THE FOLKSTERS

WIZZ KIDD

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

I have an old album that I am trying to find out something about as I
would like to sell it. It is on Mercury Records #20749 and is titled
"New In Folk...". I have no idea how old it is and it is signed by all 4
members.

Are these guys still around making music of any kind???

Is anyone interested in buying it???

My name is Kent and I can be reached at WIZZ...@SPRINTMAIL.COM

WIZZ KIDD

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

> That group kinda rings a bell ... what are the members' names? There was a group
> that used to play a bar in St Augustine, FL way back in the early 1960s. They
> did songs like "They Call The Wind Maria." Just can't remember more about them.
> Richard

This is the same group! Ken Hodges, Fred Williams, Art schill, and Paul
Champion. They were from St Augustine. This may be their first record
and it is autographed by all 4 members. At least they are remembered!!!
Thanks Richard, Kent

Richard Batey

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 21:54:24 -0400, WIZZ KIDD <wizz...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>I have an old album that I am trying to find out something about as I
>would like to sell it. It is on Mercury Records #20749 and is titled
>"New In Folk...". I have no idea how old it is and it is signed by all 4
>members.

That group kinda rings a bell ... what are the members' names? There was a group

Richard Batey

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

On Sun, 07 Jun 1998 23:36:48 -0400, WIZZ KIDD <wizz...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>> That group kinda rings a bell ... what are the members' names? There was a group
>> that used to play a bar in St Augustine, FL way back in the early 1960s. They
>> did songs like "They Call The Wind Maria." Just can't remember more about them.
>> Richard
>

>This is the same group! Ken Hodges, Fred Williams, Art schill, and Paul
>Champion. They were from St Augustine. This may be their first record
>and it is autographed by all 4 members. At least they are remembered!!!
>Thanks Richard, Kent

Isn't this exchange of info on the Net sometimes great??! I've been trying to
remember the name of that group & Art Schill. They played in the Trade Winds bar
back before I could enter the Trade Winds (the drinking age was 21), but I do
remember them because I lived about 45 miles from there and used to go to St.
Augustine... and folk music was/is important to me.

btw, did you readers know that Hoyt Axton had a North Florida connection too?
And Rita Coolidge. And Arthur Smith.

Kent, e-mail me about purchasing that lp. The music isn't *great*, but there's
more to this item for me than the just the music.

Richard

WIZZ KIDD

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

> Isn't this exchange of info on the Net sometimes great??! I've been trying to
> remember the name of that group & Art Schill. They played in the Trade Winds bar
> back before I could enter the Trade Winds (the drinking age was 21), but I do
> remember them because I lived about 45 miles from there and used to go to St.
> Augustine... and folk music was/is important to me.
>
> btw, did you readers know that Hoyt Axton had a North Florida connection too?
> And Rita Coolidge. And Arthur Smith.
>
> Richard

Hello Richard! Thanks for the response. I know of a north Florida
connection to Hoyt Axton as well. When I was in the 8th grade at Orange
Park Elementary School I had a very strange social studies teacher named
Miss Chambliss. She told us at that time that she use to date Hoyt
Axton! I mean this lady was wierd! She was a world travelling feminist
type wacko I thought who wore fuzzy boots to class and all kinds of
strange and bizarre clothing from all around the world. She was a super
nice lady just real wierd to say the least. Tell us about your north
Florida connections. I grew up there. Kent
I knew some skynyrd people and other bands like Johnny Van Zant band and
Molly Hatchet and 38 Special and Curtis Willis band and Toys and
others....

Also, I grew up in Orange Park which is also about 45 minutes from St.
Augustine. It's a small world we live in.

Richard Batey

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

On Mon, 08 Jun 1998 19:43:28 -0400, WIZZ KIDD <wizz...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

>Hello Richard! Thanks for the response. I know of a north Florida
>connection to Hoyt Axton as well.

I think his parents lived in North Jax at one point, but I could be wrong.

>When I was in the 8th grade at Orange
>Park Elementary School I had a very strange social studies teacher named
>Miss Chambliss.

Eighth grade in elementary school? Eight years old? But social studies in 8th
grade sounds right.
Hmmmm. I went to school in Jax. with a Chambliss but she would have been too
young to have dated Hoyt - maybe a relative.

Remember Camp Seminole on Doctor's Lake? Back when Orange Park was a two-lane
sleepy community? And when going to Mandarin was like traveling to the edge of
the world back before the Buckman bridge was built?

>I knew some skynyrd people

They were one year ahead of me in HS at Lee and could be seen fighting out
behind the soda shop before school. I enjoyed them when they did the Stones'
covers before that Southern rock thang. I had a morning paper route & two guys
from the later famous Skynyrd band did too. We folded our papers on the sidewalk
outside of the King Street doughnut shop in the wee hours of the morning.

Back to the music - I think Rita Coolidge went to Jackson HS. And didn't Pat
Boone's grandparents live just off of Herschel in Fairfax Manor?

Richard

jrkin...@gmail.com

Oct 17, 2017, 11:00:42 PM10/17/17
What you have or had should be in the rock and roll Hall of Fame.

Tom

Oct 18, 2017, 1:02:08 PM10/18/17
jrkin...@gmail.com wrote in news:fdbbbb43-28eb-415e-a25b-6cdd6dd021e0
@googlegroups.com:

> What you have or had should be in the rock and roll Hall of Fame.

Huh?

docd...@panix.com

Oct 21, 2017, 2:24:56 AM10/21/17
In article <fdbbbb43-28eb-415e...@googlegroups.com>,
<jrkin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>What you have or had should be in the rock and roll Hall of Fame.

My guess is... rock 'n roll.

DD

Larry Ryan

Jan 11, 2021, 9:21:51 AM1/11/21
I saw Art Shill and the Folksters around 1967. I was only 19 at the time so I got in on a fake ID. The scrutiny at the Trade Winds back then were not what they are today. I have just read "Gamble Rogers, an American Troubadour" and it mentions Art as one of the main contributors to the Florida Folk scene being kept alive at the Trade Winds. His act poked fun at everyone and, would probably be censored in todays PC environment.