.

It was performed at Woodstock by Joan Baez and Jeff Shurtleff.

MR

Jonathan Dresner

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <6tpn1d$3...@freenet-news.carleton.ca>,
Max Wallace <ae...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

> (bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu) writes:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>> that mention him.
>> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Bob

The first mention of Ronald Reagan in Song has to belong to Tom Lehrer, in
his song "George Murphy."

Gil Scott-Heron has a few, according to my highly knowledgeable wife:

"B Movie" (written after the first election)
"Re-Ron" (written during the second campaign)

Dave Lipman has one as well, the title of which escapes us, but which
goes: "I'm not asking for that much / just a president who tries to keep
in touch / Ronnie come let's face it / no smile can erase it / as we go
sinking deeper into dutch."

And yes, "Little Bitty Gun" is written in Nancy Reagan's voice, but it's
primarily about Reagan's policies, IMO....

Kristen Lems, "Theocracy" is a bit oblique as well, but refers to the era.

"Here's to the World of Ronald Reagan" (Yes, based on the immortal Phil
Ochs' ode to Mississippi) by Lauri Marks (on the Swords Into Plowshares
album which also has Pete Seeger's song "This Old Man", and "Government
On Horseback," by Si Kahn)

Romanovsky and Philips' song "Don't Use Your Penis For A Brain" has a
Reagan Verse.

Jonathan

JesiAna

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

I wracked my brain and finally rememberd that the Mitchell Trio recorded a song
about Reagan. I looked through my album collection (all original lps) and found
the song "What This Country Really Needs is Another Movie Star" on their
"Alive" album (with John Denver, not Chad Mitchell). It is definitely about
Reagan! The writer is June Reizner.

Jesiana

"If you can walk, you can dance. If you can talk, you can sing."

Jim Alexander

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
"The Fletcher Memorial Home" by Pink Floyd from The Final Cut makes a
reference to Reagan.Also several mentions of dear old Maggie Thatcher!
Brilliant album by the way!

Jim Alexander

H Gilmer

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
Andrew Norton (ano...@his.com) wrote:
: Figures that a no-talent leftist like Seeger would trash one of the

: greatest Americans ever to grace the White House.

To think there are those who feel satire is dead!

Hg

Stephen Suffet

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
to ano...@his.com
Andrew Norton wrote:

> Figures that a no-talent leftist like Seeger would trash one of the
> greatest Americans ever to grace the White House.

Greetings:

Ah, and I remember when the words "no-talent leftist" were used
to describe Ronald Reagan! Do I date myself? :-)

Footnote to those who still believe Red Ronnie was merely a third
rate Hollywood hack: He pulled off one of the finest acting jobs in
history he did it nearly flawlessly, and it lasted eight years -- from
January 20, 1981, to January 20, 1989. He should be awarded a Special
Oscar, Emmy, and Tony for that role! :-)

On the other hand, maybe Reagan was a shrewd and clever Communist
agent who was recruited back in his younger leftist days and who only
pretended to shift his political beliefs to the right? How else can
one explain why he consistently undermined the democratic opposition
in Nicaragua by funding and arming the most discredited elements among
the Contras? This Moscow-directed strategy didn't work, and Violeta
Chamorro defeated Daniel Ortega in the 1988 election anyway. Maybe
ex-CIA director Vice President George Bush was aware of his boss's
Kremlin ties, and did his best to undo whatever damage Ronnie was
inflicting on American foreign policy. Of course George couldn't tip
his hand for fear of a national Constitutional crisis, so he had to
let Reagan's campaign of domestic disinformation -- e.g. describing
ketchup as a vegetable -- go forward unchecked. :-)

Regards,
Steve

LT Silverman

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <19980917000157...@ng146.aol.com> JesiAna,
jes...@aol.com writes:
>From: JesiAna, jes...@aol.com
>Date: 17 Sep 1998 04:01:56 GMT

>I wracked my brain and finally rememberd that the Mitchell Trio recorded a song
>about Reagan. I looked through my album collection (all original lps) and found
>the song "What This Country Really Needs is Another Movie Star" on their
>"Alive" album (with John Denver, not Chad Mitchell). It is definitely about
>Reagan! The writer is June Reizner.

On the Mitchell Trio's Reunion Album, they sang a update of "Barry's Boys"
called "Ronnie's Boys" aboaut the conservative bent of the then administration.

Some snips from memory!

"We're the new kind of youth
To be social without security--
w're Ronnie's Boys...."
"For his hat's in the ring
Where William Buckley once was king...
Now he's too left wing.
So go back to days when men were men
And start the Viet Nam war all over again.
That's right right you have it son
Isolationism can be fun...
Back to Ronnie's boys."

"I'm an American first--a politican second"
"Spoken like a true American politican!"

LTS

Jim Thomson

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
I was in Pittsburgh for St Patricks day in 1991. I saw a local performer
named Anne Feeney. She was doing a bunch of Irish songs, mostly
traditional, one of which was a protest song written by an Irish song writer
for Regans famous visit. Only part of the song I really remember is part
of chorus that went
Hey Ronnie Regan
I'm Black and I'm Pagan

Maybe somebody else can supply more details

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>that mention him.
>THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
>Thanks,
>Bob
>

>remove NOSPAM to reply.

James W. Barrett

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
-- Years ago, on a satirical BBC program(me) - probably "Not the
9 O'clock News" - the cast did a CW song which listed all the
impossible things they could believe, and ended with, "But I
can't believe that Reagan's president." As I recall, one of
the singers was Rowan (Mr. Bean, Blackadder) Atkinson.

James Barrett *
Physics & Astronomy Dept. * Nothing is more annoying than to feel that
State Univ. of New York * you're not equal to the intellectual

Stony Brook, NY * pressure of the conversation.
11794-3800 * -W.S. Gilbert

traig scott foltz

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
In article <35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>,
bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob
>
> remove NOSPAM to reply.

check out BLACK GRAPE'S"GET HIGHER" wonderful reagan like samples,

JELLO BIAFRA -"no more cocoons" great spoken word on the subject of
"grandpa caligula" mr. reagan.

John Lupton

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> > that mention him.
> > THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
> >

> Someone at the original Woodstock festival -- I think it was Country Joe
> and the Fish -- did a song called Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man. The band
> dedicated it to "Ronald Ray-GUNS"; I don't recall whether it was actually
> about him.

The dedication and singing at Woodstock of "Drug Store Truck Driving
Man" was to "Ronald Ray-Gun-ZAP" by Joan Baez and Jeffrey Shurtleff, but
my recollection is that the song was actually written by Gram Parsons
about longtime WSM country music DJ Ralph Emery ("He's been like a
father to me, he's the only DJ you can hear after three"). Emery has
long been famous for not being quite all there, and a famous story
regarding that occurred years later when Parsons' friend and bandmate
Chris Hillman was appearing on Emery's TNN talk/music show. They got to
talking about the days of the Byrds and Burritos et al, and Emery says
to Hillman, "So, how's Gram these days?", to which Hillman deadpans
"He's still dead, Ralph..." I also heard Ricky Skaggs tell on stage once
of Emery interviewing the Sweethearts of the Rodeo on his show and
aksing them how they met, to which Janis Gill replied, "We're sisters,
Ralph..."

--
John Lupton
SAS Network Services, Univ. of Pennsylvania

John Lupton

Sep 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/17/98

George Bame

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan...

One of my favorites is by (no surprise) Tom Paxton. After Reagan
implemented drug testing for federal employees, Paxton wrote a jewel
called "We're Filling a Bottle for Ronnie". It's on his "Politics,
Live" CD.//GB
--
George Bame
Norfolk, VA

Abby Sale

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
On 17 Sep 1998 10:52:11 GMT, Stephen Suffet <Suf...@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

> On the other hand, maybe Reagan was a shrewd and clever Communist
>agent who was recruited back in his younger leftist days and who only
>pretended to shift his political beliefs to the right? How else can

I am absolutely sure this is correct. How else to explain the sudden
shift? Your cited examples are proof enough but I'd add the brilliant
institution of "Reaganomics." It must be thought of as a staggeringly
successfull achievement! Convincing a very large number of Americans
that we could Lower taxes, increase military (& therefore overall)
spending, and all the poor would thus improve their standard of living
through the "trickle-down effect." I just _love_ that "trickle-down
effect." I use it to explain why my customers are actually better off
when we raise prices. In the long run, they benefit by paying more!

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---
I am Abby Sale - abby...@orlinter.com (That's in Orlando)

John Lupton

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
Paul (pkNOSPA...@bellsouth.net) wrote:

: >
: > I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or

: > that mention him.
: > THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
: >

: Someone at the original Woodstock festival -- I think it was Country Joe
: and the Fish -- did a song called Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man. The band
: dedicated it to "Ronald Ray-GUNS"; I don't recall whether it was actually
: about him.

It was Joan Baez and Jeffrey Shurtleff who performed "Drug Store Truck
Drivin' Man" at Woodstock, and it was Shurtleff who introduced and
dedicated the song to "Ronald Ray-gun-ZAP". If memory serves, though, the
song was written by the late Gram Parsons about longtime country music
disc jockey Ralph Emery, who was on Nashville's clear-channel WSM for
many years ("He's been like a father to me, he's the only DJ you can hear
after three"). Emery was very critical of the Byrds, Burrito Brosthers,
and all the other early "country rock" bands. In later years, Emery had a
Carson-style talk show on TNN that ran through most of the 80s and into
the 90s, and he still does occasional shows on TNN. Ralph Emery has
earned a reputation for not always knowing a whole lot about the
people he talked to and about on TV, and there's a famous story about Emery
that is supposedly true and documented on videotape, concerning the night a
few years back when Chris Hillman appeared on Emery's TNN show, and they got
to talking about the so-called "good old days". Emery casually asked
Hillman, "So, what's Gram up to these days?", and Hillman's nationally
broadcast deadpan reply was "He's still dead, Ralph."

I also once heard Ricky Skaggs on stage refer to the night when Emery was
interviewing the Sweethearts Of The Rodeo (Kristine Arnold and Janis
Gill, who until the last year or so was married to country star Vince
Gill). At some point in the conversation, Emery asks, "So, how did you
two meet?". Janis Gill's stunned, yet bemused reply was, "Umm, we're
sisters, Ralph." <g>

Eric Kierce

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
I was gonna talk about that one . . . .actually it was Joan Baez and a male
friend ( I forget who, but it wasn't Country Joe) . .. I'll have to try and
track it down. . . I actually have the tab for it somewhere too.

Eric

Paul wrote in message <01bde1df$ed9714e0$d843d6d1@paul>...

>bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in article
><35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>> that mention him.
>> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>>

>Someone at the original Woodstock festival -- I think it was Country Joe
>and the Fish -- did a song called Drugstore Truck Drivin' Man. The band
>dedicated it to "Ronald Ray-GUNS"; I don't recall whether it was actually
>about him.

Joan Manners

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote:

> I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> that mention him.
> THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.

I found this list of songs by searching through Jeff Morris' wonderful
Doctor Demento Webpage:

1. Reaganomics - Rich Little
2. I Believe - Not The 9 O'Clock News
3. Mr. Bill - Rich Little w/ Walter Williams
4. The Ronnie Reagan Rag - Dale Gonyea
5. Integration - Rich Little w/ Zacherle, Vaughn Meader, etc.
6. Ronnie's Song - Lax
7. Ronnie Reaganomics Supply-Side Economics Blues - Frank X. Locanto
8. Ronald Reagan Talks About The Gipper - Ronald Reagan
9. Take This Job And Shove It - Kevin Matthews [imitating Ronald Reagan]
10. The Shaft Theatre:"The Flackman and Reagan" - Stan Freberg
11. Hey Reagan - Firesign Theatre
12. Mr. Reagan's Neighborhood - National Lampoon
13. Ronald Reagan Speaks For Himself - edited by Doug Kahn
14. Ronnie, Talk to Russia - Prince
15. Rappin' with Ronnie - The American Comedy Network
16. Rap Master Ronnie - Reathel Bean & the Doonesbury Break Crew
17. (Ronnie's Hair) - The Filibusters
18. Ronnie's Joke from 1984
19. The World Is Mine - Wally Wingert & the Amazing Skippy
20. Ronnie's Rap - Ron & the D.C. Crew
21. (Have You Got Any Pot) - Bobby Craig
22. The Gippergate Blues - Barbara Dane
23. I Forget - Maxwell in the Morning
24. Contra Rap - Rich Little

I'm not sure if all of the above titles are actual songs. Some may be
comedy routines. I hope that some of this is helpful.

If you'd like to search through Jeff's Webpage yourself, the address is:
http://php.indiana.edu/~jbmorris/

Joan M.

Eirik Sunde

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

> : bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in article
> : <35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
> : > Hi,
> : >
> : > I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
> : > that mention him.
> :

Violent Femmes, "Old Mother Reagan" from the LP "The Blind Leading The Naked",
and a song by a guy called something like Carmen DeForrest, with a song about
Reagen, John Hinckley, Jim ??, Adolf Hitler & Judas.

Richard L. Hess

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
I've been following this thread and forgot that Nancy White had some
material...

On "Pumping Irony" - 1993
CD/Cassette (Mouton Records/CBC:
UPC code: 59582 70022)
"Geezers In Love"

Brian Mulroney and Ronald Regan on rocking chairs mis-remembering!

On "Unimpeachable" - 1987
Cassette only Mouton C5
"Reagan's Rhumba"

"I want to see the President's intestine on TV"

On "The Sunday Morning Tapes" - 1984
Cassette only Mouton C4
"Nancy and Ronnie in China"

Cynical - "choose your commie friends with care - chose those with
bucks to spare"

More info on my web site for Nancy White.

http://rlhess.home.mindspring.com/music/nw__200.htm

Enjoy!

Richard L. Hess rlh...@mindspring.com
Glendale, CA USA http://rlhess.home.mindspring.com/
Web page for folk and church music, photography, and satellite navigation

Roy G. Berkeley

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98

If Stephen Suffet is right, and Abby Sale is right about his being right
(and I am sure that they are right about everything)and Reagan _was_
a Communist agent, recruited to penetrate the rightwing/reactionary
establishment, then these two very wise fellows are missing a subtle --
but very important point about Reagan. Since his greatest achievement
was to topple almost all the communist dictatorships worldwide, leaving
only Cuba and North Korea, he must have been not a closet Stalinist, but
a closet _Trotskyist_! (Only problem with that thesis is that
Trotskyists only supported regimes that murdered Trotskyists, which is a
pretty succinct definition of the dictatorships that made up the Soviet
Bloc and China, Albania, North Korea and the rest. Back to the drawing
board...:->)
Roy Berkeley

Royce Lerwick

Sep 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/19/98
wrote:

>Pete Seeger used to do a parody of "This Old Man." He only did it in
>concert, not on a recording.
>
>"This old man, he play one,
>He cut back in Washington.
>With a knick-nack, paddy-whack
>Give the dog a bone,
>This old man should go back home!"

Oh yes, long for the days when hip young liberals could impress thier
friends and piss off their elders by bitching about real causes like
Viet Nam and Civil Rights, inbetween cashing in on "Puff the Magic
Dragon," instead of snivelling about some pleasant old character who's
biggest crime was he left the labor movement and became a Republican.

Royce

Joe Kesselman, yclept Keshlam

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98
It's not a song, but I believe Rare Air has a tune entitled "Ronnie On TV".

(I'd _love_ to hear a collaboration between Rare Air and the Flecktones...)

Philip Whittaker

Sep 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/20/98

Can anyone identify a Christy Moore song in which ( in a dream or fantasy
perhaps ) Christy says to Regan who is visiting Ireland thanks but no
thanks for your offer of nuclear weapons?.

I can recall the last line is;
"We don't want no Greenham Common here"

Philip W

--
__ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
|__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | /
| || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
___________________________/ p...@argonet.co.uk

Bill Day

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
jlu...@mail1.sas.upenn.edu (John Lupton) wrote:

>Paul (pkNOSPA...@bellsouth.net) wrote:
>

>: bdi...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu wrote in article
>: <35FFF8...@NOSPAMvbimail.champlain.edu>...
>: > Hi,
>: >
>: > I'm trying to compile a list of songs about Reagan (ex-US president) or
>: > that mention him.

>: > THey need not be folk songs, anything you can think of would be helpful.
>: >

well, many years ago, Mark Russell wrote a song about TV evangelists
in which Reagan figures prominently....to the tune of "When the roll
is called up yonder"....and I just happened to tape it..so I could
type it in if you'd like...

Tom King

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
It is interesting to note that no one in this newsgroup appears to be
collecting humorous Bill Clinton songs (with the notable exception of our
three redneck survivalists' who contributed that unique "Klinton" thread).
Maybe it's just that this group doesn't find Bill's problems humorous. Do
folk music fans tend to list to port? With the thunderous domination of
other newsgroups by the L matter, this bunch is rather quiet, despite its
tendency to be very political on other issues. I remember how hideous some
folks thought it was that Newt Gingrich misrepresented some bit of legal
information to congress, though he immediately corrected it and apologized
without requiring a $40 million investigation to weasel it out of him.

Maybe Tom Paxton could update his "Runnin' in the Politics Game" number.
First Gary Hart, now this!

Tom King

Jonathan Dresner

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
In article <6ucqcb$4ds$1...@supernews.com>, Tom King <tk...@tyler.net> wrote:

>Maybe Tom Paxton could update his "Runnin' in the Politics Game" number.
>First Gary Hart, now this!

At the Boston Folk Festival, Paxton did two songs about the "summer of
slime". The first, "Zip It Up" (to the tune of "If you love that
politician, pull the chain") he says he wrote in 1992, but can't find a
reason to retire it. The second was a short song "Linda Tripp, the friend
from hell."

Jonathan

Hodagg

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98

>It is interesting to note that no one in this newsgroup appears to be
>collecting humorous Bill Clinton songs

In fact, there are 3 great cds out by Paul Shanklin in which he parodies
Clinton, Gore Ross Perot, and others...but mostly Clinton. He has taken songs
we all know and love and reworked the lyrics and does them in Clinton's voice.
These things are hilarious. Surprisingly, very little of the material deals
with Clinton's sex problem, many deal with the illegal campaign fundraising.
There's also agreat one of Ted Kennedy sing "SheWas Only 14", at his nephew's
trial regarding sex with the babysitter.
Rick

Irwin Silber

Sep 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/24/98
Sept 24 1998
From: Irwin Silber <isi...@igc.apc.org>

At the time of the Iran-Contra (Contragate) scandal, Barbara Dane wrote
and recorded a song called Gippergate Blues. The recording is with
traditional jazz band and was issued by Arhoolie in a 12" 45 rpm format.
One side has a full 15-minute version of Gippergate Blues. The other
has a shorter, 3-4 minute version, plus -- with the same singer and band
-- a take-off on Reagan and Third World dictators following the melody
and theme of "Boulevard of Dreams." You can get one of these records
for $5 from: Barbara Dane, 4191 Fruitvale Ave., Oakland CA 94602.

Joan Manners

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
I'm forwarding this message which is a response to my posting of 9/18/98

where I listed 24 titles about Reagan. I wrote:

> I'm not sure if all of the above titles are actual songs. Some may be
> comedy routines.

Here's the response from Jeff Morris:

About 1/3 of what Joan listed were comedy routines, like most of the
Rich
Little stuff. ("The Contra Rap" is a song though.)

Another one that came to mind:

"There's No Governor Like Our New Governor" by Allan Sherman from his
last
LP, Togetherness (1967) - when Reagan was governor of California

(The Stan Freberg bit that was listed is also from this time period,
be exact.)

There are at least two full-length LPs by Rich Little about Reagan: The
First
Family Rides Again (similar cover to Vaughn Meader's 1962 smash hit The
First
Family, about the Kennedys) and Ronald Reagan Slept Here.

- Jeff

MCartsonis

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Joan... I never saw your original post... but I learned a great one from Pete
Seeger back in the mid-'80's, and I forget who wrote it. I think it was a
couple from the Bay Area... The tune was "This Old Man", and the tag line was

"This old man should go back home"

Example line:
This old man, he plays eight,
He helped Nancy decorate...

Etc, before and after.

MC

Tom King

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Hodagg wrote in message >In fact, there are 3 great cds out by Paul

Shanklin in which he parodies
>Clinton, Gore Ross Perot, and others...but mostly Clinton.

I heard one Shanklin did called "All your money". It's fall on the floor
funny. Limbaugh played it. You know, it's a shame we can't do like the
Celtic Bards and just camp out at the White House Gate and sing satirical
songs till the King gives it up and lets someone else take a run at it. It
was a pretty good system all in all. In a way, the news media and stand up
comics have taken that job.

If our leaders don't do shameful things, you can't do songs that are very
funny, so plain old political disagreement wouldn't generate the kind of
humor that would unseat the commander-in-chief. Carter became an easy
target and when the laughing got too loud, down he went. Same thing
happened to Gerald Ford. He was a smart man, but his clumsiness made him
look stupid. Bush's often inept leadership made it easy for humorists
successfully to make him look stupid. As a result, he became vulnerable and
missed a second term. Reagan was able to avoid that despite strong left
wing opposition and often almost frantically vicious attempts to ridicule
him, because he was a good leader, focused and clear in his presentation to
the people. You can hate him all you want, but he was hard to successfully
ridicule. It just didn't stick.

Clinton has the same talent. He has a knack for taking credit for good
things and shifting the blame for bad things going on in the country. No
matter his personal life, he makes people think he cares very much about
their problems and his speeches get to the core fears and beliefs of
ordinary people. Unfortunately for him, his personal pecadillos may be
making him vulnerable to the satirists. If people start laughing at him the
way they did at Bush, Ford & Carter, he's in trouble.

So maybe we have taken a page from the bards. Maybe the media isn't such a
bad thing after all. Maybe the litmus test of a good leader is how hard we
laugh at the jokes about him.

Tom King

Frank Hamilton

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

Reagan with teflon facility
Lied to the people with agility
To the Congress as well
Told 'em "Go to Hell"
and called it "plausible deniability".

So if you want someone to impeach
I suggest that it's not beyond reach
Try this as a mantra
Pursue Iran Contra
You'll have something important to screech.

Burma Shave

Bev and Jerry Praver

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
Jim Capaldi wrote:

> Pete Seeger used to do a parody of "This Old Man." He only did it in
> concert, not on a recording.
>
> "This old man, he play one,
> He cut back in Washington.
> With a knick-nack, paddy-whack
> Give the dog a bone,
> This old man should go back home!"

We are the authors of this parody. It was transferred to Pete through
the oral tradition. Most of the time when he did it in concert, he gave
us credit but most people still attribute it to him anyway.

By the way, he did record it on an obscure vinyl named "Swords into
Plowahares, Songs of Freedom and Struggle", on the Folk Tradition Label.
It's a compilation done by Pete, Tom Paxton and about 20 other
performers. We have a copy we recieved in exchange for giving our
permission to use "This Old Man".

Jerry and Bev Praver

MCartsonis

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Bev and Jerry!

I saw Pete do your tune (appropriately credited) in Phoenix back in '83...

When I found myself booked to sing at a student rally against the Solomon
Amendment (draft registration) I called him up and he read me the words over
the phone (continuing that oral tradition, yes?) ... but 15 years later I can't
remember the "He plays fou...HOLY COW... just writing to you has made it come
back!!! "Now we're in El Salvador"!!! This has been driving me crazy!!!

And the fact that I'm actually posting this bit of "real-time" webaction
probably reinforces the idea that sanity was not a strong characteristic of the
sender in the first place...

At any rate, at long last, thanks for a great song.

On a continuing basis,

Matt

Bev and Jerry Praver

Oct 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/11/98
Once again, we must confess to being the authors of "This Old Man".
It's often attributed to Pete Seeger as he has much larger audiences
than we do. But we did indeed write it. It's nice to know so many people
liked it enough to remember it.

Bev and Jerry Praver

Jesse Chisholm

Mar 15, 2023, 1:47:38 PM3/15/23
I realize this is a very late response.

I don't recall which group did this, or what the song is named. I only remember the 1st verse and chorus.
I heard it on the radio several times back in the day.

Of all the major problems in our land,
I think that one is getting out of hand.
I've search and search but nowhere have I seen
A single little tasty Jelly Bean.
Mrs. Cagny at the corner candy store
Has tried and tried but says she can't get more.
She says to write to Washington D.C.
She says to write the President
That where the Jelly Beans were sent.
And he would answer me.

I close my eyes and I can see
A big bag right in front of me
With pinks and reds and blues and blacks and greens.
When I reach out there's nothing there
It seems to me it's so unfair
That the President has all our Jelly Beans.